Menu

Black bedroom

umsami

So one of my kids would like to paint their room black.  

i want to honor that request, but also want some advice.

If you've done that, what do I need to worry about?

Should I suggest only one wall or the use of blackboard paint or ????

How difficult will it be to paint over if we ever decide to?

You should plan to prime before painting over, but That might not even be necessary. I once had a deep red wall. It was a Ralph Lauren color and the paint guy told me he'd never seen that much magenta in a paint in his life. I covered it with only two coats of a pale grey-blue. Paints are reall good now.

My daughter painted her room red. I wasn't sure about it, but it looks really nice. She has a lot of windows, white doors, and a lot of black and white photos in there so it looks really nice.

• Like 2

Probably not any bigger of a pain than painting over red. Use a gray primer. I'd try to talk them into one black wall (chalkboard paint would be cool!) with dark gray walls. Benjamin Moore has some really lovely deep grays like Iron Mountain. You can get any brand tinted their colors. I'd also use as matte a paint as you can. We painted DS's bathroom dark navy and the painters used a glossier paint than I wanted, and every bump and flaw in the wall shows.

• Like 2

How old is your kiddo?  

I anticipated this request (it is very common from young teens) and decided not to allow it based on color theory, which you may or may not trust.  I went with a good (not a highlighter) yellow and just the other day, my now-21yo son said that the yellow room was the best one ever.  Yellow is supposed to be a good color for rooms where you want a lot of creativity but not over-excitement.  

(Red is supposed to be a color that increases hunger and also makes you want to move along...lots of restaurants know this...). :0)

As for repainting the color, I defer to the others, as I have no experience.  A good primer is worth it's...volume...in gold.

When I made that request, my parents just let me know that I'd be in charge of all costs that went with painting and eventually repainting. I decided against it and instead did a border using magazine cut outs.

My parents generally didn't say no, just let me know that I would bear the full cost in time and money of any inconvenience I caused.

Emily

• Like 1

How old is your kiddo?  

I anticipated this request (it is very common from young teens) and decided not to allow it based on color theory, which you may or may not trust.  I went with a good (not a highlighter) yellow and just the other day, my now-21yo son said that the yellow room was the best one ever.  Yellow is supposed to be a good color for rooms where you want a lot of creativity but not over-excitement.  

(Red is supposed to be a color that increases hunger and also makes you want to move along...lots of restaurants know this...). :0)

As for repainting the color, I defer to the others, as I have no experience.  A good primer is worth it's...volume...in gold.

13.  He also tends towards depression, which worries me in regards to the color.

The color of the current room is a butter yellow.  It was the office before it became his room.

I'd see if he might be OK with doing one wall in chalkboard paint and using another color for the rest of the room. I can understand why a teen boy might not want yellow, but maybe he would be OK with blue or gray or forest green or something. But if he really wants black walls, I'd probably let him do it. (But not the ceiling!)

• Like 3

We are moving into a new place soon, and dd12 requested black paint for her new room. Dd had to help with the painting. We did one wall and the in-set door panels in black chalkboard paint, which was more effort than the other 3 walls with their black regular paint, but it looks really nice. I nixed the idea of a black ceiling. The trim is white, and dd has chosen shades of aqua and teal for her curtains and bedding, etc. I think it is striking, in a good way. The electrician even brought in some black outlet covers to blend into the walls. We painted the interior of her closet a pale shade of blue, so she can find things in there. 

My dd does suffer from anxiety, and goes through bouts of depression, but I think allowing her to choose and help create the space she wants is good for her sense of self. 

MIL was upset at the idea at first (MIL will be living in the house eventually too), but I am not bothered at all. Lots of other people said "just say no" or "you can just put your foot down," but I don't really get the horror.

Edited by slackermom
  • Like 4

We had a close family friend with a black room. It was for a teen girl. It looked fabulous. She had black walls with lots of white trim and built ins. I don't know if I would have liked it so much if it didn't have the bright white to stand out from the black. I think she used another bright color, maybe pink, for accents.

When they sold they house, it was very easy to paint over and redo. Well, just as easy as any other color.

• Like 2

We had a red kitchen. Well, maroon-y red, but it was dark and so red. Got a grey primer. Painted over it no problem. Went with a much lighter color. Previous homeowner were messy painters so the paint left on the edges of the cabinets, light switches, countertops, etc was another story.

• Like 1

Paint is so much better now than it used to be. I had not painted much in nearly a decade and then I got new paint for the living room a year ago and I couldn't believe how easy it was to paint over the red.

If it was my kid, I'd make him start with a single wall. Not that he can't paint more later, but do a wall, see how it is and if it's "enough" for the statement by living with it for at least a few weeks and then he can do more if he must.

• Like 1

My kid has a not-quite black room. It's close enough that everyone calls it black but it's more of a deep charcoal with dark purple undertones.

His trim and ceiling are bright white, floor is natural cork. He's got a huge window with sheers and deep blue drapes. But it's never overly dark. I think it looks beautiful. And not depressing.

• Like 2

A close friend's daughter did black paint on the walls but not the chalkboard paint becIse she is allergic. If you don't have allergies to chalkdust or a carpet that could ruin with chalkdust then I would consider chalkboard paint, possibly mixed with magnetic paint, for one wall. It is harder to paint with so I wouldn't do all the walls that way. I agree with maybe starting with just one wall to see how he likes it. Maybe give it a week or two and if he still wants to then paint the other walls. I honestly don't see a problem with repainting later, especially if you use a quality paint both times.

If you keep the ceiling white or a grey and he adds in a great set of accent colors the room could look fabulous and really make it his own, even if he paints all 4 walls black.

Personally, FWIW, I don't tend to do as well in yellow colored rooms but I feel happier with blues, blacks and greys. Maybe your son would be happier with the black or a dark grey than the yellow.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

Think carefully about the chalkboard paint. A friend did this on a wall of her daughter's room. When her daughter moved out, they had to replace the carpet because the chalk dust had ruined it. 

Another thought I have with this is, we painted a very smooth craft board with chalkboard paint and it wasn't that great.  It's hard to get it as smooth as the chalkboards you buy.  So it doesn't clean up easily.  The texture isn't so great.

I dunno, maybe I didn't do it right, but I wasn't that thrilled with the results.

• Like 2

I've never done black, but the boys had indigo for a wall color. It was super dark, and the walls popped well with the bright white ceiling and trim, and the light wood floor. They have a huge window on one wall, so not dark. Lighting and having light accents does make a lot of difference in how the room feels. As dark as the walls were, the room felt both restful and airy because of the clean look. 

• Like 1

When I first moved to the US, my fiancé had just painted our room dark blue and dark red. I hated it, it was too dark, and I'm pretty sure it made my depression worse. So, while YMMV, I'd be very hesitant to let a depressed kid paint a room black. I'd be all on board to paint it something other than that butter yellow though - that doesn't look like a fun color for a teenager either.