Menu

Landry Academy Financial Problems?

speedmom4

Hello!

I'm hoping someone has some answers about what is going on at Landry Academy. 

My boys are enrolled in several classes currently and we received a disturbing letter from their English teacher saying that she is stepping down immediately. She claims that Landry quit paying teachers in November and their December paycheck was only 20% of what it should have been. She also mentioned that registration is closed.

I am really freaking out! I currently have 70 generic semesters and have spent thousands of $s on future classes!

Anyone know anything???

Elise in NC

• Like 2

One of DD's classmates stated on the last day of class just a couple of weeks ago that suddenly one of her teachers had left Landry Academy and would no longer be teaching any of the classes she was signed up for in the Spring.  The girl was wondering what she could fill her schedule with instead.  I thought it was just an isolated incident.

Perhaps Landry sold too many generics at too low a price too far out and now there is not enough money coming in to actually run the school...

• Like 1

Oh wow!  I was concerned this summer.  Landry has had opportunities for group buys in the past, but the last one seemed different, somehow. I bought a couple generics then anyway.  Thankfully, I don't have too many generic semesters sitting in my account, but my daughter is in a year-long class now and is registered for a spring class as well as an intensive. I can find another class for the spring one, but she's half-way through chemistry.  I really didn't want to teach chemistry. Landry's Facebook page has similar "rumors."  With the holidays, it may be January before we know anything.  I'm praying that everything is okay.

I don't know anything either, but my son's German teacher has also resigned, along with quite a few other teachers. I am also concerned because of all the generics I have banked. I wish Landry would issue a statement of some kind.

Who was the teacher? My daughter us training German but I hadn't heard anything different about teachers for next semester...

I don't know anything either, but my son's German teacher has also resigned, along with quite a few other teachers. I am also concerned because of all the generics I have banked. I wish Landry would issue a statement of some kind.

Which teacher?  My ds just had an email from his teacher, last test was graded, and this is very disconcerting!!  

I will say his other teacher hasn't done anything since Nov....went on a trip and they pretty much had no work the last half of the class.  I do know his German teacher cut back on work saying Landry told her to...but like I said, she emailed just a few days ago.  

I just bought a bunch of credits.  I would be so sad to lose their services.  

I went to their Facebook page and apparently they had about 40K followers there? If so, it was  a huge operation.  If they have ceased operations (permanently or temporarily) if anyone has paid them, recently, with a Credit Card, possibly calling the bank that issued the Credit Card would help in getting some $ back.  If there is some kind of fraud involved, then contacting the Attorney General of the state they were based in might get the A.G. to look into what is going on.  If they were selling things at too good to be true prices, it might have been some kind of criminal scheme that led to this.  Or, someone may have embezzled $ from them and they cannot pay their bills and continue in operation. Possibly they will go into Bankruptcy and continue to operate, if it is because of a financial crisis. Many possibilities...

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 6

Our German teacher is Mrs. Keeter. This is a copy of the email we received last night:

I have enjoyed teaching you in German I this semester! Your grades for the fall semester are now complete and ready for you to view. Your lowest test score and your lowest homework score have been dropped.

For family and health reasons, I will not be returning as your teacher in the spring. I trust that there will be a replacement teacher for my classes. If you have questions regarding credits or the spring semester, please contact enrollment.

I wish you a restful break and a very merry Christmas!

In Christus,

Frau Keeter

Ok I just re-read the email from our German teacher. She said this semester grade was done and if we wanted grades done by semester then print it now. I don't see that as a warning she's gone, but now you all have me worried!!!

I always get this email after classes. Something about if you want a detailed grade report to save it and print now. After a month of only have access to the final grade and not a detailed report. So that email is standard and I receive it after all our classes.

But now I'm worried because we are taking a class in the spring and I have several generics!

I found a Landry FB group that is public and I requested to join.  You can read through a current post about which teachers have left and it is for money issues.  No one really knows what is going on.  This group is the first I had heard of issues.  I wish Landry could post something to assure current generic holders, but with the holidays I doubt we will get anything.  I have no indication my kids full year class teachers have quit, but only 1 has said semester grades are done.  I went ahead and printed out what is posted.  Frustrating to have to wait to find out the situation!!  I just bought a bunch more credits this fall as well.  I hope they get it worked out...telling DH I wasted money won't go over well at all. 

