Menu

Kigurumi: Is It Trending Where You Are? (Japanese Animal-Themed Onesies)

Spy Car

Hate to bring up a potentially great gift idea post-Christmas, but under our tree were two Kigurumi outfits my wife got for our son in Little Tokyo (here in LA).

These are fleece Japanese onesies that (mostly) have animal themes. The kids (tweens and teens) are wearing these PJs to parties around here, in addition to being sleep-wear. It is what the "cool kids" are doing here in Los Angeles. Is it a trend elsewhere?

I have not tried one myself, by son and wife (who seems to have taken over one of the outfits) seem to be very snug at night, and I don't need to run the heater (which I hate).

Wife has been wearing Sloth (which sounds to me like one of the seven deadly sins :D) while son sports Manatee.

Bill

http://kigurumi-shop.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYHw14V34rNIZm0tV0XptRr1LJgBZ97iGDvMxiLySq20IaAgXv8P8HAQ

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 4

They sell (sold?) similar pyjamas with hoods at Target in Houston. I saw them before Christmas. Since it was Target, they didn't have tons of animal choices, but they had a few and some Christmas themed ones too.

ETA: They've still got them online here:

http://www.target.com/c/union-suits-sleepwear-pajamas-robes-women-s-clothing/-/N-4vpsx

Edited by chiguirre

They sell (sold?) similar pyjamas with hoods at Target in Houston. I saw them before Christmas. Since it was Target, they didn't have tons of animal choices, but they had a few and some Christmas themed ones too.

ETA: They've still got them online here:

http://www.target.com/c/union-suits-sleepwear-pajamas-robes-women-s-clothing/-/N-4vpsx

DD18 bought the unicorn one for spirit week in high school.  Due to snow, the "Wear PJs to school day" was canclled.  She was very, very bummed.  LOL  I think she did wear them to a sleepover on Christmas break though.  If she could wear them on a regular class day without looking like a nutso, she probably would.   (She hangs out with the seniors who are academic jocks/cheerleaders--so it definitely wouldn't fit in to her social grouping LOL). 

Good thing she didn't know there was a name brand version.  I would have had to pay double the price LOL 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande wore unicorn and mouse versions in this 2015 

. (Off-topic, but I Iove their remake of Don't Dream It's Over. I'm a sucker for anything from the 80's.)

Super cute, but I don't think I could actually sleep in one. At least they don't have feet! That would drive me crazy. 

• Like 1

Lalalalalalal I can't hear you.

The last time you mentioned a product trend I ended up buying the Rainbow Loom, which turned out be my mortal enemy.

HAHAHA!! This was my exact thought when I saw this thread. Except Spy Car got me into rainbow looms, our fabulous toaster oven, and Singapore math. 2 out of the 3 were wildly successful.

I would totally wear an animal onesie. But I wouldn't tell anyone I know. Ok, I might. I need a Totoro one, but I am not opening the link because I would probably buy something!

HAHAHA!! This was my exact thought when I saw this thread. Except Spy Car got me into rainbow looms, our fabulous toaster oven, and Singapore math. 2 out of the 3 were wildly successful.

I would totally wear an animal onesie. But I wouldn't tell anyone I know. Ok, I might. I need a Totoro one, but I am not opening the link because I would probably buy something!

He got me into Singapore math and Miquon with the wooden cuissenaire rods.

Yes. Just saw somebody wearing one in the grocery store on Wednesday.

My teen wants one, but the ones that kid likes are either $$$$ or hand wash only.  So I promised to sew one... 'cause the ones I made for my kids when they were small have been long since outgrown.

Oh yes.  A Very Big Deal in the dance world.  All the teams are getting matching ones... 

Oh really good point.  My daughter is also a dancer and I do see girls walking into the studio with them on with dance clothes underneath.  Perfect and cute warm up for over dance clothes.

Spy Car gave me good advice about Singapore a few years back. Perhaps it does offset  some of the pain of stepping on the Rainbow Loom in the dark and still finding rubber bands where rubber bands should never be found.

Edited by idnib

Don't know if it's a trend here..,

BabyBaby has a unicorn hooded onesie, a sugar skull one, and a black one with pink sheep. SweetChild has one that is onk and grey plaid. Diamond would wear on if it wasn't made of polyester fleece. All are from Walmart, none are animal kigurami.

They were them to sleep, around the house, to youth group lock-ins, and will be packing them for the youth group snow camp weekend next week.

I was at the UCLA-Stanford basketball game last night (nephew plays for Stanford) and I laughed when I saw a UCLA student in a Bear Kigarumi in the students' cheering section. And I thought of you all.

But then at half-time some spirit leaders in brown bear Kigarumis came out on the floors with a huge group of little cubs in pint-sized bear suits. So cute. I didn't know they made wee versions.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

I got my DD the cat one this summer. She loves it because it looks like Chi (from the little manga books), but I had no idea it was a thing. She wore it for pajama day at school. It looked exactly like the one SpyCar linked but was much cheaper from someone selling from China on Amazon.