Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW52 - 2016 it's a wrap!

Robin M

STACIA!!!!!!! YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the coolest gift ever!!! My very own, custom, 240 square Bingo card!!!!!! Yep, you heard that right, it is 5 x 48 squares! And some of the coolest, funniest categories I've ever seen. Let's see, some of my favorites are: Travel Gone Wrong, Has a Cemetery In It, I Would Be Embarrassed To Be Seen Reading This on the Subway, People Wearing Pantaloons, Book With Chickens on the Cover, Characters Need Saddles in the Book, and the list goes on, and on, and on! I hear mumto2, Mom-ninja, and Jane in NC helped come up with some of the categories. Thank you all so much!

Seriously, thanks you guys. I don't think I've ever gotten a funnier and more creative gift. I posted it on the wall right beside my computer and I will have a lot of fun filling it in. I don't promise to fill the whole thing in one year, but I will definitely make a dent in it!

:001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :biggrinjester:

Awesome! So glad it's a hit! :D

I have to post a pic because I took one before I mailed it out. Rose has OVER three & a half FEET of Bingo card!! :lol:

IMG_1558.jpg

Surely, Rose, you can manage at least one full column by the Ides of March!

Ready. Set. Go!

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 27

I have to post a pic because I took one before I mailed it out. Rose has OVER three & a half FEET of Bingo card!! :lol:

IMG_1558.jpg

Surely, Rose, you can manage at least one full row by the Ides of March!

Ready. Set. Go!

Awesome! Good job!

• Like 10

Well, I did a poor job of tracking my books this year (compared to last year -- I did excellent compared to previous years LOL!), so I know there are this many again not on my list but ...

1. Bujold - Penric's Demon ®
  2. Bujold - Penric and the Shaman
  3. Andrews - Clean Sweep ®
  4. Andrews - Sweep in Peace
  5. Aaron  -- Nice Dragons Finish Last
  6. Aaron  -- One Good Dragon Deserves Another
  7. Aaron -- No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished
  8. Sagara -- Cast in Flame ®
  9. Durgan -- Dun Lady's Jess
  10. Chan -- White Tiger
  11. Chan - Red Phoenix  -there were more of these but I dont' have them listed :(
  12. McGuire -- Chaos Cryptography
  13. Hearne - Staked
  14. Andrews - Magic Stars
  15. ? - 20x3
  16. ? - Peak
  17. ? - From Belly Fat to Belly Flat
  18. Lee/Miller - Liaden Universe Constellation 1
  19. Lee/Miller - Liaden Universe Constellation 2
  20. Lee/Miller - Liaden Universe Constellation 3
  21. ? - How to Get Dressed
  22. Fung -- Obesity Code
  23. Willis -- To Say Nothing of the Dog (r)
  24. Chaudhary - the Prime
  25. Talbott -- Metabolic Method
  26. ? - Organize Tomorrow Today
  27. ? - Kelly's bone Broth Diet
  28. ? - Fast Exercise
  29. Sisson - Primal Endurance
  30. Sagara -- Cast in Flame
  31. Starrett -- Ready to Run

+from Goodreads (i.e. read on my Kindle since Kindle added the auto connection to Goodreads)

11 Kelly Armstrong books

5 River of London books 

5 Thea Harrison books

3 Annie Belliet books

2 Gilman Countess books

2 Cecilia Grant books

and a partriiiidge in a pear treeeeee .... or  1 Union Station book 

which at least hits my 52 

Best book:  Being Mortal (although I think that was actually end of last year ... so 2nd best Obesity Code and Ready to Run)

Best series: Rivers of London (although.. this will not be a reread series for me I don't think.. we'll see I guess, as I reread on whim)

Most likely to reread:  Ilona Andrews Sweep books and Bujold's Penric shorts

Throw it against the wall: a bunch of diet books unlisted  :banghead:

• Like 18

IMG_1558.jpg

Surely, Rose, you can manage at least one full row by the Ides of March!

Ready. Set. Go!

Awesome job, Stacia and beautiful Christmas tree too!

• Like 12

Have you read any of Shaun Tan's other work? I have Tales From Outer Suburbia and it's quirky. 

No. I must say that I saw the book I posted about on NPR's list a week or two ago. It didn't even dawn on me to look for other things by him! D'oh.

Spare moment post - The List, 2016

<snip>

76. Trollope, The American Senator

Dang, look at you go, girl!!! Considering the weight & depth of your reading, the fact that you're past #76 makes me :svengo: ! Congrats!

Many, many thanks to Robin for keeping the book thread up and fresh. And thanks to all of you. This group of women has made a qualitative difference in my life. There have been some moments this year that were particularly personally difficult but which I wasn't comfortable talking about publicly; it was so good to escape to book reading and discussion sometimes.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. And :grouphug:  to all my fellow BaWers who had a hard 2016.

I love the category of 'books I'd be embarassed to read on the subway'! Bonus points if you actually do, Rose :)

:lol:  :thumbup1:

2016 turned out to be a stressful year for a variety of reasons which means my goals went out the window and I escaped into comfort reads, sticking with favorite authors.   

:grouphug:

And, thanks again, Robin, for posting this thread. This is an amazing place & an amazing group!

• Like 14

Rose, my sister looked at the categories you listed in your post & suggests some of the following books:

• any Dave Barry book
  • one of Jenny Lawson's books
  • Fifty Shades of Grey (for being too embarrassed to read on the subway) -- and when I was checking on the spelling of whether it was Grey or Gray, I found this gem!
  • The Midnight Examiner

And, no, my sister did not help come up with the original bingo. I just showed her your response & she starting spouting off reading ideas for you. Lol. She says The Midnight Examiner has chickens as a central plot point (though none are on the cover).

You all know my sister reads weird books, but I feel proud to say that I'm the one who introduced her to Jenny Lawson books, as well as The Midnight Examiner. :lol:

• Like 13

STACIA!!!!!!!  YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just got the coolest gift ever!!!  My very own, custom, 240 square Bingo card!!!!!!   Yep, you heard that right, it is 5 x 48 squares! And some of the coolest, funniest categories I've ever seen.  Let's see, some of my favorites are: Travel Gone Wrong, Has a Cemetery In It, I Would Be Embarrassed To Be Seen Reading This on the Subway, People Wearing Pantaloons, Book With Chickens on the Cover, Characters Need Saddles in the Book, and the list goes on, and on, and on!  I hear mumto2, Mom-ninja, and Jane in NC helped come up with some of the categories.  Thank you all so much! 

Seriously, thanks you guys. I don't think I've ever gotten a funnier and more creative gift. I posted it on the wall right beside my computer and I will have a lot of fun filling it in. I don't promise to fill the whole thing in one year, but I will definitely make a dent in it! 

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :biggrinjester:

As far as I am concerned, there is but one choice of chicken book:  P.G. Wodehouse's Love Among the Chickens.

md10166456189.jpg

• Like 22

ETA:  Typical!  I had hesitated posting my list because I knew there were things I had forgotten to jot down.  The second I pressed "post" I realized I had failed to mention a book of essays by Charles d'Ambrosio, Loitering.  What else did I forget??

Given that the two books I am currently reading are rather dense (the sixth volume in Dunnett's House of Niccolo series, To Lie with Lions, and eleventh century poetry of Solomon Ibn Gabirol, Vulture in a Cage), I think it is safe to say that I am done for the year.  Particularly since I continue to enjoy family game nights with The Boy!!

Earlier I mentioned favorites and not so favorite, but I failed to mention two books that I am truly glad that I read this year:  The Voyage of the Beagle and Between the World and Me.  The former helped me understand the breadth and depth of Darwin's knowledge and his ability to see.  The latter, as others have noted, helped draw me into an important national conversation.

Here is the list--in reverse order. 

83) Multiple Choice, Alejandro Zambra, 2014; translated from Spanish by Megan McDowell; unconventional fiction

82) The Whispering Muse, Sjon, 2005; translated from Icelandic by Victoria Cribb; fiction

81) Before Midnight, Rex Stout, 1955 Crime: Audio; fiction, mystery

80) First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde, 2007 (audio); fiction

79) History of the Renaissance World, Susan Wise Bauer, 2013

78) Below Stairs, Margaret Powell, 1968; memoir

77) The Black Tulip, Alexandre Dumas, 1850; annotated Oxford edition; fiction

76) The Tail of the Blue Bird, Nii Parkes, 2009; fiction

75) Butterflies in November, Audur Ava Olafsdottir, 2013; translated from the Icelandic by Brian Fitzgibbon; fiction

74) Hypothermia, Arnaldur Indridason, 2011; translated from the Icelandic by Victoria Cribb

73) Oishinbo:  Vegetables, Tetsu Kariya and Akira Hanasaki, 2011; Japanese manga

72) The Short Reign of Pippin IV, John Steinbeck, 1957 (fiction: satire)

71) Kim, Rudyard Kipling, 1901; Audio

70) The Flame Trees of Thika, Elspeth Huxley, 1959; classic crime

69) The Birds, Tarjei Vesaas, 1957; translated from the Norwegian by Michael Barnes and Torbjorn Stoverud

68) Hamlet, Revenge!, Michael Innes, 1937; classic mystery

67) Season of Migration to the North, Tayeb Salih, 2009; translated from Arabic by Denys Johnson Davies

66) The Legend of the Seventh Virgin, Victoria Hold, 1964; gothic romance

65) No Pretty Pictures:  a Child of War,  Anita Lobel, 1998; memoir

64) The Turkish Gambit, Boris Akunin, 1998, translated from Russian by Ansrew Bromfield; Audio; fiction, espionage

63) Murder on Safari, Elspeth Huxley, 1938 classic mystery

62) Sergio Y, Alexandro Vidal Porto, 2015, translate from Portuguese by Alex Ladd; fiction

61) Angel of Oblivion, Maja Haderlap, 2011, translated from German by Tess Lewis; fiction

60) Orhan's Inheritance, Aline Ohanesian, 2015; fiction

59) After the Armistice Ball by Catriona McPherson, 2005; "cozy" mystery

58) Total Chaos, Jean-Claude Izzo, 1995; translated from the French by Howard Curtis (noir police procedural)

57) The Lure of the Dutchman, Thomas A. Geldermann, 2000; fiction set in the Superstitions of AZ