• Like 1

My sons are in English IV and it is a full year class.  Their teacher, Mrs. Bontrager has resigned. I have no idea what is going to happen. I have 70 generic semesters. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. My boys are taking 5 full year Landry classes this year. I am printing out all of their syllabi so that I can continue their studies if I have to. I'm very worried at this point. I am not prepared to teach high school level classes or to lose close to $5000. 

I hope we hear something from Greg Landry ASAP.

• Like 1

My sons are in English IV and it is a full year class.  Their teacher, Mrs. Bontrager has resigned. I have no idea what is going to happen. I have 70 generic semesters. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. My boys are taking 5 full year Landry classes this year. I am printing out all of their syllabi so that I can continue their studies if I have to. I'm very worried at this point. I am not prepared to teach high school level classes or to lose close to $5000. 

I hope we hear something from Greg Landry ASAP.

Did you get official notice of this or is it just word of mouth?  My daughter is in one of her classes and we heard nothing that she is leaving.

That's very sad. I hope that they can honorably get this figured out.

I interviewed with them at one point and actually felt uneasy about their financial model to the point that I was relieved when they hired someone else. I was beginning to think it wasn't the place for me.

I'm sorry to hear that folks here have $$$ on the line.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 4

Did you get official notice of this or is it just word of mouth?  My daughter is in one of her classes and we heard nothing that she is leaving.

Yes, she emailed everyone in our English IV class. I have no idea if she will be leaving her other classes but it is official for us. Very sad. She is a fantastic teacher. 

Yes, she emailed everyone in our English IV class. I have no idea if she will be leaving her other classes but it is official for us. Very sad. She is a fantastic teacher. 

Weird, my daughter is in English IV.  We got the notice about grades being finalized but that was the generic one that all classes send out when they are completed but nothing personal.  They've lost so many good teachers, it's sad to see them go.  I sure hope they come up with someone because I really don't want to pick up teaching midsemester.

Weird, my daughter is in English IV.  We got the notice about grades being finalized but that was the generic one that all classes send out when they are completed but nothing personal.  They've lost so many good teachers, it's sad to see them go.  I sure hope they come up with someone because I really don't want to pick up teaching midsemester.

Is your daughter in Mrs. Bontrager's class? 

• Like 1

It is interesting to read their FAQ in light of these questions. For example:

For generic registrations, we offer a 75% refund or will issue a 100% school credit anytime - it does not expire.

Also, 

Do you close registration for online classes on a specific date?
Registration closes when classes fill or approximately one week before classes begin, whichever comes first. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.

DS14 is enrolled in two year long classes. I have received a grade from one teacher with a mention of the upcoming spring class.  The other I have not heard anything from, but know he was busy the last few weeks, and it is the holidays. 

While I am also concerned and have purchased generics for DS to use all through high school, I am confident that when Greg Landry is able to comment, he will.

Let's will lift Greg Landry, the Landry Academy staff, and all of the Landry families in prayer.  This  situation is unfortunate, and communication is lacking, but let's extend some grace over this holiday season and wait for a few weeks for more details. They will come.  I know it is difficult mid year and we have to plan, but right now there is little we can do but pray, and trust.  :grouphug:

Edited by blessed3x
  • Like 4

My children have loved several Landry classes. I agree, I hope everything smooths out. No one at Landry has ever given me reason to doubt their motives or think them irresponsible in the past. I am hopeful that they will be able to deal with whatever the issues may be and will give more information after the Holidays.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 4

It does not sound like a Ponzi scheme, because people were receiving services.  Their financial model seems to have depended upon, at least in part, people paying them, in advance, for future services, at discounted prices. It may be the result of "Cash flow" problems.  It may be the result of embezzlement. It may be the result of a company with bad management.  I have not read all of the responses to this thread, but at least one has USD $5K involved.  With that kind of money, I would suggest writing to the Attorney General of the state where Landry Academy is based.  

