Menu

Please help me streamline, too much reading/writing?

estelleblue

I'm looking at my plans for 2017-2018. I will have a 5th grader and a 7th grader. I am trying to figure out their literature and writing. So far, I have planned:

Readers from Sonlight Core F (reading)

Mosdos reading on their level (reading and writing)

IEW Narnia vol. 1 (reading and writing)

All of these programs require reading, and two of them require writing. 

They will both also have reading and writing in science for sure. 

Is this too much writing and reading? How can I streamline? 

Thanks!

I don't know what all is involved in Mosdos, so I can't speak to that. If it's mostly grammar, you're probably fine. If it's more writing instruction, you're probably duplicating with the IEW book.

What type of writing are you talking about with science? If it's simple written narrations, you should be fine. But if it's more extensive report writing then it's possible it might be too much for the 5th grader ... depends on the kid.

For what it's worth, this is what we do:

In 5th I usually have my kids finishing an IEW theme book (writing) and finishing FLL 4 (grammar). I also have them reading quite a bit to go along with history, similar to your Sonlight Core, with a short written summary of each book. They do a written narration for history every week. They do some science reading every week but very little written output at that age. In 7th they have to step it up a notch. They do IEW SWI-B and part of SICC-B, as well as Season 2 of Analytical Grammar. They still do some readers that go along with history, but I add in an IEW style story sequence chart for every book and also 2 literature guides. They also have written summaries of their history textbook reading. For science they do periodic lab reports.

Hope that helps and you get some more responses!

• Like 1

I'm looking at my plans for 2017-2018. I will have a 5th grader and a 7th grader. I am trying to figure out their literature and writing. So far, I have planned:

Readers from Sonlight Core F (reading)

Mosdos reading on their level (reading and writing)

IEW Narnia vol. 1 (reading and writing)

All of these programs require reading, and two of them require writing. 

They will both also have reading and writing in science for sure. 

Is this too much writing and reading? How can I streamline? 

Thanks!

Are both children doing all of those? Because that's a boatload of literature and composition. I'd pick one. I would think the Narnia one would be too difficult for your younger dc; in fact, I would be surprised (and impressed) if your older dc could do it. At any rate, pick one.

• Like 1

I don't know what all is involved in Mosdos, so I can't speak to that. If it's mostly grammar, you're probably fine. If it's more writing instruction, you're probably duplicating with the IEW book.

What type of writing are you talking about with science? If it's simple written narrations, you should be fine. But if it's more extensive report writing then it's possible it might be too much for the 5th grader ... depends on the kid.

For what it's worth, this is what we do:

In 5th I usually have my kids finishing an IEW theme book (writing) and finishing FLL 4 (grammar). I also have them reading quite a bit to go along with history, similar to your Sonlight Core, with a short written summary of each book. They do a written narration for history every week. They do some science reading every week but very little written output at that age. In 7th they have to step it up a notch. They do IEW SWI-B and part of SICC-B, as well as Season 2 of Analytical Grammar. They still do some readers that go along with history, but I add in an IEW style story sequence chart for every book and also 2 literature guides. They also have written summaries of their history textbook reading. For science they do periodic lab reports.

Hope that helps and you get some more responses!

My understanding of Mosdos is that it is literary analysis with some writing involved. 

I like hearing what you have your kids do, that's helpful. I am always over-scheduling. 

• Like 1

Are both children doing all of those? Because that's a boatload of literature and composition. I'd pick one. I would think the Narnia one would be too difficult for your younger dc; in fact, I would be surprised (and impressed) if your older dc could do it. At any rate, pick one.

Yes, I was going to have both children doing that. Literature and Comp are my favorite! So do tend to go overboard in those subjects especially. Have you used the Narnia study from IEW? It says it's for grades 6-8 that's why I thought my 7th grader would be able to do it. I'll have to look more closely at the samples.  

My understanding of Mosdos is that it is literary analysis with some writing involved.

I like hearing what you have your kids do, that's helpful. I am always over-scheduling.

Then I would definitely just pick 1 or the other, Mosdos or IEW.

Yes, I was going to have both children doing that. Literature and Comp are my favorite! So do tend to go overboard in those subjects especially. Have you used the Narnia study from IEW? It says it's for grades 6-8 that's why I thought my 7th grader would be able to do it. I'll have to look more closely at the samples.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

No, I haven't used it. I was just looking at the samples. I thought it was pretty heavy for a 12yo, but maybe your 12yo has had enough previous experience that it would be fine. :-)

But if you use that, then use just that. :-)