56) How to Ruin Everything, George Watsky, 2016; Non-fiction, essays

55) The Loved One, Evelyn Waugh, 1948

54) Yalo, Elias Khoury,2008; translated from Arabic by Peter Theroux
53) Theatre, Somerset Maugham, 1937
52) Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio, Amara Lakhous; translated from the Italian by Ann Goldstein
51) Hyperbole and a Half, Allie Brosh, 2013; graphic memoir
50) Zinky Boys, Svetlana Alexievich, 1990; translated from the Russian by Julia and Robin Whitby; non-fiction
49) The Plover, Brian Doyle, 2014; Fiction **Highly recommended**
48) The Unquiet Dead, Ausma Zehanat Khan, 2014; Fiction, Crime=Police Procedural
47) House-Bound, Winifred Peck, 1942; Fiction
46) Four Fish, Paul Greenberg, 2010, Non-Fiction
45) Oishinbo: Pub Food, 2005; Tetsa Kariya and Akira Hanasabi; Japanese graphic novel
44) The Alligator Report, W.P Kinsella, 1985; short stories
43) Once There was a War, John Steinbeck, 1958; essays
42) The Optimist's Daughter, Eudora Welty, 1972
41) The World is a Wedding, Wendy Jones, 2014
40) Silence of the Grave, Arnaldur Indridason, 2001; translated from the Icelandic by Bernard Scadder; Fiction, Crime-Police Procedural
39) Voices, Arnaldur Indridason, 2003; translated from the Icelandic by Bernard Scadder; Fiction, Crime-Police Procedural
38) Cards on the Table, Agatha Christie, 1936, audio
37) Raven Black, Ann Cleves, 2006; Fiction, Crime
36) Baby Island, Carol Ryrie Brink, 1937; Juvenile Fiction
35) Hidden Depths, Ann Cleves, 2007; Fiction, Crime
34) The Draining Lake, Arnaldur Indridasen, 2004; translated from the Icelandic by Bernard Scadder; Fiction, Crime-Police Procedural
33) Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, Helen Simpson, 2010, audio; Fiction
32) A Dark Redemption, Stav Sherez, 2012; Fiction, Crime
31) Stoner, John Williams, 1965; Fiction
30) Blood of Victory, Alan Furst, 2002; Fiction, Espionage
29) The Dead Mountaineer's Inn, Boris and Arkady Strugatsky, 1968; translated from the Russian by Josh Billings; Fiction, Soviet Sci-fi (?)
28) Absolute Solitude, Dulce Maria Loynaz, 1953, 1977; translated from the Spanish by James O'Connor; Poetry
27) The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals, Wendy Jones, 2012; Fiction
26) Wild, Cheryl Strayed, 2012 (audio); Non-fiction, memoir
25) A Raisin in the Sun, Lorraine Hansberry, 1959; play
24) Voyage of the Beagle, Charles Darwin, 1839: Non-fiction
23) Death in a White Tie, Ngaio Marsh, 1938; Fiction, Mystery
22) Distant Light, Antonio Moresco, 2013; translated from the Italian by Richard Dixon; Fiction
21) The Foundation Pit, Andrey Platonov, finished 1930, first published in USSR 1987; translated from the Russian by Robert and Elizabeth Chandler and Olga Meerson; Fiction, Dystopia
20) Amongst Women, John McGaham, 1990; Fiction
19) Making Money, Terry Pratchett, 2007; Audio book--Fiction
18) Dying in the Wool, Frances Brody, 2009; Fiction
17) Something Will Happen, You'll See, Christos Ikonomo, 2010; translated from Greek by Karen Emmerich; Fiction--short stories
16) The 6:41 to Paris, Jean Philippe Blondell, 2013; translated from the French by Alison Anderson; Fiction
15) Leaving Berlin, Josesh Kanon, 2015; Fiction
14) A Gathering of Old Men, Ernest J. Gaines, 1983; Audio book--Fiction
13) The Child Poet, Homero Aridjis, 1971, 1972; translated from the Spanish by Chloe Aridjis; Non-fiction (memoir)
12) The Underdogs, A Novel of the Mexican Revolution, Mariano Azuela, 1915, 1920; translated from the Spanish by Sergio Waisman; Fiction
11) Lucinella, Lore Segal, 1976; Fiction
10) A Passage to India, E.M. Forster, 1924; Fiction
9) Private Life, Josep Maria de Sagarra, 1932; translated from the Catalan by Mary Ann Newman
8) Along the Ganges, Ilija Trojanow, 2011; translated from the German by the author with Ranjit Hoskote; Non-fiction (travel)
7) Mr. Gwyn & Three Times at Dawn, Alessandro Baricco, 2014; translated from the Italian by Ann Goldstein; Fiction
6) Roadside Picnic, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, 1971; translated from the Russian by Olena Bormashenko; Fiction
5) Jar City, Arnaldur Indridasen, 2004; translated from the Icelandic by Bernard Scadder; Fiction, Crime-Police Procedural
4) Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates, 2015; Non-fiction
3) Come, Tell Me How You Live, Agatha Christie Mallowan, 1946; Non-fiction (memoir)
2) Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty, Tony Hoagland, 2010; Poetry
1) To Siberia, Per Petterson, 1996; translated from the Norwegian by Anne Born; Fiction

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 17

Finished The City of Mirrors!!!! Not sure that I liked the very ending pages but they do tie to the start of The Passage or The Twelve so I guess they are needed. :lol: Glad I made the journey although it wasn't anything "like" The Historian which is what started me on this epic 2000 plus page read that was done partly by audiobook. Next October please tell me just to reread The Historian. ;)

I am working on making my lists equal each other. Sorry for all the Goodreads activity. I was just going to leave it partially done but came to the conclusion that I need to try and fix it in order for it to be useful in the future. Working on my year end summary too. Will have it done by New Year's!

• Like 16

Stacia, thank you for posting a picture of the amazing Bingo card! I would have had to wait for my teenager to wake up to manage that.  I will say that it is almost as long as my window! And every time I look at it I see another funny category. I fniished A Civil Contract last night, and I see a few categories where I could use it. Books where men wear pantaloons? Flufferton? Books set in Europe? Book you remember reading during high school? Happy Ending? So many choices!

Rose, my sister looked at the categories you listed in your post & suggests some of the following books:

• any Dave Barry book
  • one of Jenny Lawson's books
  • Fifty Shades of Grey (for being too embarrassed to read on the subway) -- and when I was checking on the spelling of whether it was Grey or Gray, I found this gem!
  • The Midnight Examiner

And, no, my sister did not help come up with the original bingo. I just showed her your response & she starting spouting off reading ideas for you. Lol. She says The Midnight Examiner has chickens as a central plot point (though none are on the cover).

You all know my sister reads weird books, but I feel proud to say that I'm the one who introduced her to Jenny Lawson books, as well as The Midnight Examiner. :lol:

Ahhh, so the liking of weird books gene runs in the family! I will be coming back to you (and your sister) for suggestions in some categories.   I had to look up philately  :glare:

As far as I am concerned, there is but one choice of chicken book:  P.G. Wodehouse's Love Among the Chickens.

md10166456189.jpg

And . . . we have a winner in the Chicken on the Cover category!!!

• Like 16

Where did your reading take you this year?  

***This was the first year that I participated in the BaW thread, and I have to echo what everyone else has said.  2016 was a tough year for us, personally.  Our 9th child was born in February with Down Syndrome and had heart surgery in July.  She is doing wonderfully now, but there have been many times throughout the year when I just haven't been able to deal with the outside world.  Checking in with the BaW thread became a reward and a way to deal with stress.  I have really enjoyed all the conversation even though I don't get to participate in it as often as I would like to, and I have read many books that I never would have found on my own.  I particularly like the diversity of interests everyone has.  Although I have been reading mostly nonfiction for the past several years (this year is no exception), I think I read more fiction this year because of BaW recommendations... and because of my late and haphazard participation in Bingo. :001_smile:

How many books did you read and did you meet or beat your own personal goal?  Or did you get caught up in reading and forget to keep track like me?  *grin* 

**Goodreads says I read 74 books this year, but after taking out the middle grade and younger read alouds and the cookbooks, instruction guides, etc., I think I just squeaked in with 53 "real" books.  My goal is always 52 books, but I usually bump up my Goodreads challenge number to account for the cookbooks.  (The number of cookbooks I read every year varies, but I always have a few.) I might finish one more book by Saturday, but that will probably be it for the year.

Although I technically read fewer books last year, I read about 700 fewer pages this year.  Partly that's because this year was tough, but it's also because I sat down with my iPad to read then and get distracted by Facebook way too often. My goal for next year is to structure my reading time a little more so I'm actually reading and not wasting time.

What countries and time periods did you visit?

***Kenya, Quebec (Canada), the coast of California, 1930's Alabama, and postwar Italy were my standout locations this year.  Most of the books I read were set or published since 1900, with about half being published 2000 or later.  The two exceptions were She Stoops to Conquer (1773, originally read for the 18th century bingo square) and Sonnets from the Portugese (1850).

What were your most favorite stories?   Any stories that stayed with you a long time,  left you wanting more or needed to digest for a while before starting another?   Which books became comfort reads.

****The most important book I read all year has been The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge.  That one is going to impact my kids' lives. The Little World of Don Camillo was my favorite fiction and definitely a comfort read (and also a BaW recommendation).  It was the only book I could read while sitting with my baby daughter in the cardiovascular ICU this summer.   I'm hoping to read more Don Camillo books in 2017. 

Other favorites from this year:

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Life Among Savages, Shirley Jackson
The Eagle Tree, Ned Hayes
The Rosie Project, Graeme Simsion
84, Charing Cross Road, Helene Hanff
Crooked Heart, Lissa Evans
The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling, John Muir Laws

The two best books I read about Down Syndrome this year were Road Map to Holland by Jennifer Groneberg and An Uncomplicated Life: A Father's Memoir of His Exceptional Daughter by Paul Daugherty.

What is the one book or the one author you thought you'd never read and found yourself pleasantly surprised that you liked it?

**** Well, I certainly didn't expect to read all the books about Down Syndrome that I read this year... The best of that lot was Road Map to Holland.  But I also read a couple of plays this year and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading them.  Pygmalion was not My Fair Lady, but I still enjoyed reading it.  And I finally read To Kill a Mockingbird this year, along with my 17 yo dd.  I guess I was probably the only person in the US who got out of school without reading that book, but because it was on all those literature lists from my younger years, I guess I assumed it would be boring.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it such an absorbing book, with such great characters.

Did you read any books that touched you and made you laugh, cry, sing or dance.

****The Little World of Don Camillo made me laugh at a time when I needed it, and it was big-hearted when I needed that, too.  I guess lots of books made me cry this year, but mostly for personal reasons.

Any that made you want to toss it across the room in disgust?

****This Is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Brains and Shape Society.  Not so much for the ick factor, but for the "shaping society" part. That was a bit of a stretch and elitist to boot.  The first half of the book was good, though.

Please share a favorite cover or quote.

