Menu

Need interesting material for psychology class - books, videos

Dc will be taking psychology 2nd semester and will be using a textbook and instructional videos.  I'm looking for interesting reading and videos to supplement those.  I already plan to have dc read Mindset by Carol Dweck. That's the type of thing I'd like - less focus on the minutiae of data collection and more on the results of the research, the stories of the individuals involved, and the actual treatments. 

Dc is particularly interested in treatment of anxiety, depression, and PTSD.  Books or videos?

Can you recommend any interesting videos showing how ABA works and documenting a patient's progress?

Anything on bipolar disorder or schizophrenia?  I am considering the video The Soloist.  Other ideas? 

Thanks for any other suggestions you may have.

Edited by klmama

I am working on a psychology class for next year. Here is a list of books that may be of interest to your student.

·       ·  Children With Emerald Eyes by Mira Rothenberg

·       ·  Dibs : In Search of Self by Virginia Axline

·       ·  The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat: and other clinical stories by Oliver

Sacks

·       ·  Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks

·       ·  One Child by Torey L. Hayden

·       ·  Reviving Ophelia by Mary Phiper

·       ·  The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

·       ·  They Cage the Animals at Night by Jennings Michael Burch

·       ·  Turn About Children by Mary MacCraken

·       ·  Twilight Children: Three Voices No one Heard Until a Therapist Listened by

Torey Hayden

·       ·  A Fractured Mind: My Life with Multiple Personality Disorder by Robert B. Oxnam

o   ·  Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Goleman

o   ·  Feeling Good: the New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns

o   ·  Mozart’s Brain and the fighter Pilot: Unleashing your Brain’s Potential by

Richard Restak, M.D.

o   ·  The Secret Life of the Brain by Richard Restak, M.D.

o   ·  A Starving Madness:Tales of Hunger, Hope and Healing in Psychotherapy by

Judith Ruskay Rabinor, PH.D

o   ·  Schopenhauer’s Porcupines: Intimacy and its Dilemmas by Deborah Leupnitz

o   ·  Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

o   ·  The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of

Brain Science by Norman Doidge

o   ·  Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind by

V. S. Ramachandran

o   ·  Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are by Joseph LeDoux

Edited by Jewels
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Glencoe - Understanding Psychology, older edition.  Here's a link to online resources.  http://glencoe.mheducation.com/sites/0078745179/index.html

Crash Course Psychology videos on YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOPRKzVLY0jJY-uHOH9KVU6

I had planned to use these, but we haven't gotten to them.  http://www.learner.org/series/discoveringpsychology/

• Like 1

The great courses has a nice psychology series too. Two actually, we used "Mysteries of human behavior", the other looked more difficult ( this was for a younger teen).

She picked some areas of interest to her for our additional readings- eating disorders, mental health, impacts of neglect & foster care, plus others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.