Menu

So how did your college students do?

G5052

Mine pulled all A's again.

I'm especially proud of him because he had two poor professors that he handled very well. He questioned them respectfully and appropriately and was prepared to file grading grievances if necessary.

The first was exceptionally disorganized and taught unsafe techniques. It was a weight-training class at the gym where DS works. DS reported it to both the general manager at the gym and the college when he didn't get anywhere with her, and she did back off. But when the semester ended, she had graded nothing and was getting edgy with DS in the last weeks. He thinks that she had figured out that he was the mole. So we were concerned. But she gave him perfect grades on all of this assignments, and he aced the final. 

The other one answered every email complaining about why DS would question his authority. DS showed me the course site and the emails, and DS was very much in the right. It was a chaotic course with randomly assigned due dates that contradicted what the professor said in class, assignments that didn't work (it was an IT class in an area I've taught), and exams that didn't match the textbook and lectures. I used to work with that professor and thought that he was one of the better ones, but he's had significant health problems, and I'm guessing that is a factor. I quit that college last December for unrelated issues, but they had contacted me in March to see if I could teach that professor's classes because he was in the hospital for a month and nearly died. My schedule didn't allow that. The professor had told me that he was fine when I ran into him locally last June, so I thought that it would be a good class. DS noted that he's only teaching one on-campus class next semester; his other sections are online. So perhaps the dean knows the problems.

DH had three surgeries during the semester, and DS was a big help there too with driving DD around and doing errands for me between classes.

I'm so proud and keep embarrassing him by telling him so!

Edited by G5052
  • Like 19

DD got A's in all of her 19 credits. She also had her senior recital (music major) and honors thesis due this semester. I am so proud of her, but her standards are higher than mine, so I'm glad for her. 

Ds started taking college courses to knock out gen eds and got A's in all of them. Some courses were harder than others. I'm very proud of him too. 

• Like 15

My mechanical engineering technologist... we're just happy he's keeping his head above water by maintaining his scholarship and is still on track to graduate on time. He's doing alright. Not stellar, but we're pleased with it. It's a demanding major.

My political scientist... he got a 3.4938 gpa this term, so barely missed the dean's list (need 3.50). We're celebrating anyway. It's close enough for our family. Lol

My recreation manager... he got a 3.51 on his first semester away, so I'm pleased with that. Granted, his choice major is less demanding than the others, but with this particular boy I'm happy with it.

So overall, things are pretty good!

Edited by Kinsa

My 18yo managed to pull off a B in calculus. The professor for that class was awful. Aside from doing a horrible job of teaching, he put material on each test that hadn't been covered yet. The first test had a 15-point question that required knowledge of material that they got to the week after the test. The second test had a 20-point question that required knowledge of material that they got to the week after the test. The two tests were each 15% of the overall grade and the final was 20%. I was on the phone with my 18yo to actually teach calculus every week.

And then my 18yo got an A and A- in two of the classes. The last class hasn't posted grades yet, but should be either an A- or a B+.

ETA: The last grade has been posted and is an A-. Pretty good results, especially considering dyslexia, dysgraphia, and a chronic pain condition. My 18yo managed B, A-, A-, and A. It's going to be rough because a medical condition is keeping my 18yo from taking more than 12-14 hours/semester. More than that just isn't realistically possible.

Edited by AngieW in Texas
  • Like 14

Ds1 had a pretty good semester, 3 A's and two B's. That is his general pattern, though he is getting better at finishing classes. Dd1 did very well. All A's. She had a funny text from the head coach a couple of days ago as the coaches were reviewing all the athletes and their times/practice ethic/team stuff. He texted "Smart too."  :lol:

Overall, ds1 is starting to think about life after college. And dd1 is pleased that she made it through the first semester. Swimming in a major conference is not for the faint of heart and she has risen to the challenge. She goes back for winter training right after Christmas day and won't be home again until a week in May. 

• Like 13

DS had some A's and some B's. Which is the norm at his university--I think anyone having all As is a rare bird indeed. He pulled off a B+ in a very tough econ class and was happy about that! And I think he learned a lot about time management, too, as he had a demanding course schedule, an internship, several volunteer activities and interviews for summer internships (some of which required out of town travel and missing classes).

