Menu

WWYD if your spouse wants to bicycle from Buffalo to Albany in December? Update post #185

luuknam

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not worried about her being forced into some sort of shelter, but I am worried about her being threatened with arrest for trespassing and forced to move on in the dark (best case senario) or shot (worst case) by suspicious land owner. This is upstate NY, there are a lot of guns about and people know how to use them.  My friend's dad regularly patrolled his land with a gun. It's pretty darn common.  And they are already used to pot growers trying to sneak onto isolated plots of land to set up little patches of pot amidst the corn..or worse. If she is camping by the side of the road she will be assumed to be homeless or up to no good. It's going to be up to her to defuse the situation every time.  If she takes it away from the road and deeper into the field or woods it will be even worse because then land owners or law enforcement will be even more convinced she is trying to hide.

You can't just trespass and expect people to be cool with it. It's a crime and will be treated as such.

How about she spend this winter getting ready to try this next winter.  Why doesn't she start with taking some long rides, see what it's like to ride 100-150 miles in a day.  Again, the experienced riders I know are tossing those century rides off like nothing. They do it every weekend.  She could ride somewhere, spend the night in a hotel and ride 100 - 150 miles back. She could try that a few times and get to learn what it's like and what she needs.

• Like 13

I'm not worried about her being forced into some sort of shelter, but I am worried about her being threatened with arrest for trespassing and forced to move on in the dark (best case senario) or shot (worst case) by suspicious land owner. This is upstate NY, there are a lot of guns about and people know how to use them.  My friend's dad regularly patrolled his land with a gun. It's pretty darn common.  And they are already used to pot growers trying to sneak onto isolated plots of land to set up little patches of pot amidst the corn..or worse. If she is camping by the side of the road she will be assumed to be homeless or up to no good. It's going to be up to her to defuse the situation every time.  If she takes it away from the road and deeper into the field or woods it will be even worse because then land owners or law enforcement will be even more convinced she is trying to hide.

You can't just trespass and expect people to be cool with it. It's a crime and will be treated as such.

How about she spend this winter getting ready to try this next winter.  Why doesn't she start with taking some long rides, see what it's like to ride 100-150 miles in a day.  Again, the experienced riders I know are tossing those century rides off like nothing. They do it every weekend.  She could ride somewhere, spend the night in a hotel and ride 100 - 150 miles back. She could try that a few times and get to learn what it's like and what she needs.

Yeah I'd worry about the same.  And with everything being white, it's probably harder to hide. 

What about finding some B&Bs along the route or something?  I know that would make it more expensive, but it strikes me as a better, warmer, and safer rest. 

I like the train idea.  You could even look into Greyhound.  Their prices are really decent.  I imagine there is a way to take a bike with you. 

• Like 2

I'm praying that someone, whether it be you or someone else, is able to talk some sense

into her and get her to realize how much of a very bad idea this is. There are SO many factors

she doesn't seem to have considered - including her physical endurance training - that by everything

I've read here, and your own words, I would definitely say this puts her as a definite danger to herself,

in this scenario, and possibly to others. I mean, what if a driver sees her at the last minute and swerves to 

avoid hitting her, thereby putting himself in danger as he spins down the road, and whatever others may be 

in his path? This is really not well thought out on her part.

I understand getting a wild hair in your head and, being an adventurer, thinking, "Eh, it will all work out."

But this particular scenario? This is not something you survive without first doing some intensive prep and 

training for it!

Praying for all of you!

• Like 3

The area between Buffalo and Albany is not desolate; there are many smaller cities along the way where someone could get help, find a phone, or take a rest, find a hospital. You can take it as slow or as fast as you want to and rest a lot as you go.

I actually think it sounds like an interesting adventure, just would not I would be interested in.

I'm praying that someone, whether it be you or someone else, is able to talk some sense

into her and get her to realize how much of a very bad idea this is. There are SO many factors

she doesn't seem to have considered - including her physical endurance training - that by everything

I've read here, and your own words, I would definitely say this puts her as a definite danger to herself,

in this scenario, and possibly to others. I mean, what if a driver sees her at the last minute and swerves to

avoid hitting her, thereby putting himself in danger as he spins down the road, and whatever others may be

in his path? This is really not well thought out on her part.

I understand getting a wild hair in your head and, being an adventurer, thinking, "Eh, it will all work out."

But this particular scenario? This is not something you survive without first doing some intensive prep and

training for it!

Praying for all of you!

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

There are also plenty of dark, cold, lonely stretches. I guess it depends where you are when you need help.

