Menu

1 yr old's Christmas present present

Janeway

Right now, 1 yr old is only getting presents that I doubt he is that interested in, but, I had in storage because they had been given to him as gifts, but were never "given" to him as he just didn't seem that interested at the time. 

I feel kind of bad that I did not buy anything for him that I picked out just for him. 

At the store, he seems to really like that Fisher Price little robot ($36 at Target). I think he would really like the B-toys musical symphony type toy (http://www.target.com/p/b-symphony-2/-/A-13832024) But maybe I could get him one of those little animals that sings. 

Am I being silly? He has tons of toys as handmedowns. I am guessing that even if I spend the money to buy something new, he will just be interested in whatever his older siblings got and won't care about whatever new toy I buy.

What do you think? Suck it up and buy him a new toy, or give him what I already have?

I definitely did not buy presents for my 2 yo for her birthday last month. She got some things I had stashed away that had been gifted to her earlier that she wasn't ready for. No guilt here. She won't know or remember, and that would have been one neglected baby doll six months ago.

The only reason my 7 month old is getting two genuinely new presents for Christmas is because I have nothing to wrap that my oldest won't know is a re-gift. Since the first thing my 3 yo asked Santa this year was "Do you know anything about babies? Because ours is too little to talk, but he still needs presents." I think no packages for our littlest would be noticed. So to Target I went. But I really wouldn't overthink a 1 yo's Christmas.

• Like 3

For my kids first and second Christmas's and birthday.  I send a box of toys I had packed away to Grandma's house and tell everyone to pick something out of the box and wrap it up to give to kiddo.  If we are lucky kiddo will play with the bows and maybe the wrapping paper.  But kiddo doesn't need and I definitely don't want anymore little kid stuff in the house.  Please safe yourself the mental doubts and just use what you have. 

Janeway, every toy for a 1-4 year old is at the thrift (well, maybe not that robot yet).  Fisher-Price, Playskool, power wheels,  puppet theaters with puppets,  and every noisemaker ever sold, etc. are at the major thrifts,  There are clothes, books, games and puzzles for the older kids.   Often priced less than what the sales tax would have been if purchased new retail..  They just need some alcohol, 409, elbow grease and a gift bag.  My 11 y.o is getting a mix of new, used and near new.  Here are some of his gifts. A new ping pong table and a used set of professional quality paddles (2 for $5.  Clearly used, but sold for $70 each new). A thrift find  Smithtonian chemistry set, unopened plastic wrap set ( $4. .$100 new), Another thrift find, an unopened plastic wrap microscope with slides in plastic case ($6.  $50 new). An opened Deluxe Magic Set with Dvd, opened but looks like never used ($4).  Craigslist major brand golf clubs and cart (for a small  fraction of  $600). Beside the usual thrift Nike and Underamour, his special x-mas day outfit; a brand new looking pair of Levi Signature Jeans, with either a Thomas Dean long sleeve shirt, or Tommy Hilfiger Polo, all 3 for $6 ( $120 new). The bargains are there. The best buys to be had if you start early, and regularly. I am in them frequently looking to add to my vinyl/record collection.  MY TIP: buy ahead, for best selection . e.g, for the 1 year old, start looking at 2 y.o, even 3 year old sizes. Helps resist impulse buying, and allows you to focus on quality, and yes even thrift stores have  special sales day. Start looking for birthday, x mas gifts months in advance, and store them for the big day. There is no stigma to this. The  stores I frequent are in very comfortable communities,  and the parking lot are filled with fancy cars. I see ladies with $800 purses looking for the 1/2 price tags.   btw, the 99ct Store chain highest grossing store is about a mile from Beverly Hills, and its parking lot is always full.

• Like 1

I second the suggestion to buy from thrift stores. One of my kids is getting a huge box of fun fiction that has a retail price of $750 as well as a small bookcase. She's also getting a new looking crock pot, a Van Gogh puzzle still in the plastic, Pampered Chef kitchen tools, and more. Another kid is getting like new snowshoes.

I bet you could find some $0.10 board books and baby would be happy opnening those.

• Like 1

Each of my kids got a carseat as their gift on their first Christmases, because they had outgrown their infant car seats.   I have a picture of my then 6-month-old DD on her first Christmas, sitting in her new carseat, with a priceless expression on her face that looks like, "What?  All you could get me for my first Christmas was a lousy carseat?"   Of course, neither one of them remember now.

I say give him what you already have.  :)

Give what you have.

My 1 year old is getting a board game he can't play for 3 more years. Because I found a few good games at goodwill and this one is too young for his sisters but I know his sisters will be happy to see him open something. The 1yo doesn't care at all.

I bought him 1 new toy on purpose but if I had some stuff stashed I wouldn't have. He's inputting gifts because his sisters care.

The best gift one of my 1 yr olds got was from my sister - some empty water bottles with fruit loops in them and the lid put back on and glued. When shaken they made noise that the baby loved, but wasn't so loud it drove me nuts, and the colors were fun to look at. 

Luna got a box of Cheerios for Christmas last year (and a new house. We were in the middle of moving). We didn't celebrate her first birthday at all (Dec 30th). She got a candy cane. 

This year, she is getting a handful of simple gifts. Her best gift is a 3 inch light up octopus she played with at Walmart. 

Your baby will be happy to experience the fun and excitement. He won't care about gifts at all. 

We have no financial issues whatsoever. I bought my one year old one new gift. (Very inexpensive), a book, and two consignment store things. I haven't even managed to get him a stocking yet. If we had financial difficulties it would be a Goodwill find. Yes older got more elaborate things, but they don't remember. The best gift you can give your child is a happy loving family not stressed about whatever you can avoid. I will spend Christmas trying to keep my one year old from eating the wrapping paper or Christmas ornaments. He will care about his gifts for about 5 seconds :)