Menu

Severely vitamin D deficient

She is now on a very restrictive diet for a month that includes no gluten, so I guess she won't be getting any of that synthetic folic acid.

Check your rice.  Keep checking labels.  Sometimes it is added to non-wheat items.

But yeah, it has occurred to me that, just perhaps, some subgroup of people who improve on GF or improve eating "organic" might be improving in small part by avoiding folic acid.

• Like 2

That's super interesting.  My dd who can't seem to keep up her vitamin D levels is possibly on the cusp of having an autoimmune disease (many symptoms), though hasn't actually been diagnosed with one yet. Her doc is working on increasing her vitamin D levels.  I'd be really interested in the cause and effect aspect, but it sounds like it's not known. 

Do you take 5000 regularly, year-round?  

Yes, winter and summer make no difference to me since my skin doesn't seem to make Vitamin D

I deal with Vitamin D deficiency along with other vit/minerals due to my Autoimmune condition (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis to be precise). I take a prescription compound daily of Vit D3 (10,000 IUs), B12 & methylfolate amoung other supplements. I have my levels checked periodically through out the year along with my Thyroid labs because Vit D is fat soluble unlike B12 and others that are water soluble and that means you can "over-dose". While I live in Oklahoma which is fairly sunny and play outside with my children for sun exposure alot of times with Vit D deficiency (and other vit/minerals) you may have other problems like leaky gut/autoimmunity to where your body cannot properly extract & process the necessary nutrients like we were created to do. So in my case sun exposer may give me some to little or no compared to a "normal" person & I need it.

As for extreme fatigue I have dealt with that for my whole life. My thryoid issues start back as a teen & I was also born with some congenital heart defects that played a role. For me I feel like I'm still whittling away at what my body needs and each step has helped. The D3/B12/Methylfolate was a huge "shot in the arm" for me when I started it a couple of years ago. However, if it doesn't 100% help I'd look into more areas that you might need to address. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1