Menu

looking for some lower carb breakfasts, not eggs

DawnM

I am somewhat allergic to eggs.  I scored 3 out of a level up to 5 on the allergy testing.

In playing around with eating, this seems to mean that I can have an egg as an ingredient in something (like one or two eggs in a meatloaf where I only end up having a little) but I can't do an omelette, boiled egg, or that egg bread Atkins thing, etc.....  I just tried to have eggs for two days and ended up with nausea and gastric issues that you don't want to know about...... :leaving:

So, I need a low carb, somewhat low fat breakfast, and easy/fast.

I have been doing bars, but honestly, they don't fill me up.  And I don't really like shakes for much the same reason.

Thoughts?

I often eat protein bars, but it sounds like that doesn't work for you.

We've spent a lot of time in countries that serve beans at breakfast.  Black beans especially.  I wonder if heating up some black beans with vegetables on the side would be filling?  (I love asparagus for breakfast, for some reason!)  Or black beans in a GF wrap.  (Can you eat cheese?  Salsa?)  

In the Middle East, we ate fava beans at breakfast layered with olive oil and garlic.  It took a little time to get used to them at breakfast, but after that I began craving them.

• Like 1

My fast go to breakfast is cheese.  Just a few slices of cheese seems to give me the protein and fat to start the day off right.  

If I was cooking a low carb breakfast, I might do bacon with hash browns made of shredded Brussel sprouts fried in the bacon grease.  Absolutely delicious and I'm sure it would make a lovely breakfast, but in reality that's dinner in my house because I cook in the mornings.  

• Like 1

Cottage cheese and unsweetened Greek yogurt smoothies - so good! Frozen berries, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, water or unsweetened almond milk, a little cream, and sweetener of your choice.

I had forgotten about that. I think I'll make one for dessert tonight for me. Sometimes I add a little cocoa powder and natural peanut butter. And whipped cream on top. Mmm!

Perhaps almond butter slathered on an apple or celery sticks

Cheese and nuts (I love a chunk of GOOD cheese with a handful of nuts and possibly a few dried figs). I will also go for a handful of walnuts with dried figs (costco has the most amazing bag of figs).

I LOVE the Against All Grain waffle recipe (I make the recipe and do pancakes instead then I freeze them and just pop one in the toaster oven or microwave to warm. If I'm feeling especially motivated, I'll heat up some berries on the stove and make a berry topping).

I also have a paleo muffin recipe that is really good, so something along those lines and just make a batch and have them on hand for something quick and easy to grab.

For cooking, maybe leftover potatoes heated up with some kind of meat on the side, or leftover sweet potatoes fried up with a little kale thrown in and a meat on the side.

I'm also fine with non-breakfast-y things, so even some tuna on an apple or celery or in lettuce leaves.

I just like to prep a bunch of stuff and grab whatever I feel like whenever I feel like - doesn't have to be the "right" food for the time of day.

• Like 1

To make your protein shake keep you full, add about 2T cream cheese to it (use a stick blender to combine).  This is my go-to fast low carb breakfast.  Cold water, chocolate sugar free protein powder, cream cheese.  Plus it tastes an awful lot like a milkshake...

Otherwise...  

patty style breakfast sausage, perhaps with a slice of cheese melted over it

Dinner leftovers

Low carb muffins (egg as an ingredient)

Cottage cheese with a small portion of berries

I make what I call "breakfast bowls" - ground meat/sausage sautéed with some veggies. I make a big batch, and freeze in individual portions. I defrost the night before and sauté that morning, though you could microwave it.

Some combinations I like:

Ground beef with butternut squash and spinach

Italian sausage with zucchini and tomatoes

Pork roast with green beans

Turkey with sweet potato and greens

• Like 2

I know that yogurt isn't super low carb, but when I'm eating low carb (as I should be right now!), yogurt with berries is my go-to breakfast. It keeps me full and the carbs are low enough for me. 

I don't have an egg allergy, but I dislike eggs...so this thread has been super helpful to me as well!

• Like 1

Thanks.  I would have to pre-make it.  I leave the house at 6am and take breakfast on the go.  

Yogurt would be easy to take with me.  

I do have a microwave once I get to work, and about 10 min. before students walk in to eat it.  It just needs to be easily portable.

And no, it doesn't have to be actual breakfast food.  I often have leftovers for breakfast, it just isn't as easy to carry with me to work, although maybe I should get some more containers for transporting.

Edited by DawnM

How about chia pudding?  I looove chia pudding!!