• Like 2

Their web site says they are located in TN.  If I had sent them funds, for things I had not received services for, I would write a letter to the TN    Attorney General.  

I appreciate you trying to help Lanny.  I do want to point out that we don't yet know if services will not be provided.  The school itself does not appear to be closing since some teachers/classes seem to still be continuing in the Spring.  They may be having to replace a few teachers mid-term but that doesn't mean that existing classes that are on break will not continue.  Classes are not scheduled to resume until the week of January 7th.  That gives them some time to find replacements.  

I do know certain Spring semester only classes were cancelled because certain teachers have resigned but it isn't all classes as far as I can tell.  If, for the classes that were cancelled, the school allows the students affected to shift to other classes at no additional charge or allows them to convert their class to a generic credit for use at a later date then I don't think writing the AG would be warranted.

The bottom line is that I am glad the thread got started and people are aware that there may be an issue so we can be prepared but I personally do not want to jump the gun and harm the school based on hearsay and panic.  DD and DS have taken classes through Landry for years.  Most of them have been quite worthwhile.  I hope that whatever is happening with be worked out successfully.  Before people start calling AGs or doing anything else along those lines I would like to give Greg Landry a chance to fix whatever got broken, if anything.  I don't know about anyone else but I absolutely want to give the school a chance to keep going.

Best wishes.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 6

Their web site says they are located in TN. If I had sent them funds, for things I had not received services for, I would write a letter to the TN Attorney General.

As of this moment, no one has not received services. There is some confusion about the deadline to sign up for spring classes because the email date was much earlier than the website date. Some teachers have left, but most (the vast majority) have not and have posted semester grades and sent the standard end of semester email. T has even gotten a couple of Christmas greetings that mention next semester from teachers.

There may be a time to write to the TN AG but not yet. That would just add to their troubles and might be the final straw.

Landry has been an excellent provider for at least the last 3 years. T has done 26 semesters with them and NONE of them was a dud. Some have been true gems. That's an impressive track record.

• Like 2

As of this moment, no one has not received services. There is some confusion about the deadline to sign up for spring classes because the email date was much earlier than the website date. Some teachers have left, but most (the vast majority) have not and have posted semester grades and sent the standard end of semester email. T has even gotten a couple of Christmas greetings that mention next semester from teachers.

There may be a time to write to the TN AG but not yet. That would just add to their troubles and might be the final straw.

Landry has been an excellent provider for at least the last 3 years. T has done 26 semesters with them and NONE of them was a dud. Some have been true gems. That's an impressive track record.

100% agree. We've had great experiences with Landry and are confident we will in the future. I'm not burying my head in the sand, but so far my kids classes are going on as scheduled and I'll be on the lookout for communication from Landry.

• Like 4

Sounds like something went terribly wrong, recently.  And, that before that, things were running quite smoothly. Hopefully, they will let the parents know, via a mass email, what is going on.  If I had USD $5K with them, I would be *very* concerned, based on what some  people in this thread reported.  If I did not have any $ with them, I would just keep my fingers crossed and hope that they get things fixed ASAP.

• Like 1

I appreciate you trying to help Lanny.  I do want to point out that we don't yet know if services will not be provided.  The school itself does not appear to be closing since some teachers/classes seem to still be continuing in the Spring.  They may be having to replace a few teachers mid-term but that doesn't mean that existing classes that are on break will not continue.  Classes are not scheduled to resume until the week of January 7th.  That gives them some time to find replacements.  

I do know certain Spring semester only classes were cancelled because certain teachers have resigned but it isn't all classes as far as I can tell.  If, for the classes that were cancelled, the school allows the students affected to shift to other classes at no additional charge or allows them to convert their class to a generic credit for use at a later date then I don't think writing the AG would be warranted.

The bottom line is that I am glad the thread got started and people are aware that there may be an issue so we can be prepared but I personally do not want to jump the gun and harm the school based on hearsay and panic.  DD and DS have taken classes through Landry for years.  Most of them have been quite worthwhile.  I hope that whatever is happening with be worked out successfully.  Before people start calling AGs or doing anything else along those lines I would like to give Greg Landry a chance to fix whatever got broken, if anything.  I don't know about anyone else but I absolutely want to give the school a chance to keep going.

