Menu

Meal ideas that don't require a functioning kitchen?

ksr5377

We're in what I hope is the middle of the renovation that just won't end.  We now have a working fridge, so I can do things like lunchmeat and yogurt  and cheese etc.  We don't have counters, a sink or dishwasher or a range.  Oh, and currently no microwave, but I need to buy one and can do that soon.  I do have a crock pot.  I can use the table for prep, but with only the bathroom sink to wash in I would prefer there to not be much prep.  I can go to my MIL's to do major prep.  I was thinking of prepping several crockpot freezer meals there.  We don't usually buy much that's processed but at this point I'm beginning to not care.  I am so tired of eating out or having to leave our house and go to the in-laws to eat (although I am also very grateful that's an option)!  We still have so much unpacking and official moving in to do here yet, constantly leaving for meals is breaking up my time in a terrible way.  

I second the electric burner. We rented a house once with no plumbing at all in the kitchen, but it had two burners, a fridge, and a couple of tables. I could cook anything in that kitchen, but having to cook everything in the crockpot would have gotten old really fast. They're just not as flexible as a stove top. I'd wash the dishes twice a day with water I carried in a bucket. That was a lot easier than trying to wash the dishes in the tiny sink in the bathroom in a completely separate building. We had almost no dishes or utensils in that kitchen so there never was much to wash.

• Like 2

For washing dishes, what about setting it up like wedo when we go camping? Two plastic dishpans set up on a table with tray next to them witha dish drainer on it. You have hot water from the tap so fill a pitcher and then the first tub has soap and water for washing dishes and the second tub has hot water in it to rinse.

It would probably be annoying long term, but it sure beats trying to wash dishes in the bathroom sink.

• Like 3

High sided electric skillet! You can do tons with it. Pancakes, French toast, stir fry, soups, pan fry (chicken, burgers), chili, rice, pasta, etc.... They're totally worth the $30.

This! Adding to list: we do grilled cheese, breakfast potatoes, all of the rice and pasta packets (add sausage to them and you have a relatively decent meal). Our electric skillet gets used almost daily. 

I agree, if I had no kitchen, the electric skillet with lid would be where it's at. It's what I always take camping because it's so easy to make anything in. I can treat it like a pan or skillet, or even like an oven with a little creativity. Grilled cheese, quesadillas, any breakfast food, tacos...

We have a small portable burner like this one that we bring out now and then:

https://www.amazon.com/IMUSA-GAU-80305-Electric-Single-Burner/dp/B005T0SN0K/ref=pd_lpo_79_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=53WBPW0C3KD1XXFCPKGK

A simple, minimal prep slow cooker dinner is bbq chicken over rice:

Place up to 3.5 pounds of chicken breasts into a slow cooker, along with one bottle bbq sauce, one cup Coke, and one sliced lemon.  Cook on high heat to get it started, and then on low heat for the rest of the day.  Break the chicken breasts into quarters, and serve over rice (which you can cook on the electric burner!)

We're in what I hope is the middle of the renovation that just won't end.  We now have a working fridge, so I can do things like lunchmeat and yogurt  and cheese etc.  We don't have counters, a sink or dishwasher or a range.  Oh, and currently no microwave, but I need to buy one and can do that soon.  I do have a crock pot.  I can use the table for prep, but with only the bathroom sink to wash in I would prefer there to not be much prep.  I can go to my MIL's to do major prep.  I was thinking of prepping several crockpot freezer meals there.  We don't usually buy much that's processed but at this point I'm beginning to not care.  I am so tired of eating out or having to leave our house and go to the in-laws to eat (although I am also very grateful that's an option)!  We still have so much unpacking and official moving in to do here yet, constantly leaving for meals is breaking up my time in a terrible way.  

We've been renovating for a year.  If you haven't, switch to all disposable plates/cups etc.  I got an Instapot just before we started and it has been a lifesaver.  You can saute in it like a regular pot, so I can cook many of our regular meals in there.  Last night I made chicken tikka masala in it.  I found cooking 2-3 times a week in the Instapot then eating leftovers worked.  I used paper plates for cutting boards so I could just toss it when done. I made pulled pork, carnitas, beef stew, chicken noodle soup,  potato soup, pot roast, sloppy joes a lot lately.  I keep bagged salads, baby carrots, cucumbers etc for sides dishes. 

• Like 1

Some ideas from our camping trips:

A Rival hot pot is inexpensive and heats water very quickly. I use it for tea, whenever hot water is needed, and to heat water for washing dishes. In a pinch I've even done noodles in there, but I don't cook anything flavorful in the hot pot.

A toaster oven is great for warming up food, some cooking and baking. To minimize washing up you can line the pans with foil. Things like baking small muffins from mixes, reheating pizza (or making homemade), heating up premade frozen meals, etc. work well in here.

I prefer my Nesco 6 quart roaster to a crockpot for anything beyond slow cooking and usually take it instead of my crockpot. It's more flexible because of the variable temperature control and higher heats I can cook meat in a fraction of a the time that it would take in a slow cooker, and I think the texture comes out better than in the crockpot. It has a nonstick insert so clean up is much easier too. 

http://www.nesco.com/products/Roaster-Ovens/6-Quart-Roaster-Oven/

I don't always take all of the above, but I always take the hot pot and an electric skillet. You can be creative here--grilled cheese, pancakes, corn on the cob, fried potatoes, bacon, frying chicken in olive oil for salads, garlic bread, etc. In a pinch I've even warmed up lasagna in mine. It comes out lasagna scramble, but it's still edible. 

Here's a crockpot chicken with black beans and corn recipe my family likes. It's a very flexible recipe that doesn't require any measuring. I've made it in my crockpot, Nesco and oven and it turns out equally well--just adjust cooking times. 

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-with-black-beans-cream-cheese-89204