Menu

"Mutt" or pure breed?

Janeway

It seems to actually be easier to adopt a pure bred dog around here. I am not adopting today but planning for adopting maybe over the next year.

A family member had a Boston Terrier that I adored. I was thinking of getting that particular breed. But that dog seemed to die kind of young and had a lot of health problems.

I heard that "mutts" tend to be healthier and do much better in the long run. 

Is there really that much difference?

I have serious issues with widespread bad practices in breeding, so I'm a mutt person.  There are breeds that I love that I would probably only get from a breeder after *lengthy* individual research.  On my personal list would be Old English Mastiffs, Dalmatians (dh's list, not mine,) and probably Great Danes. Maybe pure Rottweilers.

But, really, my mutts (Rottie/Lab, Rottie/GSD, and some sort of gremlin with Chihuahua blood) have been FANTASTIC.  And not insanely expensive.

• Like 1

Due to the issues with breeders, I prefer mutts, too. I would never support a backyard breeder. I suppose if we were insistent on a particular breed we could find a reputable breeder, but there are so many, many dogs that need homes. Ours so far have all been rescues - though 3 were recognizable breeds, probably not mixes. Still, they came from the shelter, and truly needed homes. One of them was likely dumped by a breeder in the area, as he had undesirable markings for the breed. :(

Tomorrow we are going to (hopefully) adopt an Aussie mix through a rescue org. First time going through a rescue org, and it's pricey, but I'm happy the money goes to a good cause, and will help more dogs.

We've only had three dogs throughout our married life, two mutts/mixes and one pure bred. The pure bred by far had the worst health issues, although the reputable (or not) level of the breeder wasn't something we were able to make absolute certain of, so possibly a really thoroughly researched breeder who really breeds for best health might end up okay. It can be hard to find a truly reputable breeder, though, without massive amounts of research and expense, and usually adopting from a breed rescue is also more pricey and has stricter guidelines.

Personality and temperament, our mix dog (golden/lab mix) was worst, but she had been rescued from an abusive situation, and she was great with us just had separation anxiety. Our pure golden was pretty awesome personality-wise, but her health issues were extreme to the point we ended up having to put her down (she had the most extreme allergies imaginable, to the point where her treatment was actually creating more and bigger health problems, and the remaining alternatives would only have managed some of her symptoms, not her illness).

Our mutt that we have now, who is so mixed up no one knows what he is, is pretty awesome in all areas. I will be very sad when he passes, but we should have another maybe 10 yrs with him. We will go mixed breed/mutt from now on, though.

I prefer mutts because in general they have fewer health problems.  I refuse to buy from backyard breeders and cannot justify the costs of a dog from a responsible breeder (my hubby wants a miniature dachshund.  As these are not common dogs, I looked at licensed breeders.  Sorry, but $1500+ is not going to happen).

It really depends on what you want out of this dog.

Do you have severe allergies? A purebred is the way to best guarantee your own health.

Do you want to do a specific dog sport? Again, a purebred will give you the most predictable set of characteristics.

Do you just want a pet to love on and enjoy? A rescue is a great choice.

It is all about doing your homework - there is a huge difference between breeds re: health statistics. Some, like standard poodles, are extremely healthy, and others, like bulldogs, are genetically manipulated to the point that they physically can't reproduce without human intervention. It is up to you as the buyer to choose a breed or mix that makes sense for your family. A reputable breeder (key word = reputable) will inform you of all the down-sides of her breed as well as their benefits, and give you health certificates along with your registration papers. In the same way, any rescue organization worth their salt should present you with the best and worst qualities (to the best of their knowledge) of the pup you are considering. Listen to their warnings. It is easy to be won over by a cute face, but if it is a high maintenance dog and you are a low maintenance family, you may not be a match.

• Like 6

It really depends on what you want out of this dog.

Do you have severe allergies? A purebred is the way to best guarantee your own health.

Do you want to do a specific dog sport? Again, a purebred will give you the most predictable set of characteristics.

Do you just want a pet to love on and enjoy? A rescue is a great choice.