• Like 13

Oldest ds got a 3.8 in his first semester in college.  That was 2 As, an A-, and a B+.  We are very pleased.  He worked very hard and was frustrated at times but persevered.  In my personal life it seems boys have had a difficult transition that first semester away at college so I am glad he got through it so well.  He is also thriving socially and really enjoying his school.  

Second ds had his first semester of de.  He did fantastic.  He had 2 classes and got As in both and was recognized with an award for his freshman English class.  This was a real accomplishment for my reluctant  homeschooler and he has gained some motivation and excited to press on.  

Overall, the best either of them has ever done.  Yay!!

• Like 10

:thumbup: grats all!

Does DE count? He got an A in history and english and a B in math. He had a really bad start to his math class, but managed to pull the grade up. So proud especially this being his first semester.

Indeed, it does!

Great job by your ds, especially overcoming the rough start in math. Well done!  :hurray:  I tell ya, hard-earned B's (and even C's) can be cherished more than A's!

I can't remember if my mother was continuing the joke or if this actually happened to her, but the story goes that she took some difficult college course and went to see the final grades that were posted outside the professor's door. She read aloud to herself, "I got a D - - [D minus, minus]. What's a D - -?"

From the prof's office (or classroom?), he boomed, "A gift!"

:lol:

• Like 14

I can't remember if my mother was continuing the joke or if this actually happened to her, but the story goes that she took some difficult college course and went to see the final grades that were posted outside the professor's door. She read aloud to herself, "I got a D - - [D minus, minus]. What's a D - -?"

From the prof's office (or classroom?), he boomed, "A gift!"

:lol:

:rofl:

• Like 1

Mine pulled all A's in DE again, maintaining his 4.0 (just shy of 60 DE credits and A's in all of them). I thought this semester might see some B's because for the very first time, he was juggling 3 writing-heavy classes (2 college level, 1 AP) in addition to college applications and another AP and college class. I felt very :willy_nilly: for many weeks this semester. Somehow, he pulled through. I did not work this hard at his age. I think it helps that he loves his courses.

Next semester might be the toughest one yet with an honors upper division math class under a prof known for being very challenging. But I think I'd be just as proud if he pulled a C on that one. :001_wub:

Congrats to all of you and your DCs. I don't yet know how it feels to have a kid studying far away from home and I think I'd be even more :willy_nilly: if he was.

• Like 13

I tell ya, hard-earned B's (and even C's) can be cherished more than A's!

Yes! DS gets mostly B's and some A's, but had a hard-earned C in English first semester (and then got a B from the same instructor in the follow-up class second semester--I was so proud of him, how hard he worked and how much he grew in writing. I told him he should write his teacher every semester and thank her for how hard she made him work and what she taught him--he now often gets A's on papers and told me today he's doing something he NEVER thought he would do--write for FUN! I think *I* might write to her!).

Anyway, this semester he's going to make the Dean's list for the first time. I told him that when it comes out, his parents WILL be embarrassing him and posting it on FB, LOL!

• Like 14

My Dd earned a 4.0 in her first semester of dual enrollment. Honors Chem, Honors World Lit, Intermediate French, and Pre-Calc. In retrosoect, she should not have taken pre-calc. She made an A in her pre-calc class last year, but in order to qualify for state funding for the DE, she had to save Calc until spring semester because it was the only class left that she needed to graduate high school (4th year of math). We should have used the credit hours for a Gen Ed requirement, but we went with what the adviser suggested. Lessons learned.

Dd was invited to take a 3000-level French class next semester skipping the pre-req (the placement test underrated her level) and was also asked to be a French SI (supplemental instruction) instructor next semester. It is a paid position with office and planning hours. She also made the highest score in her class on the ACS Chem test.

Hoping next semester goes as well and the senioritis does not hit!

Edited by Melabella
  • Like 15

Dd was invited to take a 3000-level French class next semester skipping the pre-req (the placement test underrated her level) and was also asked to be a French SI (supplemental instruction) instructor next semester. It is a paid position with office and planning hours. She also made the highest score in her class on the ACS Chem test.

