Menu

What's with the ads?

CookIslandsMommy

Writing with Skill OR CAP Writing & Rhetoric

If you had to pick one of these over the other for Garde 6 onwards, which would you pick?

- do they both cover writing narratives? 

- for those of you who have done either program, what did you find worked well or did not work well?

Thank you

my son used W&R in 5th (Narrative, book 2).  He hated it.  I thought it would be fun, but he really needed more direct instruction. 

He used WWS in 6th.  For him, this worked much better because it was very broken down and specific. 

Both taught Narrative (well, we were using the narrative book of W&R!).

You can look at generous samples of both online, so I'd really take a good look and see what you think your child would respond to more.  Maybe try a practice week with each?

• Like 1

I have no experience with Writing & Rhetoric, but my 10 year old loves WWS.  She is right next to me right now, so I asked what she likes about it and she says it explains things well and teaches everything step-by-step.  She really enjoys the story excerpts too and is always asking if we can get the whole book.  It does a good job covering narration and her skills have increased dramatically.  I also like that it provides a lot of guidance and practice about creating outlines.  She now routinely uses outlines to help her take notes in other classes.

Honestly, I thought she’d hate the book when it first arrived because there was a lot of reading in the first few weeks.  She can be a bit scatterbrained and if something doesn’t capture her attention immediately she’ll spend the day gazing out the window.  But she really looks forward to her WWS lessons.

• Like 1

We are halfway through book 2 of WWS, and now that I am starting to see the bigger picture, I am liking this program more and more. I am so glad we made a switch from W&R, which we much preferred in early grades to WWE. I think Fable and Narrative books were fabulous in third and fourth grades, and if I had a third kid, I would use them again. However, somewhere in upper books I began to get lost on what was probable or believable or .... basically I wanted something else and I must say WWS has been just as perfect for us in grades 5 and 6 as W&R had been earlier. We are committed to finishing all three levels, and I expect my kids will have all the necessary skills to forge ahead in high school writing. So I say go for WWS and you won't regret it.

• Like 2

We are halfway through book 2 of WWS, and now that I am starting to see the bigger picture, I am liking this program more and more. I am so glad we made a switch from W&R, which we much preferred in early grades to WWE. I think Fable and Narrative books were fabulous in third and fourth grades, and if I had a third kid, I would use them again. However, somewhere in upper books I began to get lost on what was probable or believable or .... basically I wanted something else and I must say WWS has been just as perfect for us in grades 5 and 6 as W&R had been earlier. We are committed to finishing all three levels, and I expect my kids will have all the necessary skills to forge ahead in high school writing. So I say go for WWS and you won't regret it.

This is where I'm heading. We LOVED W&R Fable and Narrative, but by the end of Narrative 2 dd was itching to just work on her own stories. Chreia has been a disappointment. I feel like we're being dumped into persuasive essays with no real instruction on paragraphs first. I'm thinking we'll try WWS for 6th next year. For my 2nd dd I'm planning on doing the first two W&R books and then doing some WWE possibly. I heard there were placement tests for WWE but I can't find them on the site for some reason, but I should probably have both dd take them...

ETA: found the placements!

Edited by Spudater
  • Like 1

Is one better than the other for kids who need to not have to come up with their own ideas and have not had a lot of writing instruction. (Just a bit of WWE 2 a while ago.) 

My 4th grader (10 y/o) started CAP Chreia (first CAP product) this past Autumn and likes it well enough that when I tried to get him to do something easier/less writing (I am on a simplicity kick right now bc of my other son) he did it for a week but then wanted to go back to CAP Chreia and Proverb. He'd previously done Writing Tales 1 (another great program) and I think that just by dint of his age and ...uh let's call it his intellectual maturity... he wouldn't want to be doing narrative exercises, even if he hadn't done them before. 

I did teach him how to make an outline, just on my own with health and History topics. I've no idea if or when CAP teaches outlining.

I have WWS sitting here and I do want him to do it eventually. But there's something about it, I can't put my finger on it, that I can tell he's just not ready for yet. 

Is one better than the other for kids who need to not have to come up with their own ideas and have not had a lot of writing instruction. (Just a bit of WWE 2 a while ago.)

W&R Fable is MUCH easier than WWS. It does require a very small amount of creativity in the form of being able to amplify narratives. I usually brainstorm ideas for that with my kids on the whiteboard. WWS doesn’t have a creative writing component (at least that I can remember or that I’ve run across yet) bc it seems to be focused with giving pre-expository writing tools (outlining and writing from an outline, polishing sentences, organizing ideas into paragraphs,etc.). W&R Chreia and up would be a bad fit for a kid who needs a lot of hand holding imo for reasons I gave in my previous post.

• Like 1

I like W&R for the younger years. WWS is a lot meatier and my daughter has benefited from the step bt step instructions. She loves the excerpts as well and has started a new book list from them. We will definitely continue with WWS.

My answer would depend on the individual child with those two options. My natural writer would loathe WWS but she probably would have thrived in W&R. (She outgrew their publication schedule.) The one just above her would have needed the more direct teaching of WWS, and W&R may have frustrated him. The latter was/is a stereotypical STEM kid who saw no reason for 5 paragraphs if he could sum it up in 5 syllables.

• Like 1