Menu

List your ds/dd major here... and when did they decide?

mirabillis

My 14 y.o. who is DE at the local community college is interested in the Linguistics with a psychology concentration major at UCLA so she's considering doing her associate's in psychology (the CC doesn't offer an associate's in linguistics). We'll see if the psych class she's taking this semester increases or decreases her interest.

She had previously been interested in speech & language pathology but then when I went back to school in Communicative Disorders she lost interest. Not sure if it's because she saw what I was studying and realized it wasn't what actually interested her or if it's an early adolescence "I want to be nothing like my mom" independence thing. If she does wind up doing the Linguistics + psychology major it would be fairly easy for her to go to grad school in SLP (assuming good grades & test scores) since she'd have taken a lot of the pre-reqs.

• Like 1

My dd21 is a senior majoring in Plant Sciences

My dd20 is a junior with a double major in Biochemistry and Molecular & Cellular Biology

Neither one had any idea what they wanted to do when they started, but both decided by the end of their sophomore years.

• Like 1

DS - Writing (chosen before going to college) 

Multimedia Production (added after taking a video production class second semester freshman year)

Minor: Philosophy (added after taking and loving philosophy classes both semesters his freshman year)

DD - Nursing (chosen before going to college)

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 1

#1 - Decided on chemical engineering during her senior year of high school, went off to university as ChemE, switched to computer science during her second year. 

#2 - Planned on majoring in business all through high school. Took physics her senior year, loved it and decided on mechanical engineering that spring.

DD knew she liked math and science.  Was considering a healthcare career but not too excited about it.  She mentored some kids younger than her on a science team, did a little mini-class for them... she loved it!  And everyone said how enthusiastic she was, what a good job she did.  Started thinking maybe teacher / maybe healthcare.  She volunteered several times at healthcare places.  It was "pretty fun".  She volunteered at the local high school.... she was bouncing!  Okay, teaching it is. This happened through her 11th grade year.

Math or Science?  She *just* decided science when we had to start filling it out for college apps.  She really likes math, but thought there would be more variety and more room to share about current events etc with science. 

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2

DS #1 entered college as a possible physics or engineering major-graduated with a major in math, minor in German.  Wishes he had completed minor, or a second major, in computer science!

DD just finished freshman year as a chemical engineer, which was first talked of junior year in HS and she seems committed now.

DS age 15, hs sophomore, not clear.  Like finance, drama, computer science, biology.  We'll see.

• Like 1

Oldest DS knew after PAH Macroecon class that he wanted to major in economics. He added a double major in math to increase the odds of getting a job after school. Since then, he was admitted to an invitation only Finace masters degree, so he dropped the math major to complete everything in five years.

Oldest Dd wanted to graduate early and transfer into Special Ed.through a specific program of guaranteed acceptance. She changed her mind at the CC and decided on Occupational Therapy. She has had a tough time deciding what undergrad degree to get as she needs to graduate in 3 years. She applied as a transfer student in Pyschology, so that is the fist major she is hoping to have. She has also mentioned HR, or educational counseling degrees. She just turned 18,so it wouldn't surprise me if she wanted to try a few different majors.

Dd#1 (this is her 4th semester in college): Double major in "Medicine Health and Society" and Psychology, with a minor in Religious Studies. She started with the idea of a minor in Spanish and a major in Biology, but she changed her mind before having to declare a major this year. Her goal is to apply to the fast track program at her university to become a Nurse Practitioner (6 years total from Freshman year to full fledged Nurse Practitioner--She thinks with an emphasis in Psychology right now).

Dd#2: Sophomore in high school. Has no clue. She likes math and science and hates writing.

Ds: 8th grader. Wants to be an Architect like his dad.

Edited by StillStanding

DS #1 He is a senior and his mind is set for legal field. For the undergraduate, he is planning on majoring Econ and possibly Physic minor. I think he started dreaming about being a judge or lawyer when he joined mock trial team in 9th grade. 

DS #2 Want to be a cardiac surgeon. He got his calling when he received his first dissection kit in the mail in 7th grade.  :laugh:  He loves biology and has been volunteering at the local hospital. 

DD #1 Hoping to be in a business woman, she says. only 12-year-old. Who knows?

DS # 3 Marine biologist.  Future Jacque cousteau. Actually he got a sort of job offer from an aquarium even though he is only 7 :thumbup1:

DS #4 ?

• Like 2

There are so many to choose from, and my young freshman high schooler ds has no idea yet... thought it'd be nice to see what other kids have chosen, maybe give us some ideas. :-)

And did your ds/dd choose this ahead of college or once in college? Just curious...

DD - originally wanted to major in Linguistics (she took Russian for four semesters and Latin for two) but decided that any job requiring Linguistics probably wasn't going to be exactly what she wanted.

Sophomore year she switched to Psych and wanted to follow it up with a Masters in School Psychology, but is now getting married.  The Bachelors will be done, the Masters is waiting.  I think that it is important to think about the JOB you want and then match up the major.