****I keep meaning to start a commonplace book and I get as far as setting up a notebook, but then I never get past that stage.  I do almost 100% of my reading while nursing the baby and obviously it is hard to write things down then.  So I tend to dog-ear pages with quotes that I like and then it may be a long time before I revisit those pages.  So, alas, I have no quotes.

• Like 17

Looking forward to the 2017 Bingo. These are my 2016 Bingo titles:

B

Female Author: Penny Kittle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Book Love

Historical: Nathalie S. Bober Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Abigail Adams, Witness to a Revolution

Pick based on the cover: Sarah Knight Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F#uck

Translated: Seneca Ă¢â‚¬â€œ On the Shortness of Life

Epic: Homeric Hymns

I

Published in 2016: Ericsson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Peak, Secrets from the New Science of Expertise

Revisit an old Friend: Steven Erikson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Gardens of the Moon

Over 500 Pages: Robert Jordan Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wheel of Time, book 11

Banned: Margaret Atwood Ă¢â‚¬â€œ HandmaidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Tale

Nautical: Patrick OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Brian Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Master & Commander

N

Number in the Title: Solomon Northup Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 12 Years a Slave

Fairy Tale Adaptation: Marissa Meyer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Cinder

Library Free Space: Chinua Achebe Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Things Fall Apart / No Longer at Ease / Arrow of God

Mystery: Chesterton Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Man Who Was Thursday

18th Century: Samuel Richardson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded

G

Dusty: Jacques Barzun Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Begin Here

Written in Birth Year: Anne McCaffrey Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dragon Song

Classic: Couperus Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stille Kracht

Color in the Title: Annegreet van Bergen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Gouden Jaren (Golden Years)

Arthurian: Agave Kruijssen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Lancelot

O

Picked by a Friend (Loesje): Irvin D. Yalom Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Spinoza Problem (Het raadsel Spinoza)

Play: Euripides - Medea

Non Fiction: Nancie Atwell Ă¢â‚¬â€œ In the Middle

Nobel Prize Winner: Faulkner Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Unvanquished

Set in Another Country: Chimamandi Ngozi Adichi Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Half a Yellow Sun

• Like 21

I read 146 books this year, which is more than my goal of 2 a week. I had no goals regarding themes or countries, I only wanted to read as much Dusty books as possible. I'm embarrassed to say I've only read 46 Dusty books, which is not going to make a dent in the amount of Dusties in my house :blushing: . I really need to do better in 2017. (*=Dusty)

Fiction:

Chimamandi Ngozi Adichi Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Half a Yellow Sun*

Faulkner Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Unvanquished

Patrick OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Brian Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Master & Commander*

Euripides Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Medea*

Solomon Northup Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 12 Years a Slave

Marissa Meyer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Cinder

Chinua Achebe Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Things Fall Apart*

Chinua Achebe Ă¢â‚¬â€œ No Longer at Ease*

Chinua Achebe  - Arrow of God*

Chesterton Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Man Who Was Thursday

Samuel Richardson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded

Kate Atkinson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ A God in Ruins

Margaret Atwood Ă¢â‚¬â€œ HandmaidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Tale

Margaret Atwoord Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Penelopiad (Penelope: de mythe van de vrouw van Odysseus)*

Margaret Atwoord Ă¢â‚¬â€œ MaddAddam

Margaret Atwoord Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Oryx and Crake

Margaret Atwoord Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Year of the Flood

Jean Rhys Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Good Morning, Midnight*

Jean Rhys Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wide Sargasso Sea*

Pete Hautman Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stone Cold

Dorothy Canfield Fisher Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Understood Betsy

Sharon Dogar Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Annexed (De jongen in het Achterhuis)

Marjane Satrapi Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Persepolis*

Sonya Sones Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stop Pretending: What Happend When My Big Sister Went Crazy (Nooit meer doen alsof: Wat er gebeurde toen mijn grote zus gek werd)

Meg Rosoff Ă¢â‚¬â€œ How I Live Now (Hoe ik nu leef)

Clare Dunkle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Close Kin (Hollow Kingdom 2)

Clare Dunkle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ In the Coils of the Snake (Hollow Kingdom 3)

Clare Dunkle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Hollow Kingdom (Hollow Kingdom 1)

Clare Dunkle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Sky Inside

Anne McCaffrey Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dragon Song

H.E. Bates Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Fair Stood the Wind for France*

Mark Haddon Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (Het wonderbaarlijke voorval met de hond in de nacht)

Lois McMaster Bujold Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Falling Free

Frank Herbert Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dune

Frank Herbert Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dune Messiah

Jenny Downham Ă¢â‚¬â€œ You Against Me (Jij tegen mij)

Sarah Dessen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Lock and Key (De sleutel naar geluk)

James Rollins Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Black Order

James Rollins Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Map of Bones

James Rollins Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Sandstorm

Brandon Sanderson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Steelheart

Steven Erikson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Gardens of the Moon

Steven Erikson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Deadhouse Gates

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time, book 11

Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wheel of Time, book 12

Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wheel of Time, book 13

Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wheel of Time, book 14

Leigh Butler Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Reread of Wheel of Time, book 1-4, book 5-6

J.D. Robb Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Witness in Death

J.D. Robb Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Vengeance in Death

J.D. Robb Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Strangers in Death

J.D. Robb Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Survivor in Death

J.D. Robb Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Treachery in Death

J.D. Robb Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Seduction in Death

Non-Fiction:

Susan Wise Bauer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ History of the Renaissance World*

David Quammen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Pandemic (Van dier naar mens)

Mary Beard Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Pompeii*

Norman Doidge Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Brain that Changes Itself*

Laura Hillenbrand Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Seabiscuit*

Irvin D. Yalom Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Spinoza Problem (Het raadsel Spinoza)

Nicholas Carr Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Glass Cage (De glazen kooi)

Bill Gifford Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Spring Chicken

Jacques Barzun Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Begin Here*

Michelle Alexander Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

Caroline Alexander Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The War that Killed Achilles, the True Story of HomerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Iliad and the Trojan War*

Sharon Astyk Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Depletion and Abundance, Life on the New Home Front*

James Wallman Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stuffocation (Ontspullen: meer leven met minder)

Antonin Sertillanges Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Intellectual Life, Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods*

Jacob Lund Fisker Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Early Retirement Extreme

T.R. Glover Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Challenge of the Greek and Other Essays*

Blaine Ray Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Fluency Through TPR Storytelling

Katy Bowman Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Movement Matters

Epistles of St Clement of Rome and St Ignatius of Antioch*

Teresa van Avila Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila by Herself*

Seneca Ă¢â‚¬â€œ On the Shortness of Life*

Homeric Hymns*

Thomas Dubay Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Happy Are You Poor

Thomas Dubay Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Saints: A Closer Look

Thomas Dubay Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer

Francesca Ambrogetti Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Pope Francis, Conversations with Jorge Bergoglio*

Maria Montessori Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Mass Explained to Children*

Jeff OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Neal Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Start Here, Read Your Way into 25 Amazing Authors

Jeff OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Neal Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Start Here, volume 2: Read Your Way into 25 Amazing Authors

Daniel Coyle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Little Book of Talent (Ontwikkel je talenten)

Nathalie S. Bober Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Abigail Adams, Witness to a Revolution*

Sarah Knight Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F#uck

Hal Elrod Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Miracle Morning

Ericsson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Peak, Secrets from the New Science of Expertise

Non-Fiction, homeschool:

Dena Marie Luchsinger Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The ReaderĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Odyssee: An Individualized Literature Program For Homeschooling Middle and High School Students

Carol Jago Ă¢â‚¬â€œ With Rigor for All, Meeting Common Core Standards for Reading Literature

Nancie Atwell Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual Critical Readers

Nancie Atwell Ă¢â‚¬â€œ In the Middle, A Lifetime of Learning About Writing, Reading, and Adolescents

Franki Sibberson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Day-to-Day Assessment in the Reading Workshop, making informed instructional decisions in grade 3-6

Penny Kittle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Book Love: Developing Depth, Stamina, and Passion in Adolescent Readers

Aidan Chambers Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Reading Environment & Tell Mee (Leespraat: De leesomgeving & vertel eens)

Rafe Esquith Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Teach Like Your HairĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s on Fire*

Marva Collins Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ordinary Children, Extraordinary Teachers*

Steve Leveen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Little Guide to Your Well Read Life

Charles Pearce Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Nurturing Inquiry: Real Science for the Elementary Classroom*

Latin: (Only kiddy Latin, because I want to support these new publishers - last two titles)

Hans Orberg Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Colloquia Pensonarum

Rachel Ash Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Pluto, Fabula Amoris

Christoher Buszek Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Iter Mirabile Dennis et Debrae

Dutch Fiction:

Anke Kranendonk Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Altijd Vrolijk

Annegreet van Bergen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Gouden Jaren*

Agave Kruijssen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Lancelot

Marloes Morshuis Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Koken voor de keizer

A.Alberts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De vergaderzaal*

Ton Lemaire Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Het lied van Hiawatha

Kader Abdolah Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De kraai*

Kader Abdolah Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De meisjes en de partizanen*

Louis Couperus Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Extase*

Louis Couperus Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stille Kracht*

Sjoerd Kuyper Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De rode zwaan

Hella Haasse Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Sleuteloog*

Harry Mulisch Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Siegfried*

Harry Mulisch Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De zaak 40/61

Per Nilsson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ik ben geen racist

Jan van Aken Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De dwaas van Palmyra*

Jan van Aken Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De valse dageraad*

M.G. Leonard Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Keverjongen

Simone van der Vlugt Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Jacoba, dochter van Holland*

Stefan Hertmans Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Oorlog en terpentijn

Arthur Japin Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De zwarte met het witte hart*

Benny Lindelauf Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De hemel van Heivisj

Mark Schaevers Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Orgelman: Felix Nussbaum, een schildersleven

Annejet van der Zijl Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Anna: het leven van Annie M.G. Schmidt*

Jan de Leeuw Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Babel

Franz Werfel Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Het lied van Bernadette*

Dutch Non-Fiction:

Ralph Moorman Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Hormoonbalans voor vrouwen

Bram Bakker Ă¢â‚¬â€œ De verademing

Bram Bakker Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Bewegen voor beginners

Jan Jacob Cremer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ J.J. Cremer en de Leidse fabriekskinderen

Rutger Bregman Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Waarom vuilnismannen meer verdienen dan bankiers

Hein van Dolen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Odysseus

Koen de Jong Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Koud kunstje, wat kun je leren van de Ice Man

Katja de Bruin Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Zitten is het nieuwe roken

Gerhard Hormann Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Het plakband pensioen

Rudi Westendorp Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Oud worden in de praktijk

Rudi Westendorp Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Oud worden zonder het te zijn

Joris Luyendijk Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Een goede man slaat soms zijn vrouw

Kris Verburgh Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Veroudering vertragen

Eric Moonen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dwaalspoor Dyslexie

Fik Meijer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Macht zonder grenzen*

Jane de Iongh Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Margaretha van Oostenrijk, hertogin van Savooie*

Edited by Tress
  • Like 22

My husband is clearing out a bookcase in our bedroom and moving the books to his office. I caught myself thinking today that it might be a good place for me to put my TBR books. Obviously since I have graduated from TBR pile to TBR bookcase I completely understand! [emoji15]

I started to answer Robin's questions this morning but the little ones apparently hadn't been briefed that I am on vacation. I may squeeze in a couple more books over the next few days anyway, I guess.

- Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want a TR bookshelf in my room!!

Also, not only do kids not recognize mom's vacation, but they don't give us sick days either. 

These Is My Words, which was like a fast-paced Laura Ingalls Wilder in the southwest. I loved the voice of the narrator and enjoyed following her from a feisty teenager to an adult woman with children. Not a children's novel (teens would be fine). Not sexy, but real world stuff in areas where anything can happen. Honest about religion and how various people deal with things. Based on the author's great-grandmother. I've read at least 2 sequels, and while I enjoyed the continuity the first was the best. 

These look perfect for the Western bongo square for 2017

For local author in BaW bingo, how local does it need to be? Does an author from your state count? We really don't have many right here.

I am doing an author from my state. 

Carl Hiaasen is in the Miami area. That's a couple hours from you, right? My kids like his kid books. 

I finished Geek Parenting which was a fun little book in which the authors took scenes and story lines from "geek" books, shows, and movies and turned them into little parenting advice chunks. 

• Like 16

STACIA!!!!!!!  YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just got the coolest gift ever!!!  My very own, custom, 240 square Bingo card!!!!!!   Yep, you heard that right, it is 5 x 48 squares! And some of the coolest, funniest categories I've ever seen.  Let's see, some of my favorites are: Travel Gone Wrong, Has a Cemetery In It, I Would Be Embarrassed To Be Seen Reading This on the Subway, People Wearing Pantaloons, Book With Chickens on the Cover, Characters Need Saddles in the Book, and the list goes on, and on, and on!  I hear mumto2, Mom-ninja, and Jane in NC helped come up with some of the categories.  Thank you all so much! 

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :biggrinjester:

Is it wrong that I'm desperately curious and the photo (in which I can't read any of the categories) only made it worse? Love the categories mentioned so far. Please update us as you go. 

Thanks. Quite honestly, most of the truly local authors are pretty bad. I've tried a few in the past.  :tongue_smilie:

I could probably re-read A Land Remembered. It's been a few years since I assigned it to ds, and probably close to 20 years since I initially read it. The author Patrick Smith, lived in my county for years. He used to show up at various pioneer demonstrations and seafood festivals to sign copies of that and his other books. I'm just not sure I can take reading (again) about the destruction of Florida's fragile land at this time. 

I kept reading this as The Land Remembers and wondered why LadyFlorida lives in southwestern Wisconsin.

Update: The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman is marked as a new book from my library and is due today so I finished it last night. Fun fantasy with a steampunk/librarian/alternate world flair. I'm also pages away from finishing Osa Johnson's memoir I Married Adventure. She was married to (and worked with) Martin Johnson the photographer and filmmaker. They traveled to the South Seas and east Africa during the naughts, teens, and twenties and did all kinds of crazy and stupid things. Standard racism and sexism of the time but the experiences were unusual (especially for a woman) and are part of a world which has vanished for the most part. 

2 more women for my list...1 fiction, 1 non-fiction. 

• Like 13

Tam, here's the list with a few typos. Gotta run to work now...

Set in Asia

Local Author

Random book from the 240 shelf in your library

Female villain

Book translated from a non-European language

Astronomy

Dorothy Dunnett

Cheesy! (Cheese or type of cheese in title)

Book you remember reading during high school

Royalty

Middle East

Book selected by your younger daughter

Seaworthy

Yellow is the predominant color on the cover

Prime number

Essay Collection

Mountain-climbing

A book about books

Mars

Made into a movie

A woman in heels on the cover

How-to book

Published in the year you were married

Epistolary

Kraken!

Russian Revolution

Agatha Christie

Basque

Indie publisher

Selected by a friend

Zadie Smith

Dystopian

Textiles

Set on a tropical island

Happy ending

Book from a Bogota39 author

Fashion

I need a tissue bos for this one!

Modern retelling of a classic or myth

Written in your older daughter's birth year

Hmmmm.....

An original Grimm's fairy tale

Biology

Pulitzer Prize winning poet

The Borgias

Travel gone wrong

Neil Gaiman

Make 'em laugh!

Has a cemetery in it

Book set in Oceania

Cartels

Opera

South Africa

Outer space

Murder, Mayhem, & Madness

Book by a sinner ;-)

I would be embarrassed to be seen reading this on the subway...

Published in at least 5 different languages

Type or brand of beer, wine, or spirits in the title

Michael Ondaatje

Voodoo

Free Space

Written by a blogger

Free Space

Something silly

Record-breaker

An insect in the title

Oscar Wilde

As your librarian to select a book for you

Vietnam

A rose on the cover

Character smokes

Art

Edgar Award

I want to be or to know the main character of this book

Sherlock Holmes

Manga

Book from an Africa39 author

Autobiography

Narrated from multiple viewpoints

Etiquette

I fell down a wormhole, the rabbit hole, or into a black hole

Book you see someone else reading in public

Desert

Talking animals

I cannot believe there's a book about this!

Set in North America

People wearing pantaloons

Pyramids

Jeanette Winterson

Birthstone in the title

Donald or Hillary

Book you remember reading during elementary school

Author's first published book

UNESCO World Book Capital

Written by an author who uses a pen name

Ancient (BC) up to 100 AD

Free Space

Eastern Europe

One-word title

Magical Realism

Wrath

Book with chickens on the cover

Paranormal

Crimean War

Museum-related

Book by an author named Rose

Buddhist

Classic

Book that makes you hungry when you read it

Your favorite holiday as the main theme or timeframe of the book

Rainforest

Book from a friend's "read" list on Goodreads

Medical

Elves, sprites, or other impish creatures

A book listed on onegrandbooks.com

France

Book selected by your spouse

A Roosevelt (Teddy, FDR, or Eleanor)

Book by a saint

Nebula Award

"Cake" in the title

A sword fight might break out. En garde!

Set in Antarctica

Short story collection

Clouds or type of could on the cover

Female adventure

Part of a series

Book I would buy for a friend

Author who is the same age you are

Free Space

Unicorns!

"Night" in the title

Cuba

Free Space

Set on a Pacific island

"Crazy" in the title

Published in 2017

Chemistry

Tudor

LBGTQ

Free Space

Kurt Vonnegut

Free Space

Book recommended by NPR

Book with a Duke as a main character

Has pretty pictures in it

Mystery

Translated from a language you have not read previously in translation

Oprah book club selection

Arctic

Book made into a musical

Free Space

Italian Renaissance

Book involving magic tricks/illusions

Translated

Thriller

Banana!

Finance

Set in the 1970s

"Sun" in the title

Set in a country bordering the Indian Ocean

Written by a comedienne

Jane Austen fan fic

Disease

Newsworthy

YA

Bootlegging

Your name in the title

Cooking

Random pick from the 700 section of the library

Man-hunk on the cover (a bodice-ripper)

A book you would recommend to a stranger

Banned

Book from a Beirut39 author

Alien protagonist

Shape in the title

Set in a country bordering the North Sea

Folklore

Swashbuckling

Women's suffrage

Gothic

Vampires

Set in Africa

Dinosaurs

Philosophy

Mythological character in the title

Made into a musical

Western

Philately

Book you remember reading during middle school

Has a caravan in it

"Chocolate" in the title

Somerset Maugham

Female world leader

Set in South America

Middle Ages

Climate

Classical composer or musician

De. Seuss compilation

Maya Angelou

An author you think you hate

Novella

Book selected by your older daughter

Cozy mystery written in the 1960s

Booker Prize

Argentinian author

Charlemagne

Book bought used

Pilots

Characters need saddles in this book

Set underwater

Flufferton

Cold War

Noir

Written in your younger daughter's birth year

Curse word in the title

Icelandic

On a 2016 "Best of" list

Set in your state of birth (or country of birth if outside the US)

Set in a major American city

Botany

Olympian

"Queen" in the title

Gold Rush

Civil Rights

Your favorite animal on the cover

Lewis & Clark

Ugly cover

I laughed until I cried....

Steampunk

Sci-fi

Geography or Maps

Haruki Murakami

Silk Road

Written by a comedian

Book from Emma Watson's Feminist book club

Set in Europe

Over 500 pages

No human characters

• Like 20

I finished two more books yesterday so that's 130 for the year.

#129: Welcome to Night Vale.  This book took me a really long time to read for two reasons.  1.) It was paper.  I just don't enjoy reading books on paper.  It's not comfortable and I can't change the font size.  And I can't read a paper book while walking around the house.  I do a lot of reading while walking.  2.) Very, very often I went, "Wait, what?" and had to go back and read a sentence or two.  The subtle dark humor of Night Vale, well, if you've ever listened to the podcast you get it.  It was a good book.  Random, amusing, sarcastic, so totally Night Vale.

#130: The Last Bookstore in America by Amy Stewart.  Eh.  It was okay.  An awful lot of time was spent lamenting the end of paper books (and of course if you don't read paper books you must be *stupid* because no way do people actually read books on an ereader - they just download them, you know).  The "Gizmo" from Nile.Com (which of course is the Kindle from Amazon) is the entire cause of the end of bookstores (and paper books) according to the book (the author owns a bookstore, by the way).  The cognitive dissonance of those lectures while I was reading the book on my Kindle was just weird.  The last bookstore in America was making tons of money... but they weren't selling books.  They were selling pot while pretending to sell books.  I never did figure out if the author was pro- or anti-pot, but she is definitely anti-Kindle.

