Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW1: Welcome to an adventurous prime reading new year!

Robin M

Re: The Time Machine.... Have you read Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow? It's a great companion piece to read. (I read The Sparrow years ago, long before I ever read The Time Machine. I kind-of wished I had read The Time Machine first. Perhaps someday I'll go back & read them in tandem.)

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed both The Sparrow and Children of God. I found them disturbing, but thought provoking, and I'm not one to spend much time pondering philosophical questions of existence, suffering, and perseverance.

• Like 14

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been posting on the BaW threads since it first started, I believe, in 2009. I fell away during the last two years but I feel a yearning to come back.

When I first started with BaW, I didn't even make 52 books for the first few years but I kept plugging along, increasing my numbers as time went on. I read 109 books during 2016. I had an amazing reading year last year so I don't want to better my number but rather continue reading thought-provoking and diverse books while still falling back on comfort reads when the need arises.

I am currently reading Dark Matters by Blake Crouch and All is Grace by Brennan Manning

• Like 31

DH recommends starting with the first book, Killing Floor. I recommend Bad Luck and Trouble, just because that's the first one I read and it sucked me in, plus some other ancillary characters who join the series later are not there yet. Last year's Make Me was rather intense and disturbing as far as Reacher books go. Not sure I would start with that one.

Dh left me alone for a few minutes so I had to see what was happening....

I haven't had a chance to go into overdrive to see what is easily available but I have a bit of a issue with starting series at the beginning so will have to try and do that. I'm glad your dh liked the first one. I'm right in thinking your dh read both the Rook and Rivers of London? Two of my favourites....has he read Stiletto? I liked it....

• Like 18

Can I join in please? (waves shyly  :seeya: )

:seeya: I am also a newbie, and I can't believe how excited I am! 

Hi! I'm going to join in. 

I'll join in, if I may. 

I wanted to say welcome to the new posters (as well as the returning ones). I joined just last year and everyone has been wonderfully welcoming. I've found so many books I never thought I'd enjoy reading, and I look forward to seeing your posts throughout the year.

• Like 24

Oh ladies, what are we going to do with my husband? Here's your New Year's Day book chuckle -

We share a Kindle account. Sometimes we read the same books but mostly we don't, yet we started out with one account and now it would be too difficult to separate it. Even when I tell Amazon to send a book to a particular device it doesn't always listen, and sometimes my books go to dh's Kindle when he turns on the wifi. It can get annoying.

I usually have to help him with Kindle books. The man who launches rockets into space for a living is sadly inept at dealing with personal technology. He's been reading the Jack Reacher series and I've been telling him that this last one is it - it was published in 2016 and there are no more yet. 

This morning-

"I don't know what book I'm reading. I guess I finished Jack Reacher. This one I think is set in the 1800's in London. It's a detective or something. It's not bad."

I had a feeling I knew what it was, but I took a look at his Kindle anyway. It's By Gaslight - the book Stacia is reading. I read the sample and ended up buying it. Now dh is "accidentally" reading it.  :lol:  :lol:

Kathy, I totally understand...I'm married to an engineer.

I'll join in, if I may. I'm going to take advantage of having two young adults in or recently graduated from college and I'm going to select some of my first readings from the books they have used in classes. DS just finished a Japanese Lit course and speaks highly of some of the readings. I'm looking forward to reading some of those. I'll have to pick them up when I take him back to school.

DD completed a theater class this past semester and Fences (August Wilson) was one of the plays she read. It's short (~100 pages) but I would like to read it before going to see the movie so that will be my first book.

I had a Goodreads bookshelf once that consisted of books from my older daughters' bookshelves. Some of their college reads were eye-opening, especially those of my oldest who majored in English.

