Menu

Anyone here do medical transcription?

ashfern

I also did this as a side job, maybe 20 years ago.  Our medical practice really started phasing this out 15-10 years ago.  When I left the medical field 10 years ago there was very little medical transcription being done.  So much was computerized.   I would really think twice about this field, especially if it will cost you more then a dime to get into it.  

• Like 2

Agreeing with the others. My sister is a doctor and told me that this is, sadly, a dying field. This task was added to the list of tasks physicians have to do themselves now.

• Like 2

I was a medical transcriptionist working for a major hospital.  We were all phased out about 5 years ago.  It is definitely a dying field.  There are companies that still pay transcriptionists that work from home but the pay is very low.  I would not invest any money in training for this field. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's unanimous to keep looking.

General transcription might be an option for you.  There are two good message boards where you can learn a TON about the field, including good companies to work for and available jobs.

Transcription Haven

Transcription Essentials

One company I have done a lot of work for is Landmark Associates.  They're really good to work for. They say they're looking for experience, but they'll give you a chance if you can pass their test.

Good luck!