Menu

I need recs for the BEST ear plugs to block snoring... please...

I can't take my dh's snoring anymore.  I have Mack's slim fit earplugs that fit better than normal sized but they are not blocking out his snoring enough (29 db canceling).  I'm ordering a noise machine but I'd like some better ear plugs.  Help a sister out!  :)

• Like 1

I can't take my dh's snoring anymore.  I have Mack's slim fit earplugs that fit better than normal sized but they are not blocking out his snoring enough (29 db canceling).  I'm ordering a noise machine but I'd like some better ear plugs.  Help a sister out!  :)

Mack's Pillow Soft silicone earplugs work better, I think.  I break one in half and use each half, pushing it in a little to block sound (but not hard or deep). 

• Like 2

My dh snored. And then I started waking in the night because he would stop. And then start again. So finally we (kids reported it too if he napped during the day) convinced him to go to the doctor.

Sleep apnea - as many as 60 interrupts in his sleep in one hour - longest being 90 seconds, but, of course, most were much, much shorter. 

CPAP machine = no snoring, and a much happier and well-rested husband. It took me some time to get used to the quiet though. 

I like the foam earplugs, but those aren't going to help more than the ones you already have. Maybe putting noise cancelling headphones on top of earplugs/ 

• Like 2

I feel your pain, sister! 

Yes, the silicone ones work best for me as well. 

I like these

https://smile.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-Silicone-Earplugs-Value/dp/B003LZQGN6/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1482177395&sr=8-1&keywords=mack%27s+pillow+soft

I use one and split it in half. I just sort of smush it in there, lol.  I poke it a bit to seal it and it works great.  I am a small person and those pink 'slim' earplugs HURT my ears. I have a difficult time finding earbuds that are small enough as well. These squishy plugs work much better and don't hurt.  You can reuse them for quite a few nights before you need to use another one.

• Like 1

He probably has sleep apnea, which—if ignored—will almost certainly shorten his life. 

He should have a sleep study. Sticking your finger's in your ear is not the answer (literally or figuratively) when there is an obvious problem.

Be smart.

Bill

• Like 4

I used sponge ones, rolled them tight, pushed them in.

Also, DH couldn't go to sleep before I did.  It was almost a rule.

Later in life I started to get outer ear infections often, very painful and hard to treat, so I had to give up the earplugs.

Around that same time DH had realized that he's at high risk for diabetes and lost a bunch of weight.  That, coupled with not sleeping on his back, pretty much stopped the heavy snoring.

Later he got a CPAP machine, and he uses that all the time now.  It took him a while to get used to it, but now he can't stand not to have it with him even when he travels.

• Like 1

I also suggest he get tested for sleep apnea because it can shorten his life. My dh's is so bad he is recommended to never sleep without his BiPap machine as he could die in his sleep.

(When he finally got off the writing list for a sleep study (3 years after being unofficially diagnosed while he was in the hospital for something else) he was told he had the worst case they had ever tasted there.)

There are listed of symptoms and effects of not treated, if he needs convincing)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I, too, would wish he could be convinced to get a sleep study. It will shorten his life. But I know you can't make an adult do something so...

My husband agreed to wear one of those mouthpieces you get online--SnoreRX. It took some adjustment for him to get used to wearing it, but he felt so much more rested after he adjusted. He also wears one of those shirts to keep him off his back. With the combination, he doesn't snore anymore, and I assume he is having far less apnea if any.

I cant wear ear plugs so I have my own bedroom.

DH has had 2 surgeries-- both helped some, but now he has put on 20 pounds it is back to bad again.  He can't find a c-pap mask that will fit his face/beard and he will NOT lose the beard!  His beard is not long either--

• Like 1

Trust me, I have begged, pleaded, etc. for him to go get a sleep study.  He does not want to be tied to the machine and loves to sleep on him stomach.  This is a man who never sees a doctor (never gets sick but doesn't like screening tests), and doesn't even go to the dentist!  He is a freak about his teeth being clean though so don't get too grossed out, lol. 