• Like 24

Happy 2017 everyone! My goals for this year:

• Reading Goal: 200 books. I'm pretty certain I can meet it, but I may be burning through brain candy come November and December
  • Bingo: I enjoyed the challenge of bingo so much last year that I'm determined to finish it early this year. I'm hoping to also meet the Alphabet challenge at the same time. I've got the books planned out; we'll see if I can handle it.
  • Broaden My Reading: I didn't focus on the bingo goal until late in the year, but I enjoyed reading new authors from different cultural backgrounds. My goal is to read more translated books, read more literary authors, and try reading poetry. I found a poetry book about life on Mars, which is right up my alley.
  • Tag Along with Rose: Rose, I hope you don't mind, but I loved the categories in the 240 book challenge so I'm hoping to start ticking off boxes as well. I've changed a few categories: Author with name of Erin, books recommended by oldest son/oldest daughter (my younger two are still in the toddler stage), but most of the blocks remain the same. I've found some awesome reads already though I doubt I'll be able to complete the full 240 by the end of the year.
  • Buy Fewer Books: Use the library more, use interlibrary loans, and work through my TBR list (both physical and e-book). I have a big pile of books by my bed and my kindle is filled with unread e-books. I intend to refrain from buying books for awhile. I expect this will be the first resolution broken.

I love that the year ended on a Saturday! Books read last week:

• The Beak of the Finch by Jonathan Weiner. Nonfiction - Science. A scientist couple follow the evolutionary changes of Galapagos finches over decades. I loved this book, such an interesting insight into the lives of scientists. People often perceive scientists as Einstein or Archimedes having a eureka moment. In reality, most scientists toil away, logging numbers and analyzing them, the years of dedication and tedious data collecting worth the exciting discoveries once the data set is large enough and time lapse long enough. Thank you Robin for such a thoughtful gift.
  • The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa. Magical Realism. A lizard, a reincarnated Jorge Luis Borges, watches people reinvent their past, only to find they cannot escape it. A charming, lovely novella, this was my Secret Santa gift; I'd asked for a favorite novel and I'm so grateful Stacia shared it with me. Thank you, Stacia!
  • The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. Science Fiction. A time traveler recounts his adventures for a group of men gathered at his home. I've enjoyed reading science fiction and fantasy for many years, but this was my first read of this sci-fi classic. It definitely suffers from the culture of its time, but it was an interesting read. I recently finished How Great Science Fiction Works from the Great Courses and I hope to work through the course book list over time.
  • 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. Magical Realism. A writer and fitness instructor realize they are living in an alternative reality. Brandon Sanderson, writer of doorstopper epic fantasies, often says new readers should not start with his Stormlight Archive books, his in-progress magnum opus, as he hasn't built up enough trust that he will tell a good story. That's how I felt throughout this book. I hadn't read any Murakami to trust he would lead me along an interesting path. This is a long book and I like long books! But it's punctuated with detailed descriptions of cooking, much reflection on women's chests and men's groins, and stilted dialogue, with a character thinking then expressing the same thought aloud or exactly echoing the phrase of another character. I ultimately ended up enjoying the book, but if you've never read Murakami before (as I hadn't), don't start with 1Q84.

Happy to have you along for the ride, Erin! Our reading overlaps quite a lot, I've noticed. It will be fun to see what you discover for some of these crazy categories. Like, we need a book with "Crazy" in the title!

Besides my run, I've been doing nothing but reading all day.  My kind of New Year's celebration!  Here's what I finished:

Great Tales from English History, Vol. 1 - this was a great, brief romp through English history from the Roman conquest-ish up through Richard II.  I'm going to have Shannon read this instead of a stuffy textbook, I think she'll really like it. Nice background to lots of Shakespeare and historical fiction of the era.  And there are two more volumes to go!   This is medieval, but I'm not using it for the 52Bingo because I started it in 2016. It will definitely get a BigBingo square, though.

WTF Evolution? - this was a Christmas gift from Shannon.  Hilarious, irreverent book about evolution that actually manages to make some pretty good points about how it actually works, disguised as humor.  And fantastic photographs of animals that I had no idea existed.  This would fit into a few of my categories, but I think I'll go with Made Me Laugh Out Loud for now. Because it did.

