Menu

Do medical professionals just see me coming or something? (vent...JAWM)

SparklyUnicorn

So blah blah dental work...if you have been following my dental work saga you know some of it.  After the procedure I had this huge bubble in my mouth.  Rather difficult to explain exactly where.  Not on my gums and not on my lip.  In between there.  It's clear.  So I googled.  Doesn't sound serious and it doesn't hurt, but it is annoying as all get out and it is large.  I did ask about it at the follow up.  She said oh you probably just bit yourself during the procedure.  Based on where it is located I actually don't think that is possible!  But I thought oh well it doesn't hurt it'll just go away..she said it's healing.  Nope.  It's not going away.  In fact I think it is getting bigger.  I was sedated, but I was in and out of fully knowing what was going on and I recall feeling irritated by the suction thing.  A few times the assistant left the room and that suction thing was just hanging out in my mouth and I was thinking man that really hurts, but I was too out of it to say anything.  And I was highly distracted by all the pain after so what was I going to say?

I'm wondering if they caused this thing and what on earth I can do about it.  Every damn time I go to a doctor or dentist I feel like they do half arse work and something happens that leaves me feeling very unhappy about the whole thing.  I walked in there feeling ok and now I'm in pain and I have freaking weird bubbles in my mouth that weren't there before.  Not to mention how much damn money I'm hemorrhaging over this ordeal. 

Grrrrrrr....and what are they going to do?  Make me pay to have this thing removed?  Probably because it's not like I have proof or they'd be honest about causing this thing.  There is just no way I could have bitten that spot in my mouth.

*sigh*  That is all.... 

I've done salt water gargles.  I've done the special stuff they gave me.  This has nothing to do with the procedure.  It does not hurt, but imagine having a dried pea in your mouth in a weird spot.  You can feel it there all the time.  I read that if it does not go away they have to cut it off.  They can try aspirating it (sorry for being gross here).  But DAMN.  I wonder if I go to a regular doc if they can do it.  I do not want to pay more money. 

That kind of thing can arise from irritation in the mouth, even from just being slightly allergic to an ingredient in toothpaste. It will probably go away by itself, but what a pain.  :grouphug:

No I think something physical was done to cause it. I don't think it's from any chemical.  Like something was pinched very hard and it stayed that way.  They say it's often caused from biting on the inside of your mouth.  There is no way I could bite in that spot though.  I walked in there without it and walked out with it.  No doubt it happened somehow there.

It's not irritated as if reacting towards a chemical or irritant. It's just flat out annoying.  And how long should I expect it to be there?  (probably you don't know).  I just feel like it should have improved after 2 weeks.  It shows no change in 2 weeks time.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

I had something like that once, >20 yrs ago.  It was called a mucocele.  Then I had to have it removed, I think by an oral surgeon or something.  I now have a weird numb spot in the area where it was and the numbness extends into my lip a little bit.  That's about all I remember.

• Like 2

I think you might have to kick up a bit more of a stink with them. You might need to let them know loud and clear that you think they caused it, you aren't happy and they need to fix it at their expense.

I get it. I hate dentists in general the only one we had that was good was outrageously expensive so we had to change.

• Like 3

No I think something physical was done to cause it. I don't think it's from any chemical.  Like something was pinched very hard and it stayed that way.  They say it's often caused from biting on the inside of your mouth.  There is no way I could bite in that spot though.  I walked in there without it and walked out with it.  No doubt it happened somehow there.

It's not irritated as if reacting towards a chemical or irritant. It's just flat out annoying.  And how long should I expect it to be there?  (probably you don't know).  I just feel like it should have improved after 2 weeks.  It shows no change in 2 weeks time.

Yeah, I meant that your mouth was probably irritated by some sort of physical trauma, likely the suction thingy. 

I agree with the PP that it sounds like a mucocele. Wikipedia says salt water rinses can help, but you said you've tried that. This site says to wait two months to see if it resolves, but if it's really bugging you, I might just have it out and be done with it.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I had a blocked saliva duct under the front of my tongue after a root canal, the mouth guard thing they used to isolate the tooth rubbed the area for three hours. Dentist who I saw for the crown part a few days later said to give it time, it just got irritated during the root canal - a couple weeks later it was gone. But until then it felt like I had a bit of gravel under my tongue - most annoying!

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

I think you should calmly and courteously call and ask for an appointment. Tell them that you were injured during the procedure, you would like the dentist to look at the injury, and you do not want to pay for the appointment. Then wait for the response. I think you have a very reasonable request, they injured you. If they won't see you without payment, insist on talking to the dentist directly. At least get it directly from her that she won't stand by her work. 

• Like 2

I had a blocked saliva duct under the front of my tongue after a root canal, the mouth guard thing they used to isolate the tooth rubbed the area for three hours. Dentist who I saw for the crown part a few days later said to give it time, it just got irritated during the root canal - a couple weeks later it was gone. But until then it felt like I had a bit of gravel under my tongue - most annoying!

This sounds a lot like what I have.  It's over 2 weeks today though and it is not even on its way out.  Frustrating.

• Like 1