It is all about doing your homework - there is a huge difference between breeds re: health statistics. Some, like standard poodles, are extremely healthy, and others, like bulldogs, are genetically manipulated to the point that they physically can't reproduce without human intervention. It is up to you as the buyer to choose a breed or mix that makes sense for your family. A reputable breeder (key word = reputable) will inform you of all the down-sides of her breed as well as their benefits, and give you health certificates along with your registration papers. In the same way, any rescue organization worth their salt should present you with the best and worst qualities (to the best of their knowledge) of the pup you are considering. Listen to their warnings. It is easy to be won over by a cute face, but if it is a high maintenance dog and you are a low maintenance family, you may not be a match.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

And if you think you might want a purebred dog, make sure it's a real breed. There are some very cute designer dogs with cute names, but those are not real breeds.

• Like 4

IME both with my own dogs (eight since I've been an adult, some mutts, some purebred) and with the dogs I've fostered and worked with in rescue (mostly mutts, but not all) -- it's a total crap shoot. I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that mutts are on the whole healthier than purebreds. There are way too many factors involved to make such a simplistic statement. Just like with humans, a lot depends on the mother's prenatal nutrition and the pup's early nutrition. It depends on what breed the purebred is (as stated, some tend to have fewer health issues than others), how good the breeder is (the good ones will test their breeding dogs for all known health issues within the breed that are possible to test for), what mix and how mixed the mutt is, etc. The main mistake I think most people make in assuming a mutt is always healthier is in not taking into account the mix. If you get a true "Heinz 57" dog then maybe. But it's still a crap shoot. If you get a mix of two breeds known to have more than the normal share of health issues -- then IME you're not likely getting a healthier dog than if you went with a purebred of either breed. Many people rather ignorantly seem to assume a mixed breed dog will inherit the best of both breeds and little to none of the bad. It doesn't always work that way.

If you're really worried about health issues my advice would be to adopt a dog who is at least two or three years old. By that time any health issues that show up early will be known. My second piece of advice is to establish some savings to cover pet health costs before you ever get that pet. No matter how healthy it is there almost certainly will be some sickness and accidents that require vet attention.

• Like 4

I prefer mutts because in general they have fewer health problems.  I refuse to buy from backyard breeders and cannot justify the costs of a dog from a responsible breeder (my hubby wants a miniature dachshund.  As these are not common dogs, I looked at licensed breeders.  Sorry, but $1500+ is not going to happen).

Just an FYI -- "Licensed" and "good" aren't the same thing when it comes to breeders. And in fact "licensed" can often mean a puppy mill.

• Like 2

I love all dogs but I have such a soft spot in my heart for mutts. We've got five of them right now (aussie/catahoula, german shepherd/lab, lab/pit, pointer/greyhound, and a little mystery mutt). We also have two purebreds, a lab and a Jack Russell.

I haven't found it to be true that mutts have fewer health problems. As a PP said, I think it is just a crap shoot. We've had mutts with severe medical issues that cost many thousands of dollars to treat, and we've had purebreds that were very low maintenance - like our purebred Walker coonhound who lived to the age of 15 without ever having so much as a case of the sniffles. 

If you are thinking of getting a purebred, I would be sure to research the breed thoroughly. Some breeds are genetically more prone to health problems than others. Talking to a vet beforehand can be very helpful, because they have seen it all when it comes to breeds and their health problems.   

• Like 1

We've had both.  Currently we have purebreds because we wanted a specific dog that my children's allergies could handle.  I love nonshedding so may always have a dog that doesn't shed, I'm converted.  Biggest health issues were with a boxer mix from the pound. From 9 months on she had health issues, hip dysplasia, colitis, allergies, skin sensitivity, etc   She had an awesome personality but her health was awful. Rottie/Lab mix was pretty healthy dog with great temperment,  Healthiest dog we had was PWD from an excellent breeder.  He had zero health problems until he died of cancer at 10.  We now have two more dogs from her and both are doing well, they are only 1 and 2.5 yrs old though.