And, in another case of "I would never have read this but for Bingo:" One of the categories is "Random book from the 240 shelf in your library." Of course I had no idea what kind of book this would be. I scanned the shelves . . . religion.  Christianity.  Um.  I'm not a practitioner of a religion myself, and I worried this would be a slog, but then I saw . . . Anne Lamott! I read all her fiction and some of her nonfiction when I was younger, and I've always liked her voice and writing style, so I was happy to see Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers on the shelf.  I liked it. She's funny and brave and irreverent and random.  And not heavy handed with the religious advice, either. She gave about the best description of a higher power I've ever heard. Her version of prayer sounds an awful lot like mindfulness and gratitude, so that works for me.  I'm glad I read it, anyway.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 24

I'm hoping to join in again this year. Every year, I'm a failure at these threads although not at the reading. I don't generally like doing challenges or planning my reading too much so my only goal for the year is to read more than I did last year. It's the same resolution I make every year. :) 

I'm currently reading Hillbilly Elegy by J. D. Vance for my book club. I've only read a chapter but I've heard such good things that I'm excited for this one. 

• Like 27

And I'm lately feeling the itch to read some Eastern European authors, mainly 19th and 20th century. I'm drawn to that part of the world and Bohemia in the Czech Republic is somewhere I'd love to travel to. 

I really should learn more about that area since that's where part of my husband's family came from.  His great-grandfather immigrated in 1905 from Turnov in what was then Bohemia.  Our last name is very Czech (though most guess Scandinavian).  Pretty much if you have the same last name as us (there aren't a huge number in this country), your ancestors came from the same general area in the Czech Republic.

What are you reading this week?  

I have a zillion books in my reading now folder (well, not exactly a zillion, actually 8, plus a paper book).  I've decided to join in more of the mini challenges this year.  I have Norwegian Wood on hold on Overdrive.  I'm #2 on 1 copy so who knows how long it'll take to get it.  I've also got Endurance by Alfred Lansing on hold (#1 on 2 copies).  We're reading that for my book group a week from Thursday so I'm crossing my fingers that I get it in time.  It's been on hold a month tomorrow.  I am also waiting for All the Gallant Men by Donald Stratton (#3 on 3 copies).  My friend told me I absolutely have to read it and she was only about half way through when she told me about it.  I put 131 in as my reading goal on Goodreads.  I figure it's a nice prime number right in between what I read in 2015 and 2016.

For the Dusty/Chunky challenge, I'm reading Texas by James Michener (massively chunky that one is) and Blue-Eyed Arabs of the North (dusty... my FIL's first wife wrote it and sent it to me early last year asking me to read it... I started it and then put it down so I'm determined to get it read so I can review it for her... it just drags and is paper so I'm just not inclined to actually read it).

For the birthstone challenge, I'm spelling out garnet with Go Set a Watchman, Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might be Half Dragon, Rena's Promise, Nelson Mandela: A Life Inspired, Every Day is a Holiday, and The Fever Code (my daughter just finished that one and begged me to read it... she pointed out if I counted The as part of the title it could be the letter T so I said I would do that).  It's quite an eclectic mix.  Rough draft of a classic, fantasy, non-fiction about WWII, biography, travelogue, and dystopian.

I'm also reading The Rabbit Ate My Flip-Flops to the boys for their bedtime story.

• Like 25

I have a zillion books in my reading now folder (well, not exactly a zillion, actually 8, plus a paper book). I've decided to join in more of the mini challenges this year.

For the birthstone challenge, I'm spelling out garnet with Go Set a Watchman, Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might be Half Dragon, Rena's Promise, Nelson Mandela: A Life Inspired, Every Day is a Holiday, and The Fever Code (my daughter just finished that one and begged me to read it... she pointed out if I counted The as part of the title it could be the letter T so I said I would do that). It's quite an eclectic mix. Rough draft of a classic, fantasy, non-fiction about WWII, biography, travelogue, and dystopian.

