Menu

Wah. Cigarette smoke and baby clothes

plain jane

We are going through a tough financial blip right now and I needed to reach out and ask on a local FB group for some clothes for the baby.

A couple people replied and gave us some but the ones that would fit best and are in the nicest shape came from a smoking home. Or maybe it was smoking grandparents as I picked up from the grandma's house. Some of the clothes are better than others.

At any rate I am really in need of baby clothes but I'm a bit worried about these. My husband used to smoke a long time ago but never inside and I never had an issue with the smell sticking to his clothes so I thought a run through the wash with OxyClean would help. It didnt do the trick.

I've read to soak the load with white vinegar (which I can do because I have a top loader) but I'm wondering if this will be good enough? Do I really want to use these clothes for a new baby? If they no longer smell like smoke will they be "safe" or should I possibly pass them along? I know beggars can't be choosers but I'm not willing to risk my baby's health if it comes down to that.

I'd do the white vinegar soak, then run them through a couple of extra wash cycles. If the smell is gone they should be totally fine--any chemical residue so stubborn it doesn't come off in multiple washings is not likely to randomly rub off on the baby.

Edited by maize
  • Like 7

Soak in Classic blue dawn in warm washer, hand swish them around a bit. Drain water, Rinse, Drain water.  Rinse in vinegar. Wash.  Lay in the sun afterwards if you have that option (clothesline allows air through, but even laying on a blanket outsice can help). 

If the residual odor can't be washed away, I don't see how that very, very minimal exposure could cause harm to the baby.

It takes a lot of washing to remove the smell from clothes exposed to a smoker.

I would soak in warm soapy water for 2-3 days, changing the water several times.  The water will become a very nasty green-ish yellow.  That alone might make you decide to stop, and that's ok.  

If you want to continue, keep soaking, changing the water every day or so until it's fairly clear.  Then wash on hot or warm, over and over and over again until the smell is completely gone.  (I'd put the garments in with a regular load after the first few.  I'd also hang to dry.)  For cotton garments, it may only take 3-4 washings.  For anything that's not a natural fiber, you may never be able to get the smell out and it may not be worth trying.

Honestly, laundry isn't free and your time is worth something too.  Keep looking; maybe you can find enough things elsewhere to avoid using these clothes.  There are certainly risks to exposing baby to cigarette smoke; it would obviously be better to avoid doing so if possible.

Edited by justasque

I am sorry things are tough right now. I would find other clothes from a nonsmoking home. This is your baby and if you do not feel comfortable using those clothes (I wouldn't either), then you shouldn't use them. Have you tried contacting your church or a local church and ask for assistance. I know if you contacted our parish they would send out an email blast asking for baby clothes in size you need and most likely give you gift cards for the local grocery store as well and no strings attached (expecting your to join or try to pressure you to come to a service). Have you checked Craigslist? If you don't mind me asking how old is your baby or when is your baby due? Boy or girl? You never know someone here on the Hive may have the sizes you need and would be happy to mail them to you. Hugs and congratulations on your baby!

I like Felsnaphtha soap for getting residue out of clothes.  Even oil stains that have been washed multiple times will often come out with Felsnaptha. I use a rasp to flake the soap into warm soap water. Let the clothes soak, then pour the whole thing into the washer.  For spots I just scrub it with the bar (after wetting cloth thoroughly).

• Like 1

I like Felsnaphtha soap for getting residue out of clothes.  Even oil stains that have been washed multiple times will often come out with Felsnaptha. I use a rasp to flake the soap into warm soap water. Let the clothes soak, then pour the whole thing into the washer.  For spots I just scrub it with the bar (after wetting cloth thoroughly).

You are not the first person to mention this. I need to get a bar of this stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

I've never had trouble getting smoke smell out of clothes (might take a few spins through the wash), but the last time I needed to, I was using a top loader. I can imagine it being harder in a front loader due to a lot less water and agitation. You might see if you can wash them in a top loader. 

• Like 1

After our house fire we let almost everything made of fabric go as unsalvagable, but for the few stuffies and dresses and baby blankets having sentimental value I was finally successful using activated charcoal. Washing the clothes and letting them air in the sunshine for an extended period works too, but activated charcoal was quickest. Wash them up first, then bag them airtight in plastic with the bag of activated charcoal. After a week the smell was noticeably diminished and within 2 weeks or so completely gone. I might even try a second wash after a few days if you need them faster than that.

Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Moso-Natural-Purifying-Naturally-Pollutants/dp/B006TFO9T8/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483575265&sr=1-5&keywords=Activated+charcoal+bag

• Like 4