Congratulations to your dd. I SI for an ancient and medieval history class. It's a lot of fun and a great way to get to know other students in a smaller setting. 

• Like 5

Congrats to all!

Dd is a 3rd year PhD student, and she passed her Prelims and got a paper published this semester. She is working on another one that she hopes to submit right after the holidays.

Ds finished his first semester as an undergrad with a 4.0 in 18 credits. He had 8 classes and learned a lot about being organized. His favorite prof, his proofs professor, asked him to work on research next semester, so he is excited about that. And to top it all off, yesterday he was offered a summer internship. Hooray!

• Like 13

I am super proud of my college junior majoring in mechanical engineering.  He made a 4.0 this semester (first time) in classes like dynamics, fluid mechanics, computer aided engineering, and economics.  I used to say he was bright but unmotivated.  Not any more.  :coolgleamA:

He is on track to graduate in 4 years and is even working on a minor in computer science.  He is on the basketball team and is playing 20min/game this year as opposed to 5min/game last year.

• Like 18

Mine pulled the 4.0 he was aiming for this semester. I'm pleased, but a little voice in my head is naggingly wondering why he doesn't always aim for the 4.0? (The answer, of course, is that this semester he was enrolled at the same campus as his perfectionist girlfriend, and a little nudging from her, combined with some friendly competition, seems to be much more effective than my own attempts to encourage him.)

• Like 11

DD fared really well! She struggled in areas we expected her to... and a few surprise areas as well. I think, finally, at the END of the semester, she was starting to find her groove as far as finding a good balance of study time vs rest-your-weary-eyes time. She's learned that procrastination is, indeed, a deadly monster if you don't get the better of it early - and I am hoping this knowledge will help her in the next semester!

She had no math classes this semester and has commented that she's "missed math" several times. She tossed around the idea of being an engineering or math major before deciding on something else... and she's helped nearly every other freshman on her team with their math homework (sometimes to her own detriment, I'm afraid... she preferred helping someone do their College Algebra or Calculus homework vs doing her OWN homework-in-whatever-class-she's-avoiding-at-the-moment).

But - she's one semester COMPLETED!! Only 7 more to go!! (13-14 more if you include grad school!! :lol:  But I won't remind her of that just yet! :rofl: )

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 10

DS also made all A's in his first semester of college...which was an emotional roller coaster at times (he left the dorm in the middle of the semester and became a rather long distance commuter). In the end, however, he was sad that his classes ended, and he is happily looking forward to next semester's two geography courses, the second semester of history with a favorite professor, etc.

One thing I will note in case any other parent or student is making a similar decision. I have always been adamant that my children would repeat Calculus I at the university level even if they took it at the high school level...despite the counter wisdom of several of you more experienced moms. DS took AP Calculus through Derek Owens and scored a 5 on the exam, so he thought it was rather silly (and a waste of time) to repeat the course. He was also afraid of being bored, so I gave in. Well, he and you all were definitely right. He aced Calc II despite having a rather difficult professor who announced after tests how many students had scored in the single digits (!?!). 

• Like 9

A+'s and one A for a 4.24 GPA, in all honors classes!  It was a large load for first semester (and SO much stress), but he pulled it off.  I'm really proud at how much he's grown in going from an only child homeschooler to a student at a campus of 30,000.  I'm glad that he is taking a bit lighter load in the spring, even though it is more hours.

This +/- system is a bit odd.  I never taught or went to school at a college that had that, so it's weird for me to get used to.  I think it makes our little perfectionists even more neurotic.  Instead of getting a 90 or 92% for all A's, they are aiming for 97% in everything.  

• Like 9

Oldest dd got all As and one C in her classes, with the C being in German, which is her major  :glare:   But next semester is her last, and this semester was pretty stressful for her.  I'm good with that.  Her GPA is 3.5, so it's fine.  

My DE student got an A in her Biology class, and has a 4.0 overall for all the classes she's taken at CC.

And, since I'm a college student too...I got all As and one B+.  The B was in an online class in which something went horribly wrong with my Final and my essay didn't get submitted.  At first she had me down for a ZERO on my final, but then had mercy on me.  

