Menu

Not a "would you eat this" thread...

mellifera33

Because nobody in their right mind would eat it. This is a "my SIL already ate this and what are her chances of surviving unscathed" thread.

Yesterday SIL was watching our kids while we did some work, and before she left, she mentioned, "Oh, I hope you don't mind that I ate some of the soup that was in your fridge. It was delicious!" I had no idea what she was talking about, until she showed me the container of turkey tortellini soup, pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten. I made that soup the day after Thanksgiving. And she ate it yesterday. I am waiting for BIL to call to tell us that she has just been rushed to the hospital with horrible food poisoning. The only positive thing I can think of is that she brought it to a full boil on the stove before she ate it. But toxins...ugh. My neice joked that they won't blame me if she dies, but I am actually concerned that it is a possibility! None of my dh's family is worried--apparently they grew up eating old food and never washing their hands ever, and they feel invincible.

Is there any chance that SIL is not going to have the worst Christmas ever?

Honestly the chances of food poisoning are still pretty small. I mean, I wouldn't have eaten it because a "pretty small" risk is still unacceptably high for me, but she has a pretty good chance of not being deathly ill. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. 

• Like 3

People are so different!

I get squeamish just reading that and the person who ate it doesn't care!

At a potluck my plate of cookies got knocked to the floor. I was going to throw them out and everyone insisted they get put back on the table. I put a note on the plate about the mishap and everyone thought that it was funny I thought anyone would care because apparently "dirt don't hurt"!

• Like 3

If it smelled fine, it was fine. I think botulism is the only Bactria that Can grow without visible signs of growth and then only in an absence of oxygen, like in canned stuff. She probably only got some helpful to the digestive tract microbes, which she killed by boiling. I would probably have eaten it too. Dh is the person in our immediate family terrified of food, and he's the one with frequent stomach issues. The rest of us people have great GI tracts :)

• Like 2

If the soup was from Canadian Thanksgiving, in October, I'd really freak out. It's only been a few weeks, and maybe pushed to the back of the fridge it's extra cold back there.

That was my first thought. "But Thanksgiving was in October!" Not that there couldn't have been things in my fridge like that. It just made the story extra gruesome!
  • Like 1

Dangerous microbes can't grow if they weren't present to begin with. The truth is that soup properly cooked and then stored in the fridge for a month would probably be safe to eat 90% of the time. We take extra care with our food because we don't want to get sick from, say, 1/10 of our meals.

• Like 2