Menu

What's with the ads?

sheryl

Our yellow lab passed away and I'm overwhelmed!

Our sweet 13 + yo female yellow lab passed away this past Friday around 11 pm.  I was not going to post this as it's very personal but I sure could use prayers from you. 

ETA:  I am so incredibly sad.  DH and DD are too.   This is VERY HARD!   We love our pets and consider them as part of the family! 

Thank you! 

Edited by sheryl

Lost my yellow lab the day my son was born. Over 17 yrs ago and I'm still not over it. Once a few years later we were moving and someone asked me, "Where do you want this?" It was her frisbee. I replied, "In my coffin." 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Oh, Angie, I understand!  

I'm just a wreck.  I know she is no longer in any pain but I consider her my "furry" daughter!

• Like 1

I know I've said this before, but losing my dear pets is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.  

So sorry for your loss.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3

This hits hard. Having been there a few times myself, I can only give you a virtual hug. :grouphug: So sorry!

Our sweet boy (in my profile pic) passed Oct. 6 of this year.  ETA: he would've been 15 this Christmas and he was our "practice baby."

I have only recently been able to talk about him without sobbing. My youngest child, every night at bedtime, tells me she misses him.

It really is hard. (Hugs)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

I'm sorry. It's so, so hard. It's been 6 years since our black lab passed (and she was closer to 15 than 14) and it was hard for a long time. We just finally got another dog--a yellow lab pup.

Our sweet 13 + yo female yellow lab passed away this past Friday around 11 pm. I was not going to post this as it's very personal but I sure could use prayers from you.

ETA: I am so incredibly sad. DH and DD are too. This is VERY HARD! We love our pets and consider them as part of the family!

Thank you!

I am so sorry. I just lost my Brittany 3 weeks ago. I am broken hearted. She was almost 13 but she just got sick so fast.

Today I told Dh I was glad she wasn't here to suffer through these frigid temps. But I do miss her so much.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.  I've cried pretty much non-stop since Friday night.   She's worth it and so much more!  When I woke up to get ready for church today my eyes were puffy. 

If I don't get a grip soon I may go in for counseling.  Seriously. 

Mercy, thanks, that's sweet.  Ali, an almost 15 yo lab.  Wow!  Our first lab was 11 y 11 m (1 month shy of turning 12) and Jordan turned 13 on Oct. 8. 

Scarlett, sorry for you as well.  Yes, indeed.  We protect those we love - human and pet family! :)

I am so zonked out and now dd is showing signs of extreme sadness.  Please pray for her.  We've had 4 family members and have known of 3 others in addition to our beloved Jordan who passed away in the last 4 years.  It's more than she can bear. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so very hard. There's a hole in your family.

We lost our 8 yr old catahoula to cancer just 5 days ago. The ache in my heart feels like it will never stop.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so very hard. There's a hole in your family.

We lost our 8 yr old catahoula to cancer just 5 days ago. The ache in my heart feels like it will never stop.

Ohh, sorry for you and your family!  As I told DH and DD there is a void; an emptiness that can not be replaced.

Our first lab wasn't replaced either.  We waited a year or more before we adopted Jordan and she adopted us. 

I don't know about adopting another dog.  It's just so hard.

Our first lab and Jordan were purebreds.  I would seriously consider "IF" we adopt again to go through a shelter.  Our cat came from one.  Who on earth would surrender a Ragdoll?  But, if we adopt a canine again it would probably be a shelter dog who is slightly older.  I'd need to seek DH's and DD's approval on this though and make it a family decision.  I know they'd be supportive.

Your dog was not old.  I'm so sorry.

• Like 1

I am so sorry.  My sweet kitty had to be put to sleep a couple of months ago.  I still cry when I think about him. Sometimes our pets leave a big, gaping hole in our hearts.  I am so sorry that you are hurting.

Edited by Garga

I'm so sorry. We've lost two animals in the past few months and I really miss them. For animal lovers, they are such a part of the family and it's such a great loss when they're gone. She was a lucky dog to be so loved and I'm sure you gave her a good life!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  So, so sad for you. And for all the others who have lost dear pets recently.

We lost our sweet boy (my avatar), a gentle flat-coat retriever, this summer, to cancer. He was 13, and we had him for over 12 years. Still tearing up when I think of him. 

May you soon arrive at the place where you remember all the joy and laughter and fun times with your furry family member.

I'm so sorry. My dog is still here--my husband refused to put him down, and part of me is glad and part very sad. I don't know what the right thing to do is. I really understand your grief. It is hard for me to truly sympathize with people until the same or similar experience happens to me--now I "get it." 

hugs to you

Thanks y'all.

