Menu

Christmas music

Night Elf

Yea or Nay? I think I'm the only one in my immediate family that likes to listen to Christmas music. I've got my favorite medley album in now, enjoying it before DH gets home from work. He said he'll listen but he doesn't love it. FWIW, we're not a religious family, but I've become very fond of all Christmas music. I don't have to be religious to enjoy it.

Depends. Everything in moderation. 

I love music, am a singer, enjoy good recordings of traditional carols sung by people who can actually sing or played by people who play their instruments well.

I detest being inundated with cheesy popular Christmas music whenever I enter a store (feels like it starts after Halloween...) 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Depends. Everything in moderation. 

I love music, am a singer, enjoy good recordings of traditional carols sung by people who can actually sing or played by people who play their instruments well.

I detest being inundated with cheesy popular Christmas music whenever I enter a store (feels like it starts after Halloween...) 

The kids' drama class is held in a church building.  One night while I was waiting I could hear Christmas music over the loud speaker.  It was beautiful traditional songs turned into pop tunes.  TERRIBLE! 

I do enjoy any music played well.  I've noticed a lot of traditional Christmas songs all hacked to bits by modern artists lately.  It's ridiculous how badly they can mess up a wonderful song. Even my dc are complaining. It's the contemporary Christian artists who are doing the worst of this. I've had to change radio stations.

I love Christmas music. I can't stand some of the songs on "LiteFM" station that's all Christmas from mid-November to midnight Christmas Day. I always turn off Santa Baby as soon as it comes on, along with a few others. Bing Crosby Christmas songs have been a favorite since we used to listen to his record at my grandparents' house when I was a kid. My kids have developed an appreciation for his Pandora station too. I haven't purposely put on a religious Christmas music station, but I love religious music too.

I've had a hard time with winter weather the past couple of years and I noticed today that my Christmas playlist is heavy on Beach Boys holiday songs and my favorite is Kenny Chesney's All I Want for Christmas is a Real Good Tan.  ( And I told dh and the kids tonight that one year soon I'm going to skip Christmas and spend it on the beach in south Florida) 

So yeah...I do love Christmas music.   I do not want to hear Santa Baby or Baby it's Cold Outside ever again, though. 

Edited by Annie G

I love MY Christmas music! We like the GRP CD's (more jazzy instrumental stuff), Nat King Cole, Harry Connick Jr., Johnny Mathis, Diana Krall, a few others. I can listen to the Christian Christmas radio station for awhile, but the other station I had been playing during the fall (classic 80's tunes) has horrible stuff. No traditional carols, nothing religious, plenty of songs you've never heard before (Christmas in the Northwest--ugh!, Kelly Clarkson). It seems like they own less Christmas music than we do because they play the same songs over and over. I finally had to change the station.

We all love Christmas music in our house.  It's all we play starting the day after Thanksgiving, and we have it on almost constantly.  :D  I love the old traditional songs by Perry Como, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc.  I also like modern singers like Michael Buble.  Often we'll just have classical Christmas music on in the background (instrumental only), or NPR's sacred Christmas music as it gets closer to Christmas.  The Nutcracker is nice too.  

I do get tired of Santa Baby!  We rarely just play the Christmas radio station here because they keep playing songs like Santa Baby over and over and over again.

I love to sing ALL THE VERSES, though sometimes I selectively mumble if the song gets too religious for this atheist. (Baby being born - okay, fine. Actual scripture? Only if it's general enough that I think we can all agree on it.) I like the religious carols, I like the non-religious ones, I like the cheesy ones. Don't always like hearing them played. Some singers, I don't know, it's like they have no idea what the point is.

I think my kids don't like it though - the older one has spent the better part of two days writing a song entitled "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Murder". (Then again, it's hard to tell with her some times. She only recently admitted to us, aloud, that she's actually not a vampire.)

Also: Obligatory XKCD now with bonus Maccabeats! (Can't let Christmas have all the fun! Anyway, Hanukkah this year starts the same day, doesn't it? I always try to remember. I'm not even a little bit Jewish, but if you think for one second that I'm going to pass up an opportunity to gorge myself on potato pancakes and doughnuts, you've got another think coming!)

I like some, dislike some.   I don't like to hear it till about 2 weeks before Christmas, and I wish it didn't disappear from the radio on December 26.   Of course I can play it at home or in the car whenever I like.  

It's not really Christmas to me till I hear Brenda Lee singing "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."  Brenda only.  That is one song that should never have been redone by anyone.

I like religious carols, but prefer it when they are done simply, not by massive choirs.  

Stupid novelty songs like "Grandma Got Run Over..." make me want to cry.  Hate that kind of thing.   

My kids like it. We're atheists so we're not really into carols. There are a couple playlists on Amazon Music that I don't mind, but they're heavy on the crooners and oldies type music.

However, if I never hear Mariah Carey's song, "Do They Know It's Christmas," and whatever one Paul McCartney sang it will be too soon. They make me feel stabby.

We're atheists who are into carols. They are very much cultural music here. Calvin and I normally go to church at midnight on Christmas eve.

Yeah, after Bible college, seminary, and working at a church on top of dh growing up in a church three times a week and any time the doors are open family I'm afraid we've had our fill. :p

• Like 1