Menu

I'm already tired of winter..

SparklyUnicorn

I am so over winter.  

I grew up in South Florida and moved to Ohio for college  I used to love winter - it was so exciting for me.  Now, 30+ years later, I hate being cold, I hate driving in the snow, and I hate not being able to run because our roads are too slippery.  I tried running last week and fell while running because it was so slippery and then almost wiped out twice walking home.  Dd is doing dual enrollment and it's a horrible drive to get the community college in the snow and the college never closes.  

ETA:  since I'm already  complaining, I'll say I am tired of shoveling snow, too (we live in the snow belt).  

Edited by Erica H
  • Like 1

I am so over winter.  

I grew up in South Florida and moved to Ohio for college  I used to love winter - it was so exciting for me.  Now, 30+ years later, I hate being cold, I hate driving in the snow, and I hate not being able to run because our roads are too slippery.  I tried running last week and fell while running because it was so slippery and then almost wiped out twice walking home.  Dd is doing dual enrollment and it's a horrible drive to get the community college in the snow and the college never closes.  

ETA:  since I'm already  complaining, I'll say I am tired of shoveling snow, too (we live in the snow belt).  

I've only lived in areas like this and I never liked it and probably never will.  I wish I could just hibernate and sleep through it. 

• Like 4

I'm so tired of winter. We've had snowstorms the past three weekends. My house is cold (and I wonder how they kept it warm the year it was built- 1880 was The Long Winter!).  The snowplow guy has already torn up my new grass and knocked over my half barrel planter.   

On the plus side, I'm enjoying the season of chili, homemade chicken and noodles, and other comfort food. 

• Like 1

I'm with all of you.  I would like winter to only be in December.  I know some older folks who leave for Fl. right after Christmas.  Maybe I'll go with them this year.  I was made for the South!  When we retire I don't want to live anywhere north of Wash. DC (Well, unless it's the Pacific NW--somewhere with Jet Stream warmth). Bleck. How did I end up here?????  We were interviewing in Southern Virginia when we got the job here. Should we have waited????????????????

• Like 2

It is 57dF here but DS11 is in a sweater, DS12 in a wool jacket and I am in a down jacket while reading inside a local library.

My DS11 was doing jumping jacks to keep warm while waiting for the library to open at 10am.

We just bought thick knee length wool socks for our kids a few days ago for housewear as kids have outgrown their bedroom slippers.

It is 57dF here but DS11 is in a sweater, DS12 in a wool jacket and I am in a down jacket while reading inside a local library.

My DS11 was doing jumping jacks to keep warm while waiting for the library to open at 10am.

We just bought thick knee length wool socks for our kids a few days ago for housewear as kids have outgrown their bedroom slippers.

That would feel tropical right about now.

• Like 5

Also where it was colder than Mars yesterday. This morning was more than thirty degrees warmer that yesterday morning, and it was still barely 20degreees. My mom tells the story of my dad's cousin who, in spite of growing up in the cold Midwest, had gotten soft after years of living in California and starting her family there. During one dead of winter visit back home, after bundling kids for some outing with all the extended cousins, she told my mom and aunt that she didn't know how they handled these winters all the time with kids, and if she lived back here, she'd have to drink a lot more. I think of her when I drink my nice warming half glass of red wine after a day of getting kids bundled and unbundled to go anywhere. And I remember once again that ds needs to dig through the box of gloves and hats to actually find the matches to the mismatched pair of gloves he's been insisting on wearing the last few weeks.

• Like 2

I'm already dreading next summer and it doesn't start for six more months. ;)

I'm soaking up and enjoying every refreshing bit of nice cold, clean, crisp air I can.

This is me, except we don't even get cold air here. I am trying to enjoy every second of winter because it'll be much too hot in less than four months.

• Like 4

It's going to be 69 tomorrow! I can't wait because we are freezing too. I know 50s doesn't sound cold, but the homes here are build without good insulation and wind is blowing from every window. I hate my skylights. My kids are refusing to understand the definition of winter and won't put shoes on. They went to the movie theatre yesterday in flip flops. What I miss most is daylight. It's dark at 5.

• Like 1

It's going to be 69 tomorrow! I can't wait because we are freezing too. I know 50s doesn't sound cold, but the homes here are build without good insulation and wind is blowing from every window. I hate my skylights. My kids are refusing to understand the definition of winter and won't put shoes on. They went to the movie theatre yesterday in flip flops. What I miss most is daylight. It's dark at 5.

That's seriously not cold, but I do get that it feels cold to those used to much warmer temperatures.

• Like 1

I know 50s doesn't sound cold, but the homes here are build without good insulation and wind is blowing from every window.

What I miss most is daylight. It's dark at 5.

Our patio door still leaks some wind chill but we just live with it since we closed all the windows. My unit is insulated from freeway noise so indirectly rather insulated for heat.

I don't like walking home from the library after 5pm in the dark so my husband would just pick us up from the library after work and drive about 500 feet home. We have speeding drivers on residential roads here especially at peak hours.

That's seriously not cold, but I do get that it feels cold to those used to much warmer temperatures.

It is the wind chill for us. If it is not windy, we are okay with lower temperatures down to 39degF/4degC. Temperatures have to hit above 90degF before we start feeling warm.

Do you not have a heater? 50F outside, even with draftiness, still shouldn't be that bad inside, if you have a heater. I've lived in North Texas in an old house without insulation and lots of gaps that the wind was coming through. It was bad when the space heaters in the room said it was 45F inside, but 50F outside wasn't a big deal.

And it's not even winter until tomorrow.

:glare:

I'm trying to get a better attitude about it, but mmmm it's challenging...

The only plus side I can find is that because we've already experienced the Polar Vortex twice this last week, regular winter seems almost balmy and warm.   :glare:

I'm definitely tired of driving in the ick and getting stuck in traffic because so many people forget how to drive in it and there are accidents everywhere.

I CAN see the plus side for the people who do business with cold and snow- warm winters mean the ski hills and snowmobile touristy things do bad business and that's not good.  I guess I can say that I empathize, though I don't participate in wintery activities like that.  But today is the first day of winter and I am looking at my seed catalogs very wistfully.  When winter can last until May here... 

It's snowing again. :thumbdown: