Menu

I guess we see why they call it "Blistex" :(

RegGuheert

DS17 had chapped lips yesterday and MomsintheGarden got out some "Blistex SPF15 Fruit Smoothies Strawberry Banana Lip Protectant/Sunscreen" for him to use.

It didn't go well.

He got a rash on his lips and has been miserable ever since (it has been about 16 hours now).  I suppose he is having a reaction to the sunscreen ingredients, which are listed as:

Octinoxate 7.5%

Oxybenzone 2.5%

It also lists the following as a "Lip Protectant":

Dimethicone 1.0%

He showered before bed last night to try to get rid of the pain, but he awoke not feeling any better.  I think he his licking is lips a lot now, which is likely making things worse.

Is there something he can do to get relief, or does he simply need to wait this one out?

it sounds like it's probably an allergic reaction - and the allergy could be to an 'inactive' ingredient.  I have some of these, which I've found aren't as effective as the 'regular' blistex.  there are  more ingredients than what you listed.

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (2% w/w) (Skin Protectant), Octinoxate (7.5% w/w) (Sunscreen), Oxybenzone (2.5% w/w) (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Bis PEG 12 Dimethicone Beeswax, Butylparaben, C20 40 Pareth 3, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Extract, Ethylparaben, Flavor, Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Hydroxylated Milk Glycerides, Isopropyl Myristate, Myristyl Myristate, Ozokerite, Panthenol, Pantothenic Acid Polypeptide, Polybutene, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylparaben, Water (Purified), Retinyl Palmitate Polypeptide, Silica, Sodium Saccharin, Squalane, Sucralose, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Titanium Dioxide, Tridecyl Neopentanoate, Triisononanoin, May Contain (+/-):

I have things I can't have becasue of an inactive ingredient.

good luck

• Like 3

Any flavored lip balms give me horrible rashes on my lips but the plain stuff can help when I get really chapped lips, so I know it's not the active ingredients.

If you have any healing balms with calendula in it, that can help. Otherwise, any plain lip balm with oils and beeswax may help protect the lips of he feels like licking to sooth them. Coconut oil can help a little but I find something blended with beeswax to be a better protective layer. Or the petroleum jelly is a protectant but not something we ever have.

It may be a wait it out issue, that is my usual approach. Motrin or even Benadryl may help some of it really stings and definitely try to protect them from additional licking. Also be sure to drink plenty of water, chapped lips in winter is often due reduced water intake and the dry air.

• Like 5

Thanks to all for the very helpful suggestions!

DS17 put the coconut oil on this morning and he said it seemed to help a little. But we've been doing Christmas all day, so he's been distracted.

We will revisit this tomorrow morning and perhaps try other suggestions depending on how things are going.

• Like 2

I get a rash if I use chemical sunblocks. I mistakenly used a lip balm with some and they peeled and scaled like crazy! The good thing is that lip skin regenerates pretty quickly, so it didn't last long. Something nice and thick like Lansinoh or Honest Baby Healing Balm work well for me overnight.

• Like 2

DS17 had chapped lips yesterday and MomsintheGarden got out some "Blistex SPF15 Fruit Smoothies Strawberry Banana Lip Protectant/Sunscreen" for him to use.

It didn't go well.

He got a rash on his lips and has been miserable ever since (it has been about 16 hours now). I suppose he is having a reaction to the sunscreen ingredients, which are listed as:

Octinoxate 7.5%

Oxybenzone 2.5%

It also lists the following as a "Lip Protectant":

Dimethicone 1.0%

He showered before bed last night to try to get rid of the pain, but he awoke not feeling any better. I think he his licking is lips a lot now, which is likely making things worse.

Is there something he can do to get relief, or does he simply need to wait this one out?

I have a reaction to many lip balms. The burts bees one is ok, also pawpaw ointment or Vaseline are ok.

• Like 2

Two of my DDs and I get blistering rashes from many lip balms, especially ones with sunscreens. I react badly to most lip balms and lipsticks, including the 99-100% natural brands from the health food stores.

When it is really bad, original Carmex in the round pot is the only one we can tolerate.

EOS is OK for my girls, as long as they aren't already chapped. They seem to have bad reactions when their lips are already chapped.

• Like 1