Menu

Big boring project - need a good podcast.

Seasider

Having no idea what you like or what would be new to you:

Ditto, revisionist history

Bill burr Monday morning podcast

You made it weird

Professor blastoff (done now but every episode is on podcast apps)

The art of manliness (sounds dumb, surprisingly good)

The Thomas Jefferson hour

Keepin it 1600

Npr hidden brain

Dan Carlin common sense

If I could rec only one it'd be professor blastoff from the beginning. The first few episodes don't have guests, but it just gets better and better til the end.

BBC's Desert Island Discs.  They have interviewed about 3000 people over the years, from all kinds of fields.  The format is simple - the guest chooses several songs ("discs") they'd want to take with them if they were stranded on a desert island.  The interview is about their life, usually starting with childhood, and how they got started in their career and so on, and the discs are interspersed.  (You don't get the full song on the podcast, which is fine.)  It's very low-key but as a homeschool mom it's neat to see how different upbringings nurtured people who later became quite good at what they do.  You can listen online or download episodes that look interesting or get the feed from iTunes.  It's everyone from Sister Wendy, to Bruce Springsteen, to Nadiya Hussain who just won the Great British Bakeoff.  (Hers is a nice one even if you don't watch the GBB show.)  You can go here and use the search function to find interviewees ("castaways") from your favorite area of interest, from authors to musicians to sports figures to minor royalty, or choose a themed collection here.

• Like 1

"but as a homeschool mom it's neat to see how different upbringings nurtured people who later became quite good at what they do"

(Can't quote sorry)

Yes!! Listening to random successful (in different ways) people talk in an open way about the sundry ways their childhoods played out has helped me soooo so so so much be Zen about things. Particularly the various relationships in my house!

Season 2 of Undisclosed has been really interesting and I'm learning a lot about Innocence Projects and stuff. John Cryer hosts a weekly addendum to talk about the episode. 

I also like Stuff You Missed in History Class, Criminal, and Remarkable Lives, Tragic Deaths.  99% invisible is also fun.

I enjoy NPR's StoryCorps

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510200/storycorps

"StoryCorps travels the country collecting the stories of everyday people, who get to take the microphone and interview each other about their lives. Each week, the StoryCorps podcast shares these unscripted conversations, revealing the wisdom, courage, and poetry in the words of people you might not notice walking down the street."