• Like 10

My college sophomore managed to keep his 3.9 GPA -- 18 credit hours including two honors courses (and the calculus professor from hell, similar to Angie's tale above), plus working three jobs -- he says he won't try that again. He had zero margin. If he'd had a head cold or more than just that one flat tire, it wouldn't have worked out. He's scheduled for 15 hours next semester.

• Like 9

A+'s and one A for a 4.24 GPA, in all honors classes!  It was a large load for first semester (and SO much stress), but he pulled it off.  I'm really proud at how much he's grown in going from an only child homeschooler to a student at a campus of 30,000.  I'm glad that he is taking a bit lighter load in the spring, even though it is more hours.

This +/- system is a bit odd.  I never taught or went to school at a college that had that, so it's weird for me to get used to.  I think it makes our little perfectionists even more neurotic.  Instead of getting a 90 or 92% for all A's, they are aiming for 97% in everything.  

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. This might be the same scenario for DS if he is accepted to our local flagship. From only child (albeit with DE experience in a CC campus) to a uni campus of 30K+. And also from a simple A, B, C system to one that uses A+, A, A- etc. Although I liked your post, I don't like the fact that they use this +/- grading system and am a tad worried about the message it will send to a kid who already works very hard.

• Like 1

dd is still waiting for one mark! She got a notice that it's delayed for some reason but no details. Her prof is elderly and had taken time off in Spring 16 so that might be related... 

She already knows she'll end up on the honor roll again though. And this was supposed to be her semester of taking things easy LOL - she's discovered she doesn't know how to just coast through.

It was a placeholder term because she'd already been accepted into the nursing program for Jan but she chose to do an extra semester of bio & chem, mostly to stay on our extended health insurance.  

Because she's switching colleges, all her marks will be wiped. She needed the high college marks to be accepted into the program, but once in, they re-set the GPA clock.  

• Like 8

Woo-hoo!  Love all these success stories. 

DD20 pulled all A's in her last semester at the community college. She'll start at the state university in January. She struggled a bit at the beginning of the matrix algebra course but soon settled in after that. Calculus III was her favorite course both because she likes math and because she had a super awesome instructor. On the other hand, she had a poor instructor for her computer science course who would assign unclear projects and direct the students to the internet to learn what they needed to complete the project. The course grade that DD was actually worried about was art history.  I let her know that she would be in for a world of teasing from me if she aced all her math and technical courses and got a low grade in a general ed like art history.

DD16 worked very diligently and received A's in her first two dual enrollment courses, beginning Spanish and college success. 

• Like 7

DD 1 was pleased to get all As in her DE program. Even though Calculus I and Spanish II were the hardest, English 102 turned out to be the problem. The instructor didn't believe in teaching. She had many classes where they would meet for 10 minutes and then they were dismissed to go write. She was never sure where she stood because the instructor believed in giving low grades to give the students something to work towards. DD1s study/time management skills were honed as she juggled 15 hours plus 8-10 hours work and many, many college/scholarship application essays.

DD2 got a pass on English 101. This semester she was in an accelerated English class where they took both 90 and 101. It was quite intense and took a lot of work to elevate her writing skills so quickly. She is still waiting to see if a letter grade will also be awarded.

Both are enjoying the time off and looking forward to another busy, interesting semester.

• Like 6

My dd had a rough first semester. She was a 4.0 student in high school so getting less than A's in college made her feel disappointed in herself. I think she did well though. She got 3 A's and 2 B's. And one of those B's was in Calculus which she didn't take in high school so it was a lot of new material. She struggled with that class and was positive she would get a C, so we were all pleasantly surprised her final grade was a B. She is taking Calculus 2 next semester and is very nervous about it. I told her the first semester of college life is a big learning curve and to not beat herself up over trying to figure out how and when to study. She's hoping Spring semester goes better.

• Like 7

I got 2 B-, 1 B+ and 1 A-.  I'm quite happy with one B-, since I hadn't gone to class since the end of August.  The other one was unavoidable but could have been an A if family crap hadn't gotten in the way.  All in all, I'm happy with my first semester back at college.

