Menu

What is Singapore's Middle School math called? Pre-algebra, etc.

pocjets

I'm trying to decide if I want to stay with Saxon for the rest of my daughter's math education. What is the name of singapore's pre-algebra and do you like it for the middle school grades? If you switch from Singapore after 6B, what do you use instead?

Edited by pocjets

There are a few options. Math in Focus course 1-3 is for grades 6-8. It is based on the newest syllabus and is very homeschool friendly. You can buy it at Rainbow Resource, CBD, etc. There are also New Elementary Math (7-8) and Dimensions Math (6-8) that can be bought at singaporemath.com.

I would definitely look at samples before switching. Saxon is very different in how it words problems and what it focuses on. The application problems in Singapore are very hard and the skills have been worked up to over the years. It's probably not easy to just switch into.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

There are a few options. Math in Focus course 1-3 is for grades 6-8. It is based on the newest syllabus and is very homeschool friendly. You can buy it at Rainbow Resource, CBD, etc. There are also New Elementary Math (7-8) and Dimensions Math (6-8) that can be bought at singaporemath.com.

I would definitely look at samples before switching. Saxon is very different in how it words problems and what it focuses on. The application problems in Singapore are very hard and the skills have been worked up to over the years. It's probably not easy to just switch into.

Ok. Great. Thanks for the information. I will take a look at Math in Focus but will be sure to REALLY look at it. I appreciate it.