Menu

Dr Hive!

busymama7

3 weeks ago I got sick with what I believe was bronchitis. I was very weak and dizzy and had a nasty cough. Never had a fever. I was better enough to function after 4-5 days. But the cough never went away. Productive cough the whole time but there were days I would only cough once or twice. Just figured it was lingering.

Now I'm worse again. Sinus congestion and drainage causing a sore throat. Cough is more frequent and I'm dizzy again and have chest pain (when not coughing) and upper back pain, which might not be related.

My doctor is also a close friend and will call me in antibiotics (he offered 3 weeks ago to my husband when I missed a party the weekend I was really sick) but I didn't take him up on it due to no fever and having had my experience with viral bronchitis and figuring I didn't need them. He is out of town right now so I can't see him but I'm certain he would call them in if I feel I need them.

I really prefer to let myself heal and avoid antibiotics except when really needed. I could go to urgent care but I don't want to if I only have a virus and if I need antibiotics I can just get them from my doctor without dealing with urgent care. What to do?!?!

Two years ago my bronchitis turned into pneumonia. It was walking pneumonia (I called it driving pneumonia because I still drove the kids to all their activities), so I didn't feel horrible like the flu. But I did get winded and tired very easily. And I had low fever off and on. Your symptoms don't sound exactly the same, but it could be turning into some type of secondary infection if not pneumonia. I had a really good urgent care experience with the pneumonia, so I wouldn't hesitate to go that route. I would be more likely to do that to find out what I'm dealing with rather than guessing on my own (and my dad is a doctor so I could have stuff called in too, but I wouldn't).

• Like 1

With the chest pain, I think you need a chest xray. There are different types of pneumonia, which look differently on xray and the specific type guides treatment. 

If you are dizzy, you also need your blood pressure checked and maybe a little lab work to make sure you aren't anemic or something else. 

I would go in to be examined at the urgent care instead of a random antibiotic without a chest xray which could delay your healing. 

Hope you are on the mend soon! 

back from urgent care. Bronchitis. Got a steroid shot and 4 prescriptions including an antibiotic.

My husband is working late. Kids are fighting. College age daughter also sick and next two down have been gone all day. Fun times. 😒

Oops, I didn't read the update! 

Hope you are able to go to bed early tonight!  :grouphug:

My husband got walking pneumonia once, and he didn't have a fever at all.

It knocked him down, though. Two rounds of major antibiotics, and 3 WEEKS home in bed--this for a guy who doesn't even see his doctor from one year to the next is major.

Yeah, we opted not to do a chest X-ray because I am cash pay so I don't know if it's into pneumonia but he said it could be. Doing the antibiotics to see how it works. I really hope I'm better for Christmas but it's not looking great. Sending my 16 year old son out to buy all the groceries this morning and hoping I can direct most of preparations from the couch. If only my older daughter wasn't sick too. It seems to be just a cold there so maybe she will be up for more today.

Im very thankful that I prepared early this year and the only thing that's left is food. And really, we will survive if we don't eat our traditional foods :)

• Like 2

Yeah, we opted not to do a chest X-ray because I am cash pay so I don't know if it's into pneumonia but he said it could be. Doing the antibiotics to see how it works. I really hope I'm better for Christmas but it's not looking great. Sending my 16 year old son out to buy all the groceries this morning and hoping I can direct most of preparations from the couch. If only my older daughter wasn't sick too. It seems to be just a cold there so maybe she will be up for more today.

Im very thankful that I prepared early this year and the only thing that's left is food. And really, we will survive if we don't eat our traditional foods :)

I had an x-ray when I had pneumonia, but three weeks later when my dd had it, the peds doctor diagnosed just based on what she could hear through the stethoscope. Apparently thats pretty standard for our peds office. Hope you start seeing improvement soon (though I remember it taking weeks to feel completely normal again, I did notice some improvement each day once I was on antibiotics.)

Update:

I started to feel better Christmas Eve day and felt pretty ok until last night. Now I'm weak again and my chest just hurts so bad. I have one more dose from a z pack to take this afternoon and I'm just so annoyed. I thought I'd mostly be better by now but this just won't end.

What am I looking at realistically? We were planning to have people over Wednesday for a game day but I can't guess if I will be feeling up to it.

Update:

I started to feel better Christmas Eve day and felt pretty ok until last night. Now I'm weak again and my chest just hurts so bad. I have one more dose from a z pack to take this afternoon and I'm just so annoyed. I thought I'd mostly be better by now but this just won't end.

What am I looking at realistically? We were planning to have people over Wednesday for a game day but I can't guess if I will be feeling up to it.

If you are worse, you should probably return to the dr, or at least call them. My mom had something similar around Thanksgiving. She wasn't better after 2 rounds of Z packs. She ended up with a different antibiotic and a shot of prednisone. She did recover pretty quickly after that.

Hope you feel better soon!

If you are worse, you should probably return to the dr, or at least call them. My mom had something similar around Thanksgiving. She wasn't better after 2 rounds of Z packs. She ended up with a different antibiotic and a shot of prednisone. She did recover pretty quickly after that.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you. I've had the shot of steroids plus oral prednisone. I'm not getting worse just not better. It must have to do with not resting the 24 hrs of Christmas Eve/day since I didn't want to miss out at all and there were things only I could do for preparations etc. I've done basically nothing today and am feeling a tiny bit better than this am. I just want this over

Agree if it isn't better you should head back to the Doctor...but, have you tried Mucinex?

Both times that I developed walking pneumonia (which made me laugh because I am in a wheelchair:), the doctors recommended it. I swear it helped more than the antibiotics and inhalers combined. It was the only thing that finally broke up all the congestion. Amazing stuff, and is OTC:)

Agree if it isn't better you should head back to the Doctor...but, have you tried Mucinex?

Both times that I developed walking pneumonia (which made me laugh because I am in a wheelchair:), the doctors recommended it. I swear it helped more than the antibiotics and inhalers combined. It was the only thing that finally broke up all the congestion. Amazing stuff, and is OTC:)

I have used it before but haven't tried it for this. Since resting today my cough is gone again. If I force myself to cough a bit there is no congestion to speak of. It's just pain. Cough or no cough, breathing or not it just hurts. All the time. It gets a tiny bit worse with deep breaths but mostly just hurts all the time.