Menu

So how did your college students do?

G5052

My son has maintained his 4.0 for his first two semesters of community college (he started last January) as a dual enrollment student.

We are stunned actually.  This is clear indication that he is in the right program for him.  He has LDs and struggles.

We are trying to tell him that it is OK if he gets some lower grades.  He is terrified of getting lower grades.  

This past December, we graduated him from high school.  He is now a full fledged college student and will take a larger load this next semester.  We will see how that goes.  And he will take History, a class not in his field but required.  He may struggle.  I don't even understand why this is necessary to take.......but whatever.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 6

3.5 or higher for both of them. They were happy about it, and we were pleased as well.

Eldest ds is probably going to end up with a double major now in writing/journalism and German. So I am not certain if he will be able to graduate on time or not. His scholarship is good for a 5th year, and he was talking about the 5 year program with the master's degree at the end anyway, so I think there is a strong likelihood that he will be in school longer.

Middle boy was happy about how his first semester went, and is jazzed up to return. He seems kind of happy to he home, but sometimes I think he is just biding his time until he can get back. He is running with a great group of like minded students, has formed some strong professor bonds, so I think college is something he is loving at this point. He is dropping his meal plan all together. The way his classes were scheduled, he was only getting one meal per day because he couldn't make it back to his assigned dining hall, and the meal plan is specific. No dining dollars. So he couldn't use the money at some other dining hall near his classes. They also do not allow carry out. I am not happy about that because when I was in college if you had classes from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. so you couldn't get back to eat, the director had to provide very generous packed lunches that you could pick up before or after class. You couldn't just be denied food. We were pretty angry about it because a huge ton of money was wasted, and they won't refund a dime. They don't seem to care if these students can eat or not. He's in the Valley which is a 15 -20 minute walk from every campus academic building and his dining hall is in the valley as well. So yah...with classes from 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., no lunch. Then he had an evening class with discussion group immediately following so no supper. $22.00 a day for breakfast! No thanks. He's taking a boatload of food back and there is a fully functioning kitchen in the dorms - the reason that he is allowed to drop his food plan as a freshman. On top of that, they charge more per meal to the on campus students than they do walk-in and commuters. So even if he ate every meal in the dining hall, by dropping the plan, we save $1.50 per meal having him pay with cash. CRAZY! I think most parents and students have not stopped to do the math which is why the school gets away with it.

At any rate, there is a Subway on campus and he likes their sandwiches and salads, a market place with all kinds of salads, fresh veggies, fruit, deli meats....and on weekends he can take the bus to Meijers and do a grocery shopping. We can feed him better and cheaper that way.

This is my kid who is medically underweight and has a very, very difficult time gaining weight, loses it too easily. So, his health cannot afford to continue throwing food money down a hole.

Eldest ds is dropping to 9 credits this semester - scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays - and commuting. His leg is really bothering him, and he's going to go for another round of three months physical therapy so would like to live at home and work with his previous medical team instead of risk it with new ones near campus. He is going to take a 3 credit spring term class, and one 3 credit summer term in order to stay on track for junior year.

• Like 4

My dd got all A's...  It has been such a confidence booster for her.  Academics were not always easy for her through high school, and I think it just took awhile for her brain to figure it all out.  

She also has a part-time job and volunteers an afternoon/week at the University hospital across the street from her dorm (her school is a small private one across the street from the giant state U).  

I suspect that her classes aren't too rigorous.  She's not a science or math major.  Also, I believe the teachers at her school do a nice job of moving slowly and providing enough help so that generally students can succeed.  Not to play down her good grades, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have done quite as well at a very rigorous, competitive type school.  

She's at a good place.  :)

• Like 4

3.5 in her 1st semester of DE. It would've been higher had the CC distinguished between B and B+ (the downside of no + or - at the school). She did better in math than English, which is a 180 degree reversal from her HSing performance. I hope it's just a matter of needing to adjust to college-level writing expectations (I got a B+ in my freshman comp class myself back in the day). We'll see how her 2nd semester goes.

• Like 5

DD - straight B's - happy with it from a girl trying to plan a wedding, juggle work, and live in crazy.  She's also a senior fwiw.

DS - A, B, C - the C was in his first math class (College Algebra) and coming from me as his math teacher, I consider this gold.  However, he is retaking the class this semester because he doesn't want to apply to the U with a C in a math class, kwim?  Brought his GPA down to a 3.5 too so an A this time around would be ideal.

The Mama - 4.0 semester.  I will admit a couple of these classes were insanely easy and two required far more work than I expected, lol.

Overall?  A good semester.  

Now I jump from CC to the U and I'm a little nervous this semester!

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 6