Menu

Accelerated Learner Goals for 2017!

DD is starting college classes in 2 weeks, and plans to do more next year (if she does what she wants to do, she will essentially be full-time college for academics except for maybe a fun online class or two). She also just picked up a project that I'm sure I'll be sharing more about as it gets more solid.

She also is considering trying out for the community college cheer team in the fall-so she's planning a lot of gym time this Spring. As she pointed out, there is no age restriction on doing so. They cheer for basketball games and apparently compete in the junior college league at UCA.

End of year update. She completed her first semester with a 4.0. She is registered for three classes in the fall, will be teaching a class at Athena's Academy as a junior instructor, and will be doing a few things at home that may go by the wayside or be pushed to 2nd semester.

She also decided against the CC team and will be doing an All Star regional travel team instead. The amount of volume in a college gym during a basketball game was more than she was comfortable with-and that also puts her with kids her age or close to it several times a week for practice, which I think she needs. She started pre-season practice last week and is enjoying it so far (they spend the summer just working on skills, and then do choreography right before school starts for PS kids here. Fortunately, the college starts two weeks after PS does.)

• Like 5

Math:

Finish AOPS Intro to Algebra

Participate in 4 math contests (already doing CML, 3 more to go)

AMC8 prep (possibly participating in 2018)

Science:

Focus on physics 

Computer Science:

Focus on robotics, raspberry pi, python

Finish the game that DS started developing last year!

Learn a few simple algorithms

Music:

Too much is going on in this department. Need to prioritize and drop some stuff.

Sports:

Train more often to pass the tryouts to become eligible for Black Belt testing in his second martial arts (may or may not happen in 2017).

Start running with dad in spring when the weather improves.

Literature:

Read 2 classics in 2017 in addition to all the free reading.

Personal:

Get more sleep

Read a lot more than last year! 

Be able to cook a simple dinner once a week by the end of 2017

Bike and hike more

Take care of personal hygiene without reminders, prompts etc

The things that are bolded are what we have completed. Others have to wait! My list looks too ambitious now!

• Like 3

DD (5) only slightly advanced

•Finish Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. She has 80 lessons to go and has surpassed the book in her own reading (reading multisyllable and r-controlled vowel words which we haven't covered yet formally)

•Start AAS1

•swim independently. She's got the mechanics down but is terrified to let the teacher let go of her.

We also need to potty train DS who is turning 3. He is physically ready but mentally blocked. Says he's scared to pee without a diaper. He's had some success and has excellent bladder control.

We also started AAR-Pre level with DS. Going slowly and at his pace.

DD finished OPGTR in March. She was determined to do multiple lessons a day for a while.

We ended up holding off on AAS until I get a better idea of her spelling abilities. She seems somewhat of a natural speller and I'm not sure I want to invest in a program quite yet.

DD is starting to swim on her own. We switched instructors and the new guy is amazing. She can swim short distances underwater. They teach underwater first. Well continue swim in the summer.

She's expressed interest in her bike again. She's been afraid of it for a while and now says she wants to learn to ride it. Our goal for the summer is to get her riding.

She "graduates" preschool tomorrow and can't stop talking about how much she'll miss school and how she doesn't want to go to K next year. We will work on getting her ready for that transition this summer as well.

• Like 1

Big Picture Goals for Me:

Complete UCSD hospital internship and nursing school pre-reqs with a 4.0.

Rock the TEAS 

ETA: I am dipping my toe into the water to see if I want to pursue an advanced nursing degree (e.g. women's or mental health nurse practitioner, midwife, or anesthetist)

Just to update on my end, I have thus far volunteered 50 hours in the ER at UCSD and finished the spring semester with a 4.0 (11 units of Stats, Chem, and Communications). I have 12 units of physiology, anatomy, and developmental psych to knock out this summer while the kids are in camp (and big test physio this afternoon -- GULP).

Step by step... 

• Like 4

I love these threads as well! Thanks for starting one!

We were doing bare minimum last 6 months with my DS9, due to a huge construction project we had going (actually, still going, but getting close to the end) that took all of my energy. Now we started Adventures in Fantasy book, and it is already veered away from the topic into writing a novel that is a mix of Quarks Chronicles, Warriors, and Star Wars. It looks like it will be a mix of writing and science. My DD14, who hates writing in general decided to join with her own project, but hers is more into politics, so I hope it's going to  be fun for all of us.

Second part of science with DS9 will be gardening. I hoped to start it in the Fall, since the original construction date was September, but now it is still about a couple of weeks away. Now we can actually start some things.

I also hope to finally stop dreaming and book a trip to France. Kids will get to practice their French, as well as get a nice art and history enrichment experience.

For math I plan to enroll him in AOPS online class some time after the trip, and hopefully try AMC8 next fall, but it will depend on his actual level by that time.

Well, we came back from France trip, which was amazing (yay to my planning skills :) ). The garden is growing, the novel  - not so much. I haven't mentioned Math Kangaroo in the post, but he did it the second time and showed amazing improvement in his score. AOPS prealgebra class is coming up in July, but he did quite a bit of Alcumus already.

• Like 2