Menu

One more AOPS question...

The board is slow, I'm allowed to start a new topic, right?  :-)

How much standard (USA) vs metric measuring is there in the books? 

Obviously living in Europe, my kids need to know the metric system inside and out (but it's not difficult, so there's that!) but I'm not opposed to them doing standard as well.  After all, they are half-American, and working in standard units does help in terms of mental gymnastics!  But if the books are very strongly biased standard units, I may try to substitute a bit of metric in there.  

For comparison, I have not been bothered by the standard/metric mix in SM CA standards edition.  

• Like 1

The board is slow, I'm allowed to start a new topic, right?  :-)

How much standard (USA) vs metric measuring is there in the books? 

Obviously living in Europe, my kids need to know the metric system inside and out (but it's not difficult, so there's that!) but I'm not opposed to them doing standard as well.  After all, they are half-American, and working in standard units does help in terms of mental gymnastics!  But if the books are very strongly biased standard units, I may try to substitute a bit of metric in there.  

For comparison, I have not been bothered by the standard/metric mix in SM CA standards edition.

According to dd there is not much about measuring.

It is one of the topic we supplemented.

And one more after that...

What do the circles with numbers in them above the aops chapter headings mean???  I'm seeing them in the samples and I want to know if it's come kind of puzzle I'm supposed to understand.  lol

It is like the 24 game:

All numbers has to be used to create 24

• Like 2

According to dd there is not much about measuring.

It is one of the topic we supplemented.

It is like the 24 game:

All numbers has to be used to create 24

We did pre-algebra and are halfway through algebra, and there is very little involving units so far...and other than a bit of metric with exponents, nothing where it mattered what units were used (you find area the same way whether it's inches or cm).

Thank you both!  It sounds like we'll need to supplement a little bit as well, just to make sure the metric system is quite solid.  

And thank you for clearing up the mystery about those circles!  LOL!

• Like 1