Menu

Classical Writing Users- I need help

LisaD

We are using Aesop A (3rd gr), and so far I have felt like the grammar portion hasn't been rigorous enough (we used FLL1 and 2 in first and second grade), so I was going to supplement with R &S but then looked at Aesop B and realize the grammar gets more rigorous, which is good. But for the rest of this year I was wondering if I should do 1 week (grammar and writing in the same week vs one week) for each passage, then move into Aesop B whenever we finish during this school year OR continue at same pace and supplement with some R&S to beef up the grammar in Aesop A? I feel like the current 2wk per passage pace drags a little and I feel like I want a more rigorous grammar (Like what I see in Aesop B). I do have R&S English 3, so I can supplement as needed. What are your thoughts? So far my DS has done very well with the outline, first draft, final draft retelling process. I'm still doing a lot of directing during the outlining, but there has been some obvious gains in independence. I'd like to iron out my plan before break is over so I can start fresh after break with no lag time.

Thank you in advance for your insights. :)

If you add grammar on to this term, and then that exact same grammar is presented in the next term, then you'll have either a disengaged student, or more work for yourself, continuing to add in outside grammar.

Trust the process and relax about hitting grammar hard and heavy every single term. There's really only so much grammar to be learnt!