Menu

And this is why I am overwhelmed and exhausted.

fairfarmhand

I was journaling this morning for the first time in the new year and was reflecting on where we are this year, in relation to where we were last year. 2016 has been a huge year of change for our family and I think that's where my exhaustion and sense of being overwhelmed has come from.

In 2016, we spent the first 3 months of the year, traveling 2 hours back and forth most weekends to help care for his dad in late stage cancer.

FIL died in late March. Then for a few months we were trying to deal with managing that situation with his mom. She needed help and my dh needed to feel that he was honoring his dad by helping with that.

Meanwhile, my oldest was completing her senior year of high school. Taking the ACT, evaluating colleges, figuring out scholarships, applying for colleges, That in itself was incredibly stressful and she struggled with making these decisions, needing a listening ear quite often.

She worked all summer but really wasn't sure what college would be like. Anxiety was huge here. She hates the unknown and wsa so frustrated with having to wait to find out what it would be like. She had big plans for how much time free she would have, planning fun stuff for her free time. When August came and between classes, homework and a part time job, she had to adjust her mindset to include VERY LITTLE free time. She struggles with inflexible thinking, and accepting that her science/math heavy major schedule would place big time demands upon her that her friends who took Theatre majors didn;t have was difficult. Thankfully, she had a good counselor who helped her come to grips with all of that.

In early November, my brother moved to Turkey. In the weeks before, we spent as much time as possible with him, and helped clean his apartment. out storing his stuff.

Looking back, this has been a huge year of flux. No wonder I've struggled. Emotionally, there have been some big time transitions and big time stressful occurrences.

• Like 4

It's an interesting activity, reflecting back on the whole of the past year. I was just thinking about this, too, because Jan 2016 was the beginning of DH and BIL no longer being business partners. It was immensly stressful for the first few months of the year, but I (at least) am SO much happier about work now.

I was shredding heaps of papers dating back to 2003 and it was soooooo cathartic. Grinding up old payroll reports that were from a bad period of time in our business and employee reports from an employee whom I would rather forget. It was so satisfying, turning all that info into confetti. I highly recommend it, lol.

• Like 1

It's amazing how many connections I make when I journal -- but I'm an external processor so I have to talk it out (or write it out) to really think it through. That's a lot on your plate. I find that often I'm tired after I've made it through a huge period of emotional heaviness. I've got the energy going through it but it's later, when it's done, that I need to reset and restore. Just talking about that today with my hairdresser (and good friend). 

Hope your 2017 is much more smooth!

• Like 2

It's amazing how many connections I make when I journal -- but I'm an external processor so I have to talk it out (or write it out) to really think it through. That's a lot on your plate. I find that often I'm tired after I've made it through a huge period of emotional heaviness. I've got the energy going through it but it's later, when it's done, that I need to reset and restore. Just talking about that today with my hairdresser (and good friend).

Hope your 2017 is much more smooth!

Lisa, can we talk about journaling. Everyone tells me you need to JOURNAL! but what does that even mean? Tell me what it looks like for you. Help me get started.

Lisa, can we talk about journaling. Everyone tells me you need to JOURNAL! but what does that even mean? Tell me what it looks like for you. Help me get started.

Journaling is often prayer like for me but not always.

It's not hard. Just barf your thoughts worries plans and to do list on paper. The main thing is to not worry that you're doing it wrong. There is no wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So sorry about the wreck!

I totally hear you on the stress. We had a pretty peaceful first half of the year. Then we started working on a major bathroom remodel that took months of work (and being down to one bathroom for seven people for a while), and we still have construction materials taking up a lot of room in one room. We found out we were pregnant over the summer. As DH was finishing the bathroom and starting on the next phase, our bedroom, he fell and broke his back. Then we discovered that our unborn baby had some issues. Then I developed preeclampsia (which is why the baby had issues) that went from mild to dangerous in a hurry, so we capped off the entire year with me recovering from emergency surgery and a very premature baby who will not be home from the nicu for 3-4 months, if he ever comes home at all. I could definitely use boring right about now!

I hope your 2017 is much less stressful!

Edited by happypamama