Sorry, doll. Articles in the title as in the, and, an, or a do not count. Too easy! Edited by Robin M
  • Like 17

A hearty literary welcome to our new BAW readers, former lurkers, and friends giving it another try!

Angela, hope dh and baby are feeling better soon and you get a break.

New Year's Day I read The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth McKenzie. I grabbed this one off the library shelf a few days ago, based only on it 1. not being written in present tense(!) and 2. a recommend from Karen Joy Fowler on the cover.

" a one of a kind adventure through capitalism, the medical industry, morality, mental health, dysfunctional families, love, war and wedding planning"

My memory of Veblen's Theory of the Leisure Class was that it cried out for concrete examples of his theoretical assertions; frequently I wasn't sure at all what he meant about a cultural behavior with no "for instance" given. Are his other writings similarly abstract?
  • Like 19

I am here! Thank you all so much for the warm welcome in the other thread. I am not going to bump that one up, but appreciated the explanations and hellos.  :001_smile:

I have a couple of books I grabbed from the new shelf at the library yesterday, one of which someone referenced on the other thread, Life Reimagined: The Science, Art, and Opportunity of Midlife, so I think I will start with that one. Today is my 42nd birthday and the past year I have had the reoccurring thought, "What do I want to do when I grow-up?" Even though I still have a smallish person at home, I see how quickly these years are going to fly by, so this question has been top of mind and a good way to kick off the year. I will also probably start What Great Parents Do: 75 Strategies for Raising Kids Who Thrive because you know one book isn't enough. 

I just finished The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman today. I read the bulk of it today, so I am counting it for 2017. It was ok.

I didn't set a goal other than read at least 52 books. I am going to check out BAW Bingo because that sounds like fun and a good way to shape my reading. One of my goals is to read through the dearth of books I have amassed. I loved someone's idea of tracking my books based on what I read from the library, what was loaned to me and what I already owned. I also have several books on my list including The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Better Than Before and Guns, Germs and Steel. Oh, I will also likely read an education book or two because I like that sort of thing. I have Teaching Problems and Problems of Teaching on my shelf, so maybe 2017 is the year. Then there will be plenty of fiction, some fluff no doubt. I walk a lot, so I may have to try the audio book thing again. It has not worked for me in the past because my mind wanders, but maybe if I listen at one and a half speed I will better be able to tune in. Just trying to find a way to combine my two loves because right now when I am doing one, I can't do the other and both are essential to my existence. 

Yeah for a whole new year of reading ahead! 

• Like 29

I am here! Thank you all so much for the warm welcome in the other thread. I am not going to bump that one up, but appreciated the explanations and hellos. :001_smile:

Today is my 42nd birthday and the past year I have had the reoccurring thought, "What do I want to do when I grow-up?".

Yeah for a whole new year of reading ahead!

Happy happy birthday! Cheers to a wonderful day and deciding what you want to do when you grow up. 😄

• Like 18

Alice, I read Hillbilly Elegy last week and I really liked it. It has two facets to it--a memoir and a commentary in hillbilly culture. I focused mostly on the memoir part. I am hoping to reread it again this year to focus more on the commentary aspect of the book. Education was a major thread of the book and it gave me lots to think about.

• Like 22

Whew! I just caught up on the end of last week's thread and this one. I was camping and just got home today. The book I finished today I am putting on 2016 shelf. 

Welcome to all who are new.

Angela, sorry you have family who are sick. 

Aloha, to our Hawaii vacationing friend. The post card was lovely and I admit to a tinge of jealousy. 

I'd like to finish from last week's thread....

Do tell! What were you reading?  :bigear:

Ink and Bone  which I finished today but not counting it for 2017. I already have the 2nd book here. 

Now this week,

Love in the Time of Cholera. Happy New Reading Year everyone!

Better you than me! 

I will do bingo again and try for black out. I'll also try the birthstone challenge. We'll see if I keep up with it. 

Happy New Year!

• Like 25

Just stopping in to wish you all a Happy New Year ~  I hope it's a peaceful year for all with plenty of time for reading.

