Menu

FLL3 vs. R&S 3

Amy M

Someone gave me FLL3, but I don't have the workbook. I already have R&S 3 and have done it with my oldest and was just about to start it with my second ds. R&S 3 was a bit hard for the oldest when we started, and kinda boring, but it was thorough and cheap. I use FLL1&2 for the younger grades. So I'm wondering if FLL3 is so much better than R&S3 that I should pay for the workbook and switch to FLL3.

I'm also using CW Aesop A with my third grader this year, which I believe also has some grammar coverage in there. So for that reason I wondered if FLL3 would be better, because maybe it would be easier to pare down. But that's at least $18 extra for the student workbook pdf. Is it worth it?

Someone gave me FLL3, but I don't have the workbook. I already have R&S 3 and have done it with my oldest and was just about to start it with my second ds. R&S 3 was a bit hard for the oldest when we started, and kinda boring, but it was thorough and cheap. I use FLL1&2 for the younger grades. So I'm wondering if FLL3 is so much better than R&S3 that I should pay for the workbook and switch to FLL3.

I'm also using CW Aesop A with my third grader this year, which I believe also has some grammar coverage in there. So for that reason I wondered if FLL3 would be better, because maybe it would be easier to pare down. But that's at least $18 extra for the student workbook pdf. Is it worth it?

I know people do it, but I don't love the idea of doing only grammar with R&S's English. It's so comprehensive that it just seems like a waste to pick out just the grammar lessons. And there are other products that are just grammar, so if that's what you want, then wait for FLL. Also, IMHO, children that young won't be harmed if they don't have formal grammar instruction for awhile longer, so if you're doing CW Aesop, then just do that and don't worry about grammar yet.

• Like 1

I'd just use what you have. If you really want a full grammar beside CW Aesop you could trim R&S easily enough. Doing the lessons orally shortens them significantly. You can pick and choose lessons, skip the easy ones or double up on them.

FLL 3 really is a good course, but there's nothing magical about it that makes it so much better than R&S. Frankly the completely mom-dependent format drove my kids batty and they were very ready to move on. They can't do anything in that workbook on their own workout the instructions from the TM.

I did CW Aesop forever ago with my now 11th and 12th graders. The grammar was pretty minimal, but really it is enough for a 3rd grader. Grammar will be around for the next several years and it's pretty thick in Homer if you stick with the series.

I have done both. Tried R&S orally with no retention here. With FLL I know if they are retaining. It's actually more for me than dc. Forces me to keep my hand in it consistently.

I know some dc can retain with oral R&S. Just didn't happen here.

Kristen

• Like 1

I'd just use what you have. If you really want a full grammar beside CW Aesop you could trim R&S easily enough. Doing the lessons orally shortens them significantly. You can pick and choose lessons, skip the easy ones or double up on them.

FLL 3 really is a good course, but there's nothing magical about it that makes it so much better than R&S. Frankly the completely mom-dependent format drove my kids batty and they were very ready to move on. They can't do anything in that workbook on their own workout the instructions from the TM.

I have a ds(8) and WWE and FLL drive him crazy. We do R&S 3 orally and maybe diagram 2-3 of the sentences when they are assigned. I find the worksheets that go with the lessons are good to reinforce but not tedious, they only take him maybe 5 minutes. So far any written assignments we do orally. Some say R&S can stand alone and maybe they are right, but I like having a separate writing cur.

We were  doing WWE 2, but  3 out of 4 days crying is involved. So I've trudged through the first 22 weeks (doing 2 lessons/day) and now we are going to switch to W&R Fable just for something different (we'll see how that goes.) As a parent I can see where WWE is going and I trust the method, but I need some variety.