Menu

PSA: 6 year old girl buys toys on Amazon with moms thumb print

Lanny

I have a friend whose dd has done this multiple times and the friend lets her keep the stuff. I understand my friend's child has a super stressful life (dad is always dragging mom into court and dad is a jerk to his kids, also, dad's new wife is trying to convince the girl she's crazy.) My friend changes her passwords but eventually she gives in when she's stressed out too. It's too easy to buy things online. 

• Like 3

This is idiotic. No way would I allow the child to obtain the toys!

One thing I have done a hundred million times is tell my kids they are not permitted to buy anything in a game or on-line without discussing it with me first. (Obviously, this is no longer true with my oldest kids, but I mean when they were younger.) the first time this possibility came up was when DD played Neopets and you could spend IRL money to get special items; I told her NO, NEVER do this. DS12 now has an ipod and I am telling him over and over, like a skipping record, "Do NOT download any game or buy anything without discussing it with me first!"

This story is dumb. These parents are dumb. They are sending the wrong message to their dd. Those toys would absolutely, without question, go back, even if it was two days till Christmas and I had bought nothing yet (which would never happen, but just IF). They have done her no favors, as you can see by her triumphant little smile when the newscaster asks if she understood she was buying toys. SHE UNDERSTOOD! And now she has learned that if you're clever enough to hack Amazon while mom sleeps, you can get what you like with one click.

People are dumb sometimes.

• Like 26

I don't care how well I could afford the toys, that is stealing. It's using someone else's money to buy something without their permission. It's one thing to have a sense of humor about it, but they would be returned or donated, or at the VERY least, my child would be doing a ton of chores to earn each and every one so they could learn the connection between work and spending money.

• Like 6

I just read about a kid who bought Pokémon junk with his mom's thumbprint (obtained while she was sleeping) and I just keep thinking that there is no way I wouldn't wake up. I need somebody to try this while I'm sleeping to see how hard it is.

But I'm with the rest of you: ain't no way we keeping those items purchased without permission.

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 3

That is a good point. How many caregivers buy things online with money from seniors? I know my dh's grandmother had several caregivers who used her terribly, and she was not wealthy, but she had a bad fall and was terrified of being alone. She gave her caregivers everything they admired in her house. DH's mom was quite upset that all her mother had left was absolute junk at the time of her death. How different would it be to get elderly people to "order" things?

• Like 1

DS has done that before ... kind of.  I thought he was looking at pictures on my phone at a restaurant but he actually was on amazon.com looking at Thomas the Tank engine trains.  He must have hit the "order with one click" button because a mystery train showed up at our house.  He's three though and he didn't know what he was doing.  We let him keep it. 

A friend's 2 yo bought a number of odd Groupons by accident playing with the mom's phone. They kept some of them because they thought it was funny.

I don't think I'd punish the kid because of her age - I mean, she's just 6 and I don't expect 6 yos to have much of a moral compass yet - but I wouldn't keep the toys either. The lesson is just so wrong.

• Like 3

I get an email when anything is ordered on my Amazon account. Doesn't everyone??

Yeah, not only that but another when it ships and notifications on the home screen of my iPhone. No way something could just show up. My daughter at college uses our account with her debit card and I knew everything she ordered and when it was delivered.

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 2

Mom was only allowed to return 4 of the items-

But it shows just how easy it is to foil security features, adds Mike Wehner. "I mean, really, if a six-year-old can beat it, just how secure is it?" (Returning too much stuff can get you banned on Amazon.)

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/12/28/6-year-old-swipes-napping-moms-thumbprint-to-shop-online.html

http://www.newser.com/story/222323/banned-from-amazon-for-returning-37-things.html

Edited by Elfknitter.#

You all use your real email for Amazon? I have a 'receipts' account.....I dont give my personal account out to businesses.

I have a receipt account. But it is Still linked to my phone. And I get notifications when it receives emails. Amazons emails say something like "your Amazon order was received" you see that when the notification comes up . That would be enough for me to check the account.

• Like 1

A friend's 2 yo bought a number of odd Groupons by accident playing with the mom's phone. They kept some of them because they thought it was funny.

I don't think I'd punish the kid because of her age - I mean, she's just 6 and I don't expect 6 yos to have much of a moral compass yet - but I wouldn't keep the toys either. The lesson is just so wrong.

Right. I wouldn't punish her; I'm not big on punishments anyhow. But I wouldn't let the toys stay, because that is a reward. And I also wouldn't go on TV and laugh about it in front of the universe. That is also a reward.

Also - and this probably reveals my age - but I'm not even a big fan of letting kids play with my phone as stop-gap entertainment. My kids had their own playthings, such as Gameboys and DSes, at that age; my phone (and later, iPad) was never a toy for them. But again, I'm sure it's different for younger moms. I noticed my younger sister uses her phone as entertainment for her toddler.

• Like 2

I'm beginning to think it would be wise to simply keep the password autofill turned off. It doesn't really do ME any good to be able to buy too easily at Amazon, either, nevermind kids hacking it while I sleep. It's taken me this whole year to break my addiction to hasty Amazon buying, especially Kindle downloads. I habitually put things on my wish lists, now, to curb impulse buying. Half the time (actually, most of the time) I find the same or another book at my local library for free, or if it's a product, I usually forget about it after it rots on my wish list a while.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think it would be wise to simply keep the password autofill turned off. It doesn't really do ME any good to be able to buy too easily at Amazon, either, nevermind kids hacking it while I sleep. It's taken me this whole year to break my addiction to hasty Amazon buying, especially Kindle downloads. I habitually put things on my wish lists, now, to curb impulse buying. Half the time (actually, most of the time) I find the same or another book at my local library for free, or if it's a product, I usually forget about it after it rots on my wish list a while.

I don't have passwords cookied in general.  Instead, I use a centralised password system (Dashlane) which has a difficult password linked to a myriad difficult passwords.

I do have my Amazon password cookied on my Kindle Paperwhite for book buying on the go.

• Like 1