Menu

Easy dinner ideas for Christmas day--GF please

cintinative

We are already hosting Christmas Eve for a small-ish group of people--about 11. We are having ham, scallopped potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, corn pudding, and desserts.

We are hosting my parents on Christmas. There will only be six of us.  I am looking for something "easy" but it must meet these criteria:

1. Shorter cooking time and low maintenance. We won't be home until about 12:40 from church and my parents will be here most of the afternoon. Or, slow cooker is okay.

2. Gluten-free. We have a Celiac here.

3. Not too expensive. We considered a standing rib roast but that was too expensive ($7 per pound).  I have a chuck roast in the freezer, and couple of whole chickens. 

Please note I can convert a lot of recipes to gluten-free but I don't want to mess with substituting for canned soups, crackers, stuffing, etc.  So generally casseroles are a no-go.

I don't own a pressure cooker unfortunately.

I just made a chicken pot pie today--I could make another one of those??  

Any ideas Hive?

ETA: Husband does not like fish. I should have mentioned that. 

Edited by cintinative

Do you like fish/seafood? Mussels are cheap, easy, and fun. Salmon is super fast. Fish pie is already gf and can be prepared ahead of time then baked when you're ready. Crab dip is awesome and easy to make. Crab is expensive, but the dip really stretches it. Alfredo sauce is easy, but rich and you can prep or make it ahead. I love alfredo with smoked salmon and capers, but it's simple enough to keep the protein separate if you have people who prefer it plain or with chicken. You'd just need gf pasta. Pasta is also a great way to stretch more expensive seafoods so you don't have to buy a lot to feed a crowd.

• Like 2

I just saw this recipe today- slow cooker Beef Bourguignon. I'm GF as well and assume the easy substitutions won't change outcome that much.

http://therecipecritic.com/2016/11/slow-cooker-beef-bourguignon/

Ingredients

5 slices bacon, finely chopped

3 lbs. boneless beef chuck, cut to 1 inch cubes

1 cup red cooking wine

2 cups chicken broth

½ cup tomato sauce

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup flour

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 Tablespoons thyme, finely chopped

5 Medium Carrots, sliced

1 pound baby potatoes (I used tri color)

8 ounce fresh mushrooms, sliced

fresh chopped parsley for garnish

Instructions

In a large skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Put bacon in slow cooker. Salt and pepper the beef and add to the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer beef to the slow cooker.

Add the red wine to the skillet scraping down the brown bits on the side. Allow it to simmer and reduce and slowly add chicken broth, and tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Slowly whisk in the flour. Add the sauce to the slow cooker.

Add garlic, thyme, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir and cook on low until beef is tender for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8. Garnish with fresh parley and serve with mashed potatoes if desired.

• Like 2

Just last week I made a gluten free chicken pot pie.  It was really good!  I made GF biscuits for the top.  To make it easy, you can pick up GF biscuit mix.  You can have it mostly prepared the day before, and then make the GF biscuits right before you bake it.

I served whole roasted carrots (brushed with olive oil and then salt and pepper) and a salad.  The pie had chopped carrots in it, but the whole roasted carrots on the side looked nice.  :)

• Like 1

Scalloped/custard corn. 

Drain cans of whole kernel corn. Scramble one egg for each can of corn you use plus one more. Add a little milk to the egg. Sugar, salt, and pepper to taste--I use about 1/3 cup of sugar for 3-4 cans of corn, but some people like it sweeter. Combine all ingredients and bake. I think it bakes at 375 for about half an hour unless you put it in smaller pan that makes it thick (I use a small cake pan, not full size). It should be glossy but not wiggly when it's done. I also like to grate fresh nutmeg across the top.

My DH is gluten free. 

Honey baked ham

Mac N cheese made with Barilla GF elbow pasta

Baked apples

Mashed potatoes

Green beans (just be careful of seasonings such as broth, bacon, bullion cubes etc... they must all be GF)

Pamala brand has an awesome chocolate cake mix.  Even non GF people like it a lot whenever I make it.

Cherry cheesecake (Mi-Del has a GF graham cracker crust that's good)

• Like 1

Have you made this yet? I learned about it here. It's easy to marinate ahead and it bakes in about twenty minutes. I served it tonight with rice cooker cous cous with almonds and apricots added (you can do rice) and a chopped salad with a feta topping. You can do everything ahead of time and get the table set while the chicken cooks.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma

• Like 1

We might do a (store-bought :leaving: ) rotisserie chicken like we did for Thanksgiving.  (Instant  :leaving: ) mashed potatoes, buttered green beans and/or corn, cranberry sauce.

Or we might do spaghetti like we do every other Sunday.  (I'm the only one here who is gf, so I just make a small pot of my own gf pasta.)

• Like 2

You could fix roast and veggies in the crockpot that morning. Serve with a side salad and GF garlic/cheddar/herb drop biscuits. I use Pamela's pancake mix, some water, some canola oil, garlic powder, basil, salt, and cheddar cheese. Sorry I don't know specific amounts of water and oil. I just wing it until I get the right consistency. Baked apple halves with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon for dessert.

Another option is a loaded potato bar with options of leftover ham or chili as the main protein toppings.

• Like 2

I've done chicken pot pie at Christmas before, that's always good.  

You can make a beef stew.

I'm making:

- slow cooked (in oven) pork tenderloins in a balsamic-thyme-rosemary sauce

Instant mashed potatoes

Steamed carrots

Possibly green bean "packages" wrapped in a strip of bacon

I'll make a gluten free lemon tart and some gluten free "Christmas crack" for dessert, both can be done a day ahead or even two.

• Like 1

Thanks to this thread I now know what I'm making lol. We're having Christmas dinner at my moms but I wanted to make something nice for Christmas Eve, since my son will be leaving for his Dad's before Christmas dinner. And then my BIL and his girlfriend and father may come over Christmas day evening. I think I'll do ham on Christmas eve, then serve ham sandwiches and dessert and coffee and whatnot when BIl and company come over. 

• Like 2

Our christmas eve dinner is appetizers such as meatballs, chicken wings, cheese and crackers, fresh veggie tray, pickles and olives.  Would something like that work?

I think we're doing appetizers for Christmas day. I always make spinach bars at Christmas, so we'll have those and other appetizers as well. 

Other thoughts:

Soup

Chili and cornbread

Taco bar

• Like 1