Menu

Language Arts curriculum choices - need opinions/recommendations

miracleone

I need help selecting the right grammar program for my 9 year old.  She's very articulate, can tell good stories and have great retention when she has to retell her stories or facts, but when it comes to writing she is not very enthused about it.  She's also a reluctant reader.

She's 3rd grade and we're using FLL2  and we are going to do FLL3 soon.  I need something for next year and don't know if I should stick with FLL4 or try something different to avoid burnout.  These are the ones I am looking at but I am still undecided. 

Junior Analytical Grammar and Mechanics

Fix It (The Nose Tree)

For writing:  We're currently using WWE2 and I just ordered WWE3.  I don't think I will go beyond 3 and would like suggestions on which writing program to use that will be easy for me to teach. 

Spelling:  Currently we're in SpellWell Aa and we have SpellWell B and Bb.  I don't know if she's learning anything or retaining what she is learning as her spelling is really bad. (Example:  goat is goet, visited is visted, engine is engin, great is gret, auto is otow, wait is wate, trouble is truball...)    I would appreciate knowing what to use to teach her but something NOT too difficult to use would be great.

Thank you so much for your advice.

I haven't used a lot of the curriculum you mentioned, but I'll try to help.

My ds did FLL3 and then went on to Rod & Staff 4.  It's thorough and he doesn't seem to mind the dryness of it.  We do some orally and we don't do every single exercise.  It also has writing included, but you can skip those lessons if you want.

Have you tried All About Spelling?  I have not used it, but it's highly recommended on these boards. 

When I was thinking about ds' 4th grade year, I considered Writing and Rhetoric for writing.  (We used WWE up through level 3)  It looked fun to me, but ultimately, I didn't think it was a good fit for him.  Look at that.  Also, consider IEW. 

• Like 1

I need help selecting the right grammar program for my 9 year old.  She's very articulate, can tell good stories and have great retention when she has to retell her stories or facts, but when it comes to writing she is not very enthused about it.  She's also a reluctant reader.

She's 3rd grade and we're using FLL2  and we are going to do FLL3 soon.  I need something for next year and don't know if I should stick with FLL4 or try something different to avoid burnout.  These are the ones I am looking at but I am still undecided. 

Fix It (The Nose Tree)

For writing:  We're currently using WWE2 and I just ordered WWE3.  I don't think I will go beyond 3 and would like suggestions on which writing program to use that will be easy for me to teach. 

Spelling:  Currently we're in SpellWell Aa and we have SpellWell B and Bb.  I don't know if she's learning anything or retaining what she is learning as her spelling is really bad. (Example:  goat is goet, visited is visted, engine is engin, great is gret, auto is otow, wait is wate, trouble is truball...)    I would appreciate knowing what to use to teach her but something NOT too difficult to use would be great.

You are wise to consider this ahead of time. Every situation is different, but for us, three levels of FLL was enough. We did get well into FLL 4 with my oldest, and just tried to slog through, but in retrospect, it might have been better to make the switch before we started Level 4. In any case, we moved on to CLE LA (grammar only) this year (for all three girls), and are happy we did. We're only doing half a level (600s for the 6th grader and 500s for the 4th graders) this year, finishing up the second half next year. IMO, a whole level of CLE grammar would be a bit of overkill. We chose CLE LA over Rod & Staff English because (IMO) it allows the student to work more independently on the review portion of the lesson.

For Composition, we never did any of WWE 4, though I have it in a box somewhere. ;) We put together our own thing for 4th grade, then did Weeks 1--12 of WWS 1 for 5th grade (with other writing assignments), and are having a great time working through the rest of WWS 1 this year for 6th (with my oldest). We'll start WWS 1 next year with our twins, probably doing the first 10 or 12 weeks. If that doesn't work, we'll revamp and may even occasionally pull out some WWE 4... but I doubt it. When the girls are done with WWE 3, they seem ready to move on.

You may want to look at Treasured Conversations for composition for 4th grade. We never used it, but some here use it as a bridge between WWE and WWS.

For Spelling, we also found it was time to more to more independent program around 4th grade. So we moved on from All About Spelling to Phonetic Zoo and are happy with that change, also.

For Vocabulary, you may want to look at Wordly Wise 3000 and/or English from the Roots Up (cards). HTH.

• Like 2

Fix It (The Nose Tree)

I would wait on grammar and work on the spelling with Spalding. In fact, I would do Spalding and wait on the writing, as well, until you complete a year of Spalding. Spalding is a complete English course for a little person who is just 9ish; it teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, so it would improve not only her spelling but perhaps improve her reading, as well, so that she would be less reluctant. It also simultaneously teaches penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing.

• Like 1

A program that uses spelling alongside phonics based reading instruction sounds appropriate.  Ellie mentioned Spalding, other choices might be All About Reading/Spelling, McGuffy Readers, Alpha Phonics...there are plenty out there, but I would focus on her reading primarily, spelling second, and not worry too much about grammar or writing.  If you really want to include those, use something no pressure and oral - Simply Grammar, English for the Thoughtful Child, etc.  If you just want her to retain her parts of speech and such from FLL, maybe Daily Grams from Easy Grammar?

• Like 1