Menu

Amazon FAIL

Perogi

I am LIVID. 

I had a package that was supposed to arrive Dec 20.  When it didn't I thought for sure it would in the next day or two.  When it still didn't arrive by Dec 22 I contacted customer service.  I was told that the package was "lost in the mail" and they would issue a replacement but it would not arrive before Christmas.  I pushed and spoke to a supervisor and was told it would be sent overnight to arrive yesterday, Dec 23. 

When it wasn't here by 6pm I contacted customer service again and was assured it would arrive by 8:30pm. 

When it wasn't here by 9pm I contacted customer service again and was assured that it would arrive today.  I questioned mulitple times how certain this was and pointed out that I had already been told it would arrive and it didn't.  I made clear that it contained Christmas gifts and that I would need to replace them if the package was not going to arrive. 

Twice I was offered a $5 promo for my trouble.

Today: no package.

I called customer service again and was told that ALL THREE TIMES that I talked to customer service reps in the past couple of days they were lying.  Just flat out lying.  No replacement was ever issued. 

Today a replacement was finally issued - I can see it on my account and got an email outlining everything.  Nothing is to be expected to arrive until Dec 27-30.  One item was out of stock and will come later than that and another is out of stock and had to simply be refunded.

I was offered half of my order as a credit on my acount.  I asked about the two other $5 promos and was told only 1 is on my account.

I'm simply baffled.  How can it be that three separate reps would confirm that a replacement was sent and would be delivered on time??  I just don't understand it at all.  Unless it was a direction from management?  Just placate people for now??  I don't know.  It's so so so bizarre to me.  And left me scrambling at 1pm today to pick up gifts to replace those which will not arrive. 

What an epic fail, Amazon.

• Like 1

That's amazing.

I never get the resolution I'm looking for when I chat Amazon -- but mostly because there is nothing they can do about things not arriving when they've been promised. I usually get offered a replacement (but I'll have to send back the original when it comes) or extension on my Prime. 

They always lie & say the item will arrive that night - even when it is OBVIOUS that it won't. (I just had that happen yesterday, although I didn't contact them because I knew they would lie. This afternoon, UPS finally admitted the 'next day air' package wouldn't arrive until Tuesday even though it shipped out Wed night.)

That's horrible! :( 

When I've needed replacements, I have always been told to order a new item and message them the item number. I do this while I'm still chatting with them. They then issue me a credit and cover the cost of the item and expedited shipping. If your account doesn't show a new order (whether created by you or by them), then one hasn't been made. 

• Like 1

Ugh. That's awful!

Every time I've had an issue, they've had me order another item, and they reimburse the charges and pay for overnight shipping if it's time sensitive. Several times they've simply sent a replacement free of charge.

I am stunned by your experience. That's just rotten.

I hope you found gifts that will work for tomorrow!

• Like 2

I've had packages mis-delivered since amazon started delivering using the USPS. Anything that goes UPS is fine. It's the USPS that's the issue (no shock). 

What you can do, though obviously it's late, is ask your local post office for the coordinates where the packaged was delivered. There's a website you can enter them into, and the website will map the location. So if, for instance, the postal worker was in their truck/car when they scanned it for delivery, you'll at least know it went to one side or other of the road at that spot. 

We had a package mis-delivered by a postal worker sub, and the person who got it just sat on it, not bothering to call, even though I lived up the road just a few hundred feet. That scanning of the package and the coordinates was how we found it. I guess some unscrupulous people would open the package, but it's just as possible it's sitting on their table with them wondering what to do, lol. If you could get those scan coordinates, you could probably get it Monday. Too late for Christmas, but something.

• Like 2

That's amazing.

I never get the resolution I'm looking for when I chat Amazon -- but mostly because there is nothing they can do about things not arriving when they've been promised. I usually get offered a replacement (but I'll have to send back the original when it comes) or extension on my Prime.

They always lie & say the item will arrive that night - even when it is OBVIOUS that it won't. (I just had that happen yesterday, although I didn't contact them because I knew they would lie. This afternoon, UPS finally admitted the 'next day air' package wouldn't arrive until Tuesday even though it shipped out Wed night.)