I've spent the last few days working with my sister to help my mother transition to an assisted living home.  Lots of work still ahead.  Apart from the book I read on the plane, I've had very limited time to read.  I'll catch up on last week's and this week's thread at a later date.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 28

I'm hoping to join in again this year. Every year, I'm a failure at these threads although not at the reading. I don't generally like doing challenges or planning my reading too much so my only goal for the year is to read more than I did last year. It's the same resolution I make every year. :)

I'm currently reading Hillbilly Elegy by J. D. Vance for my book club. I've only read a chapter but I've heard such good things that I'm excited for this one. 

"Hillbilly Elegy" was my favorite new-to-me book of 2016--an absolute standout in a year that included many good books that I had never read before.  Probably my second favorite would be a tie between "All The Light We Cannot See", which was extremely difficult to get into but worth the repeated tries (thank you, book club!), and "Americahnah" which somehow I had failed to read before.

• Like 21

I had to scramble and find e-books since we must go out of town to a family funeral and my library is closed tomorrow so I can't pick up my holds. I decied to start with Akhenaten by Naguib Mahfouz which is set in ancient Egypt and The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies which is set in Ceylon (Sri Lanka), a location where garnets are mined. I found myself gravitating to fiction, especially historical fiction so I will have to work hard to expand my horizons.

• Like 24

Happy New Year to everyone!  

I failed to check in last week, so here's a quick rundown of 2016.  According to Goodreads I finished 91books.  I relied heavily on audiobooks this year, and reread or listened to many of my favorite series from the beginning.  My longest book was Styxx, and my favorite was Born of Legend, both are by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

My goals for this year are simple.  #1 is to begin to transfer back to reading more than listening to books.  #2 is to check in regularly on this thread.  I may try the bingo challenge this year, we'll see how it goes. :) 

• Like 25

Last year I decided to record brief thoughts on every book I read all year, then publish this as a facebook note AND here.

This kind of crashed and burned.

I made notes for a few months, then started throwing the books I had finished but not yet written about into a pile on the end of my couch, then stopped the whole process, put those books away, and continued enjoying reading but not writing about it.  I have no idea how many books I read, but I'm guessing it was around 100 or so.

This year I hope to read widely, to write about notable books that are either new to me, or that I've reread with wild pleasure, and to lighten the heck up in the counting category.  :)

• Like 24

Sorry, doll. Articles in the title as in the, and, an, or a do not count. Too easy!

Dang it.  I still have to read it, though.  My daughter says it's the best of the Maze Runner series (she begged me to read all of the others, too).  I didn't especially love some of them.  Hopefully, she's right and it's really that good.

Anyway, I added Terminal Value by Thomas Waite for the T to my reading now folder.  It's a thriller.

• Like 18

Happy to have you along for the ride, Erin! Our reading overlaps quite a lot, I've noticed. It will be fun to see what you discover for some of these crazy categories. Like, we need a book with "Crazy" in the title!

You can hit multiple categories when you look for crazy. These are all available at my library.

"Chocolate" in Title: Crazy as Chocolate

Set in Asia: Crazy Rich Asians

Written by a Comedian: Driving Like Crazy

"Cake" in the Title: Crazy About Cakes

Geography or Maps: Crazy Like US: The Globalization of the American Psyche

Man-Hunk: Going Cowboy Crazy

Rose on the Cover: Crazy Love You

Woman in High Heels on Cover: Crazy Cool

Mystery: Crazy Eights

Neil Gaiman: Crazy Hair

Magic Tricks or Illusions: Amazing Magic Tricks: 25 Fantastic Ideas for Crafty and Crazy Conjuring

Clouds: Crazy for the Storm

How To: I Felt a Bit Funny: Create Crazy Collectibles from Needle Felted Wool

Cheese: Cheesie Mack is Running Like Crazy!

Paranormal: How to Drive a Dragon Crazy

• Like 21

My goal this year is to read 52 books.  I've joined in the past, but haven't been very successful.  I definitely am doing the dusty book challenge, because my shelves are overflowing!   

