Menu

SAT subject tests: which test prep book to use?

For the SAT Biology test and the SAT World History test, do you prefer one of these over the other?

Choice A:

The Barron's books:

Barron's Biology

Barron's World History

Or

Choice B:

The Official Study Guide for all SAT Tests  (This is the big blue book for sale on the College Board.)

Do people use just one or do they use both?  And if you couldn't use both, which one would you use?

• Like 1

I think it depends on your student's goals. Mine wanted high scores. He preferred using Barrons (first) + (followed by) The Official Guide (a few days before the test). If I had to choose one I would choose Barrons (it over preps).

ETA: The Official Guide only has one test per subject. And it's about $9+ cheaper on Amazon.

Good luck!

Edited by quark
  • Like 5

Barron's

If you have money for both get both. Official

Guide is mostly just practice tests. It doesn't do much, if any, teaching or review of the subject material.

Barron's is 200 pages of info and review plus practice tests :) I feel like it was way more worth our money and I have several friends IRL whose kids used it and scored over 700s

• Like 2

Those that took the biology anyone had luck with taking it two years after bio?

I personally can't imagine that but I guess you could just have your child take a practice test and see how close he or she is. :)

My ds will have over 1000 flash cards, the Barron's book and 3 practice tests as well as khan academy sections and his regular course. Like our IRL fiends he plans to review/study for almost a month intensively with me coaching / guiding.

I can't Imagine all that being in his brain so well after 24 months :)

But there are always those kids who are motivated !

For the SAT Biology test and the SAT World History test, do you prefer one of these over the other?

Choice A:

The Barron's books:

Or

Choice B:

The Official Study Guide for all SAT Tests (This is the big blue book for sale on the College Board.)

Do people use just one or do they use both? And if you couldn't use both, which one would you use?

My oldest would take his first subject test in June and not for biology or history so no BTDT.

The Barron's books and the Princeton Review books 2016 edition is available at my local libraries so many students would borrow instead of buy. The subject tests are an hour each and the diagnostic test is shorter I think. So the Barron's biology book for example takes three sessions of one hour each to do. How much time you need to spend on the review chapters varies per student/child.

The CollegeBoard book has only one test per subject. If your kid likes Starbucks like mine does, your child could finish the test at Barnes and Noble cafe for the cost of a drink. Or you could suggest your library buys a copy and put the copy in the Reference (in library use only) section.

I'll use both but if I have to spend my money would pay for Barron's for my oldest.

Edited by Arcadia

We used Barron's, Princeton Review, and like Quark said, saved the CB official old exam for last.  Barron's and PR were enormously helpful because while the WTM biology class did a great job of covering most of the material on the exam, it didn't cover everything.  So we used those books to identify what additional preparation she needed before taking the exam.  

• Like 2

The tests in the College Board book are the closest to the real thing, and presented in the real format. If at all possible, it is wise to take the practice test in CB book just before taking the real one. And if your dc has not taken an SAT Subject test before, seeing the real format in the CB book is invaluable!

The CB book does not prep you on the material, however. FWIW (and our experience is 10 yrs old), we did not find the Barron's Biology helpful at all. It had far too much detail that was too far afield of the actual questions that were asked on the test. For Biology, we found Princeton Review and SAT II Biology for Dummies the most helpful. This is not to say Barron's is never any good--we used Barron's for Chem and it was excellent for that test.

My dc never took the World History test, so I don't know if Barron's is good for that one. 

• Like 1