Agreed about the +/- system!! At dds school, she couldn't possibly have a 4.24 GPA, but an A is worth 4.0, and an A- is only 3.7. I think that's ridiculous - that a college student could earn "all As" and only have a 3.7 GPA! :huh:  I'd just never heard of such a thing!

Told dd to be on her toes next semester and pay attention to the +/- percentages! That could eat up a GPA quickly!

• Like 2

Agreed about the +/- system!! At dds school, she couldn't possibly have a 4.24 GPA, but an A is worth 4.0, and an A- is only 3.7. I think that's ridiculous - that a college student could earn "all As" and only have a 3.7 GPA! :huh:  I'd just never heard of such a thing!

Told dd to be on her toes next semester and pay attention to the +/- percentages! That could eat up a GPA quickly!

I've never heard of it any other way.  It was done the same way when I was in college.  I only heard about this no +/- system here.

You all seem to get grades waaay erlier in the rest of the country - this thread is at least a week old and none of my kids have their final grades yet. :tongue_smilie:  I think my two freshmen did very well.  We'll see about my DE student...

• Like 1

My senior (with the ongoing health problems) finished the quarter with an overall GPA of 3.45. Two more quarters to graduation. Bittersweet. Her meds/therapy situation is finally right. I wish she could have done all of college from a healthy place, but grateful that things are good now.

The freshman's semester doesn't end until January...so there is no real break for her! Projects and finals loom during the holidays. Super proud that she had the highest grade in the class on a recent chemistry exam.

• Like 3

Dd18's college does +/-. It didn't have that system when I was there 30 years ago. My last college experience was 8 years ago, and that college didn't have that system either.

Dd's school got out on Dec. 13th. Her friend's school went a week or more after that. That's why we have grades already. Her next semester starts Jan. 5th.

ETA: Removing my sentences about the plus minus grading system affecting my dd's tuition scholarship. I just verified they don't use the plus and minus for that at all, only the regular letter grades.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 1

My university went to a +/- system a few years ago.  As a professor, I like it.  I know that some students complain that their GPA's are lower because of it, but I am not convinced that is the case.  In the past there might be some students right on the brink of an A--89.4--that I could not justify them getting an A but if there are a clump of students in the 89-91 range, I can justify giving that group an A-; so the student receiving an A- may have received a B under the old system.  I think it especially helps send a message to B and C students--were they a C- and barely passing or a good solid C, etc.  My university has not detected any trend to lower GPAs that some were concerned would happen with this system.

• Like 2

I think the +/- system was/is an answer to college grade inflation and a return to more bell shaped curves -  if you really worked hard and only got a B that would be more disappointing,  I would be happy with the A- myself.

I have seen:

A  4.0

A- 3.75

B+ 3.25

B  3.00

B- 2.75

C+ 2.25

C  2.00

D  1.00

F  0.00

There should be no A+  (we have that in HS)

Students coming from our grade-inflated high schools probably expect the same easy grading.

I went to one college that had this back in the day:

A      4.0

AB    3.5

B      3.0

BC    2.5

C      2.0

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

Middle son got one A- in a one hour class from a prof who doesn't give As...  He's learned to be annoyed when that happens but not devastated (happened before in a writing class).  Otherwise he had all As - very typical for him though there have been one or two other A-s over the years.  This semester that gave him a 3.99 GPA.  His overall GPA is 3.97 since his school doesn't offer A+ as an option to counter the A-s he's had.

Youngest ended up with a 3.5 GPA - his highest yet!  He's a junior now, so mostly taking classes he likes... getting As in those three and a C in the class he doesn't care for as much.  That's also very typical for him.

Both have quite a few extra curriculars going on and jobs along with studies so I'm quite pleased with their results.  I will admit to mentioning that Bs are better than Cs to youngest son, but I know his future grades will depend upon how much he likes a class (and what work getting the grade entails).  Since he has two standing job offers upon graduation, I try not to get hung up on the small details.  He's intelligent plus has good people/work skills and that counts more than the underlying bit about grades.