I want to incorporate this challenge with my goal of low/no spending by taking advantage of free kindle classics and my local libraries.  

I am currently reading The Immortalsby Jordanna Max Brodsky.  I'm really enjoying it so far...

• Like 26

PS Forgot to mention what I am currently reading.  It is "Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience" by Lawrence Gonzales.  I loved his previous book, "Deep Survival:  Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why".  He looks at data and pulls it together in unusual ways, which I always enjoy a great deal.  (This is also what I love about Malcolm Gladwell, for instance.)  I'm about halfway through it, and it's really engaging.  It covers the brain chemistry and function that enables people to survive and also tends to influence how they recover from past trauma.  I think it's a good book in general about coping skills and how to encourage them, even though it's not structured or presented that way.  Resilience seems like a great thing to start a new year with!

• Like 21

Okay, I decided on 107 books as my prime number of reads. Taken from birthstone challenge and reading 26 books in alpha order by author alphabetical. Time will tell! Enjoyed prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, broccoli and and wonderfully delicious bottle of 2006 Dom Perignon Champagne for dinner. Celebrating the purchase of our new building!!!! A fine beginning to 2017! Welcome to all our newbies and those trying again. This is the year you will succeed!

• Like 28

Happy new year!

I finished:

Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong: Why We Love France but Not the French (In Dutch)

Although the book is a little outdated, I learned so much about the French culture (and discovered some similiarities with Wallonian people from Belgium and have to admit I made some mistakes....)

I am currently reading 'Oorlog en Terpentijn' (War & Terpentine) recommanded by Tress.

Enjoy your readings!

• Like 24

Apple, Happy Birthday!!!

Kareni, I have been thinking about you. So glad you checked in.

Mom Ninja, You just added to my holds list. Ink and Bone looks like something I will love. By any chance does it include ancient Egypt in the storyline? Trying to find Rome or Egypt for the birthstone challenge....... Still going to read it but haven't had time to search more.

• Like 18

PS Forgot to mention what I am currently reading.  It is "Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience" by Lawrence Gonzales.  I loved his previous book, "Deep Survival:  Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why".  He looks at data and pulls it together in unusual ways, which I always enjoy a great deal.  (This is also what I love about Malcolm Gladwell, for instance.)  I'm about halfway through it, and it's really engaging.  It covers the brain chemistry and function that enables people to survive and also tends to influence how they recover from past trauma.  I think it's a good book in general about coping skills and how to encourage them, even though it's not structured or presented that way.  Resilience seems like a great thing to start a new year with!

This sounds like one I would like since I loved all of Malcolm Gladwell's books.

• Like 15

"Hillbilly Elegy" was my favorite new-to-me book of 2016--an absolute standout in a year that included many good books that I had never read before. Probably my second favorite would be a tie between "All The Light We Cannot See", which was extremely difficult to get into but worth the repeated tries (thank you, book club!), and "Americahnah" which somehow I had failed to read before.

Americanah is on my list!

I really loved All the Light We Cannot See. I get jealous when I see people with it and they are reading it for the first time.

• Like 19

This year I am doing it!  I have figured out how this time.  I had great intentions in the past but just had a hard time sitting down and actually doing it.

This year I have joined Audible and will be listening to a book a month.  I do it in my car going back and forth to work and then as I walk around, cook, etc...

So far I have three books on my list, and they aren't from a list, but I do like that idea and will be looking at making a rhyme or reason list.  

Leaving Time (I am half way through) by Jodi Picoult

The Help (there is my made into a movie one!)

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Society 

I would like to read a thriller, a mystery, something historical, something classic, something that was made into a play (maybe Wicked?), and I will have to think about the rest of my list.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 27

Happy New Year all!

I finished the last book in the Medicus series by Ruth Downie on New Year's eve. They were a nice form of post-election escapism!  I heartily enjoyed them.  If she writes another book in the series, I will be sure to read it!  I loved her characters and the realistic history.