• Like 14

Looking forward to the 2017 Bingo. These are my 2016 Bingo titles:

B

Female Author: Penny Kittle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Book Love

Historical: Nathalie S. Bober Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Abigail Adams, Witness to a Revolution

Pick based on the cover: Sarah Knight Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F#uck

Translated: Seneca Ă¢â‚¬â€œ On the Shortness of Life

Epic: Homeric Hymns

I

Published in 2016: Ericsson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Peak, Secrets from the New Science of Expertise

Revisit an old Friend: Steven Erikson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Gardens of the Moon

Over 500 Pages: Robert Jordan Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wheel of Time, book 11

Banned: Margaret Atwood Ă¢â‚¬â€œ HandmaidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Tale

Nautical: Patrick OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Brian Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Master & Commander

N

Number in the Title: Solomon Northup Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 12 Years a Slave

Fairy Tale Adaptation: Marissa Meyer Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Cinder

Library Free Space: Chinua Achebe Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Things Fall Apart / No Longer at Ease / Arrow of God

Mystery: Chesterton Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Man Who Was Thursday

18th Century: Samuel Richardson Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded

G

Dusty: Jacques Barzun Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Begin Here

Written in Birth Year: Anne McCaffrey Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dragon Song

Classic: Couperus Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stille Kracht

Color in the Title: Annegreet van Bergen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Gouden Jaren (Golden Years)

Arthurian: Agave Kruijssen Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Lancelot

O

Picked by a Friend (Loesje): Irvin D. Yalom Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Spinoza Problem (Het raadsel Spinoza)

Play: Euripides - Medea

Non Fiction: Nancie Atwell Ă¢â‚¬â€œ In the Middle

Nobel Prize Winner: Faulkner Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Unvanquished

Set in Another Country: Chimamandi Ngozi Adichi Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Half a Yellow Sun

Congratulations and well done! I seem to have lost your email. Please pm again so I can send your bingo prize!

• Like 11

We got home in the wee hours yesterday morning and are now getting ready for Christmas 2.0 with my ds and nephew. I'll eventually get to a wrap up of my 2016 reads, but first thought I'd share a few photos from Hawaii:

31903073476_4be58177b5.jpg 

2 blissful days at a resort were spent poolside with a book and festive beverage  :coolgleamA:

This particular book was the second in the Rivers of London series, Moon Over Soho. During our trip I also read an epic fantasy, Last Song Before Night, and a couple short stories in a collection by Kij Johnson. I also listened to, but have not yet finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. 

A Pacific Golden Plover     31130904133_7e8f6ddb26.jpg

These little guys can be found all over Oahu but it took days to finally get a decent photo of one as they kept running away every time the crazy Brian Doyle fan-girl got close with her camera or iPhone! This one was at a resort area, so no doubt was used to people blundering about his territory.

I passed this postcard-perfect tableau on my morning walk Christmas Eve.                                         31100153454_e6ea86d82e_z.jpg  

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 21

Congratulations and well done! I seem to have lost your email. Please pm again so I can send your bingo prize!

Will do, Robin. And thank you.

Hawai looks awesome, Jennifer. I could use a vacation to Hawai about now. I have been coughing soooo much the past few weeks, every time I stand or walk or try to talk to anyone :glare:. 

• Like 13

Hi all,

You guys are super-impressive prolific readers!  I fear I am spending too much time reading the WTM site and too little reading books.  I would like to change that next year.  I haven't read this thread every week since I first popped in this summer, but whenever I do, I am always inspired.  I used to read almost a book a day in high school!  Sadly, I haven't read much more than finishing the books I first posted about last summer.  I'm pretty sure I read at least a few books before that as well (I'm pretty sure Henrietta Lacks was this year; I know El tiempo entre costuras (The Time in Between) was, and how recently was The Girls of Atomic City??). Also getting through some books on tape with book-averse dd - currently on Jane Eyre.  Love that book. :) I got a little book to write down books read and books to read, but haven't really gotten it organized yet. Do you mind if instead of sharing my anemic list from this year, I think about how to read more next year?

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read?  I think a big part of my problem is I've lost the habit.  I am a creature of habit, it turns out.  I don't know if I'll ever achieve the number of books many of you do - I'm not a super-speedy reader - but I know I could manage to read a lot more than I have been, especially with only one kid left at home.

Next I think I should come up with a working to-read list.  Recently I've bought:

Die Verwandlung (Metamorphosis) by Kafka - not a huge Kafka fan, but it's short and I suggested my dd tackle it; I might as well.

La catedral del mar by Ildefonso Falcones (set in medieval Barcelona)

Im Land des Korallenbaums by Sofia Caspari - in an ever more desperate attempt to find writing in German that is not as Heavy and Important as Kafka or Goethe but also not fluff.  This may be fluff.  It's about some German emigrants to Argentina.

For Christmas I got: 

The Violinist's Thumb by Sam Kean - my brother always recommends great nonfiction, so I'm looking forward to that

I gave the brother The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben.  I've heard great things about that one and would like to find a German copy for myself.

Of the 83 books I completed, 32 were in translation from the following languages:
  • Icelandic - 7
  • Russian - 5
  • Spanish- 4
  • Italian - 3
  • French - 3
  • Japanese - 2
  • Norwegian - 2
  • Arabic - 2
  • German - 2
  • Greek - 1
  • Catalan- 1

As you may be able to tell, I try to read in three languages.  English and Spanish are easy to find, but for some reason I have been having a very hard time finding things in German that I don't end up finding a bit of a slog.  I'm starting to think it might be part of just how most Germans write.  Like if it isn't Serious and probably Depressing then it isn't Important and Deep.  My favorite books in German are probably by Cornelia Funke (YA) and Ulrich Plenzdorf.  One of the latter  is a quite funny riff on The Sorrows of Young Werther, which I keep meaning to read but have yet to get through.  Another book I quite enjoyed in German was a biography of Liszt that was actually translated from the Hungarian.  I've decided maybe I should try books translated into German from other languages I can't read... especially Germanic ones (yes, I know Hungarian isn't Germanic ;) )  Anyway, any of the Icelandic or Norwegian books you read particularly good? :)  Swedish books seem also a good idea.  I've thought of the Dragon Tattoo books, but they seem a bit explicitly violent for my tastes from what I've heard...  And I know there are Dutch and Danish readers on this list - any awesome recommendations from your language?

And what did you read from CatalĂƒÂ¡n, I must know?  Dd is on a mission to learn CatalĂƒÂ¡n these days - she bought a dictionary and a play to translate, and we've been watching a surprisingly good Netflix show in CatalĂƒÂ¡n (still with subtitles ;) ).  She was previously on an Icelandic kick for a few years - I also bought her a novel in Icelandic to pore over, but that should take her a looong time.  But yes, we had fun at the foreign language book store earlier this month. :D

Anyway, I've been putting together a much longer to-read list from stuff I've been meaning to read forever, to stuff you guys have mentioned that sound really interesting, to other book lists I've bookmarked... it's still probably shorter than what most of you have read just this year...  :blushing:  do you guys ever start off the year sharing to-read lists?  If so, I'll keep adding and share it then, if not, I'll just try to actually get it into my little book of books I've been meaning to get started...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 20

Tam, here's the list with a few typos. Gotta run to work now...

Loved these categories! What a fun and brilliant idea!

These little guys can be found all over Oahu but it took days to finally get a decent photo of one as they kept running away every time the crazy Brian Doyle fan-girl got close with her camera or iPhone! This one was at a resort area, so no doubt was used to people blundering about his territory.

31100153454_e6ea86d82e_z.jpg

Loved the plover pic! And the beach is gorgeous. One of these days, perhaps we'll get to Hawaii.

Jane - Drum circle sounds great! I have my own drum already.

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read? I think a big part of my problem is I've lost the habit. I am a creature of habit, it turns out. I don't know if I'll ever achieve the number of books many of you do - I'm not a super-speedy reader - but I know I could manage to read a lot more than I have been, especially with only one kid left at home.

As far as finding time to read, I've given up almost all television and much of my internet browsing. I'll binge watch shows like Game of Thrones or Westworld, but I'll go weeks without spending time in front of a tv.

I always have a book or my tablet with me so I can read on the go.

I need to read at least 30 minutes at night to shut down my brain before sleeping, but I prefer a full hour.

I have an audible subscription and listen to books or courses in the car or while I'm going for a walk.

When I was more active, I would read a book on my tablet while working out on the elliptical. I'm hoping to get back into exercising soon. I finished books quickly when I had an hour dedicated to reading each day.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 15

Hi all,

You guys are super-impressive prolific readers! I fear I am spending too much time reading the WTM site and too little reading books. I would like to change that next year. I haven't read this thread every week since I first popped in this summer, but whenever I do, I am always inspired. I used to read almost a book a day in high school! Sadly, I haven't read much more than finishing the books I first posted about last summer. I'm pretty sure I read at least a few books before that as well (I'm pretty sure Henrietta Lacks was this year; I know El tiempo entre costuras (The Time in Between) was, and how recently was The Girls of Atomic City??). Also getting through some books on tape with book-averse dd - currently on Jane Eyre. Love that book. :) I got a little book to write down books read and books to read, but haven't really gotten it organized yet. Do you mind if instead of sharing my anemic list from this year, I think about how to read more next year?

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read? I think a big part of my problem is I've lost the habit. I am a creature of habit, it turns out. I don't know if I'll ever achieve the number of books many of you do - I'm not a super-speedy reader - but I know I could manage to read a lot more than I have been, especially with only one kid left at home.

Next I think I should come up with a working to-read list. Recently I've bought:

Die Verwandlung (Metamorphosis) by Kafka - not a huge Kafka fan, but it's short and I suggested my dd tackle it; I might as well.

Im Land des Korallenbaums by Sofia Caspari - in an ever more desperate attempt to find writing in German that is not as Heavy and Important as Kafka or Goethe but also not fluff. This may be fluff. It's about some German emigrants to Argentina.

For Christmas I got:

The Violinist's Thumb by Sam Kean - my brother always recommends great nonfiction, so I'm looking forward to that

I gave the brother The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. I've heard great things about that one and would like to find a German copy for myself.

As you may be able to tell, I try to read in three languages. English and Spanish are easy to find, but for some reason I have been having a very hard time finding things in German that I don't end up finding a bit of a slog. I'm starting to think it might be part of just how most Germans write. Like if it isn't Serious and probably Depressing then it isn't Important and Deep. My favorite books in German are probably by Cornelia Funke (YA) and Ulrich Plenzdorf. One of the latter is a quite funny riff on The Sorrows of Young Werther, which I keep meaning to read but have yet to get through. Another book I quite enjoyed in German was a biography of Liszt that was actually translated from the Hungarian. I've decided maybe I should try books translated into German from other languages I can't read... especially Germanic ones (yes, I know Hungarian isn't Germanic ;) ) Anyway, any of the Icelandic or Norwegian books you read particularly good? :) Swedish books seem also a good idea. I've thought of the Dragon Tattoo books, but they seem a bit explicitly violent for my tastes from what I've heard... And I know there are Dutch and Danish readers on this list - any awesome recommendations from your language?