After spending a fortune at the vet, I asked him, "What is the dog you never see?" (I was joking of course, but essentially asking which breed was the healthiest/fewest problems etc.

He immediately said, "Mixed breeds."

I'm at the dog park almost daily and love all the dogs out there but it is sad to see how badly many of the "pure breeds" are bred.

Alley

I have never heard of dog breeders having to be licensed.

I've had both and the dog with the worst health problem was one we adopted.  He was my heart dog though and I miss him still.  We currently have purebreds and we are seriously involved with breeding.  Dd's English Setter is finishing her health clearances in January, and if all goes well, she will be bred this spring.  Issues in breeding English Setters are hypothyroidism, deafness, and elbow and hip dysplasia   She will have her thyroid, hips and elbows tested and the stud we use will also have passed these tests.  She was tested for deafness as a puppy.  Both of my Dc show dogs for many local breeders, so we are well connected with reputable breeders in our area.  They put a lot of time and effort into breeding and do everything they can to ensure healthy puppies.  None of them make money on their breedings and they are not having litters every single year.  None of them are licensed by the state--that is for puppy mills.  A few we know have kennels that provide boarding for pets and their kennels are licensed.  

I see the issue of rescue/purebed quite differently than most.  I want to see preservation of the diverse offerings of the many many breeds which each have specific characteristics and purposes.  There is a reason some dogs make better therapy dogs, service dogs, farm dogs, police dogs, working dogs.  There is a reason that Seeing eye uses specific breeds.  I would hate to see the loss of the distinct characteristics of breeds.  There are mixed breeds who do well as therapy dogs or service dogs, but often that is b/c they have inherited specific traits from their breeds of origin.

I think of it this way: there is a movement in gardening/farming towards the preservation of heirloom plants.  Plants that have not been genetically modified.  There are people who don't want to lose those plants forever.  Responsible breeders are doing their best to preserve the unique qualities of purebred dogs so that we will not lose the uniqueness of the particular breed they are breeding.  We are carefully considering which dog to use for our litter of English Setters and this will be our first time breeding.  It is Dd's dog (actually she is a bitch, but not everyone is used to using that term, lol) who we are breeding.  We are breeding her b/c she is an outstanding example of an English Setter.  She is sweet and loving, but also an up and doing dog.  She's got a little bit of attitude that just makes people look when she walks by, yet she is also willing to please. She has been successful in showing, in obedience, and in agility.   We have not tried hunt tests or barn dog yet, but that is in her future.  We are looking for a stud dog that will compensate for some of her deficiencies (she is a little light on bone, and her head is a little narrow).  

And later today Dd and I are heading to a friend/breeder's house to help socialize puppies.  We will also play with their mom who we have known for years.  Their dad lives in California and we know him too, though not as well.  It is a beautiful thing to know the litter was carefully planned and lovingly cared for.  I have helped this breeder with a very difficult litter of 11 when the mother could not care for her puppies.  We  fed every couple of hours by hand and recruited a small army of 10 people to rotate feeding so no one would get exhausted.  After about 4 days, thankfully another breeder brought a surrogate mom to feed the puppies.  He had begun to wean her puppies and she had plenty of milk to feed the struggling litter.  At his own expense he made the trip and offered to help.  My friend almost lost the mother and spent a small fortune saving her and her puppies.  These are some dedicated breeders who love their dogs.

There is nothing wrong with rescuing a dog.  We have done it several times.  But there is also nothing wrong with choosing to buy from a responsible breeder who is doing his/her best to maintain the characteristics of their chosen breed--but make sure you know what that means.  It does not mean licensing by the state.  There are many websites that will tell you what to look for in a responsible breeder.  