I stumbled on a post somewhere of Cindy Rollins' (of Circe Institute and Mere Motherhood fame) who talked about how influential the Waverley novels of Sir Walter Scott used to be.  My dad would talk of how much he loved those books as a kid.  I think they were the Harry Potter of their time.  Anyway, the only one I've ever read is Ivanhoe, so I decided I was going to get more Scott in my life.  I started reading Waverley which I think is the first novel, but maybe not.  It's confusing.  Anyway, so far I am enjoying it.

I also got a jump start on reading City of God by Augustine.  I am participating in a group read on twitter starting 1/12/17.  Only my twitter account got hacked or something and I can't figure out to fix it.  So gotta work on that.

I think the only challenges I am going to work on this year are:  52 Books in 52 Weeks (I only made it to 41 this year) and I think I'll also do the Bingo thing.  That's about all the challenges I can keep track of.  

• Like 26

I'm timidly joining this year for the first time, though some of the books I have on my list this year are pretty meaty and may end up taking over most of my reading time. Specifically, I'm in a German book club (whew, are those books heavy!) and an Augustine's City of God book club.

With the beginning of the new year, I'm doing some reflective reading, and working my way through A Mother's Rule of Life once again. My parenting needs a brush up, so I'm picking up Give them Grace. My first City of God discussion group meets this Saturday, so I'll be working on that one in the next few days. And I've got Eugenia Cheng's How to Bake Pi going as well as Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets, an economics books that I'm going to be reading through with my economics kid.

Emily

• Like 27

I'm timidly joining this year for the first time, though some of the books I have on my list this year are pretty meaty and may end up taking over most of my reading time. Specifically, I'm in a German book club (whew, are those books heavy!) and an Augustine's City of God book club.

With the beginning of the new year, I'm doing some reflective reading, and working my way through A Mother's Rule of Life once again. My parenting needs a brush up, so I'm picking up Give them Grace. My first City of God discussion group meets this Saturday, so I'll be working on that one in the next few days. And I've got Eugenia Cheng's How to Bake Pi going as well as Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets, an economics books that I'm going to be reading through with my economics kid.

Emily

Ooh!  You are reading City of God too!  That's exciting.  Are you in a in-real-life group or something on line?

Reinventing the Bazaar sounds like a neat read.

• Like 16

Violet, I had no idea Veblen was real!

I thought he was constructed for the purposes of the novel :)

#embarassing

Well we're even, then: I assumed The Portable Veblen was a compendium of excerpts from his writings! :D

Anyone read this article, by the way? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/18/business/media/forget-pat-the-bunny-my-child-is-reading-hemingway.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

• Like 16

Mom Ninja, You just added to my holds list. Ink and Bone looks like something I will love. By any chance does it include ancient Egypt in the storyline? Trying to find Rome or Egypt for the birthstone challenge....... Still going to read it but haven't had time to search more.

Why yes it does. The main library is in Alexandria and where most of the book takes place. 

Newbie question: Can the same book be applied to two separate challenges? Several of my bingo selections are chunky books. 

I don't use the same book for another square on Bingo. I don't know about separate challenges though. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 16

Okay, I decided on 107 books as my prime number of reads. Taken from birthstone challenge and reading 26 books in alpha order by author alphabetical. Time will tell!

OK, I just spotted this regarding the alphabet challenge. Author's last names in alphabetical order. I will try....

Also I am glad you had such a lovely celebration last night. Your meal sounds yummy!

I finished my first book of the year, Complication by Adamson

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12769703-complication?ac=1&from_search=true. I did read about 10% in 2016 but for the purpose of the alphabetical will count it, especially since when I came to the tread five minutes ago I thought this book was a C because I was going to alphabetize by title. The fact the author's last name is Adamson makes me feel like this book wants to be counted. Plus this book was so confusing it took me a really long time to read it.