Chris, bless your heart.  It's just so sad.  I don't think there is a right or wrong as everyone processes it a bit differently.  Our first lab, Brookes (female yellow lab) had exploratory surgery on Christmas Eve morning in 2002.  There was nothing they could do and she never returned home.  That was traumatic.  Any day is bad but the day before Christmas.  I thought there was a possibility she'd be ok but such was not the case. VERY HARD!

Jordan (Jordy) was the week before Christmas. 

If possible try to avoid doing anything at this time.  It's incredibly stressful.  Of course, if your doggie is in pain you need to address that to spare them.    I hope you'll be able to enjoy more time with him.

Apprentice, yes, she was part of our family!  :)

Oh, Angie, I understand!  

I'm just a wreck.  I know she is no longer in any pain but I consider her my "furry" daughter!

Yep. We had this dog before we had kids, so it was even harder. 

The loss of a beloved pet is such a unique pain isn't it?  Scarlett, Spryte, Chris have all been in my thoughts!  I'm so sorry, Sheryl for your loss! I know it just hurts so much.  Sending lots of  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: to you all.

• Like 1

Our first lab entered the family before dd was born.   After dd was born our first lab lived 3 1/2 years.  We waited a year and adopted Jordan when dd was 4 1/2 years.

Now dd is 17 1/2.  She mentioned the other day that some people have more than one dog at a time maybe for a reason.  Yes, it's the love of dogs but she reasoned that if there were a few years between the 2 dogs that if one passed away and went to dog heaven that there would be 1 left so the blow would be hard but maybe not so hard.  We have 1 dog and 1 cat and now 1 cat.  There is an extreme void not being able to care for her, play with her, take her on walks, feed her, hug her, scold her for getting in to the cat litter box and the trash can for treats, etc.  With a 2nd dog, there would be a loneliness in not having Jordy but we would still be doing dog things with a 2nd dog.

Is this anyone's experience?

Hugs sent to all of you. I'm so sorry. Losing a beloved member of the family is really hard. We love our 4 leggeds intensely and they are an integral part of the family. I'm all too familiar with the pain and...I'm really sorry. Hugs and more hugs. 

Our first lab entered the family before dd was born.   After dd was born our first lab lived 3 1/2 years.  We waited a year and adopted Jordan when dd was 4 1/2 years.

Now dd is 17 1/2.  She mentioned the other day that some people have more than one dog at a time maybe for a reason.  Yes, it's the love of dogs but she reasoned that if there were a few years between the 2 dogs that if one passed away and went to dog heaven that there would be 1 left so the blow would be hard but maybe not so hard.  We have 1 dog and 1 cat and now 1 cat.  There is an extreme void not being able to care for her, play with her, take her on walks, feed her, hug her, scold her for getting in to the cat litter box and the trash can for treats, etc.  With a 2nd dog, there would be a loneliness in not having Jordy but we would still be doing dog things with a 2nd dog.

Is this anyone's experience?

Yes. I do like having two dogs for that reason, and it's also why I always prefer for there to be at least a few years' difference in their ages (and yet another reason I'd never get two puppies at the same time).

I'm so sorry for all of you dealing with the loss of a fur baby. Our last loss was several years ago and it was excruciating. Our pets are closer to us than most family members, so it's especially hard. (((Hugs))) to you all!

And mercyA, I agree with you... I *know* I'll be reunited with my babies one day. 💖

Thanks everyone. I've cried pretty much non-stop since Friday night. She's worth it and so much more! When I woke up to get ready for church today my eyes were puffy.

If I don't get a grip soon I may go in for counseling. Seriously.

Mercy, thanks, that's sweet. Ali, an almost 15 yo lab. Wow! Our first lab was 11 y 11 m (1 month shy of turning 12) and Jordan turned 13 on Oct. 8.

Scarlett, sorry for you as well. Yes, indeed. We protect those we love - human and pet family! :)

I am so zonked out and now dd is showing signs of extreme sadness. Please pray for her. We've had 4 family members and have known of 3 others in addition to our beloved Jordan who passed away in the last 4 years. It's more than she can bear.

Oddly, my ds16 doesn't seem overly sad. He did do everything I felt was proper.....he took off work the day we put her down, etc.....and he was helpful as the vet put her to sleep....he held our dog until the very end...and helped his dad wrap her in her favorite blankets and load her into his dad's truck. But basically after that.....no emotion.

But my son figured out when he was 7 that his dog would not survive until he was an adult. After that he was never the same toward his dog. :(

Scarlett,  I'm sorry to hear about that.  I missed it.  It's just VERY SAD for you, me and everyone who experiences this. 

I have so many emotions flooding me right now and trying to understand why I'm so emotional.  Honestly, I've been crying all.the.time.

Maybe your ds does express more emotion but not in your presence?  Could it be that?  Maybe he's trying to spare you?  I can see my dd doing that to a point.