The breeding of dogs is becoming quite a political issue.  Those who do not understand the meaning of 'responsible' breeder and do not understand the time and effort that goes into breeding think licensing would be a good idea, but in reality, licensing and government regulations would make it very difficult for truly responsible breeders to continue breeding.  In many states there are bills on the table that would force most responsible breeders to stop breeding.  They would not be able to afford it.  If the regulations are passed puppy mills will be the only breeders left.  It is quite a complicated issue if you do the research and there are no easy answers.  My Ds has been involved in our state Federation of Dog Clubs and he has lobbied in our state capitol to revise these bills and make them more friendly for responsible breeders.  It's a difficult battle and he has found that there are people and powerful lobbying interests who would like to see an end to all purebreds.  If they had their way they would make regulations that would allow no purebred breeding at all.  I do not want to see that happen.  

So those are my two cents about what many do not realize is becoming a hot button issue.  I posted b/c I see some misunderstanding within several of the posts here, not b/c I want the OP to buy a purebred dog.  As in all choices we make, it is best to be informed and make a well researched careful decision.  

One last thing--as far as the cost of purebreds goes--there are sometimes older dogs (4-5) who are no longer going to be shown or bred that a breeder will place in a home without requiring any payment at all, or for a very minimal fee.

• Like 5

I love mutts.  We have an insane amount of homeless dogs here though and the animal shelter is a kill shelter so I can't imagine buying a purebred dog when there are so many dogs who need a home.  I know that puppies are awesome but most of our dogs were between 8-12 months when we got them and it is kind of nice to see what you are getting personality and size-wise.  One of ours was a little skittish at first but he got over that really fast with lots of love an attention.  

I've had both and the dog with the worst health problem was one we adopted.  He was my heart dog though and I miss him still.  We currently have purebreds and we are seriously involved with breeding.  Dd's English Setter is finishing her health clearances in January, and if all goes well, she will be bred this spring.  Issues in breeding English Setters are hypothyroidism, deafness, and elbow and hip dysplasia   She will have her thyroid, hips and elbows tested and the stud we use will also have passed these tests.  She was tested for deafness as a puppy.  Both of my Dc show dogs for many local breeders, so we are well connected with reputable breeders in our area.  They put a lot of time and effort into breeding and do everything they can to ensure healthy puppies.  None of them make money on their breedings and they are not having litters every single year.  None of them are licensed by the state--that is for puppy mills.  A few we know have kennels that provide boarding for pets and their kennels are licensed.  

I see the issue of rescue/purebed quite differently than most.  I want to see preservation of the diverse offerings of the many many breeds which each have specific characteristics and purposes.  There is a reason some dogs make better therapy dogs, service dogs, farm dogs, police dogs, working dogs.  There is a reason that Seeing eye uses specific breeds.  I would hate to see the loss of the distinct characteristics of breeds.  There are mixed breeds who do well as therapy dogs or service dogs, but often that is b/c they have inherited specific traits from their breeds of origin.

I think of it this way: there is a movement in gardening/farming towards the preservation of heirloom plants.  Plants that have not been genetically modified.  There are people who don't want to lose those plants forever.  Responsible breeders are doing their best to preserve the unique qualities of purebred dogs so that we will not lose the uniqueness of the particular breed they are breeding.  We are carefully considering which dog to use for our litter of English Setters and this will be our first time breeding.  It is Dd's dog (actually she is a bitch, but not everyone is used to using that term, lol) who we are breeding.  We are breeding her b/c she is an outstanding example of an English Setter.  She is sweet and loving, but also an up and doing dog.  She's got a little bit of attitude that just makes people look when she walks by, yet she is also willing to please. She has been successful in showing, in obedience, and in agility.   We have not tried hunt tests or barn dog yet, but that is in her future.  We are looking for a stud dog that will compensate for some of her deficiencies (she is a little light on bone, and her head is a little narrow).  

And later today Dd and I are heading to a friend/breeder's house to help socialize puppies.  We will also play with their mom who we have known for years.  Their dad lives in California and we know him too, though not as well.  It is a beautiful thing to know the litter was carefully planned and lovingly cared for.  I have helped this breeder with a very difficult litter of 11 when the mother could not care for her puppies.  We  fed every couple of hours by hand and recruited a small army of 10 people to rotate feeding so no one would get exhausted.  After about 4 days, thankfully another breeder brought a surrogate mom to feed the puppies.  He had begun to wean her puppies and she had plenty of milk to feed the struggling litter.  At his own expense he made the trip and offered to help.  My friend almost lost the mother and spent a small fortune saving her and her puppies.  These are some dedicated breeders who love their dogs.