The book goes all over the place, Chicago,Prague, pre nazi invasion Prague, 1600's. My head is definitely spinning trying to keep it all straight. It was intriguing enough to keep me reading. I think I understand maybe 80% of it. Trying to digest it in light of the info at the very end. It changes so much and maybe makes the whole thing make more sense!

• Like 16

I abandoned my first book of 2017: An Ember in the Ashes.  I didn't give it a long chance, because it began in a way I object to and I didn't feel like continuing. It felt very formulaic, but my main objection was that it began with some brutal violence that seemed to be designed to get me to sympathize with the character.  But the character hadn't been developed yet, I'd barely gotten to know her, so this felt gimmicky and manipulative.  I am ok with violence in service of a plot or theme, but I don't like feeling emotionally manipulated. I compared it to GRR Martin: there is certainly plenty of violence in those books, but a) it doesn't feel formulaic - there are lots of unexpected plot twists, and b) you have gotten to know a character, even gotten attached to them, before the bad things happen. So you are invested in them and you can believe in their reactions, rather than just feeling like you're watching a movie where a bunch of gross bad stuff happens at the beginning. 

No worries, but now I need another A or E book and another debut Author! I think I have a bunch of those on my goodreads shelf, though.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 21

I abandoned my first book of 2017: An Ember in the Ashes.  I didn't give it a long chance, because it began in a way I object to and I didn't feel like continuing. It felt very formulaic, but my main objection was that it began with some brutal violence that seemed to be designed to get me to sympathize with the character.  But the character hadn't been developed yet, I'd barely gotten to know her, so this felt gimmicky and manipulative.  I am ok with violence in service of a plot or theme, but I don't like feeling emotionally manipulated. I compared it to GRR Martin: there is certainly plenty of violence in those books, but a) it doesn't feel formulaic - there are lots of unexpected plot twists, and b) you have gotten to know a character, even gotten attached to them, before the bad things happen. So you are invested in them and you can believe in their reactions, rather than just feeling like you're watching a movie where a bunch of gross bad stuff happens at the beginning. 

No worries, but now I need another A or E book and another debut Author! I think I have a bunch of those on my goodreads shelf, though.

Good to know. I had that on my TR list. 

I have Lilac Girls down for my debut author

• Like 12

Well we're even, then: I assumed The Portable Veblen was a compendium of excerpts from his writings! :D

Anyone read this article, by the way? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/18/business/media/forget-pat-the-bunny-my-child-is-reading-hemingway.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

That article...ridiculous is my instinctive reaction. And missing the point entirely both 'literarily' and from the standpoint of child development. If I know you the littlest bit VC I'm guessing that was posted tongue-in-cheek? And if not, well then you are a woman of far more complexity that I realized ;)

My current reading has me interested in revisiting some of the Eastern European classics. Onto the list went Pasternak, Chekov and Tolstoy. Have to get some feminine energy in there. Any suggestions? All that's coming to mind is Anna Akhmatova whom I've dabbled in but not too deeply.

• Like 16

Hmmmm. I suppose it is no different that those old "Classics Illustrated" or "Classics for Children" series, which were perfect at one point for my reluctant reader. Or the wonderful retellings that Jim Weiss has done, which my kids loved and served as a great introduction to Sherlock Holmes stories and Shakespeare. 

The parents who have "snapped up books that promise to turn their children into tiny literature lovers" reminds me of a time years and years ago, before I was a mom, when I worked at a teacher's store. A couple with a young baby came in one day looking for materials to teach their child -- that infant in arms --to read. What they were looking for were those flashcards that were all the rage at the time (late 80s) which were supposed to teach children to read before they could even speak! I kindly explained to them that we didn't sell those flashcards, that our company philosophy was that reading aloud to children, even to babies, was the best start. The couple didn't believe me, weren't interested the idea that looking at board books, or tactile books while cuddled together on the couch would create the warm associations of books and love and comfort, that reading could naturally grow from that.

Of course more than one set of parents and grandparents wanted to know where the instructions were for a box of building blocks. I'd get blank stares when I said the idea was for kids to use their imaginations and build whatever they want!

• Like 18