Well yeah not to mention those lonely stretches are the sort of areas that are probably better for biking.  If you try to drive a bike through my city you pretty much have a death wish especially this time of year. 

• Like 3

I'm not worried about her being forced into some sort of shelter, but I am worried about her being threatened with arrest for trespassing and forced to move on in the dark (best case senario) or shot (worst case) by suspicious land owner. This is upstate NY, there are a lot of guns about and people know how to use them.  My friend's dad regularly patrolled his land with a gun. It's pretty darn common.  And they are already used to pot growers trying to sneak onto isolated plots of land to set up little patches of pot amidst the corn..or worse.

Good point. On the bright side, I guess it won't be prime pot growing season.

• Like 2

Oh, she's a Texan. I rest my case.Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“

ETA- it's a joke, people. I'm a native Texan who, smart enough to get the heck out of TX, chose to retire in NY!

Hey, so since you're a retired native Texan, maybe you'd like to take a bicycle trip in the nearby future with another native Texan?

ETA: I'm out of likes. I don't think I've been out of likes before, but I am.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Well, my spouse has a very unusual amount of outdoor experience, in a variety of weather conditions and rugged terrains, including a biking trip all the way from Vermont to Seattle, hiking in the Himalayas, winter backpacking on cross-country skis and/or snowshoes in deep wilderness in the Rockies, and much more.  So, would I be freaked out?  Not at all.  

But I would be pretty surprised!  :lol:  Winter, for him, is for skiing or hiking.  Not for biking.  Would she consider a hike instead?  Or would time and finances allow for her to go some place warmer to bike?  Winter is the time to go biking in Sedona or Moab, not NY state!  :D  I'm just guessing, I can't read his mind, but I suspect he would say that a biking trip from Buffalo to Albany in winter would be more trouble than it would be worth.  Not because he's at all wimpy about winter weather - he loves winter.  I've just never known him to do much biking in winter.  

• Like 4

The bolded is the angle I would go for.  It concedes the main point (using the time off to do this thing, the feasibility of doing the thing in the first place, etc.) and thus may just satisfy the mania, esp. if it is only hypomania so far.  At the same time, it softens the blow of the whole thing.  You might have to do a fair bit of research and sounding like you are invested and excited for the project to convince her to do it this way, though.

• Like 3

She's planning on keeping phone and battery pack under her clothes for warmth. How long help would take... there are towns along the way, some/most of which should have police departments. So, in theory, it shouldn't take many hours for help to get to her. That said, I'm not enthusiastic about the need to call a local police department or ambulance or w/e for help for something preventable.

My phone has died in cold weather in a shirt pocket, under my coat. With low temps this might not work at all. Has she experimented with this for an extended period of time outdoors?

Amy

• Like 4

I nearly hit a cyclist on the road the other night. He had a light, but wasn't easy to see at all. Because of the snow plowed onto the shoulder he had to bike in the middle of the lane. It was very scary. I was very lucky in that I managed to swerve into the other lane to avoid him, as it was impossible to stop that quickly - and I wasn't going as fast as people do on highways.

I keep thinking of this person planning a cycle in January and potentially getting creamed by a car. I pray they don't do this trip this time of year.

• Like 2

It's interesting to see the perspectives here.  I can see who are the worst-case scenario people, and the best case.  I am a worst-case scenario person.  

The idea of keeping the cell phone under clothing to preserve battery life blows my mind.  If she falls/gets knocked off the bike, she may not be able to maneuver through the clothing to get the phone.  If she falls off the bike in white-out conditions, a car may hit her and not have a clue they've hit a person, but think it's some sort of "natural" obstruction in the road , and drive on.  She could be 500 feet from a building where help could be obtained, but it's not going to matter if no one knows she is there.   

The more I read this thread, the more baffled I am that this trip is even a consideration.  I'm kind of getting angry on your behalf, OP, because of the worry it must be causing you.

• Like 7

So, I found my wife sleeping in the back yard. I'm so tempted to either walk over there with a flashlight, and tell her that she's trespassing, and to get off my land or I'll shoot, or, alternatively, to create some precipitation. I can't do the latter though, as the snow on the ground is pretty dense by now, and I don't want to drop big chunks on her, and I don't really have a way to make it rain realistically (I have a watering can, but it will let too much water out at once). And I probably shouldn't do either, as sleep deprivation can make bipolar issues worse, and I don't need her spiraling further out of control - she at least still seems mostly in touch with reality at the moment - overconfident, yes, but not fullblown manic batshit crazy. No "I'm going to quit my job and bicycle around the world in 80 days" or w/e kind of nonsense. She's working this week, so I need her to stay functional and be able to do her job. But I so, so want to walk out there and either do the flashlight thing or the precipitation thing (actually I wanna do both, but that wouldn't be possible).

