Menu

Pls Share your 10th grade courses!

My rising 10th grader is going to be split up between home, online and the school next year.

High School:

AP Biology

Drama

Engineering Drawing

Home:

AP Calculus BC

AP English Language & Composition

Online:

AP History (not sure)

AP Art History (could be at the school...not sure when it is offered yet)

Intermediate German (B1/B2)

What do you use for German?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

History- Notgrass Exploring World History

English-

Windows to the World

IEW Essay Intensive

Literature & Analysis of:

• The Art of War

• Julius Ceasar

• Here I Stand

• A Tale of Two Cities

• North and South

• The Boys Who Challenged Hitler

• Bridge to the Sun

• Cry, the Beloved Country

• Animal Farm

• Mere Christianity

Science- Discovering Design with Chemistry or Guest Hollow’s Chemistry

Math- MUS Pre-Calculus then Calculus

Foreign Language- Easy Peasy Spanish 2

Bible/Christian Worldview-

Tru U dvds

Reading

Electives-

Cooking classes

Photography

Film Studies

Volunteer- At our local donation and food center

Edited by coralloyd

still working this out, exactly, but probably:

- Alg 2 (AOPS)

- AP Bio (like to find him an online class for this)

- English (no idea yet)

- German 2.5, 3 (OSU)

- History (HotRW?)

- some other social science/social-studies thing, since he loves it.  Econ maybe?

• Like 1

edited my op--can anyone comment as to whether the load looks too heavy for a good student but NOT a huge study geek?

Calculus-Wilson Hill

Spanish 2-Wilson Hill

Rhetoric 1-WTMacademy

US History--WTMacademy or onlineg3

Literature of the New World-WTM Academy or an onlineg3 lit class

Physics: clover creek

to me, this looks pretty heavy for my son. I know physics with clover creek is very demanding. I am sure Calc will be moderately hard (math is his best subject so..) Spanish with Wilson Hill will be moderate. I am guessing WTM academy classes, hwich we've never taken, will be lots of work--

any comments appreciated. DS14 is a good student but doesn't go 'over and above' and is not a huge study nerd (like me LOL) so I think this might be overdoing it. At the same time...it's 10th grade and I want him to step it up a little. We could do US HIstory at home just the two of us, as I love the topic, but we tend to butt heads....

ETA just saw that Onlineg3 has a US History Course and their courses are fun and not as demanding. That might work.

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 1

any comments appreciated. 

I'd also look at how many live online classes you have listed here. I count six. That's too much for us, but some kids can handle that. WHA & WTMA classes meet twice per week. Clover Creek just has the one live meeting per week, right?

I'd probably go easier on the classes you can go easier on (US History and/or Lit). While stepping it up is fine, you want to leave him with enough time to explore his own interests. And you pretty much don't have any room for a light elective with that schedule either. I've always ended up on the heavy side and always found it to be a mistake for my eldest.

Depends on his goals (which probably aren't very clear right now), but he has Junior & Senior years left & you don't want to burn him out. Step it up without making him leap, right? 

• Like 1

I'd also look at how many live online classes you have listed here. I count six. That's too much for us, but some kids can handle that. WHA & WTMA classes meet twice per week. Clover Creek just has the one live meeting per week, right?

I'd probably go easier on the classes you can go easier on (US History and/or Lit). While stepping it up is fine, you want to leave him with enough time to explore his own interests. And you pretty much don't have any room for a light elective with that schedule either. I've always ended up on the heavy side and always found it to be a mistake for my eldest.

Depends on his goals (which probably aren't very clear right now), but he has Junior & Senior years left & you don't want to burn him out. Step it up without making him leap, right? 

i agree here. limit the live online classes for scheduling sake. it gets tricky to have so-many hours per week you have to watch (either live or delayed)... plus all the homework time. we've had 1 WTMA class so far, and while liking it a lot, it does provide daily homework as well. i would mix up live with asynchronous with at-home if you can.

• Like 1

edited my op--can anyone comment as to whether the load looks too heavy for a good student but NOT a huge study geek?

Calculus-Wilson Hill

Spanish 2-Wilson Hill

Rhetoric 1-WTMacademy

to me, this looks pretty heavy for my son. I know physics with clover creek is very demanding. I am sure Calc will be moderately hard (math is his best subject so..) Spanish with Wilson Hill will be moderate. I am guessing WTM academy classes, hwich we've never taken, will be lots of work--

any comments appreciated. DS14 is a good student but doesn't go 'over and above' and is not a huge study nerd (like me LOL) so I think this might be overdoing it. At the same time...it's 10th grade and I want him to step it up a little. We could do US HIstory at home just the two of us, as I love the topic, but we tend to butt heads....

