Menu

Summer Immersion Programs?

molly75

Greetings,

I am new to the Forum -- nice to meet all of you! I am looking for a summer immersion program/language camp to send my three kids (ages 7, 14 and 17). Does anyone have programs recommendations? I see there are several programs abroad but prefer to stay in the U.S. 

Thanks,

Molly

• 2 weeks later...

Not in the US--I have considered but haven't tried the day camps in Quebec, (so I'd have to be there too, obviously). Maybe next year bc this year he is maybe going to Switzerland for a little bit.

I don't want to do Concordia because my DS's accent and conversational French are his strong points due to native tutor and spending time in France. I don't think learning from other learners would help (which is another reason I don't speak French in front of him anymore, I assist otherwise). But in the US, I think Concordia is the only choice pretty much. There's also classes (not camps) held in the summer at various Alliance Francaise or FIAF locations if near a big city.

Edited by madteaparty

Thank you! I will look into this. Have your children personally attended? Do you know if they have many homeschooling families participate? 

My kids haven't attended it, but we know many who did, and know some people who have worked there too.  (We live in Minnesota.)  I have two children who are fluent in a second language.  They did immersion programs after high school, abroad.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Day Programs: French-American Schools within the US often have summer programs through Middle School. Here are links to 2 schools: www.fasps.org and sdfrenchschool.org

Away Programshttp://www.canoeisland.org/

This one goes through high school I believe

My children have been to both the French American school camps I listed, and they are a great, immersive experience. I have heard really great things about the Canoe Island camps from friends.

• 3 weeks later...

Not in the US--I have considered but haven't tried the day camps in Quebec, (so I'd have to be there too, obviously). Maybe next year bc this year he is maybe going to Switzerland for a little bit.

I don't want to do Concordia because my DS's accent and conversational French are his strong points due to native tutor and spending time in France. I don't think learning from other learners would help (which is another reason I don't speak French in front of him anymore, I assist otherwise). But in the US, I think Concordia is the only choice pretty much. There's also classes (not camps) held in the summer at various Alliance Francaise or FIAF locations if near a big city.

There are a LOT of French-from-France tutors in the Ottawa area. All the French language training with the federal government is done in France French. The problem might be that they are very well paid and busy with government, and may not do youth summer camps.