There is nothing wrong with rescuing a dog.  We have done it several times.  But there is also nothing wrong with choosing to buy from a responsible breeder who is doing his/her best to maintain the characteristics of their chosen breed--but make sure you know what that means.  It does not mean licensing by the state.  There are many websites that will tell you what to look for in a responsible breeder.  

The breeding of dogs is becoming quite a political issue.  Those who do not understand the meaning of 'responsible' breeder and do not understand the time and effort that goes into breeding think licensing would be a good idea, but in reality, licensing and government regulations would make it very difficult for truly responsible breeders to continue breeding.  In many states there are bills on the table that would force most responsible breeders to stop breeding.  They would not be able to afford it.  If the regulations are passed puppy mills will be the only breeders left.  It is quite a complicated issue if you do the research and there are no easy answers.  My Ds has been involved in our state Federation of Dog Clubs and he has lobbied in our state capitol to revise these bills and make them more friendly for responsible breeders.  It's a difficult battle and he has found that there are people and powerful lobbying interests who would like to see an end to all purebreds.  If they had their way they would make regulations that would allow no purebred breeding at all.  I do not want to see that happen.  

So those are my two cents about what many do not realize is becoming a hot button issue.  I posted b/c I see some misunderstanding within several of the posts here, not b/c I want the OP to buy a purebred dog.  As in all choices we make, it is best to be informed and make a well researched careful decision.  

One last thing--as far as the cost of purebreds goes--there are sometimes older dogs (4-5) who are no longer going to be shown or bred that a breeder will place in a home without requiring any payment at all, or for a very minimal fee.

Liking it wasn't enough. Fabulous post all around, but I especially agree with the bolded paragraph. And I say that as someone who has spent a ton of time working with rescues.

• Like 1

I have always heard that mutts are healthier than purebreds. My household is totally biased, because my 3 mutts are rescues that suffer from arthritis (broken leg), valley fever, anxiety, skin issues, and behavior issues - much of which can be attributed to their tougher early years. (I'm a sucker for the "tough" to adopt dogs.) And, my two purebreds (Labrador & Mini American Shepherd) have zero health problems to date, and both have a great temperament to do 4-H with my kids. So, my current position is that I am hesitant about rescue dogs and suggesting to people (especially non-dog people) to just go rescue a dog. But I get the whole breeder issue, also. I just suggest to people to really do their homework and see what is in their area that will fit best with their lifestyle.

It will be interesting to watch as my dogs get older, as this is something I often think about and wonder.

I just typed this huge, long post and then deleted it because it was too rambly.

We have had a lot of both. I haven't found the purebred dogs we have owned to have any more health issues than the mixed breeds or mutts. We have rescued our fair share of dogs over the years. If I wanted a dog at this point, for me, I'd get a purebred dog (I'd likely try to rescue within the breed though). I would do that because at this point in my life, I have specific ideas of what I want in a dog, and I would not likely find that through a local shelter or rescue.

• Like 1

I've had both and the dog with the worst health problem was one we adopted. He was my heart dog though and I miss him still. We currently have purebreds and we are seriously involved with breeding. Dd's English Setter is finishing her health clearances in January, and if all goes well, she will be bred this spring. Issues in breeding English Setters are hypothyroidism, deafness, and elbow and hip dysplasia She will have her thyroid, hips and elbows tested and the stud we use will also have passed these tests. She was tested for deafness as a puppy. Both of my Dc show dogs for many local breeders, so we are well connected with reputable breeders in our area. They put a lot of time and effort into breeding and do everything they can to ensure healthy puppies. None of them make money on their breedings and they are not having litters every single year. None of them are licensed by the state--that is for puppy mills. A few we know have kennels that provide boarding for pets and their kennels are licensed.

