Menu

BUNK BEDS - Ikea or BJs?

Noreen Claire

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which bunk bed would you choose?

• Ikea MYDAL
    • BJs bunk bed

I'm buying another set of bunk beds tomorrow. If you had to choose, would you go with the Ikea MYDAL, $169, (here) or the BJs bunk bed, $189 w/coupon (here).

Both are made of pine. The BJs bed can be separated into two twin beds (we don't have room for that) and has a drawer underneath (I don't need). We currently have two boys in an Ikea Kura bed, and have been happy with it. I don't have any real style preference - they both look nice to me.

What say you?

Edited by Noreen Claire

I think I'd go with the BJ's bed because it comes with the trundle drawer - such a space-saver!

ETA: oops, just saw you said you don't need the drawer...

If I really had no use for the drawer I might go with the Ikea bed instead - I like the minimalist look and I feel like it seems the Ikea bed might take up less room from the photos, though who knows how accurate that actually would be. 

Edited by chocolatechip
  • Like 1

I put slats and a mattress under the Kura and called it a bunk bed. Seems to work just fine.

Otherwise, I'd be inclined to go with BJ's, because I'm having a hard time imagining that the drawer wouldn't be useful (I'd love to have that drawer, but an actual bunk bed won't fit under the sloping roof), and if you move you could do two twin beds. But, since you don't think either of those features would be useful, I'd look around the house to see which fit my decorating style better. And if it really didn't matter, the IKEA one is $20 cheaper, so IKEA it would be if I really didn't care one way or the other.

I'd go with the BJ's if I was short on space, I like the drawer (extra blankets and pillows, shoes, coats, hats) and also for the versatility if you move.  We had a set that separated and I was very happy I didn't have to go out and buy another bed when we moved to a bigger house. Personally I like the style of the IKEA but function is more important to me.

• Like 1

We had the IKEA ones - very sturdy, held up great. No regrets.

But the fact that it's unfinished - it holds onto the oils from grubby hands and it does show dirt.

I'd go with the BJs for that reason, plus the versatility of two beds if you move. The trundle will come in handy at some point for storage or throw a futon in it for sleepovers. I love DS's trundle, even though we no longer technically need it.

If I really had no use for the drawer I might go with the Ikea bed instead - I like the minimalist look ...

Me, too!

I put slats and a mattress under the Kura and called it a bunk bed. Seems to work just fine.

We did this with the Kura, and currently have DS7 and DS4 in that one. We are going to move DS7 into the new bed, DS4 & DS2 can be in the Kura, and DS.baby can have a bottom bunk to himself eventually...

Is the coupon online?  We don't have a BJs membership at the moment, but if the beds are a good price it might be worth looking into.

The coupon came in the monthly mailer; it's good until the end of January. They often have an extra book at the service desk if you ask nicely!

We own the Mydal ones. We have been happy with them but the unstained wood shows some grime from use. 

Thanks for the info!

Even if you don't need the drawer, it would keep stuff from being shoved under the bed. 

I'm actually afraid that the older boys would try to shove the 2yr old into the drawer... Ugh.

We had Ikea ones that were surprisingly solid and lasted for years ( we moved and son outgrew)

That's great to know, thanks!

• Like 1