Menu

Devotions/Bible Study/Bible reading for 2017.....what are you doing?

Ottakee

This year I have done the Daily Bible which is 365 days of reading the entire text of the Bible in Chronological order.  I am a few days behind due to a vacation but hope to finish the first few days of Jan (or earlier if I double up).  I did the daily Bible reading and then did a very simple journal where I wrote down the reference of the scripture passage I read and then I wrote out one verse from that passage that really spoke to me and highlighted it in the Bible.

Now I need to decide what I am going to do for 2017.  I am looking for something that is 5-7 days a week, can be done alone (no group studies), takes 10-15 minutes a day, and focuses on the scriptures themselves.  Some commentary is fine/good, but I don't want something that is 2 pages of someone's thoughts on a single verse a day type thing.  I am not a Jesus Calling or Beth Moore type person (just not my style although I have good friends that love those).

I have done Explorer's Bible study before and enjoyed them.  http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/category/Adult  Ones like these.  I might do one of these again but am also open to other ideas.

What are you doing?

Slache started a social group for encouraging one another on this front if anyone is interested. :) Look up Bible Accountability group to join. It's an open group I think.

Edited because spellcheck doesn't care for the name Slache.

Edited by texasmom33

I'm still trying to decide. In the social group (shameless plug :) ) I mentioned a book that I'm considering going through this year. I've had it for awhile but have never gone through it, The Women's Devotional Guide to the Bible by Jean Syswerda. https://www.christianbook.com/womens-devotional-bible-studying-praying-responding/jean-syswerda/9780849929779/pd/849929?event=AAI

It says Devotional in the title, but it's meatier than most devotionals with a good amount of Bible reading and study. I encourage you to take a look at the samples on CBD and Amazon to see if it might work for you.

I'm from the low church, evangelical wing of Christianity and have no liturgical background, but The Book of Common Prayer (there are Anglican, Presbyterian and Roman Catholic versions if I understand it correctly) has been very helpful to me this year even though I don't attend a liturgical type church. I originally bought it so I could know what people like C. S. Lewis were talking about when they mention it, and I keep using it because it's so handy for personal Bible study. (I have the Presbyterian version from 1914 and I use the online modern version too.)  I focus on the Scripture readings schedule but I would add that the prayer section is absolutely worth a read at least once. There are also online versions and there's an AP if you want the to see the day's scheduled readings.  Handy.

Every day there are short readings from these categories:  Old Testament, Psalms, a Gospel, and another New Testament book.  If you follow the schedule you get through the Bible in a couple of years.  It's short enough that you can catch up if you like once or twice a week with a long read, but thorough enough that you can skip days here and there and still be spiritually well fed.

Well done, liturgical type churches, well done. You've been a blessing to me.

• Like 2

I'm beginning a deep OT study, attempting to take scripture in the context of history and Jewish culture. I'm hoping for one chapter a day. I'm gathering resources now.

Slache started a social group for encouraging one another on this front if anyone is interested. :) Look up Bible Accountability group to join. It's an open group I think.

Edited because spellcheck doesn't care for the name Slache.

Apache?

Apache?

Nope. "Slav he" was the first, because that makes sense on planet Apple? Then it changed it another time or two to Spache and other non sensical words. You are now a word in my dictionary so hopefully it's done with its misspellings. :)