ETA just saw that Onlineg3 has a US History Course and their courses are fun and not as demanding. That might work.

Hi Halcyon,

Ds will be taking AP Calculus at WHA next year as well. In addition, we are exploring outsourced Spanish including asynchronous options such as Homeschool Spanish Academy due to scheduling challenges (online live and dual enrollment courses).  

Can you share a bit about the WHA Spanish in terms of format, weekly workload, conversational aspects, etc..?

Thanks,

Edited by dereksurfs

I'm sure about.....

Alg. 2- Thinkwell

Modern History- DIY using OUP's Pages from History

Spanish 2- Rosetta- don't care if it's not the best our umbrella says it's good enough and it is easy (DS is dyslexic, learning grammar how to spell in English is hard enough).

Not sure what  curriculum

Economics- might just use Power Basics and call it good

Biology- We've done life Science to death so I want to focus on Evolution and Ecology, it's more fun

English - I'm torn. I'm leaning toward IEW's WttW and? EE I just have to decide if we can deal with the religious stuff.  If not then WwaT, Rule book for Argument (maybe the workbook?), and Modern Lit using Norton and Novels or maybe I give in and buy a program/curriculum

Something for the required Art credit.... maybe Manga drawing, or something online that teaches you how to draw D&D monsters.... 

Of all of it the Art is going to be the most difficult (because of attitude).

that's 6.5 credits

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

Calculus-Wilson Hill

Spanish 2-Wilson Hill

Rhetoric 1-WTMacademy

I would be worried about total written output required in three WTMA classes. I would probably either opt for Rhetoric and do lit at home and pace writing around other assignments or the other way around. I wouldn't attemp both unless I had a very eager liberal arts kid planning on pursuing English in college. My guess is history class will also be writing heavy.

• Like 2

I'm sure about.....

Alg. 2- Thinkwell

Modern History- DIY using OUP's Pages from History

Spanish 2- Rosetta- don't care if it's not the best our umbrella says it's goo and it is easy

Not sure what curriculum

Economics- might just use Power Basics and call it good

Biology- We've done life Science to death so I want to focus on Evolution and Ecology, it's more fun

English - I'm torn. I'm leaning toward IEW's WttW and? EE I just have to decide if we can deal with the religious stuff. If not then WwaT, Rule book for Argument (maybe the workbook?), and Modern Lit using Norton and Novels or maybe I give in and buy a program/curriculum

Something for the required Art credit.... maybe Manga drawing, or something online that teaches you how to draw D&D monsters....

Of all of it the Art is going to be the most difficult (because of attitude).

that's 6.5 credits

My daughter loves mark crilley mastering manga books. He also does YouTube videos that are excellent.

• Like 3

DD15's plan for next year:

AP Lang online, PA Homeschoolers, working on the app

Environmental Science self study, with textbook, Great Courses videos, independent project monitoring local ponds and lab work at aquarium downtown

Pre-Calculus, TT, finishing up. We had a major family crisis this fall which set her back in pre-calc this year, so we decided to break it up into 2 years.

Spanish III with tutor

Russian I with tutor

a coop class, haven't decided yet

violin and piano, orchestra and chamber music group

Maria

Those of you doing Rhetoric 1 via WTMA or CAP, are you considering it an English or an Elective (Rhetoric) course on your transcripts?

I'm considering it as an English course at the moment. But she's eventually going to end up with several electives in lit, writing, etc by 12th so I may reconsider shifting that depending on what makes the most sense based on later classes.

Yep, my DD loves them too, sadly she's not the one who needs the art credit. Mark's YT video's is likely what we will use but we'll gear it toward D&D somehow.

I'd you're a prime member I saw a book yesterday in Prime Reading called HOW To Draw Fantasy Art and RPG Maps... also two Crilley Manga titles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Everything is up in the air for us now. We have Derek Owens for preCalculus. And DE for speech, English, and government. The main questions are what will we do for science and what else we will do.

Before husband got laid off, I had wanted to do a writing class with ..now I cannot remember the name, that everyone talks about here being so great. And wanted to do Clover Creek Physics. But now, I am thinking we should stop doing science at home and move everything to the community college. There will be karate also, which includes him teaching some classes, some apprenticing.

