Menu

Lego disappointment - junk pieces inside instead of the set

mamaraby

We bought ds one of the pricier Lego Star Wars sets for the holiday, but when he opened the box today the pieces inside were not what they were supposed to be. At first, we thought maybe it was just a snafu on Lego's end, but upon closer examination it's likely not even a set. All of the bags are slit open, a bunch of the pieces are either marked or broken, and none of them seem to be around a cohesive theme.

I'm irked because the box didn't seem tampered with on the outside so there's no way I could have known in advance. And mostly it just feels icky because now I have to deal with the return and of course the set is out of stock at the store. Ds has been a really good sport about it at least.

So...PSA...if you've bought a pricier Lego set, maybe open it up and make sure it's what it should be.

• Like 2

Oh that is awful! I wouldn't have thought it would happen with an instore purchase!

Me either! It really did look like you would expect a brand new Lego set to look. Ds said he thought it felt kind of light, but being only the periodic Lego buyer I didn't think anything of it.

Ugh....who does that and lives with themselves?

• Like 2

Good PSA!

I think Lego is a commonly stolen item...Purchase, replace, return junk, sell sets online.

It's so mean.

I bet.

That is so Awful.

Scammers every where.

I had this done to me at Target.  I bough a carseat and when I opened it up the DOM did not match the outside of the box.  It was off by 2 years.  Someone bought a new one, put their old one in and returned it.  SICK. 

• Like 2

I remember reading a few years ago about a guy that was arrested for stealing by buying and returning lego sets.   He even had a ring of classmates doing it with him.  I think what he had been doing was buying an expensive set then changing the sticker over to a cheap set and using the valid receipt to return the cheap set and getting the price of the expensive.   They put it back on the shelf and when someone would try to buy the cheap set, it would ring up expensive.  

At Target, right off the shelf.

Interesting.  A couple of years ago, the same thing happened to us when my dds bought a Harry Potter lego set from Target.  Target took it back and gave us a full refund, by the way.  They were very nice about it.  

We noticed that the box had been very carefully opened and taped back closed -- so after that incident, we always checked the lego boxes super carefully before purchasing, to make sure they appeared sealed by the manufacturer.

Sorry that happened for you!  Such a bummer.

• Like 6

We noticed that the box had been very carefully opened and taped back closed -- so after that incident, we always checked the lego boxes super carefully before purchasing, to make sure they appeared sealed by the manufacturer.

They must have very carefully peeled the tape off because as far as I could tell there was no indication from the outside. Dh took it back to Target and they didn't even bat an eye. We got a refund back on the card and ds picked out a different Star Wars set. We checked it in the car before we left just to be sure.

Definitely going to be double checking things closer from here on out.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 2

We had that happen to us at ToysRUs one year. Ours was missing all of the mini-figs. When I returned it, the person at the counter wasn't even surprised. They said it is all too common. :(

I read online today that they do that because the minifigs can then be sold on eBay and they can make quite a bit of money that way. We've never really been an eBay kind of buyer, but tbh it does make me leery of ever doing so in the future. I would not want to risk potentially enabling a thief/scammer.

I guess I was just naive? It feels that way. It just never crossed my mind that it would be anything other than what the outside of the box said it was.

• Like 1

That's just all kinds of messed up. There are some real scumbags out there. I just had something come across my newsfeed the other day that ALL the toys at the San Antonio battered women's shelter were stolen and none of the kids sheltering there with their moms would have a Christmas this year. I mean, who does that??? (Incidentally, the community rallied and replaced most, if not all, of the gifts.)

That's just all kinds of messed up. There are some real scumbags out there. I just had something come across my newsfeed the other day that ALL the toys at the San Antonio battered women's shelter were stolen and none of the kids sheltering there with their moms would have a Christmas this year. I mean, who does that??? (Incidentally, the community rallied and replaced most, if not all, of the gifts.)

Indeed, who does that?!? I will never understand.

I'm glad you mentioned that the gifts were replaced because I would have asked. That's one of those things you just can't let stand.

Indeed, who does that?!? I will never understand.

I'm glad you mentioned that the gifts were replaced because I would have asked. That's one of those things you just can't let stand.