Best wishes.

We have benefited from many many Landry Academy classes over the years. I am hopeful that there will be a resolution to all of this. I think we would all feel better if there was communication from Greg Landry about what is going on and what the future will look like. Not knowing is what is frustrating! 

There's nothing I want more than for them to explain some sort of financial hiccup but that they are working to correct it all. Thinking about losing my 70 generic semesters makes my stomach hurt!

• Like 4

We have two kids enrolled in total of 3 year-long classes currently. Unfortunately, each has one teacher that is leaving after one semester (Keeter German and Bontrager English IV, both already mentioned in this thread, so don't panic). We've heard nothing about the other class, or the one semester elective DD is enrolled in for Spring 2017. Agree that some form of communication from LA would be a comfort, but it is Christmas, it is a Christian academy, so we're willing to cut some slack there.

While this is disappointing, I respect teachers who can no longer work if they're not getting paid. I am also very thankful for teachers who are willing to see the year-long course commitment through in such circumstances.

Our family has options to see things through this school year, but I am interested to see how this gets handled, especially the discounted semesters (and one intensive) we've pre-purchased. Quality has never been an issue with LA; DD 8th and DS 10th have enjoyed all their classes (mostly in the English dept., one programming semester, German, and two high school science lab intensives). While we're among the many who've availed ourselves of the steep discounts LA offers, every time we've done so, we've wondered about the financial feasibility of the model. While not a "Ponzi scheme" in terms of intending to be a scam, it does seem to rely on continued advanced "bulk" sales to keep things afloat. Perhaps there's now too much competition for high school homeschool, such as free or nearly free community college dual enrollment (like in our state).

We agree with blessed3x - we're praying for Greg Landry, the Academy and teachers, and the families that are relying on them.

• Like 5

For anyone trying to keep up with updates regarding Landry Academy I am linking the Gen Ed thread since it has more information.  Posting over there might help keep people better informed.  Hopefully this will all resolve quickly and positively in the next few days.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632899-x-post-landry-academy-financial-problems/page-2

• Like 2

Just a bump in case y'all aren't following the Gen Ed thread.

Landry has announced they are closing their doors due to financial trouble. They are working with Veritas Press for options.

Some of the teachers have spun off & opened their own sites to continue teaching second semester (Excelsior is one provider. Others are mentioned or linked in the Gen Ed thread which OneStep linked to, above.)

• Like 1

I hope they get it worked out...telling DH I wasted money won't go over well at all.

I hope your husband will be understanding since you didn't do anything wrong here. The company took your money and wasted it. It's never fun to lose money, but grace and anger directed at the right people helps keep relationships loving.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Hello everyone.

First, I want to say sorry to everyone who lost money on Landry's closure.

My family was new to Landry, and we lost money on future generics. My son was going to take his first class with Landry starting in January (good timing on my part).

I received an email from one of his teachers, Mr. McComb, saying that we could get a discounted price on a Python class since we're a Landry family.  We've never spoken to Mr. McComb. You can understand why I'm leery about spending more money at this point.  Does anyone know anything about Geoffrey McComb (former Landry teacher) or about McComb Accounting?  Is this a legitimate offer?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know him but on the Jeremiah site where parents were looking for their teachers, he was mentioned many times by people trying to find him.  Most of the teachers have gone on to find other paltforms and are continuing teacher their second semester classes at a reduced rate so I think you are fine because that is the same info I've seen posted on the Jeremiah site for him.

I received an email from one of his teachers, Mr. McComb, saying that we could get a discounted price on a Python class since we're a Landry family.  We've never spoken to Mr. McComb. You can understand why I'm leery about spending more money at this point.  Does anyone know anything about Geoffrey McComb (former Landry teacher) or about McComb Accounting?  Is this a legitimate offer?

Thanks for your help.

Mr. McComb was my dc's favorite online teacher this past semester, so I do think it's a legitimate offer.  Like many of the other instructors who just lost their jobs at Landry, he's started up his own business in order to be able to continue teaching his students their second semester classes.  His new classes will have a different format, and so he is offering a 30 day money back guarantee. 

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2