Menu

Alamo Theater: Under 17 only if accompanied by a parent or guardian?

RegGuheert

We were considering dropping a few of our children (including DD24) off at Alamo to see Rogue One, but the ticket website says the following:

Age Policy: 17 and up; Children 5 and up will be allowed only with a parent or guardian. No children under the age of 5 will be allowed.

I suppose this policy is in place to help them enforce their "quiet theater" policies, but do they REALLY mean a LEGAL guardian.  If not, why does the policy not simply read "...allowed only with an adult."?  After all, don't some people take other people's children to Alamo?

I have no issue with the policy either way, but I'm just wondering if I'm reading it correctly:  Do we REALLY need to have one of us go in order for DD24 to see the movie with her siblings?

• Like 2

In our area, the policy was strictly enforced because teens would show up with an 18 or 19 year old; someone legally an adult, but not really an adult.  Several theaters had multiple problems with teen crime and vandalism as well as general teen nonsense.  As for the younger than 5, that part surprises me but it would make for a much quieter experience.   I'm not sure if the policy is being adhered to now here. My teen daughters haven't been to a movie theater in a long time; I just realized that!

IME Alamo managers have great latitude in enforcing and applying the policy.  Some is to protect themselves of someone underage entering an R rated movie.  We have never had trouble taking other children.  If they walk in looking mature, responsible, and in control, I would suspect there will not be an issue

• Like 3

I suspect there will only be a problem if kids are acting up - then the theater has a policy they can fall back on to handle it.  If everyone (over age 5) is mature and someone is there who is obviously an adult, I doubt anyone will question lineage.  Guardian can be vague since it doesn't say "legal guardian."

• Like 2

We were considering dropping a few of our children (including DD24) off at Alamo to see Rogue One, but the ticket website says the following:

I suppose this policy is in place to help them enforce their "quiet theater" policies, but do they REALLY mean a LEGAL guardian.  If not, why does the policy not simply read "...allowed only with an adult."?  After all, don't some people take other people's children to Alamo?

I have no issue with the policy either way, but I'm just wondering if I'm reading it correctly:  Do we REALLY need to have one of us go in order for DD24 to see the movie with her siblings?

They don't want a situation where an 18 year old (or younger with fake ID) brings in a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds.  They aren't going to make a fuss if Grandma brings the grandkids or an adult brings his child and his child's friends.

My guess is that if your children are obviously siblings, and of varied ages, and they behave appropriately in line and don't draw attention to each other, they won't bat an eye.  It might be worth walking them up to the ticket counter together.

• Like 2