I completely understand if they just can't make a delivery happen and acknowledge/apologize. But...why promise me something that isn't even on the radar for coming?! It totally baffles me that the lie was continued and built upon by each rep.

That's horrible! :(

When I've needed replacements, I have always been told to order a new item and message them the item number. I do this while I'm still chatting with them. They then issue me a credit and cover the cost of the item and expedited shipping. If your account doesn't show a new order (whether created by you or by them), then one hasn't been made. [/quote

Yes, apparently. I didn't realize I would need to see it on my account if it was so. I thought it was just an internal change when I didn't see anything.

Ugh. That's awful!

Every time I've had an issue, they've had me order another item, and they reimburse the charges and pay for overnight shipping if it's time sensitive. Several times they've simply sent a replacement free of charge.

I am stunned by your experience. That's just rotten.

I hope you found gifts that will work for tomorrow!

Isn't it stunning?? That's it exactly. It's not just bad customer service it's so strange.

Thankfully my kids are older so they'll understand. I did have to run into the mall today to get something for my littlest because his gift can't even be sent now - it's out of stocks.

• Like 1

OP I suggest that you write a short, polite and courteous email to jeff@amazon.com   Include the Order Numbers and document when you called them and what you were told.  Hopefully they will prevent their people from lying to customers in the future. I doubt that came from Jeff or his top management people.  Again,  send an email to Jeff AT amazon.com    I suspect they will offer you more than a $5 credit and that they will apologize to you, but that is not going to put that present under your Xmas Tree this morning.    I wrote to jeff one time (August 2016) and they made us happy with their solution.  That was not Xmas, so I hope they can do something that will make you happier.  Someone on Jeff's staff will reply to you.  

• Like 4

I recently had a problem with an order from Amazon that I had to contact customer service multiple times. I was pleased with Amazon's response each time, even though it didn't help with the delivery of the package. Each time I called, they emailed me the resolution and had me verify that I received the emailed and agreed with the contents. Did you get an email each time you called that basically outlined your conversation?

Eta: So sorry that you didn't get the package that you were expecting in time for Christmas. What a hassle!

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1

I think Amazon hires the same people who work for insurance companies. They are just paid to be incompetent and tell lies.

Sorry this happened.

you will find these types in customer service in almost every single industry.  I've a friend who worked customer service for an airline - she would watch a particular coworker do this to people.  their supervisors fired her twice - and the union forced the airline to rehire her both times.   when she was caught doing something extremely egregious (she was supposedly working from home and was logged onto her phone for customers to be directed to her.  she wasn't answering the phone.  so each of those customers was not being helped at all, unless they called back.)   - they jumped on the opportunity to fire her a third time - and make it stick.

I completely understand if they just can't make a delivery happen and acknowledge/apologize. But...why promise me something that isn't even on the radar for coming?! It totally baffles me that the lie was continued and built upon by each rep.

path of least resistance.  they don't want to deal  with an upset customer - so they lie and tell them they can fix it.  whether they have the authority, or know how or not.

• Like 1

you will find these types in customer service in almost every single industry. I've a friend who worked customer service for an airline - she would watch a particular coworker do this to people. their supervisors fired her twice - and the union forced the airline to rehire her both times. when she was caught doing something extremely egregious (she was supposedly working from home and was logged onto her phone for customers to be directed to her. she wasn't answering the phone. so each of those customers was not being helped at all, unless they called back.) - they jumped on the opportunity to fire her a third time - and make it stick.

path of least resistance. they don't want to deal with an upset customer - so they lie and tell them they can fix it. whether they have the authority, or know how or not.

That is something that should be caught by their supervisor and fixed though (although Union problems would be another matter.). A company should discipline a support agent who regularly life to the customers. Although it could depend on the priority of the company.... If they are more worried about keeping their call times down.......

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

That is something that should be caught by their supervisor and fixed though (although Union problems would be another matter.). A company should discipline a support agent who regularly life to the customers. Although it could depend on the priority of the company.... If they are more worried about keeping their call times down.......

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

when an employee does not respond to retraining, when it is a repeating pattern, the only option left is to fire them.  this woman had many chances.  the only reason she was still working there was the union.