Well, my immediate thought was that it was one of the disgruntled husbands whose wife/family is sheltering there this Christmas.  And if so, all the more reason to get the heck away from him!

I had something similar happen with pants for my DS that I ordered online from Old Navy. It was a multi-pack of two pairs of khakis - someone had purchased them , then returned them, except they put an old pair of khakis that were completely frayed into the package they returned, then I was the next purchaser. Of course, Old Navy sent me a new pair of pants, but it was a pain and just mean for someone to scam them that way.

Sorry that happened with the Legos.

• Like 1

I remember back when I worked at a toy store we had a contraption in the back to resell returned items so the plastic on the box was tight and you couldn't tell it had been opened. I wonder if someone ripped off the innards of the set, threw in enough old random Legos to make it seem full, and then returned it. Or a dishonest employee stole the innards and resealed the box.

• Like 1

I am so sorry ! That is just terrible. I hope you can get this replaced quickly for,your son.

I have had opened shoe boxes and even a bra one time, that had old dirty used shoes and bras in them. I was trying them on in the store, so I didn't buy them. But the dirty used bra was pretty disgusting.

Oh, ewww

• Like 1

Goodness...I had never heard of this but I can see it happenning. Sometimes I think I am too honest or niave because I would never come up with these ideas myself...its never crossed my mind to fill a box with an old item and return it. That being said..in Australia when you return something they usually open the box and check it before they let you and most stores only give store credit these days...I can see why.

I had a friend in high school who's brother used to buy expensive computer games and then copy them and return them. That was back in the day before it was common to do so and they still did returns on games. The crappy thing about it was that my friends family was rich and could easily afford those games... now I know how they saved their money 🙄

You are lucky Target refunded without a problem...in Australia they would have given ME the hairy eyeball and all but accused ME of exchanging the pieces and trying to rip them off. I've had it happen a couple times where I bought a computer game and the staff forgot to put the disk in and then when I went back to get it..they all but reported me to the police for stealing it 🙄

My kids are avid Lego fans so I'll keep in mind that if I ever get them one of the expensive sets I will check it right there in the store before I leave so I can't be accused. Although I did do that once with a DVD and it was missing and they still accused me even though I hadnt even left the store..they wanted to walk out to my car and check I didnt stash it there even though it had been literally one minute since I purchased it 😡

Edited by sewingmama

Somewhere in my thrift store travels this past year, I picked up a Lego Emerald Night set   (10194)  (the green train) in  an intact  and partially sealed original  box. This morning as I was deciding whether I could gift this, I remembered this thread. Carefully cut the tape, and the first things I pull are 3 opened and emptied plastic bags. Only paid a $4, but I'm irritated for being had.  Then start pulling out the rest to dump into the lego bin. Out comes  5 sealed bags with contents.  Then a quart baggie with contents.  I check and all the figurines are there.  Next, came directions.  My guess is that  somebody started assembly, gave up and then donated it. I will gift it. Now, who do I like that much/

editing to add that I just checked the prices on this thing.  Prices are all over the place. the price at Walmart is $1499 (cannot be right, but same box and model #, brand new of course).  This think ain't going nowhere until I figure this out.

Edited by gstharr

I bought most of our legos this year from the online store, but I found two Star Wars sets at a good price at Walmart.  I think I am going to go unwrap them now and make sure they contain the right Legos.  Yikes!  I can't imagine doing this.  Especially with a toy at Christmas time.

This happened to us several times when the kids were really into Lego. Mostly with Walmart purchases but also Target. Once, the return clerk made me feel like she suspected me, but I had my disappointed kids with me so I wasn't really concerned with what she thought. I just wanted all the pieces I paid for.

Good PSA!

I think Lego is a commonly stolen item...Purchase, replace, return junk, sell sets online.

It's so mean.

This is likely what happened. If it was just a few pieces you can contact Lego and they can send them. Since the baggies inside were open, it appears someone purchased it, pulled out the minifigs and valuable pieces to sell, and returned it. So sorry that happened to you.

Incidentally, this has only ever happened to us when we have bought repackaged sets at Target.  We have bought probably easily 60 to 80 sets over the years with only two incidents of even a broken piece.  This is definitely not a Lego quality control issue.