Menu

Any one have a Finex cast iron pan?

Tap

I am trying to finalize my decision on this purchase.  For Christmas each year, I buy a lifetime quality item for my kitchen.  This year I am thinking about a Finex 12 cast iron skillet with lid.  Ridiculously expensive, but the quality seems wonderful.  

Any experiences?

I am not sure I'd spend the money for the fancy shape but it sure is pretty. It probably cooks just as well as Lodge -- I season my lodge pans with flax oil too. Can't beat it :)  It is for different cooking methods but I really like my Mauviel carbon steel pans. They take a different type of care (treat them just like a wok) but are more responsive to various heat controls and completely replace non-stick cookware forever. 

• Like 2

I am not sure I'd spend the money for the fancy shape but it sure is pretty. It probably cooks just as well as Lodge -- I season my lodge pans with flax oil too. Can't beat it :)  It is for different cooking methods but I really like my Mauviel carbon steel pans. They take a different type of care (treat them just like a wok) but are more responsive to various heat controls and completely replace non-stick cookware forever. 

I also love thick carbon steel skillets. I have several great ones with wrought iron handles. I can't find those anymore.

I have a serious pot-addiction problem (and can fault no person for $$$$$ spent on good cookware) but I would not spend this sort of money on a cast iron pan when I could get a vintage piece for a fraction of the price that would cook as well. Or a new Lodge for even less.

Using flax seed oil to season is smart, but anyone can do that themselves.

Bill 

• Like 2

I've never heard of this brand, and all the cast iron ratings I've looked at in the last year - don't even mention it.

I was wondering about why not lodge too.  lodge has lids, sold separately, both glass and cast iron.  they also have the silicon handle covers - that will stay on until you take them off.

and they will last a lifetime.  or more.

I'd also wonder how the hexagon shape would affect dishing up and cleaning up.

...or coconut oil. My Lodge did not come with a lid but you can buy a universal lid at Williams Sonoma - or possibly somewhere else as well. The octagonal shape is interesting, though.

amazon has cast iron and glass lids  that lodge makes specifically for their frying pans.

• Like 1

Do you actually mean wrought iron in terms of low-carbon? That I have no idea about.  The Mauviel pans have a really nice heavy steel handles. 

I may have used the wrong term when I said wrought iron. My carbon steel skillets have very heavy rustic-looking iron handles riveted to the carbon steel pan.

These handles are very similar to the handles on the heavy French Bourgeat copper cookware.

I have not been able to find a supplier of these pans (despite trying) for a very long time, as I'd wish to give them as gifts or recommend them to others.

The carbon steel pans I see now have stamped steel handles (like crepe pans). Nothing wrong with that, per se, I just like the iron handles better. And many carbon steel pans are of a lighter gauge (like crepe pans) instead of the heavy gauge that's better for skillets.  

Carbon steel pans (and variations may be called black steel or mineral steel) remain the great undiscovered cookware for the home setting IMO. And I'm sure we agree. Carbon steel (even at the heavy gauge) is lighter than cast iron, but has all the advantages of cast iron (and in some cases is superior).

And I love cast iron. But I usually turn to a carbon skillet over a cast iron one.

Bill

• Like 1

I went through several cast iron pans, never liking them, until my dh's grandmother gave me her mil's cast iron pan. It is the best pan I've ever used. It was a bit sad-looking initially, as it had been scrubbed of any seasoning in an ill-advised effort to get it "clean," but now, after using it for a few years, it is perfect. I think that if I were looking for a new pan I'd scour the local thrift, junk, and antique shops. 

• Like 2

These handles are very similar to the handles on the heavy French Bourgeat copper cookware.

I have not been able to find a supplier of these pans (despite trying) for a very long time, as I'd wish to give them as gifts or recommend them to others.

I looked up those pans and I think I understand. Just a different shape of the single handle design?

The long pressed steel handles are a little inconvenient sometimes, mostly on my largest pans because my kitchen is microscopic and I need to be careful :)

I think my next carbon steel pans will have two smaller handles (like the poêle à frier de Buyer deux poignées)

I also found the French collection carbon steel pans with the Eiffel tower handle. Might just need one of those!

I looked up those pans and I think I understand. Just a different shape of the single handle design?

The long pressed steel handles are a little inconvenient sometimes, mostly on my largest pans because my kitchen is microscopic and I need to be careful :)

I think my next carbon steel pans will have two smaller handles (like the poêle à frier de Buyer deux poignées)

I also found the French collection carbon steel pans with the Eiffel tower handle. Might just need one of those!

It is a fine point, but the shape of the iron handles gives one a better balance point and more leverage that the curved steel models do.

I'm confident they cook the same otherwise.

When I live in a microscopic sized kitchen the only thing that saved me was building pot racks. Now my home kitchen is of a modest size, but the pot rack is massive. I couldn't make it without a big rack.

For that reason, long handles are generally better for me than short ones.

I am on a pot-buying moratorium, but my dear wife sometimes comes home saying "you're going to kill me, but..."

Most recently she walked in with a massive Le Creuset oval dutch oven (the biggest one commonly sold) she'd picked up in virtually new condition for $7 in a thrift store. Retail $435.

I—of course,—did not kill her :D

Bill

• Like 2

I went through several cast iron pans, never liking them, until my dh's grandmother gave me her mil's cast iron pan. It is the best pan I've ever used. It was a bit sad-looking initially, as it had been scrubbed of any seasoning in an ill-advised effort to get it "clean," but now, after using it for a few years, it is perfect. I think that if I were looking for a new pan I'd scour the local thrift, junk, and antique shops. 

I have a Lodge and one I found at a thrift store. The one from the thrift store is much better than my Lodge. I keep my eyes open when I'm in a secondhand store just in case another old one shows up!

I'm coming to this late, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I was not familiar with the Finex, found a NYT article about cast iron. Apparently, there are several new, artisan cast iron foundries in U.S. (I know that is happening with copper too.)

I went to Chowhound -- my favorite place for kitchen equipment reviews -- to see what they would say. Consensus was that the pot was beautiful, but might not be practical. Questions on whether the handle would be difficult to clean, what her you want octagonal corn bread, etc. I would worry about cleaning the bends in the octagonal rim -- corners seem to attract gunk, Ime. Also, if you want a lid that fits, you would have to get the Finex one. My gut feeling is that I love craftsmanship and will pay for it, but I do not like designs that are unusual for the sake of being unusual.

Chowhound also had a lot of posts on old vs new cast iron, so I went and looked at mine more closely than I usually do. My old (decades to almost a century) pans are mirror smooth, all Wagner or Griswold. My only new piece, a Lodge circular griddle, is distinctly rougher than the old pans. This was the first time I noticed this, as nothing sticks on the pan.

Chowhound suggested buying old pans or grinding down new ones, lol. I like Bill's recommendation of the carbon steel -- I presume he means deBuyer Mineral series.

My personal recommendation would be a Staub skillet. They are expensive, and I gather you want an investment piece. Staub is enameled cast iron with a black interior. It is the first choice of several IRL chef friends of mine, who all swear by it. Don't have one (yet), but it's on my list.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/dining/cast-iron-skillet-finex-field-company.html

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1