• Like 1

As someone who worked for a union for many years, the good thing is that if someone goes through a rough patch the union keeps them from being fired for just being difficult to be around, often these people shape up when their divorce or health problems or whatever get better, and it's great to work with the same people for years. But you MUST have supervisors who document really bad behavior and do paperwork to get people fired who are not doing a good job. 

OP I suggest that you write a short, polite and courteous email to [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>   Include the Order Numbers and document when you called them and what you were told.  Hopefully they will prevent their people from lying to customers in the future. I doubt that came from Jeff or his top management people.  Again,  send an email to Jeff AT amazon.com    I suspect they will offer you more than a $5 credit and that they will apologize to you, but that is not going to put that present under your Xmas Tree this morning.    I wrote to jeff one time (August 2016) and they made us happy with their solution.  That was not Xmas, so I hope they can do something that will make you happier.  Someone on Jeff's staff will reply to you.  

I second this suggestion. I've had to do it once and got a VERY prompt response and a resolution. Sometimes customer service just can't fix a situation the way we'd like (i.e. getting replacements in time). But there is NEVER any excuse for deliberately jerking customers around and lying to them. I would think that upper management of a company that prides itself on good service would absolutely want to know. If you do try this, would you please update us? We're big Amazon shoppers. I would love to know what the final outcome is. Sorry the reps did this to you.

OP I suggest that you write a short, polite and courteous email to [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>   Include the Order Numbers and document when you called them and what you were told.  Hopefully they will prevent their people from lying to customers in the future. I doubt that came from Jeff or his top management people.  Again,  send an email to Jeff AT amazon.com    I suspect they will offer you more than a $5 credit and that they will apologize to you, but that is not going to put that present under your Xmas Tree this morning.    I wrote to jeff one time (August 2016) and they made us happy with their solution.  That was not Xmas, so I hope they can do something that will make you happier.  Someone on Jeff's staff will reply to you.  

Do you have any idea if this would be an appropriate path for Amazon in Canada as well?

The rep I talked to at the end sent me an email saying that she had passed on the names of those involved to their supervisors but that's it so far.

She did credit me half the purchase price of our order as compensation.  I'm still a little skeptical though because that doesn't show up on my account anywhere - she said it will when I order something....

I recently had a problem with an order from Amazon that I had to contact customer service multiple times. I was pleased with Amazon's response each time, even though it didn't help with the delivery of the package. Each time I called, they emailed me the resolution and had me verify that I received the emailed and agreed with the contents. Did you get an email each time you called that basically outlined your conversation?

Eta: So sorry that you didn't get the package that you were expecting in time for Christmas. What a hassle!

No, I did not receive an email the first 3 times.  I did check a box that allowed the transcript of our conversation to be emailed to me, so I have that (instant chat).  I received an email from the final call that seemed to be the most honest - admitted we wouldn't have the items, created a new order that I can see on my account.

you will find these types in customer service in almost every single industry.  I've a friend who worked customer service for an airline - she would watch a particular coworker do this to people.  their supervisors fired her twice - and the union forced the airline to rehire her both times.   when she was caught doing something extremely egregious (she was supposedly working from home and was logged onto her phone for customers to be directed to her.  she wasn't answering the phone.  so each of those customers was not being helped at all, unless they called back.)   - they jumped on the opportunity to fire her a third time - and make it stick.

path of least resistance.  they don't want to deal  with an upset customer - so they lie and tell them they can fix it.  whether they have the authority, or know how or not.

Path of least resistance I understand to a certain degree.  I guess I'm just shocked that it woud happen 3 times in a row.  Not just one "bad" rep.  And right up until the afternoon of Christmas day.  It makes me suspicious that it was the line they were told to give so people wouldn't cancel orders and/or shop elsewhere.

I second this suggestion. I've had to do it once and got a VERY prompt response and a resolution. Sometimes customer service just can't fix a situation the way we'd like (i.e. getting replacements in time). But there is NEVER any excuse for deliberately jerking customers around and lying to them. I would think that upper management of a company that prides itself on good service would absolutely want to know. If you do try this, would you please update us? We're big Amazon shoppers. I would love to know what the final outcome is. Sorry the reps did this to you.

That's exactly what I think - no excuse for lies.  That's much more upsetting than not receiving the package I expected.  I understand that mail delays/losses sometimes happen and it just is what it is.  The lying is inexcusable.