Menu

Fell down the FB rabbit hole of bad nutritional advice

Moxie

It is amazing how much people will argue for their totally wrong opinion. Where do people even learn some of this?!?

"Pineapples are a fruit so it takes more calories to digest them then they have in them". So, you could starve to death eating all the fruit you want??

"The fat you eat is the fat you wear. Fat coats the outside of all the cells in your body and won't allow nutrients in". What?!?

"Weight loss is simple, move more and eat in moderation". Clearly this person know nothing about insulin issues.

And the whole "natural sugar in fruit is fine!" thing. Crazy.

The whole conversation started when a healthy living guru posted a list of "Zero Calorie Foods!!" Oy vey.

Really, the whole conversation was depressing.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 6

This is one of many reasons that I thoroughly dislike Facebook even though I have an account. It's the only way I keep up with some people I care about, and I'm on several groups that I wouldn't have access to otherwise.

We visited Silicon Valley in June, and I did NOT take a selfie in front of the Facebook corporate sign even though we were close by at one point. Friends that we had lunch with us there teased me about that because they're the same way.

Between all of the rotten advice given, rants about politics, and people who post multiple times a day about trivial things, it's quite a study in human behavior.

It's a tool though. Just a tool...

• Like 1

I like FB for the most part. It helps me keep up with family. We have a large extended family, so when my uncle was in the hospital, his daughters posted updates on FB. It's nice for things like that. When a beloved former high school teacher recently passed away FB became a source of info regarding the memorial service. It was also a venue where his former students (he taught for 38 years, so there were a lot) were able to share stories and memories and that was just just wonderful to read. Otherwise, most of the time I just roll my eyes and keep scrolling down. I don't engage or comment on any posts that are political or religious or... well, the only thing I comment on are family pictures.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

Well, to be fair the whole internet is full of poor diet advice. Most people choose their diet the way they choose their faith, they pick what they like and adjust facts to justify their train of thought. And, different people and all their issues make it so that there is no blanket "truth" anyway. My sister (a hotshot nurse) told my oldest when she was 13 that juice could not make you fat. That you need to nutrients in juice and my 13yo was already drinking as much juice as I would let her anyway. She often consumes 1500 calories a day just in juice, because a nurse told her it can't make you fat. She is now 28 and struggles to get her weight below 225 and she's SHORT. I really could kick my sister, but she spoke with so much authority. GRRR. So, you don't need Facebook for stupid advice, lol.

• Like 5

I like pineapple.  Must eat more pineapple because the acid burns through those fat cell.

Oh, wait, was that not supposed to be my takeaway.

So much bad advice.  Event he experts get it wrong so it is difficult to know the right thing to do. 

• Like 4

I don't think it's a Facebook thing. I think there is just a lot of terrible advice nutritionally everywhere.

I've read things here in this forum, written in excruciating detail , that are so very very very wrong too. 

• Like 3

Like everything else from how much sleep you need to what type of exercise is best, I think it varies so much by the individual. Some people thrive on vegan diets. Some people thrive on low carb. Some people live to 100 eating nothing but Velveeta.

Mostly people are crazy. I want to punch the weight loss is simple person in the throat with my pudgy hand.

• Like 7

That's a bummer about the pineapple.  I was getting ready to start the "chocolate chip cookie-pineapple diet"  The one where you eat enough pineapple to delete the calories consumed in the chocolate chip cookies.   :lol:

I remember the look of astonishment when the nurse would ask how much juice my girls drank.  When I answered maybe 1 cup of week (we sometimes have orange juice on Sundays) they couldn't believe it.   My girls love juice, and  I do buy it occasionally, but it is not part of our routine.

• Like 5

What is crazy about "The natural sugar in fruit is fine"?   I think one would be hard put to make a clear case for its craziness from peer-reviewed  research. 

Someone thinking the sugar in fruit is magically not treated by the body as sugar is crazy. Diabetics have to count it. They can't just gorge on fruit because it grew on a plant. Sugar is sugar. The fiber content and type of sugar matters, but it's still sugar.

• Like 16

Someone thinking the sugar in fruit is magically not treated by the body as sugar is crazy. Diabetics have to count it. They can't just gorge on fruit because it grew on a plant. Sugar is sugar. The fiber content and type of sugar matters, but it's still sugar.

And then that extends to fruit smoothies are fine.  They are made with fruit.  They are a sugar bomb most of the time.  But hey it's fruit.