And what did you read from CatalĂƒÂ¡n, I must know? Dd is on a mission to learn CatalĂƒÂ¡n these days - she bought a dictionary and a play to translate, and we've been watching a surprisingly good Netflix show in CatalĂƒÂ¡n (still with subtitles ;) ). She was previously on an Icelandic kick for a few years - I also bought her a novel in Icelandic to pore over, but that should take her a looong time. But yes, we had fun at the foreign language book store earlier this month. :D

Anyway, I've been putting together a much longer to-read list from stuff I've been meaning to read forever, to stuff you guys have mentioned that sound really interesting, to other book lists I've bookmarked... it's still probably shorter than what most of you have read just this year... :blushing: do you guys ever start off the year sharing to-read lists? If so, I'll keep adding and share it then, if not, I'll just try to actually get it into my little book of books I've been meaning to get started...

I set this year a goal I knew I could realisticly reach by december 31.

In my case it was 52 books, but 26 book can work too :)

I reactivated my goodreads account which makes logging so much easier especially when you are reading in multiple languages.

I read mostly for bedtime.

I've alway done that and it was therefore the easiest timeslot to be set to.

Negative side of it is that I'm often too tired to read in an other language then my mothertongue.

Some books get finished by limiting myself to 1-2 chapters per time and then read something else.

And it helps to pick something you will like to read.

So I mix happily easy romans with 'real' literature.

• Like 15

Dealing with fever, caughing and unfinished schoolwork from the first trimester I am still working on my wrap.

I read 61 books (goal 52)

The books I read now will be count for 2017 :)

Does anyone know when one can install the 2017 challenge at goodreads?

I hope you feel better soon!

Congratulations on more than meeting your goal. I "think" the 2017 challenge will open on the first. I also vaguely remember receiving an email about it.

Matryoshka, Have you investigated belonging to a large library in your state just for the access to kindle books in foreign languages? Many German and Russian books have recently appeared on one of my libraries lists, some other languages also. As a resident of the state you may be given access for free. It's worked for a few BaWer's.

Also Goodreads can be a really good way to organize your reading. I used to read many books simultaneously and faithfully recorded my page number update every few days. It kept me on track because I could truly see where I was at. It also helped me manage my library deadlines, it didn't tell me (unfortunately) when it was due but did indicate when more time reading a particular book was needed to finish within three weeks at a glance. I have had a rough year and can only handle a book or two at a time. Sleep issues are a real problem and I only read fluffy during the night. Lots of fluff finished this year!

• Like 14

Hi all,

You guys are super-impressive prolific readers!  I fear I am spending too much time reading the WTM site and too little reading books.  I would like to change that next year.  I haven't read this thread every week since I first popped in this summer, but whenever I do, I am always inspired.  I used to read almost a book a day in high school!  Sadly, I haven't read much more than finishing the books I first posted about last summer.  I'm pretty sure I read at least a few books before that as well (I'm pretty sure Henrietta Lacks was this year; I know El tiempo entre costuras (The Time in Between) was, and how recently was The Girls of Atomic City??). Also getting through some books on tape with book-averse dd - currently on Jane Eyre.  Love that book. :) I got a little book to write down books read and books to read, but haven't really gotten it organized yet. Do you mind if instead of sharing my anemic list from this year, I think about how to read more next year?

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read?  I think a big part of my problem is I've lost the habit.  I am a creature of habit, it turns out.  I don't know if I'll ever achieve the number of books many of you do - I'm not a super-speedy reader - but I know I could manage to read a lot more than I have been, especially with only one kid left at home.

Next I think I should come up with a working to-read list.  Recently I've bought:

Im Land des Korallenbaums by Sofia Caspari - in an ever more desperate attempt to find writing in German that is not as Heavy and Important as Kafka or Goethe but also not fluff.  This may be fluff.  It's about some German emigrants to Argentina.

For Christmas I got: 

I gave the brother The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben.  I've heard great things about that one and would like to find a German copy for myself.

As you may be able to tell, I try to read in three languages.  English and Spanish are easy to find, but for some reason I have been having a very hard time finding things in German that I don't end up finding a bit of a slog.  I'm starting to think it might be part of just how most Germans write.  Like if it isn't Serious and probably Depressing then it isn't Important and Deep.  My favorite books in German are probably by Cornelia Funke (YA) and Ulrich Plenzdorf.  One of the latter  is a quite funny riff on The Sorrows of Young Werther, which I keep meaning to read but have yet to get through.  Another book I quite enjoyed in German was a biography of Liszt that was actually translated from the Hungarian.  I've decided maybe I should try books translated into German from other languages I can't read... especially Germanic ones (yes, I know Hungarian isn't Germanic ;) )  Anyway, any of the Icelandic or Norwegian books you read particularly good? :)  Swedish books seem also a good idea.  I've thought of the Dragon Tattoo books, but they seem a bit explicitly violent for my tastes from what I've heard...  And I know there are Dutch and Danish readers on this list - any awesome recommendations from your language?

And what did you read from CatalĂƒÂ¡n, I must know?  Dd is on a mission to learn CatalĂƒÂ¡n these days - she bought a dictionary and a play to translate, and we've been watching a surprisingly good Netflix show in CatalĂƒÂ¡n (still with subtitles ;) ).  She was previously on an Icelandic kick for a few years - I also bought her a novel in Icelandic to pore over, but that should take her a looong time.  But yes, we had fun at the foreign language book store earlier this month. :D

Anyway, I've been putting together a much longer to-read list from stuff I've been meaning to read forever, to stuff you guys have mentioned that sound really interesting, to other book lists I've bookmarked... it's still probably shorter than what most of you have read just this year...  :blushing:  do you guys ever start off the year sharing to-read lists?  If so, I'll keep adding and share it then, if not, I'll just try to actually get it into my little book of books I've been meaning to get started...

Well I am darned impressed that you can read in three languages.  Envious too.

I have stayed away from the Dragon Tattoo books for the reason you mention.  But I love the mysteries by Icelandic author Arnaldur Indridason. 

Butterflies in November is a very quirky little Icelandic novel, fun if you are in the mood for a bit of random quirk.  I read the first two volumes of Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle last year.  I am actually a bit disappointed with myself for not reading another volume or two in '16.  I need to fix that.  Brilliant books, in my opinion, that have turned this Norwegian writer into a literary superstar.

Archipelago published a translated version of the Catalan classic Private Lives by Josep Maria de Sagarra which I read earlier in the year.  I have another Catalan translation in the stacks, Life Embitters by Joseph Pla.  Why don't you show the description to your daughter. If she is interested, I will mail her the book after I finish it--although I confess that it may take a couple of months before I crack it open.

About finding time for reading...I am not the prolific reader that lives here in the BaW threads, i.e. those reading over 100 books annually.  Because I am no longer homeschooling, I am able to surpass the book a week goal--but I really don't feel this should be a numbers competition since a stack of young adult novels can be read in the same amount of time required by Jane Eyre.  This is such an eclectic group--and more importantly a supportive group.  There are times in our lives when we turn to certain type of books for comfort or entertainment--and other times when we can face soul searching chunksters or experimental poetry. The general point is to read.

As a fiction reader, I have found the weekly challenge of reading a few chapters in one of Susan's history books to be good for me.  Next year we are reading her History of Science book. This is one way to stretching yourself if this is the type of book you do not normally pick up.

• Like 16

I got a kindle paperwhite for Christmas, signed up for my free month of kindle unlimited and promptly downloaded some Georgette Heyer titles that have been recommended here! I started Cotillion last night. I'm excited to have a better screen for reading e-books -- my phone is ok, but it sure kills the battery to read a long book on it.

The short version of my 2016 wrap is that I'm on book 78. My favorites were:

Beethoven for a Later Age: The Journey of a String Quartet by Edward Dusinberre  becaue it captures the joy of playing music   

The Plover by Brian Doyle  because of the beautiful prose

Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro  because of the memorable characters & evocative writing

The Dream Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson  because of the succinct, evocative writing and feminist take on Lovecraft

I read lots of mysteries, some fantasy and there are a few book titles that I recorded and just can't remember what they were! 

• Like 20

Can I start by asking when you find the time to read?

I exercise while reading.  I walk around my house and read on my Kindle at the same time.  I get in my steps AND read at the same time (audiobooks don't work for me).  I watch almost no TV.  Pretty much I only watch TV when I am digital scrapbooking or cross stitching.  I literally can't just sit and watch something unless I am sick or very tired.  So that leaves a lot of time to read.  I always have my Kindle with me.  I actually just got a new purse and I brought my Kindle along to be sure it would fit perfectly.  I read on it here and there when I am somewhere and have a few minutes.  I also read a bit during school while I'm waiting for kids to need me.  And, I read fast naturally.

• Like 16

Tress, congrats on Bingo and for reading so many books, knowing you have had more than your share of migraines.

Loesje, hope you feel better soon.

Jane, I agree that the Dragon Tattoo series may not be one you would like.

Jenn, love the photos!

Re: reading times. I built up again over a few years once my kids were older. I almost never watch tv. I try to read a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I also have a book with me at almost all times so when I am stuck in traffic, in a line, at the orthodontist, etc... Sometimes those few minutes here & there allow you to make a lot of progress.

• Like 13

Yep, like others have said, the main reason I read so much is we don't have TV. If I want to watch a show I have to wait for the DVD to come from Netflix, so I can't even binge-watch, really.  

I also read before bed, and I read first thing in the morning - before the girls wake up and the school day starts. 

I always have an audio book going, and I listen while I walk, do chores, cook dinner, before going into and upon stepping out of the shower, you name it. Also in the car when I'm alone, so driving to and from fieldwork and meetings. 

And, I do count the books I read with my kids for school, and we always have several of those going that we read during the day almost every day, so I'm able to make progress on multiple books at once - maybe one or two I'm reading with each kid, one audiobook, a couple of pre-reads for school, a serious read and a fluffy read on my own.  Having so many things going means there is always something in the currently reading stack I'm in the mood for!  I find that like any effortful work, my energy wanes as the day goes on, so I try and do my more serious reading in the mornings and do my escape/pleasure/fun reading at night.  

I am also envious of your ability to read in multiple languages, Matroyshka! I'm trying to get there with Spanish, but so far I'm still at the Easy Reader level.  Maybe someday.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 16

Hi all,

I lost the habit of reading for a while as well. This year I have read as much as I can, no matter what it was. In 2017, I know I'll slow down - or at least choose differently. As to finding the time to read, several major factors are at play:

1. I only have one kid and he's pretty easy to homeschool. I read while he is working on assignments.

2. I take a book or tablet with me wherever I go. If DS is at archery practice, I read while I wait for him.

3. I have a chronic illness and limited energy/ability for engaging in more active past times. Therefore, I read (or knit).

4. My son and spouse are avid birders. I go along for the ride (with a book).

Ok, here's my list for the year... I decided to include the books that were short or mostly photos in addition to the books I actually had to read.  I'm not sure if anyone will be interested, but I like to see all kinds of books in lists. :001_smile:  I didn't figure out percentages, but there are a lot of special needs/homeschooling books (of necessity) and several food/diet/health books... but fewer of those than in past years, which was a goal of mine.  