I see the issue of rescue/purebed quite differently than most. I want to see preservation of the diverse offerings of the many many breeds which each have specific characteristics and purposes. There is a reason some dogs make better therapy dogs, service dogs, farm dogs, police dogs, working dogs. There is a reason that Seeing eye uses specific breeds. I would hate to see the loss of the distinct characteristics of breeds. There are mixed breeds who do well as therapy dogs or service dogs, but often that is b/c they have inherited specific traits from their breeds of origin.

I think of it this way: there is a movement in gardening/farming towards the preservation of heirloom plants. Plants that have not been genetically modified. There are people who don't want to lose those plants forever. Responsible breeders are doing their best to preserve the unique qualities of purebred dogs so that we will not lose the uniqueness of the particular breed they are breeding. We are carefully considering which dog to use for our litter of English Setters and this will be our first time breeding. It is Dd's dog (actually she is a bitch, but not everyone is used to using that term, lol) who we are breeding. We are breeding her b/c she is an outstanding example of an English Setter. She is sweet and loving, but also an up and doing dog. She's got a little bit of attitude that just makes people look when she walks by, yet she is also willing to please. She has been successful in showing, in obedience, and in agility. We have not tried hunt tests or barn dog yet, but that is in her future. We are looking for a stud dog that will compensate for some of her deficiencies (she is a little light on bone, and her head is a little narrow).

And later today Dd and I are heading to a friend/breeder's house to help socialize puppies. We will also play with their mom who we have known for years. Their dad lives in California and we know him too, though not as well. It is a beautiful thing to know the litter was carefully planned and lovingly cared for. I have helped this breeder with a very difficult litter of 11 when the mother could not care for her puppies. We fed every couple of hours by hand and recruited a small army of 10 people to rotate feeding so no one would get exhausted. After about 4 days, thankfully another breeder brought a surrogate mom to feed the puppies. He had begun to wean her puppies and she had plenty of milk to feed the struggling litter. At his own expense he made the trip and offered to help. My friend almost lost the mother and spent a small fortune saving her and her puppies. These are some dedicated breeders who love their dogs.

There is nothing wrong with rescuing a dog. We have done it several times. But there is also nothing wrong with choosing to buy from a responsible breeder who is doing his/her best to maintain the characteristics of their chosen breed--but make sure you know what that means. It does not mean licensing by the state. There are many websites that will tell you what to look for in a responsible breeder.

The breeding of dogs is becoming quite a political issue. Those who do not understand the meaning of 'responsible' breeder and do not understand the time and effort that goes into breeding think licensing would be a good idea, but in reality, licensing and government regulations would make it very difficult for truly responsible breeders to continue breeding. In many states there are bills on the table that would force most responsible breeders to stop breeding. They would not be able to afford it. If the regulations are passed puppy mills will be the only breeders left. It is quite a complicated issue if you do the research and there are no easy answers. My Ds has been involved in our state Federation of Dog Clubs and he has lobbied in our state capitol to revise these bills and make them more friendly for responsible breeders. It's a difficult battle and he has found that there are people and powerful lobbying interests who would like to see an end to all purebreds. If they had their way they would make regulations that would allow no purebred breeding at all. I do not want to see that happen.

So those are my two cents about what many do not realize is becoming a hot button issue. I posted b/c I see some misunderstanding within several of the posts here, not b/c I want the OP to buy a purebred dog. As in all choices we make, it is best to be informed and make a well researched careful decision.

One last thing--as far as the cost of purebreds goes--there are sometimes older dogs (4-5) who are no longer going to be shown or bred that a breeder will place in a home without requiring any payment at all, or for a very minimal fee.

This post is fantastic!

Mutt or pure-bred? Whichever one we fell in love with at the animal shelter. We get our dogs from the pound and will never go anywhere else. (Btw, I've known friends who've gotten pure-breeds from there, too).

It is possible to get a purebred from the pound, but purebred rescue groups try to work with shelters and will often foster any purebreds so that the shelter can offer the spot to another dog. Breeders really make an effort to help out with rescue within their own breed and will often help other purebreds as well.

• Like 1