• Like 4

DD16 got A's in her first in-class DE classes (she did online DE last year). I was really pleased not just with her grades but with how well she adapted to the classroom setting, working in a lab group (she ended up being the one the other lab group members consulted for help with Excel, Powerpoint, etc.--they didn't know she was younger!), and going in to talk with professors. She enjoyed her classes. It was her first time in a classroom other than a couple of months in kindergarten!

• Like 4

An A+ is 4.3

ETA the rest:

A+ 4.30  A 4.00  A- 3.70  B+ 3.30 B 3.00 B- 2.70

C+ 2.30 C 2.00 C- 1.70 D 1.00 F 0.00

Edited by Joules

ETA: Removing my sentences about the plus minus grading system affecting my dd's tuition scholarship. I just verified they don't use the plus and minus for that at all, only the regular letter grades.

Our state scholarship just strips the pluses and minuses, so an A+ and A- are both just A's.  I called around to schools that he was considering (in case of transfer) and found that all of them also just strip them when considering grades for transfer.

Mine got all A's!  And a 4.something non-zero GPA.  He took physics, calculus, English, chemistry, and computer science.  With computer science, he was totally bored in the first couple of weeks.  He was talking to an advisor one day, and the long and the short of it is that after e-mailing over an afternoon with another professor, ds was allowed to take a second year CS course instead and did really well in that, too.  It was more challenging for him and he really liked the professor.  Actually, he loved his CS, math, and physics professors.  He went to visiting hours often and got to know them well.  His physics professor also told him that he was the first student ever to get a 100% on the diagnostic test at the beginning of the semester!!  He was dreading the required English class ("I'm tired of literature and tired of writing about it all through high school!" lol).  But partway through, he actually admitted that it was sort of interesting.  He feared having to do the handwritten essays in class, but they went well.  And he feared doing the big paper of the semester, but that went well, too, and he got the highest grade the prof would give (she never gives 100%).  He let me see that paper, and she had written all sorts of compliments on it about his points, etc.  And one day she stopped him in the hallway and said (knowing he had been home-educated), "Where did you learn to write so well?"  Well, I was so pleased when he told me this that I patted myself on the back and whispered, "Thank you, SWB!!"  lol  He just rolled his eyes and declared that all the credit goes to him because it's HIS brain.  I just laughed and laughed.  Seriously, I was very proud of him (and also grateful for our homeschooling experience, that prepared this kid who had sore hands from writing when he was younger).

He starts again on Tuesday, with math, physics, modern physics, astronomy, and economics.  He loves it all, and he loves having finally made some like-minded friends.  And it's all paid for and I'm super happy for him at this point in his life (despite his having been dx'ed with Crohn's last June :(   ).

• Like 6

DD got all A's, even in Microbiology for Health Sciences. That was a tough one! She has one B in all 60 credits she's acquired thus far. 

She applies this semester to start the nursing program in the fall. 

ETA: Dd's full tuition scholarship is dependent on her GPA, so we're thankful she's making grades that keep the $15K a year coming in! 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 7

For the first semester freshman-grades were solid and Honors Program admission validated by first semester grades.  More importantly, she learned about resources on campus that are available to help her, learned to work with professors and ask for assistance as needed, learned time management skills, people management skills, living successfully with a roommate, actively participating in campus life (clubs and organizations), employment, and more.  It isn't just about the GPA; it is all those difficult to enumerate skills and life lessons that count too.

• Like 5

Grades are finally in here.  My two college freshmen did great - both got all A's.  

My youngest who's in DE ended up with grades that pretty much reflect the effort put in.  She got an A in Computer Graphics - she spent hours working in the computer lab on that class every week.  But she did pretty much absolutely no work or studying in US History or Chemistry and got a B and a C respectively.  She thinks there might be a mistake with the Chem grade, as according to her prior calculations she could have flunked the final and still made better than a C... the prof was supposed to drop a test grade, and she thinks he may not have.  She's already emailed him to ask for a detailed breakdown of the grade.  She did have a Zero on one lab grade (that one wasn't her fault - she was in the hospital and you can't make up labs), not sure if that affected things.  

• Like 4