In other news, I tried to set up an appointment with my psych, and surprisingly actually managed to get an appointment for this week (surprising because it's close to the holidays, and a lot of people get more crazy this time of year, and I hadn't seen my psych in 1.5 years). So, at least I'll be able to brainstorm with a mental health professional from around here.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 9

On the bright side, she came stumbling in right after I finished that post, something about needing to move the car (our car is blocking the neighbor's car - no street parking between 2 and 6am). And after moving the car she said something about going to get more sleep, and went to our bedroom.

• Like 8

If she's sleeping that's a good thing though.  My dad when at the worst could go weeks without sleeping. 

I probably should've clarified upthread that she's diagnosed with bipolar 2, not 1. Her sleep will get wonky, staying up too late, mostly, but she cannot get by without sleep (and, if she stays up too late, that usually results in sleeping in too late). Of course, having a bipolar 2 diagnosis doesn't guarantee that she'll stay bipolar 2 forever - there's always the possibility that she'll experience a full-blown manic episode and get moved into the bipolar 1 category.

But yes, sleep is good. Indoor sleep is even better (though it was a nice and toasty 24F when I woke up).

• Like 2

I nearly hit a cyclist on the road the other night. He had a light, but wasn't easy to see at all. Because of the snow plowed onto the shoulder he had to bike in the middle of the lane. It was very scary. I was very lucky in that I managed to swerve into the other lane to avoid him, as it was impossible to stop that quickly - and I wasn't going as fast as people do on highways.

I keep thinking of this person planning a cycle in January and potentially getting creamed by a car. I pray they don't do this trip this time of year.

You are lucky that there wasn't a car approaching in the lane that you swerved into to avoid the biker.  It makes me angry to think that a biker is putting other lives in danger because of her poor judgement.

Recreational bikers should find another activity when the road conditions prevent them from riding in their designated area on the side of the road.  They are putting more people's lives in jeopardy than just their own when they are in the middle of the road.  

I live in a very rural area with hilly, narrow, unlit roads with speed limits between 45 and 55 mph. ( From our travels through NY state, I think our roads are very similar to those in rural NY.) Every summer, a biker is killed travelling on these roads when neither the biker nor the motorist did anything wrong.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to travel on these types of roads in the winter.  

• Like 1

You are lucky that there wasn't a car approaching in the lane that you swerved into to avoid the biker.  It makes me angry to think that a biker is putting other lives in danger because of her poor judgement.

Recreational bikers should find another activity when the road conditions prevent them from riding in their designated area on the side of the road.  They are putting more people's lives in jeopardy than just their own when they are in the middle of the road.  

I live in a very rural area with hilly, narrow, unlit roads with speed limits between 45 and 55 mph. ( From our travels through NY state, I think our roads are very similar to those in rural NY.) Every summer, a biker is killed travelling on these roads when neither the biker nor the motorist did anything wrong.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to travel on these types of roads in the winter.  

She didn't say it was a recreational biker. And if you're that concerned, maybe lobby to have bicycle paths that are cleared of snow. Cars don't have a sole right to using the road, and we could probably start a conversation about how many people are indirectly killed by the pollution caused by using a car instead of a bicycle, but all of that has nothing to do with this thread.

• Like 7

She didn't say it was a recreational biker. And if you're that concerned, maybe lobby to have bicycle paths that are cleared of snow. Cars don't have a sole right to using the road, and we could probably start a conversation about how many people are indirectly killed by the pollution caused by using a car instead of a bicycle, but all of that has nothing to do with this thread.

My definition of a recreational biker is someone who is biking for exercise/pleasure rather than needing to bike because she doesn't have any other form of transportation to get where she needs to be. 

Under this definition, your wife is definitely a recreational biker who will be traveling on roads that are not going to have the normal biking space available because the bike lane more than likely will not be "bikeable" due to snow on the roads.  This will force your wife to also ride her bike in the middle of the road in the exact same situation that wintermom experienced.  Unsuspecting drivers will come upon your wife and will have to perform evasive maneuvers putting everyone on that stretch of road in harms way.

• Like 2

Legally, bikes have as much right to be in the middle of the road when warranted (such as snow accumulation in the bike lane) as cars do. Realistically, cars aren't looking out for them in the middle winter, and common sense would dictate that good safety precautions are taken by the person more likely to be killed should an accident occur.

People bike here all year round, even on hilly rural roads. However, there is a huge difference between choosing a day with favourable conditions (dry road, good visibility, in the middle of the day when light is least compromised, and so on) and being at the mercy of the conditions because of some personal quest.