Yep, my DD loves them too, sadly she's not the one who needs the art credit.  Mark's YT video's is likely what we will use but we'll gear it toward D&D somehow.

lucky you guys with the art credits. we need an art credit too, but being california (with onerous a-g requirements), we don't have much choice but to DE. i'm thinking an intro to photoshop course as my son is big into computers - but will likely wait until junior year to begin DE.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My 10th grade plan for next year for my son so far:

Algebra 2 (AoPS)

English - Research & Composition (local homeschool class)

World History (local homeschool class)

Honors Chemistry (online - Jay Wile's new class)

AP Computer Science (online)

Spanish - still not sure where.  He's been taking online classes through Homeschool Spanish Academy and that is not going well.

• Like 1

Well, we are mostly done with 10th grade for the year, due to spinal fusion surgery and recovery.  This is what we ended up doing spring semester:

Algebra and Geometry (Mathusee) (Geometry will be picked back up in the fall.  Algebra has a month or so to go.  We'll pick that back up when possible, but no hurry.)

Chemistry (Singapore Chemistry Matters) (We did Paleontology in the fall for half credit, then switched in the spring to Chem.  It will be completed in the fall.)

Medieval World History (Human Odyssey) (half credit.  We did Government in the fall for half credit).

French 2 (Galore Park and Rosetta Stone)

English II (Abeka Vocab, Abeka English Lit, misc. composition assignments, Stories from Dante and Siegfried and Roland)

Art I (was going to be Art History, but we haven't finished, and we'll pick it back up in fall, probably with drawing books instead of art history) (will be half credit eventually)

Physical Education II (all that Physical Therapy is certainly educational!)

• Like 1

I'm just starting to think about 10th grade.

Algebra II

Spanish 1 & 2 (dual enrollment)

Some sort of computer science (dual enrollment)

US History (most likely AP done with FundaFunda schedule)

American Literature and undecided on writing

Chemistry

PE & Health (probably Oak Meadow)

Quoting myself to update with our (maybe?) final plan:

Algebra II: Math Without Borders

Scratch Spanish; it was a bust this year. She's switching to ASL. She's doing Currclick's over the summer, and we'll either continue with them or use the classes at our local Hearing Center.

Computer Science (dual enrollment). She'll be doing Programming Logic and the first semester of programming some language or other.

US History. Probably FundaFunda. May or may not take AP, possibly take the CLEPs instead of AP

American Literature: Of Mice and Men, My Antonia, The Great Gatsby, Poe's short stories, a poetry volume, and some Twain (haven't decided yet).

Writing???

Chemistry (at least one semester dual enrollment, possibly both semesters)

PE & Health (Oak Meadow)

I'm having a bit of a meltdown.  I overloaded dd last year and had to pull back.  I think she's *still going to be overloaded this year, combining what she needs and what she wants.

Another college environmental science course over the summer

American History (Probably HO, but I keep eyeing OM.)

Saxon Geometry

Bio (probably CK12 and heavy labs)

English, not fully decided

French, BTB 2

plus

Musical Theatre

teachers aide for Survival Skills

Envirothon study

she wants to help with my little kids Envirothon class

and there's still a wide range of co-op options to be announced.

She's also taking a leadership role with the junior firefighters, and will want to study for her driver's permit.  Plus P/SAT study.  And softball.

I wanted her to use this year for a big service project, but that's not going to happen.  

I think we're converging on the ghost of the outline of a plan:

Geometry - Videotext (she's completing Alg 2 this year)

Spanish - finishing up Spanish 2 at home in the fall, taking SPAN 2 at the CC in the spring

English - Great Course Utopian & Dystopian Literature + Bravewriter classes

Psychology - Homemade, using some Edx, Crash Course, etc.

Economics (.5) - with a focus on Behavioral economics. Edx, Crash course, and books

Creative Writing 2 - Great Course, Future learn course, independent projects

Theater & Film 2 (.5) - focus on screenwriting, maybe? this is pretty up in the air

Halcyon, I realize you posted your questions about your plan quite awhile ago, so maybe you've moved on, but my thought when I looked at your ds's planned schedule was that the amount of reading & writing in the WTMA Rhetoric + WTMA Literature might be too much for him, given that you've said he's not a super speedy reader and I bet that will be a *lot* of writing.

• Like 2