Anne

I used to do this for my kids the night before hectic mornings. In an 8 oz mason jar, use 3 parts greek yogurt to two parts Naked juice, and then add a tablespoon or two of chia seeds and mix it all up. The chia seeds absorb all the liquid and they release a kind of gel, so all mixed together it makes a pudding-y kind of thing. Very customizable! Just make sure you keep toothpicks, floss, and a little mirror handy. Those chia seeds tend to hunker down and make a nest in ever possible dental crevice :lol:

You could probably add in some oats as well, to give it a little more chewiness. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

there are a lot of different chia pudding recipes on the web - this one is my favorite:

1-1/2 cups milk - can use regular or coconut

1/4 cup chia seeds

1 large dollop peanut butter - maybe 1/4 cup?

1 T maple syrup 

1 tsp vanilla

mix.  divide into two containers.  let sit about 15 minutes.  stir well and return to fridge until morning.  

Keeps several days.

Sometimes I eat this with some thawed frozen raspberries.  

You could replace the peanut butter with any kind of nut butter or forego it altogether.

anne

I make what I call "breakfast bowls" - ground meat/sausage sautéed with some veggies. I make a big batch, and freeze in individual portions. I defrost the night before and sauté that morning, though you could microwave it.

that sounds so good

This would also be interesting as mini quiche muffins (I know that doesn't satisfy the no egg requirement...just thinking of myself here..LOL).

Do you bake the butternut squash and then freeze it?

Do you bake the butternut squash and then freeze it?

Yes. Ideally, I cube it and then roast it. (Often I'll make it with leftovers.)

I will add that I am not terribly picky when it comes to texture of foods after freezing. Squash seems to be fine, but things like zucchini and tomato can be very watery when frozen and then defrosted. But I like the taste, and I am slightly picky about source/quality of ingredients, so that's where my priorities lie.

• Like 1

Avocado toast is a favorite of ours. Slice, mash, whatever arrangement you please - the avocado on toast and drizzle with a good olive oil and salt and cracked black pepper. You can skip the toast if you're going for low carb and throw in some grilled veggies from last night's dinner. The fats from the olive oil and avocado are filling and keep us satiated until lunch time.

• Like 1

Oh, the avocado toast reminded me of this great recipe for paleo English muffins/toast that dd and I found while doing Whole30. IMO, you need to make it and let it cool before toasting. It must be toasted or you can really taste the egg.  But we loved it and marveled at the consistency!  Good stuff.

http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/paleo-english-muffins/

• Like 1

Greek yogurt, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and a little honey.  Mix, let sit for 5 min for the chia seeds to do their thing and the nibs to soften a bit. 

Protein powder, a little bit of rolled oats, and chia seeds, hemp seeds, mixed with milk. Again, sit for 3-5 min before eating. It's more like cereal, and you don't need the rolled oats if you don't like them. For best results, mix the dry ingredients with a fork beforehand, otherwise the chia seeds clump more than optimal. I don't like protein powder usually but find that this breaks it up enough that I don't mind. 

Avocado slices with sausage, with or without cheese and english muffin. 

Basically fajitas (meat, bell pepper, onion) with avocado, cheese, optionally wrapped in corn tortillas. 

ETA: chicken chilaquiles, just go easy on the chips/tortillas if you want less carbs. there are casserole versions that work well for dinner, then can be reheated for breakfast. or just made for breakfast. I'll add the recipe I prefer if I can find it online, but there should be enough options to find one you think would work for you.

Edited by Moonhawk

I make a breakfast smoothie with a scoop of vegan pea protein powder. Coconut milk (unsweetened), ground flax seed, chia seed, berries. You could use another fruit for flavor but berries have the lowest glycemic index. Fast to mix and then sip as I drive.

Edited by Seasider

Oh, the avocado toast reminded me of this great recipe for paleo English muffins/toast that dd and I found while doing Whole30. IMO, you need to make it and let it cool before toasting. It must be toasted or you can really taste the egg.  But we loved it and marveled at the consistency!  Good stuff.

http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/paleo-english-muffins/

I haven't made these in awhile.  I used to make up a larger batch and bake them in a muffin top pan in the oven.  They store fairy well for a couple of days.  If I can manage to keep my family away from them.  They like them too.

Don't know if the eggs in these would be problematic, but I used to make low carb brownies with coconut flour.  I won't lie, they don't taste like brownies, but they are super dense and super filling.  I'd sometimes have one for breakfast because it was so quick and easy, but also because when I made them nobody else would eat them and so that was the only way for me to use them up.  They freeze well too.

I have the exact same egg problem as you. 

When I work, I eat a Yoplait or greek yogurt and have been enjoying the Clif kids bars (brownie is my favorite). These keep me pretty full until around 11 or so. I do love toast, but obviously not low carb.

Interestingly, I can eat baked eggs with no problems at all. My issue has to do with a protein in eggs that are not eliminated (killed?) through cooking lightly on the stove. Baking at higher temps/longer must destroy this protein. I love egg casseroles and for some reason I am able to eat McDonald's egg and biscuit sandwiches as well.