Yes fruit has health benefits.  Doesn't mean it's a good idea to eat 10 bananas or fruit all day long.  And some might say well duh....everything in moderation.  Define moderation. 

• Like 3

What is crazy about "The natural sugar in fruit is fine"?   I think one would be hard put to make a clear case for its craziness from peer-reviewed  research. 

I find there are a lot of ideas around this that go astray.

There are people who have to watch sugar especially because they are diabetic.  And people who are fruitarians, though they have bigger issues IMO. 

Some people seem to think that  if a sugar is "natural" and not refined, it has different effects on the body.  Like, table sugar or corn syrup is bad, but if you use honey or fruit sugar or maple syrup it is ok.  The science says that's bunk, as far as the sugar itself goes, its the same. 

Then I see these headlines say - using honey etc is no better for you than using sugar.  Well, except that in that form, there are flavor elements that may mean you use less (cost too) and also there are other things in it with more nutritional value.

Or - people forget that if you take the sugar out of the fruit or change its form, so you don't have to eat it with all that fibre and use your teeth, it isn't going to be the same as eating actual fruit which most people can only do so much of.  Sometimes people who like to make smoothies and juice run into this, they are really taking in a lot of sugar as a liquid.

But I also see parents who are so scared of sugar they won't even let their kids eat fruit as a snack or after supper. 

• Like 6

But I also see parents who are so scared of sugar they won't even let their kids eat fruit as a snack or after supper. 

Oh you mean how a doctor told me fruit is good for my kids, but the dentist told me, "They shouldn't eat a lot of fruit."

I am constantly frustrated by the comments doctors give me (that I didn't even ask for).  It feels like they just make shi* up as they go along.

I think what is good about fruit verses a candy bar, for example, is with the fiber, etc. you are not likely to be able to eat 10 pieces of fruit (emphasis on not likely because my sugar addicted mother could down 5-6 bananas in one sitting).  You can easily down several candy bars.  So the added fiber helps keep things in check.  HOWEVER, the fiber does not erase the fact the sugar is there.  So it's not really ideally a free for all either. 

Sugar is actually a natural food item.  Yes it is processed, but so is honey.  So is coconut sugar.  So is agave.  Yet somehow, someone out there convinced people those things are practically health foods.

• Like 6

But... help me here because I know nothing. Aren't there some foods - like, say, raw carrots - that are net zero calories? Not that that would be a comprehensive diet solution by any means (one once you drown them in ranch dressing or cook them with oil, they're far from zero calories). But is that not correct? I don't know about pineapple, but if all you ate was pineapple, I think you would eventually starve to death. There's not enough calories - not to mention varied nutrients - to sustain you, right?

I find that a lot of the nutrition advice seems to have a kernel of truth like that... but doesn't lead to any good practical advice. But I haven't dove into this stuff much.

I think the number of calories used to digest are much less than the internet proclaims. I doubt there is actually any food (except maybe celery) that is so low in calories that we use them up digesting. And pineapple is loaded with sugar and calories (all natural!! lol). I was gain much weight on a pineapple only diet.

• Like 4

I like my FB Groups!

I scroll quickly through my feed to check on family then escape to my groups.

I agree. some are very helpful. I'm on a couple thyroid groups, genealogy groups, etc.   I'm also on a "nostalgic" group for the area in which I grew up.  <3.

I do wish FB would STOP adding groups to my feed! (none of them were groups  I 'liked", or even commented on - or was even aware they existed before they showed up.)   I'm constantly on the watch for them so I can delete them.

But... help me here because I know nothing. Aren't there some foods - like, say, raw carrots - that are net zero calories? Not that that would be a comprehensive diet solution by any means (one once you drown them in ranch dressing or cook them with oil, they're far from zero calories). But is that not correct? I don't know about pineapple, but if all you ate was pineapple, I think you would eventually starve to death. There's not enough calories - not to mention varied nutrients - to sustain you, right?

I find that a lot of the nutrition advice seems to have a kernel of truth like that... but doesn't lead to any good practical advice. But I haven't dove into this stuff much.

According to the USDA nutrient database one cup of pineapple chunks (165 grams) has 142 calories. I need around 1500-1600 calories per day to maintain my current weight/activity level. So ten or eleven cups of pineapple a day would meet my calorie needs.

Same thing with carrots -- One cup chopped (128 grams) has 113 calories. Thirteen or fourteen cups a day would meet my maintenance calorie requirement.

