Menu

Has anyone tried CLP's Beginning Woodwork as an elective?

Yep, another weird thread from me, Evanthe (eventually, I'll delete my account from embarrassment).  

Has anyone tried the Beginning Woodwork course from Christian Light Publications as a high school elective?  Is it doable at home with zero woodworking experience?   :confused:   

Will we cut off our fingers?  Would a credit of woodworking look strange on my teens' high school transcripts (I mean, does anyone even take that anymore)?  

If you've done woodworking for an elective, was it expensive to get going with tools, supplies, etc?  Because this is sold on CLP's website, I'm guessing it's very traditional woodworking, with handheld tools... (as opposed to huge machines I saw on Woodcraft's website)?

There are a lot of question marks in my post, because I have absolutely NO clue what I'm talking about.  I did look around for classes and anything around here seemed very, very expensive.  Thanks in advance if you can post any experience (good OR bad) with this as a high school elective.

Edited to add:  I forgot a detail.  My son is left-handed.  Does anyone know if that matters with woodworking (as far as tools)?  He does not have the best fine motor skills in the world...

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 3

I don't remember the details now, but I ordered that for my oldest about 5-6 years ago because we wanted an industrial/fine arts credit. DH was in the trades for fifteen years before having to change fields, so we own a lot of tools. There wasn't anything we would have had to buy.

I ended up returning it because the projects were more basic than we had hoped. DS helps DH a lot, so he's fine building boxes, shelves, ramps, etc. One of the projects I think was a birdhouse, and it just wasn't something he was into.

We got the welding one, and he enjoyed that. DH also owns all of the equipment, so it wasn't a big deal. DS had not done any welding.

Sorry that I can't help more than that!

• Like 1

No, sorry, but my nine year old occasionally works from this book and likes it. I supervise just in a general way with the tools. I don't know anything about anything about the actual skills involved, unfortunately.

ETA-- I spent about 100$ at Home Depot stocking up on hand tools (only) when I got this wild hair, wanting the kids to do woodworking stuff. It would depend what you have laying around already. And I made saw horses for them out of 2x4's....that taks literally no skill because I had them cut down at Home Depot according to measurements and a tutorial I found free online. 

Edited by OKBud

I have no idea about CLP's course, but I did put carpentry on my son's transcript. My ex-dh was a carpenter and had every tool imaginable, so he was the teacher. I gave him .5 credit and graded it pass/fail so it didn't factor into the GPA. 

I wonder if it might be more cost effective to find a course through a vo-tech program?

• Like 1

Wow, I'm really surprised other people have tried this for an elective!  Thank-you, Everybody,  for taking time to reply.

I ended up returning it because the projects were more basic than we had hoped. 

That is great for us!!  I was worried it would be way over our heads.

It looks like I need to buy the textbook, student material and answer key.  I guess I need to buy student material for each kid (I have two teens who want to take this course)?  Do you remember what kind of tools were required?  Were they really basic tools?

Also, this is weird, but it says "lightly used textbook" in the description on clp's website.  Are they selling me a used textbook?  Or is the textbook lightly used as in not used very much?

Wow, I'm really surprised other people have tried this for an elective!  Thank-you, Everybody,  for taking time to reply.

That is great for us!!  I was worried it would be way over our heads.

It looks like I need to buy the textbook, student material and answer key.  I guess I need to buy student material for each kid (I have two teens who want to take this course)?  Do you remember what kind of tools were required?  Were they really basic tools?

Also, this is weird, but it says "lightly used textbook" in the description on clp's website.  Are they selling me a used textbook?  Or is the textbook lightly used as in not used very much?

I don't remember what tools were required, just that we had them all.

If I remember correctly, the student materials guide you through the textbook. They tell you what to read and what to do. The entire textbook was used in some way. I do remember that we used the whole welding textbook.

I'd call them though. When used CLE for math and literature, I called them multiple times, and they were always very helpful. If the first individual didn't know, they'd find someone who did and have them call me back.

• Like 2

I don't remember what tools were required, just that we had them all.

If I remember correctly, the student materials guide you through the textbook. They tell you what to read and what to do. The entire textbook was used in some way. I do remember that we used the whole welding textbook.

I'd call them though. When used CLE for math and literature, I called them multiple times, and they were always very helpful. If the first individual didn't know, they'd find someone who did and have them call me back.

Thank-you!