Nonfiction

The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: And Other Stories of Pioneering Brain Transformation, Barbara Arrowsmith-Young

When Listening Comes Alive, Paul Madaule

Awakening Ashley: Mozart Knocks Autism on Its Ear, Sharon Ruben

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science, Norman Doidge

Last Testament: In His Own Words, Pope Benedict XVI (with Peter Seewald)

The Cruise of the Arctic Star, Scott OĂ¢â‚¬â„¢Dell

Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget, Sarah Hepola

No Plot? No Problem!: A Low Stress, High Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days, Chris Baty

This is Your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behavior and Shape Society, Kathleen McAuliffe

How to Converse with God, St. Alphonsus Ligouri

A Little Way of Homeschooling, Suzie Andres (reread)

The Laws Guide to Drawing Birds, John Muir Laws

The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling, John Muir Laws

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, Siddhartha Mukherjee

Give Your Child the World: Raising Globally Minded Kids One Book at a Time, Jamie C. Martin

Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet, Elaine Gottschall (reread)

How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease, Michael Greger

33 Days to Merciful Love: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat in Preparation for Divine Mercy Consecration, Michael Gaitley

The Homegrown Preschooler: Teaching Your Kids in the Places They Live, Kathy H. Lee

Housekeeping vs. The Dirt, Nick Hornby

Food, Genes, and Culture: Eating Right for Your Origins, Gary Paul Nabhan

Managers of Their Homes, Steven and Teri Maxwell (reread)

Loose Parts: Inspiring Play in Young Children, Lisa Daly

84, Charing Cross Road, Helene Hanff

Smarter, Faster, Better: The Secrets of Being Productive in Life and in Business, Charles Duhigg

Shirt of Flame: A Year with St. Therese of Lisieux, Heather King

The Complete Book of Home Organization, Toni Hammersley

Healing Your Body Naturally After Childbirth, Jolene Brighten

100 Million Years of Food: What Our Ancestors Ate and Why It Matters Today, Stephen Le

Grain of Truth: The Real Case Against Wheat and Gluten, Stephen Yafa

Life From Scratch: A Memoir of Food, Family, and Forgiveness, Sasha Martin

On Immunity: An Inoculation, Eula Bissv

Life Among Savages, Shirley Jackson

Down Syndrome

Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected, Kelle Hampton

Down Syndrome Parenting 101: Must-Have Advice for Making Your Life Easier, Natalie Hale

The Shape of an Eye: A Memoir, George Estreich

Road Map to Holland, Jennifer Groneberg

An Uncomplicated Life: A FatherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Memoir of His Exceptional Daughter, Paul Daugherty

The ParentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Guide to Down Syndrome, Jen Jacob

Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives, Kathryn Lynard Soper

Babies with Down Syndrome: A New ParentsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Guide, Karen Stray-Gundersen

Fiction

Still Life (Inspector Gamache, #1), Louise Penny (mystery)

Circling the Sun, Paula McLain (historical)

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

The Woman in Cabin 10, Ruth Ware (thriller/mystery)

The Little World of Don Camillo, Giovanni Guareschi

Crooked Heart, Lissa Evans

Unusual Uses for Olive Oil (Prof. Von Iglefeld/Portugese Irregular Verbs #4), Alexander McCall Smith

The Rosie Project, Graeme Simsion

The Eagle Tree, Ned Hayes

Binti, Nnedi Okorafor (SFF)

Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2), Ann Leckie (SFF)

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1), Ann Leckie (SFF)

FoolĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Quest (Fitz and the Fool #2), Robin Hobb (SFF)

FoolĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Assassin (Fitz and the Fool, #1), Robin Hobb (SFF)

I also read nearly all Beverly ClearyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ramona and Henry Huggins books aloud to my kids over the summer.

Drama and Poetry

She Stoops to Conquer, Oliver Goldsmith (drama)

Pygmalion, George Bernard Shaw (drama)

Sonnets from the Portugese, Elizabeth Barrett Browning (poetry)

Cookbooks

Einkorn: Recipes for NatureĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Original Wheat, Carla Bartolucci

Sourdough: Recipes for Rustic Fermented Breads, Sweets, Savories, and More, Sarah Owens

The Healing Kitchen, Alaena Haber

• Like 17

Re: reading time... It's a baby year for me, so I can read more because I'm nursing. My biggest obstacle right now isn't TV but mobile devices. When I had no iPad and only an old phone with a broken screen, I virtually had to read a book. Now I have a habit of "quickly" checking various social media, mail, and/or blogs when I sit down, and of course "quickly" often somehow ends up filling all my time. So next year I am going to try to make myself a few rules about when I am allowed to pick up my device and where I am allowed to visit. (Facebook is the absolute kiss of death for my attention span.)

I'm also going to try to be a little more deliberate about my TBR piles. Researching special needs will continue, and I am hoping to keep up with my older kids' reading better, too. I want to read more substance... but to also allow a "whatever I want" slot before bed every night. And I'm going to give audio books while I cook dinner another shot. The only problem with that is that it's so loud in my house with 8 kids still at home and 6 of them boys that I often can't hear. [emoji849]

Hope everyone with colds/coughs feels better soon!

And thanks, Jane, for the good thoughts. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 16

As far as finding time to read, I've given up almost all television and much of my internet browsing. I'll binge watch shows like Game of Thrones or Westworld, but I'll go weeks without spending time in front of a tv.

I always have a book or my tablet with me so I can read on the go.

I need to read at least 30 minutes at night to shut down my brain before sleeping, but I prefer a full hour.

I have an audible subscription and listen to books or courses in the car or while I'm going for a walk.

Most of what others have said applies to me as well, especially what Erin said above.

I have a Kindle that goes everywhere with me. Sometimes I know I'll have time to read such as when I go to a doctor's appointment, but I sometimes find myself in a situation with unexpected time to kill. If it's always with me, I can always pick up a book.

I don't watch a lot of tv. Dh and I watch a few shows in the evening, but he works some nights, so we're not watching tv every night. I also try to limit my online time (to me that's harder than not watching tv). 

I can't fall asleep without reading at least a little bit. Usually it's about a half hour, but sometimes it's longer. Tonight's reading won't last very long because it's past 11 pm and here I am online. ;)

I listen to audiobooks from Audible. This is something fairly recent with me (the past few years). My mind would wander too much to listen to audio books. However, I found that if I listen while doing mindless work like folding laundry, chopping vegetables, etc. I can listen to a book. I can't do it while knitting or crocheting though because I either lose my place on my project or lose my place in the book. As long as the activity doesn't require concentration/attention, I can give my attention to the book.

My son is an only - not technically but my stepson was an adult when ds was born, so we only had one kid at at time. He's also 19 and attending community college while living at home so his need for mama is minimal to barely there. There were a few years when he was young and as yet undiagnosed/untreated for ADHD when I couldn't read. By the time my day with a very active young child was over, I was too tired to do much of anything, even reading. It can be easy to get out of the habit, but I found it easy to get back into it too.

I've always been a big reader, even when I was young. I'm the type who will read the back of the cereal box just so I have something to read. I think that makes a difference in how determined one is to carve out time to read.  I read to relax, dh watches tv to relax. Neither is better, just different. I think those of us who feel like we need to read, will find the time. For others it requires more work to carve out time.

Even though I'm a lifelong reader and almost always find time to read, I still noticed my reading increased when I got a Kindle. I was a holdout, swearing I'd never want to give up print books. Dh didn't listen to me and for once that was a good thing. :lol:  He bought me a Kindle for my birthday in 2011 and it's one of the best gifts anyone ever gave me. An ereader makes it so easy to read on the go imo.

Recently I discovered that making a list of books I want to read in a specific year is helpful. That's something else (along with ebooks) I resisted. I was adamant about wanting my reading to happen naturally. Unplanned. Yes, I had a TBR list, but no schedule. At the end of the year I'd always find there were books I meant to read but never got around to starting. A few years ago (inspired by people in BaW) I sat down and made a list of books to read that year and was surprised to find how helpful that was. Again, I kept it realistic for me. And I left enough wiggle room for book club books and new discoveries - there are always new discoveries when you hang around these threads. But I had a list of at least some books to read, and it made choosing my next book so much easier. I'm still working on my 2017 list.

I don't compare my reading to anyone else's. If I challenge myself to read 50 books and I see a friend's challenge is 100, I don't think, "Oh no, maybe I should try to read more." I make goals that are realistic for me. That means I read more books than some of my friends and fewer books than others. Both are okay. My reading goals are personal and non-competitive. 

• Like 16

My biggest obstacle right now isn't TV but mobile devices. When I had no iPad and only an old phone with a broken screen, I virtually had to read a book. Now I have a habit of "quickly" checking various social media, mail, and/or blogs when I sit down, and of course "quickly" often somehow ends up filling all my time. So next year I am going to try to make myself a few rules about when I am allowed to pick up my device and where I am allowed to visit. (Facebook is the absolute kiss of death for my attention span.)

Thanks to everyone who gave great ideas on how to fit more reading in. I think my biggest obstacle is like Angelabood's problem above...  my phone... I used to bring a book everywhere, but now even when I do, I'll check my phone 'for a minute' and then waste almost the whole time futzing around on it instead of reading my book...   also, I do not own an ereader.  My thinking is that I don't like reading on a screen, but considering what I just confessed, maybe I should reexamine that bias, lol...I do love the heft of a real book, though...

When I was more active, I would read a book on my tablet while working out on the elliptical. I'm hoping to get back into exercising soon. I finished books quickly when I had an hour dedicated to reading each day.

I have to LOL at this one, just because I have finally gotten back into exercising, but my exercise of choice is rowing and Pilates.  Neither are at all conducive to do while reading. :lol:

Wish youngest dd weren't so book-averse.  We go like molasses through books because I basically had to bargain with her to listen to them at all, and then it's only to go to certain places.

I set this year a goal I knew I could realisticly reach by december 31.

In my case it was 52 books, but 26 book can work too :)

I reactivated my goodreads account which makes logging so much easier especially when you are reading in multiple languages.

I read mostly for bedtime.

I've alway done that and it was therefore the easiest timeslot to be set to.

Negative side of it is that I'm often too tired to read in an other language then my mothertongue.

Some books get finished by limiting myself to 1-2 chapters per time and then read something else.

And it helps to pick something you will like to read.

So I mix happily easy romans with 'real' literature.

Congratulations on more than meeting your goal. I "think" the 2017 challenge will open on the first. I also vaguely remember receiving an email about it.