It's really easy to get the calories needed to maintain weight. Eating a balanced diet is a whole other issue. You won't technically starve to death (in terms of developing health issues related to being emaciated) by eating nothing but pineapple or carrots. But you would develop all sorts of health issues due to massive nutritional deficiencies, and those could certainly probably eventually lead to death.

;

ETA: The problem with nutritional/diet advice IMO is that there's so much conflicting info available. Maybe not to support a pineapple diet or negative calorie foods, but pick just about any way of eating you prefer or want to denigrate and you can likely find a high quality study(ies) either supporting or refuting it. There have already been some rather "holier than thou" comments made on this thread that I could rather easily refute if I wanted to spend a few minutes on Google scholar (which I'm not in the mood to do at the moment ;)).

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 6

According to the USDA nutrient database one cup of pineapple chunks (165 grams) has 142 calories. I need around 1500-1600 calories per day to maintain my current weight/activity level. So ten or eleven cups of pineapple a day would meet my calorie needs.

Same thing with carrots -- One cup chopped (128 grams) has 113 calories. Thirteen or fourteen cups a day would meet my maintenance calorie requirement.

It's really easy to get the calories needed to maintain weight. Eating a balanced diet is a whole other issue. You won't technically starve to death (in terms of developing health issues related to being emaciated) by eating nothing but pineapple or carrots. But you would develop all sorts of health issues due to massive nutritional deficiencies, and those could certainly probably eventually lead to death.

;

ETA: The problem with nutritional/diet advice IMO is that there's so much conflicting info available. Maybe not to support a pineapple diet or negative calorie foods, but pick just about any way of eating you prefer or want to denigrate and you can likely find a high quality study(ies) either supporting or refuting it. There have already been some rather "holier than thou" comments made on this thread that I could rather easily refute if I wanted to spend a few minutes on Google scholar (which I'm not in the mood to do at the moment ;)).

You'd probably die from a Vitamin A overdose if you ate your daily calories in carrots. 

• Like 5

Well, to be fair the whole internet is full of poor diet advice. Most people choose their diet the way they choose their faith, they pick what they like and adjust facts to justify their train of thought. And, different people and all their issues make it so that there is no blanket "truth" anyway. My sister (a hotshot nurse) told my oldest when she was 13 that juice could not make you fat. That you need to nutrients in juice and my 13yo was already drinking as much juice as I would let her anyway. She often consumes 1500 calories a day just in juice, because a nurse told her it can't make you fat. She is now 28 and struggles to get her weight below 225 and she's SHORT. I really could kick my sister, but she spoke with so much authority. GRRR. So, you don't need Facebook for stupid advice, lol.

Agree, and also to be fair the field of nutrition is about as advanced as surgery in the 1600's according to Michael Pollan. 

I was at one point a strict vegan and have now settled on his advice of eat locally, mostly plants, not too much.  I don't starve myself, I don't cut out groups of food (except processed junk, which i will eat rarely because life is too short) 

• Like 2

Agree, and also to be fair the field of nutrition is about as advanced as surgery in the 1600's according to Michael Pollan.

I was at one point a strict vegan and have now settled on his advice of eat locally, mostly plants, not too much. I don't starve myself, I don't cut out groups of food (except processed junk, which i will eat rarely because life is too short)

Where do you live? I'm in IN. Not much grows local this time of year!

• Like 4

You'd probably die from a Vitamin A overdose if you ate your daily calories in carrots.

Nah, we can overdose on vitamin A but the research I have seen does not support the idea that eating lots of beta carotene will result in vitamin A overdose; our bodies dial down their conversion of beta carotene to vitamin A when our vitamin A stores are high.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I think the number of calories used to digest are much less than the internet proclaims. I doubt there is actually any food (except maybe celery) that is so low in calories that we use them up digesting. And pineapple is loaded with sugar and calories (all natural!! lol). I was gain much weight on a pineapple only diet.

I doubt it too.  I don't worry about an extra helping (or even two) of broccoli, but I would not go crazy on pineapple thinking well hey it's fruit and it doesn't matter.

Oh you mean how a doctor told me fruit is good for my kids, but the dentist told me, "They shouldn't eat a lot of fruit."

