Menu

I'm an ignorant cook

Night Elf

Cold pot. Bring to a boil, turn off and cover...let them sit for 15 minutes (or until I remember that I left them on the stove! lol)

Same, but I add some baking soda first

Cold pot.   Bring to a boil, turn off and cover...let them sit for 15 minutes (or until I remember that I left them on the stove! lol)

Mine don't cook enough if I turn off the heat, so I turn the heat to the lowest setting the nanosecond the water boils, and let the pot set 15 minutes.

And then of course you take the pan to the sink and run cold water into the pan until all the hot water is gone. :-)

So technically, you are not *boiling* the eggs; you are hard-cooking them. :-)

• Like 1

How do you like your eggs done?

I was hard boiling it. It turned out perfectly, but I looked up the instructions for cooking it and was surprised it said to take it off the heat and cover to cook. I just don't see how the egg can cook like that. I was wondering if anyone boiled it a while like I do.

How do you boil an egg? I put it in a cold pot of water, put it on the stove and set the timer for 23 minutes. It doesn't appear to be overcooked. It tastes good.

From where I sit, "tastes good" = "good cook" 

• Like 5

How do you boil an egg? I put it in a cold pot of water, put it on the stove and set the timer for 23 minutes. It doesn't appear to be overcooked. It tastes good.

This is how I do it to. I've never heard of it any other way and am considered a good cook. Whatever works, I guess. I do put it in cold water when finished, especially with fresh eggs. It helps them peel better.

• Like 2

I don't boil a lot of eggs because I'm not a fan, but I'm pretty sure that's what I do. I look in the Betty Crocker Cookbook every time. Betty has never steered me wrong.

I was hard boiling it. It turned out perfectly, but I looked up the instructions for cooking it and was surprised it said to take it off the heat and cover to cook. I just don't see how the egg can cook like that. I was wondering if anyone boiled it a while like I do.

Wy wouldn't it cook?  The water is still very hot.

• Like 1

This is how I do it to. I've never heard of it any other way and am considered a good cook. Whatever works, I guess. I do put it in cold water when finished, especially with fresh eggs. It helps them peel better.

This is how my grandmother taught me to make boiled eggs. She also mentioned that running cold water over the egg was to stop it from continuing to cook inside the shell.

• Like 1

I think turning the heat off just keeps them from knocking into each other in the boiling water and breaking the shells. They'll cook about the same whether the heat is on or off during that time (unless your kitchen is exceptionally cold).

And starting the timer at 23 minutes when the water is cold is probably about equivalent to starting the timer at 15 when it comes to a boil.  (I set the timer for 12 minutes for hard-cooked and they come out great but most people do seem to do 15.)

In other words, I think everyone is mostly in agreement here. LOL

It works well for me, but the way you did it is fine.  Sometimes when you overcook it it turns a bit green around the yolk, but that doesn't change the taste so it's no big deal.

• Like 1

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to cook. The only questions you need to ask are: Will this set the house on fire? Will this give me food poisoning? Will this taste good?

If the answers to those three questions are satisfactory, then hurrah, you are cooking in the "right" way. Some people like to use special methods in order to be more efficient or because they think the results taste better, but those ways aren't more right than the other ways.

• Like 5