Matryoshka, Have you investigated belonging to a large library in your state just for the access to kindle books in foreign languages? Many German and Russian books have recently appeared on one of my libraries lists, some other languages also. As a resident of the state you may be given access for free. It's worked for a few BaWer's.

Also Goodreads can be a really good way to organize your reading. I used to read many books simultaneously and faithfully recorded my page number update every few days. It kept me on track because I could truly see where I was at. It also helped me manage my library deadlines, it didn't tell me (unfortunately) when it was due but did indicate when more time reading a particular book was needed to finish within three weeks at a glance. I have had a rough year and can only handle a book or two at a time. Sleep issues are a real problem and I only read fluffy during the night. Lots of fluff finished this year!

I am probably also watching too much TV - don't have cable, but do have a good antenna and Netflix.  I think the key is to find a daily time, as many of you suggest.  I think bedtime is bad for me... I'll fall asleep.  Maybe just set a goal for 30 min a day at first?  I need some outside accountability.  Tell me more about this Goodreads - I just make and account and set a goal?  That might be enough...  maybe try for 26 the first year?

Well I am darned impressed that you can read in three languages.  Envious too.

I have stayed away from the Dragon Tattoo books for the reason you mention.  But I love the mysteries by Icelandic author Arnaldur Indridason. 

Butterflies in November is a very quirky little Icelandic novel, fun if you are in the mood for a bit of random quirk.  I read the first two volumes of Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle last year.  I am actually a bit disappointed with myself for not reading another volume or two in '16.  I need to fix that.  Brilliant books, in my opinion, that have turned this Norwegian writer into a literary superstar.

Archipelago published a translated version of the Catalan classic Private Lives by Josep Maria de Sagarra which I read earlier in the year.  I have another Catalan translation in the stacks, Life Embitters by Joseph Pla.  Why don't you show the description to your daughter. If she is interested, I will mail her the book after I finish it--although I confess that it may take a couple of months before I crack it open.

Keeping up with reading in foreign languages is how I've kept fluent.   :)  And it makes my brain happy.  My brain needs food now that I'm not teaching the kids anymore.  Two in college and one DE.  Homeschooling was great brain food - I'm in withdrawal.

I think the Icelandic book I bought my dd was one of those Indridason ones... it was a mystery, at any rate. I'm pretty sure I can find those in German.  Knausgaard is Norwegian? Looked that book up.  Looks a bit Serious and Important - and 6 volumes?  Whoa.  But his middle name reminds me that I keep looking at a book called A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Swedish) - has anyone read that or any of his other books?

I'll ask dd about the Catalan books, but I have a feeling the stuff she has will keep her busy for a while.  If she ends up going to Barcelona for the summer (a possibility, which is why she first got interested), maybe that will kickstart her enough to read something longer.  I can understand a lot of CatalĂƒÂ¡n (confirmed by aforementioned TV show - dd and I were trying to watch it wish Spanish subtitles instead of English today ;) ) , but the spelling rules are sooo different I have a hard time reading it.  The same for Italian.  Weirdly I understand less spoken French but I've learned enough to be able to read passably in it.  I keep thinking maybe i should try to get better, since there's so much great French literature, but most of them are soooo looong.  So far all I've managed is The Stranger - that was nice and short.  Once you know one Latin language it's not a big jump to the others.  Sadly, Germanic languages are not quite as close and I don't seem to be able to puzzle those out as easily... (well, I think the North Germanic ones are closer to each other, but I don't speak any of those...)

About finding time for reading...I am not the prolific reader that lives here in the BaW threads, i.e. those reading over 100 books annually.  Because I am no longer homeschooling, I am able to surpass the book a week goal--but I really don't feel this should be a numbers competition since a stack of young adult novels can be read in the same amount of time required by Jane Eyre.  This is such an eclectic group--and more importantly a supportive group.  There are times in our lives when we turn to certain type of books for comfort or entertainment--and other times when we can face soul searching chunksters or experimental poetry. The general point is to read.

As a fiction reader, I have found the weekly challenge of reading a few chapters in one of Susan's history books to be good for me.  Next year we are reading her History of Science book. This is one way to stretching yourself if this is the type of book you do not normally pick up.

This is an awesome group.  My brain gets fed just reading what you all are doing, and I am inspired. :)

I do plan to alternate with some more comfort reading.  I don't find complete fluff (steamy romance, for example) comforting, but I do like some of those cozy type books.  I also like to alternate not just languages but fiction/nonfiction (this is why I'm geeking out about having found a possible nonfiction read in German...)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 15

Rose, I was going to suggest this book:

14347239.jpg

But once I looked it up, I realized...

A) I'm not even sure that's a real chicken on the cover

and

B) Whatever it is is singular, not plural, so it's definitely not chickenS on the cover. (Oh, wait. There's a weather vane w/ a chicken. So... maybe???)

:lol:

Matrysoshka, I too am impressed by your multi-language reading. One of my goals for 2016 was to plug my way through a Spanish book (because my Spanish is very, very rusty), but for various reasons & a very rough year, I didn't tackle it. Perhaps in 2017.

In case you are interested, a book I read this year was translated from Catalan: The Island of Last Truth by Flavia Company.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 16

Most of what others have said applies to me as well, especially what Erin said above.

I have a Kindle that goes everywhere with me. Sometimes I know I'll have time to read such as when I go to a doctor's appointment, but I sometimes find myself in a situation with unexpected time to kill. If it's always with me, I can always pick up a book.

I don't watch a lot of tv. Dh and I watch a few shows in the evening, but he works some nights, so we're not watching tv every night. I also try to limit my online time (to me that's harder than not watching tv). 

I can't fall asleep without reading at least a little bit. Usually it's about a half hour, but sometimes it's longer. Tonight's reading won't last very long because it's past 11 pm and here I am online. ;)

I listen to audiobooks from Audible. This is something fairly recent with me (the past few years). My mind would wander too much to listen to audio books. However, I found that if I listen while doing mindless work like folding laundry, chopping vegetables, etc. I can listen to a book. I can't do it while knitting or crocheting though because I either lose my place on my project or lose my place in the book. As long as the activity doesn't require concentration/attention, I can give my attention to the book.

My son is an only - not technically but my stepson was an adult when ds was born, so we only had one kid at at time. He's also 19 and attending community college while living at home so his need for mama is minimal to barely there. There were a few years when he was young and as yet undiagnosed/untreated for ADHD when I couldn't read. By the time my day with a very active young child was over, I was too tired to do much of anything, even reading. It can be easy to get out of the habit, but I found it easy to get back into it too.

I've always been a big reader, even when I was young. I'm the type who will read the back of the cereal box just so I have something to read. I think that makes a difference in how determined one is to carve out time to read.  I read to relax, dh watches tv to relax. Neither is better, just different. I think those of us who feel like we need to read, will find the time. For others it requires more work to carve out time.

Even though I'm a lifelong reader and almost always find time to read, I still noticed my reading increased when I got a Kindle. I was a holdout, swearing I'd never want to give up print books. Dh didn't listen to me and for once that was a good thing. :lol:  He bought me a Kindle for my birthday in 2011 and it's one of the best gifts anyone ever gave me. An ereader makes it so easy to read on the go imo.

Recently I discovered that making a list of books I want to read in a specific year is helpful. That's something else (along with ebooks) I resisted. I was adamant about wanting my reading to happen naturally. Unplanned. Yes, I had a TBR list, but no schedule. At the end of the year I'd always find there were books I meant to read but never got around to starting. A few years ago (inspired by people in BaW) I sat down and made a list of books to read that year and was surprised to find how helpful that was. Again, I kept it realistic for me. And I left enough wiggle room for book club books and new discoveries - there are always new discoveries when you hang around these threads. But I had a list of at least some books to read, and it made choosing my next book so much easier. I'm still working on my 2017 list.

I don't compare my reading to anyone else's. If I challenge myself to read 50 books and I see a friend's challenge is 100, I don't think, "Oh no, maybe I should try to read more." I make goals that are realistic for me. That means I read more books than some of my friends and fewer books than others. Both are okay. My reading goals are personal and non-competitive. 

I think you were posting while I was writing the other response.   :)  Hmmmm... I may have to rethink my snobby attitude toward e-readers. :tongue_smilie:  Technically I think I could get an app on my phone, which is fairly large - but should I think about maybe getting one of those with paperwhite instead?  What do you guys prefer?  Is it better to have a separate device, or is it easier to keep it on one device?

You also have me thinking about Audible.  That I can get on my phone, right?  I couldn't use it while working out (because rowing), and I don't like to be plugged in when I take a walk... but I might see myself listening to it while making dinner or doing housework.  I actually tend to avoid those things because they're boring - I sometimes find I can do them more easily if I'm talking on the phone (I suspect I might be a bit ADDish) - maybe it could actually make me do more work around the house, lol...

And I do think I need to make a list.  Never done that before!  Working on one now.   :D

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 14

How many books did you read and did you meet or beat your own personal goal?  Or did you get caught up in reading and forget to keep track like me?  *grin*  

I should have 80 by the end of the year. I do not feel like I read as much as I wanted to this year, not as much poetry as I wanted and not as many literary magazines as I wanted, and the idea that loving Metaphors We Live By in 2015 might mean I'd like to return to linguistics was just wrong. I didn't make it through a single linguistics book.

OTOH, I finally read the LOtR trilogy and Dune and finished the Narnia series and the Divine Comedy. So - check, check, check, check.

What countries and time periods did you visit?

Like many, I was taken to various time periods from the ancients (Cave Canem) to the future (Dune) and lots in between. Countries - I read a lot of American literature this year, but there is also work from Italy, Lebanon, England, Argentina, Colombia, Germany, Canada, Algeria, Iceland, Japan and Australia, and my current read brings me to Austria.

What were your most favorite stories?   Any stories that stayed with you a long time,  left you wanting more or needed to digest for a while before starting another?   Which books became comfort reads.

I loved We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and Born Standing Up. Gutshot did not get a particularly high GR rating from me, just three stars, because the lack of plot and character meant the stories didn't pull me in emotionally, but it was certainly one of the most interesting books of this year, and I think about it from time to time. There were many stories in Collected Stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez that, imo, weren't very good, didn't even seem like finished stories, but "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" was perfect.

The Book of Merlyn was definitely a comfort read.

Please share a favorite cover or quote.

22237153.jpg     21920805.jpg     27135336.jpg

Here are some stats:

Library: 41, Dusty: 7, Re-reads: 5

Audiobooks: 17, Kindle: 1

Nonfiction: 24, Plays: 3, Poetry: 9

Female Author: 27 (34%), Male Author: 48 (60%) (and some anthologies with both)

Translated: 14

Edited by crstarlette
  • Like 16