DS - civil engineering - he's known for a long while and a 90 hour internship this last summer really sealed his decision for him.  He will be an incoming freshman.

• Like 1

DD knew she liked math and science.  Was considering a healthcare career but not too excited about it.  She mentored some kids younger than her on a science team, did a little mini-class for them... she loved it!  And everyone said how enthusiastic she was, what a good job she did.  Started thinking maybe teacher / maybe healthcare.  She volunteered several times at healthcare places.  It was "pretty fun".  She volunteered at the local high school.... she was bouncing!  Okay, teaching it is. This happened through her 11th grade year.

Math or Science?  She *just* decided science when we had to start filling it out for college apps.  She really likes math, but thought there would be more variety and more room to share about current events etc with science. 

She's right.  I can share some in math classes, but I can share a TON in science classes.  Rabbit trails can abound there and kids love them.  There's always something new to share (both real and "be careful what you read on the internet" varieties).

• Like 1

College senior: Had no clue about a major. After visiting with an old friend of the family right before her junior of high school, she decided on a niche major. She will graduate with that major this semester.

College freshman: Knew he wanted to be a vet from childhood; volunteered extensively in this area at many different places, including a vet's office, starting around age 11. Before junior year of high school, he went to vet camp at a school he wanted to attend. Came home no longer wanting to be a vet. Entered college with same niche major, may change to computer science, because it has room for electives, and he is interested in a business minor.

I think that it is important to think about the JOB you want and then match up the major.

Totally agree.

It can be really hard to do, though! I think that people with a diverse social group (lots of different jobs represented) have an advantage here. I feel like I should apologize to my kids for my anti social ways, lol. 

Ds declared himself as a math major last week. He's been accepted at a few other schools, but unless the one he is still leaving open offers lots of aid (not loans), he will stay here, which means living at home. He seems much less stressed about it all. 

He will add a minor in physics and probably a minor in computer science. 

Ds is still undecided, but he's closer to a decision. This has been his process so far, he's in his third semester of college. He started at our local university with the idea to transfer after two years (in process of applying now). He originally wanted computer or electronic engineering. Has decided that is not the field he wants and his steering toward physics and math with some computer science. Unfortunately our school does not have a physics major or he would just stay here. We were just discussing this last night. If he transfers (there are pros and cons, including decent financial aid needed) he will probably double major in physics and math. If he stays here he will major in math, maybe add a computer science double major, and minor in physics. 

I'm a history major as I had originally wanted to explore archaeology. I've decided against that and digging  (no pun intended) into the past with primary sources is fun is a different way. I wanted a major where I could research and write. 

• Like 2

Diamond: Dance pedagogy and choreography. Decided somewhere around seventh grade, LOL!

SweetChild: Cosmetology school for limited license, Esthetician, then community college for Business, either one-year certificate or associate degree. Business was decided in 9th grade, Esthetician license was decided early in Senior year.

BabyBaby is still deciding... but she's in 10th grade, so she has some time.

College senior - nursing - knew in the 9th grade or so

College freshman - biochemistry and psychology - knew end of sophomore, early junior year but still may change because she is still developing what specifically she wants to do and may adjust emphasis because of it 

7th grader - wants to do something with animals - probably a vet tech. basically knew since birth LOL

Ds #1 knew when he was 11 or 12 that he wanted to work at Disneyland as an Imagineer. Discovered a love and gift for theatrical lighting design in high school, got his B.S. in Show Production (lighting and sound) and has been working at Disney for 3+ years as primarily a lighting guy though he does sound too. 

Ds#2 only knew he wanted to major in science, either physics or chemistry. Discovered geology freshman year, majored in that and minored in math, graduated with honors. He is taking a few years to explore the world before heading to grad school in geology. He is currently teaching English in Japan.

• Like 1

I think they don't always know......

My 19 year old,  who is in the Simulation and Game Design program at the CC, focusing on Animation just told me he no longer likes the game portion of the program and would like to go into Animation for Film instead.  

Alrighty then......there is nothing locally.  

My 17 year old (Junior) really wants to go into Film or Music Editing.  He is nuero-typical and could go away to school without as much of an issue.  There is very little locally for what he wants and what is local is not going to meet his needs.

But either of them could change their minds, I am well aware.

FWIW, my oldest's second job (IT) has absolutely nothing to do with his major in college (Business) - or anything he studied in college.  He loves the job though - and he still got it 100% by networking from someone he met in college... 'cause that person insisted to the company that they needed to hire my guy (he can think... he'll work hard... he learns quickly, etc).  All of it proved true.  We visited his workplace yesterday and there was a list of top IT folks for the week - my guy's name topped the list.  It was 100% performance based (stats), not "your parents are visiting so we'll make you look good" based.   ;)

As a senior back at home, none of us would have guessed he'd be doing what he's doing now - but he loves it.

Sometimes as folks go through life they find things they never really knew existed - and that's ok - at least for us that's ok.  Keep your eyes open for what you like, think, learn the job, and accumulate connections via decent people skills - all of those are sometimes just as or more important than the major chosen.

• Like 3