Menu

Where would you have your bank accounts?

Janeway

I am trying to pick a new bank.  We had Chase and they ended up being awful. I quickly transferred our money to Wells Fargo. I just do not feel good about Wells Fargo. 

I am wondering if I should consider USAA or Fidelity or a credit union? We have accounts right now with USAA and Fidelity. I like to diversify where I have my money, so I was thinking maybe a credit union? Years ago we were with a credit union back when there was a credit union with my husband's work. 

I think there had been a discussion here recently about banks vs credit unions and I think Fidelity and USAA are probably neither. But I did not pay attention to it at the time. I would love feedback and advice.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

We use our local credit union and love them. They have a heating fuel buying group that saves us a lot of money on heating our house. Our mortgage and one credit card are with them too and I love how easy it is to be able to pay the mortgage and credit card right from my bank home page. They have great customer service and really good rates too. 

• Like 2

Our local credit union is amazing. We have had bad experiences with Wells Fargo, and tend to only go local now. We do have one Chase credit card as our last ditch emergency backup though.

Edited by Arctic Mama

local credit union.  Big banks are for businesses, credit unions are for people. 

Our local credit union does everything we need it to do. We keep our checking there, credit cards, car loans etc. They know us, because we have been banking there for years. They have full online banking, we've been paying bills online for years. They have all that credit protection...sometimes a little too zealous, lol. We have gotten calls about suspicious activity on occasion. 

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

We started with a small local bank, and it was bought out twice! Now it's a big chain bank, but we've never changed because service has been fine. I think so much can vary by where you are and the people there. Make a list of the services that are most important to you, and ask some people locally where they bank and why, do they find various services are easy to use etc... 

• Like 1

We have accounts with a bank (I think it's the same one Merry mentioned) and our local credit union. Both have been excellent but we do much more business with the credit union. I get much more personal service there and I like how active they are giving back to the community. 

I had Wells Fargo for years and years (and actually WF bought out the bank I started with as a teen). It has definitely gone down hill. I also had an account with Bank of America. They started out o.k. but ended up awful. Just abysmal. But that may just be the local branch manager.

USAA has never let me down.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

About USAA--if dh's father was a marine, could we use its services?  Or does dh have to have served? 

They have a questionnaire on their site for joining.  You could, but your dh's father has to be a member of USAA for y'all to access the day-to-day banking services.  You are eligible to get their life insurance or investment services if not.

Edited by HomeAgain

We've had our accounts with BofA for 22 years. It's fine, I guess I don't require much from a bank, just keep my money safe.

I deposit checks with my phone or into the ATM.

I generally get cash from the ATM.

I only go into the bank and interact with people a few times a year.

We did take out a car loan at our local branch a few years ago. It took less than 30 minutes to get the approval and the interest rate was lower than anywhere else, around 3%.

We've had our accounts with BofA for 22 years. It's fine, I guess I don't require much from a bank, just keep my money safe.

I deposit checks with my phone or into the ATM.

I generally get cash from the ATM.

I only go into the bank and interact with people a few times a year.

We did take out a car loan at our local branch a few years ago. It took less than 30 minutes to get the approval and the interest rate was lower than anywhere else, around 3%.

O.k. I'm feeling bad.  With regards to my negative post on BofA up thread, you make a good point.  Our issues were because my parents' family business was being run through this bank and because it was somewhat complex the bank ended up being a terrible fit.  They were also very rude, paranoid, and generally ignorant and unhelpful.  However, I think a lot of that was because of the local branch manager and because of the complex nature of our situation.  For normal banking they may still be a perfectly acceptable suggestion.