We did sleep separately for many years but the relationship suffered.  We still do occasionally if one of us needs to be up very early or has a something important going on. 

Thanks for the recommendations.  I ordered 4 different kinds and a noise machine today.  I had no idea that silicone or wax ear plugs existed so I'm excited to try those.

• Like 2

Seriously, the cpap machine has been a life changer for us. My husband is a new person because he is finally getting enough sleep and I feel better too.

The machine is quiet and my husband has no trouble sleeping with his mask on. They can even do the sleep study at home.

• Like 1

And here I always thought that getting men to do what they otherwise might not, was the second (or possibly third) most important attribute of being a woman?

In all seriousness untreated sleep apnea kills. Some things in a partnership should be non-negotiable.

Otherwise, the silence that comes may not be the outcome you've planned on.

A good APAP machine can end snoring, the disruption of sleep for both partners, and prevent a needless early death.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 3

Just for a different perspective, my husband's snoring is horrible and is NOT caused by sleep apnea. He did the testing. No apnea. He just has ridiculously huge tonsils that block his airway. Losing weight (probably 20 pounds or so) would help, but he has snored his whole life, even during high school athlete weight periods.

Right now we do sleep in separate rooms, but I miss the closeness of reading/watching TV together before bed, and the kid-free talking time. I wish we had a machine that could control his snoring, but it's not always sleep apnea.

• Like 2

Just for a different perspective, my husband's snoring is horrible and is NOT caused by sleep apnea. He did the testing. No apnea. He just has ridiculously huge tonsils that block his airway. Losing weight (probably 20 pounds or so) would help, but he has snored his whole life, even during high school athlete weight periods.

Right now we do sleep in separate rooms, but I miss the closeness of reading/watching TV together before bed, and the kid-free talking time. I wish we had a machine that could control his snoring, but it's not always sleep apnea.

My kids have all inherited my husband's ridiculously large tonsils too. They do snore lightly and aren't even close to overweight. Has your husband talked to an ENT about having the tonsils removed? They may not unless he has problems with strep, but it could be worth checking into if the snoring is affecting your marriage.

My husband has mild apnaea and snores constantly.  He is not overweight.  He was given the option of treatment and used a CPAP for a while.  Unfortunately, despite months of practice, he could not find a way to avoid stressing his back due to the sleeping positions.  He stopped using the CPAP (his doctor is not worried about this) and I wear earplugs.

Do you live in the US? My mom swears by the Walgreens brand blue ear plugs. She said they worked really well to block out my Dad's snoring (he's pretty loud). Dh wears them when he has to sleep during the day while we're home and he has to sleep. They work well for him, too.

Trust me, I have begged, pleaded, etc. for him to go get a sleep study.  He does not want to be tied to the machine and loves to sleep on him stomach.  This is a man who never sees a doctor (never gets sick but doesn't like screening tests), and doesn't even go to the dentist!  He is a freak about his teeth being clean though so don't get too grossed out, lol. 

We did sleep separately for many years but the relationship suffered.  We still do occasionally if one of us needs to be up very early or has a something important going on. 

Thanks for the recommendations.  I ordered 4 different kinds and a noise machine today.  I had no idea that silicone or wax ear plugs existed so I'm excited to try those.

Please come back and post your results.  I have a noise machine but it gives me a horrible headache when I use it.  Sigh.  My husband used to snore horribly so I put up with the headache.  Now his snoring is milder but still enough to wake me several times a night.  Ive tried so many things but never thought of ear plugs.  Duh.  So Id love to hear which ones work best for you. 

For those who had trouble finding a CPAP machine to fit, my dh has just a couple of plugs to stick into his nostrils (basically) and a strap to pull around his head, and I think he had a chin strap to keep his mouth closed (but didn't need that). So fit isn't that much of a problem anymore.

But it is worth getting checked out. 

Please come back and post your results. I have a noise machine but it gives me a horrible headache when I use it. Sigh. My husband used to snore horribly so I put up with the headache. Now his snoring is milder but still enough to wake me several times a night. Ive tried so many things but never thought of ear plugs. Duh. So Id love to hear which ones work best for you.

If you have Amazon Prime there are white noise channels, you can choose the type of white noise. I napped through one called storms the other day and it was actually relaxing.
  • 11 months later...

He probably has sleep apnea, which—if ignored—will almost certainly shorten his life.

He should have a sleep study. Sticking your finger's in your ear is not the answer (literally or figuratively) when there is an obvious problem.

Be smart.

Bill

Another recommendation to do a sleep study. DH and I were both surprised at how severe his apnea was when he did one. Since he got a CPAP, we both sleep better.

And here I always thought that getting men to do what they otherwise might not, was the second (or possibly third) most important attribute of being a woman?

Good to know I’m less of a woman because I have poor persuasion skills and can’t manage to convince my ultra-stubborn, likely-on-the-spectrum husband to do anything. Thanks.

(My situation is just like the OP’s, and even my in-laws don’t understand why dh won’t just do the obvious thing and have the sleep study.)

For the OP: I have found squishy earplugs at Walgreens with a 32 db rating. They work pretty well as long as I’m the first one to get to sleep.

Edited by musicianmom

I understand your pain. For the past three years, dh has worked nights. It had its disadvantages, but the advantage was that I could sleep alone. Just last week he started working days. He is willing to do a sleep study, so we need to get that set up. Until then, some nights are spent sleeping either on the couch or in the recliner.

I never found any ear plugs that were comfortable enough and would block out all the noise. I hope you find some that are effective!!

Good to know I’m less of a woman because I have poor persuasion skills and can’t manage to convince my ultra-stubborn, likely-on-the-spectrum husband to do anything. Thanks.

(My situation is just like the OP’s, and even my in-laws don’t understand why dh won’t just do the obvious thing and have the sleep study.)

For the OP: I have found squishy earplugs at Walgreens with a 32 db rating. They work pretty well as long as I’m the first one to get to sleep.

You’re definitely not less of a woman, but I sincerely believe that married men live longer because spouses talk them into a trip to the doctor. Some men are just more stubborn and generally those men aren’t hanging out on homeschool boards. My own dh dodged a bullet with insanely high bp because I convinced him to get checked out. Even with that victory under my belt I can’t imagine how I’d talk him into a sleep study.

Agreeing w/ the cpap suggestions. It took dh YEARS to finally hear me and do it but he finally do, so please do be (gently) persistent.

Even w/ the cpap, i’m Such a light sleep every little noise wakes me up. Tried every ear plug known to man (the wax ones were ok, the best of what I tried) and what finally worked was using a white noise app on my phone with earbuds. Just a white noise MACHINE didn’t work.

These earbuds are easy to sleep in and nice and soft compared to any others, and I’m a side sleeper so I sleep right on them: MAXROCK silicone sleeping earbuds, from Amazon. Good luck!

HEAROS Xtreme Protection. I was literally in despair when they changed the design and they didn't work for me any more and I couldn't find anything comparable...luckily they changed back to the original design. DH has a CPAP and that thing is LOUD. I also put a pillow over my head. I only have one certain pillow that works...it's a fat smooshy pillow, I suppose it's a feather pillow.

My mom says cotton balls work better than any earplugs she's tried.

And here I always thought that getting men to do what they otherwise might not, was the second (or possibly third) most important attribute of being a woman?

In all seriousness untreated sleep apnea kills. Some things in a partnership should be non-negotiable.

Otherwise, the silence that comes may not be the outcome you've planned on.

A good APAP machine can end snoring, the disruption of sleep for both partners, and prevent a needless early death.

Bill

I didn't realize there was a brand of earplugs called "You are a failure as a woman and you are killing your husband."

I'll have to look and see if they sell them online.