Exactly--I remember when my kids were little getting a list from my pediatrician regarding good and bad snacks.  Then, the dentist gave me a list of items not to let my kids eat--if I had obeyed both the pediatrician and the dentist I think my kids would have had to survive on water alone--oh no, that wouldn't work because they didn't agree on the impact of fluoride in the drinking water, either.

• Like 2

Nah, we can overdose on vitamin A but the research I have seen does not support the idea that eating lots of beta carotene will result in vitamin A overdose; our bodies dial down their conversion of beta carotene to vitamin A when our vitamin A stores are high.

Correct. Worst thing that happens is that your skin turns orange, which is weird-looking but harmless.

Ingesting loads of preformed vitamin A (which comes from animal sources) is how you OD. 

• Like 2

Correct. Worst thing that happens is that your skin turns orange, which is weird-looking but harmless.

Ingesting loads of preformed vitamin A (which comes from animal sources) is how you OD. 

Ah ok.  I wasn't sure and my issue was only anecdotal (and I never tested my vitamin A levels), but when I once got into taking fish oil I think I was getting too much vitamin A because my hair started falling out.  I stopped and my hair stopped falling out.  So yeah...

• Like 1

And the whole "natural sugar in fruit is fine!" thing.

Really, the whole conversation was depressing.

Dh has this argument with his mother regularly. Yes mil, your healthy balls made mostly from dried prunes and agave are full of sugar...

• Like 2

Where do you live? I'm in IN. Not much grows local this time of year!

I'm in the Midwest, I do a crop share through the winter that's sources from local farms throughout the summer and freezes berries and things to use for winter. Everything else I buy at Trader Joe's and I try to buy what's "in season" (or cheapest!) so during the winter we really only eat apples, bananas and oranges for fruit.

I'm not sure why I have to explain that you obviously buy as close to home as possible when things aren't growing near you. This seems like a silly thing to call out.

Edited by Runningmom80

When I was a  small child, I ate up to a pound of raw carrots a day and not much else. It did not harm me at all. I did turn orange. 

I recently joined a weight loss board that advocates strict calorie counting, severe calorie restriction, CICO only, and refuses to acknowledge any medical, hormonal, or other influences on weight. They claim PCOS is caused by obesity, and not the other way around. No understanding or acknowledgement of insulin resistance at all. They argue for fasting, eating a single meal a day of any kind of junk food ( ie if you want to binge on pizza, starve yourself for the whole day, eat 2500 calories of pizza in one sitting, don't eat the next day either. As long as the math works out, it's fine.) I have seen it posited that you could eat all of your calories for a week in one day, and not eat the other 6 days, and that would be totally ok. I, on the other hand, would call this bulimia, but potato. potahto amirite?

They laugh all the time about how differing metabolic rates and body types are all a big myth invented by lazy fat people. I have also seen being overweight referred to as a character flaw and a viable reason for divorce/ rejection/etc. as in, if you are fat, you are obviously a failure of a human being and a horrible worthless person with no redeeming value, so you should be abandoned, your children removed and your life destroyed. Also handicapped people should not eat, and probably their illnesses would just magically go away. 

This is the kind of crap logic that led my doctors to tell me to lose weight to cure my arthritis when I was a competitive swimmer, exercising 10 hours a day, and not having periods from the physical strain. Yeah. It's my 12% body fat that is hurting my joints. That must be it. 

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 1

I'm in the Midwest, I do a crop share through the winter that's sources from local farms throughout the summer and freezes berries and things to use for winter. Everything else I buy at Trader Joe's and I try to buy what's "in season" (or cheapest!) so during the winter we really only eat apples, bananas and oranges for fruit.

I'm not sure why I have to explain that you obviously buy as close to home as possible when things aren't growing near you. This seems like a silly thing to call out.

Hmm, I wasn't calling you out, just making conversation.

• Like 4

Are you sensitive to salicylates?

Or oral allergy syndrome

No, this is actually a thing with pineapple if you eat too much.

Pineapples contain an plant protease enzyme called bromelain. Because it readily breaks down protein, bromelain is frequently used as a natural meat tenderizer. In addition, bromelain may also induce a prickly sensation in the mouth when consumed.

• Like 3

No, this is actually a thing with pineapple if you eat too much.

Pineapples contain an plant protease enzyme called bromelain. Because it readily breaks down protein, bromelain is frequently used as a natural meat tenderizer. In addition, bromelain may also induce a prickly sensation in the mouth when consumed.

Pineapple - eat it, before it eats you. 

:p

• Like 14