To call this idea unwise is being kind.

• Like 4

From someone earlier:

"It sounds like she has thought it out and has at least two bail-out plans (train or you with bike rack). Rural roads are probably safer overall with fewer cars. If she has cell coverage then she can call you frequently and could get map guidance when needed."

That was me.  I think we all understand that safety is a relative word in this context.

Luuknam - could she do it in stages? Like a two day trip, then you bring her home or meet for a night at a hotel, then a three day stretch.  Something like that might make it easier to call off if the weather gets cold.

All this is assuming an appropriate level of planning, that's just good practice, right? Part of planning a trip is adequate communication with the people around you. 

Best of luck to you both.

I probably should've clarified upthread that she's diagnosed with bipolar 2, not 1. Her sleep will get wonky, staying up too late, mostly, but she cannot get by without sleep (and, if she stays up too late, that usually results in sleeping in too late). Of course, having a bipolar 2 diagnosis doesn't guarantee that she'll stay bipolar 2 forever - there's always the possibility that she'll experience a full-blown manic episode and get moved into the bipolar 1 category.

But yes, sleep is good. Indoor sleep is even better (though it was a nice and toasty 24F when I woke up).

Ah

Well she could also possibly stabilize as she gets older.  At least my dad did.  He really hasn't had a major episode in close to 20 years.

• Like 1

Cyclists do have a right to use the road. The reality is, though, they will lose in a collision with a vehicle every single time whether they were faultless or not.

Cyclists get killed far too often in my city. Even on separate, designated cycling lanes they get hit by cars.  This is the reality of our roads in North America.

• Like 4

Legally, bikes have as much right to be in the middle of the road when warranted (such as snow accumulation in the bike lane) as cars do. Realistically, cars aren't looking out for them in the middle winter, and common sense would dictate that good safety precautions are taken by the person more likely to be killed should an accident occur.

People bike here all year round, even on hilly rural roads. However, there is a huge difference between choosing a day with favourable conditions (dry road, good visibility, in the middle of the day when light is least compromised, and so on) and being at the mercy of the conditions because of some personal quest.

To call this idea unwise is being kind.

No actually that's not exactly true (in NY at least).

§ 1234. Riding on roadways, shoulders, bicycle or in-line skate lanes and bicycle or in-line skate paths. (a) Upon all roadways, any bicycle or in-line skate shall be driven either on a usable bicycle or in-line skate lane or, if a usable bicycle or in-line skate lane has not been provided, near the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway or upon a usable right-hand shoulder in such a manner as to prevent undue interference with the flow of traffic except when preparing for a left turn or when reasonably necessary to avoid conditions that would make it unsafe to continue along near the right-hand curb or edge. Conditions to be taken into consideration include, but are not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, in-line skates, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards or traffic lanes too narrow for a bicycle or person on in-line skates and a vehicle to travel safely side-by-side within the lane.

So basically they cannot be in the middle of the road unless there is a reasonable reason they are there (obstruction, taking a turn, etc.). 

• Like 5

§ 1234. Riding on roadways, shoulders, bicycle or in-line skate lanes and bicycle or in-line skate paths. (a) Upon all roadways, any bicycle or in-line skate shall be driven either on a usable bicycle or in-line skate lane or, if a usable bicycle or in-line skate lane has not been provided, near the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway or upon a usable right-hand shoulder in such a manner as to prevent undue interference with the flow of traffic except when preparing for a left turn or when reasonably necessary to avoid conditions that would make it unsafe to continue along near the right-hand curb or edge. Conditions to be taken into consideration include, but are not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, in-line skates, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards or traffic lanes too narrow for a bicycle or person on in-line skates and a vehicle to travel safely side-by-side within the lane.

So basically they cannot be in the middle of the road unless there is a reasonable reason they are there (obstruction, taking a turn, etc.).

Yes, I think it's different in Maine. Although, there would be an obstruction--snow--preventing a cyclist from riding on the right. She should definitely know and understand her legal rights, although they are a moot point if she doesn't survive a collision. Legality only goes so far.

• Like 3

I bolded the part that seems to agree with what MEMama was saying.  In my area rarely is the road wide enough to safely let a bike ride beside a car. Sure, the bike can ride on the right, but they often have hazards there like parked cars, road debris, etc.  It's less safe to ride on the right and swerve in and out of the main traffic lane to avoid parked cars or debris. Cyclists can't usually see who is coming behind them and cars often can't judge how much space a cyclist needs to go around a parked car or other hazard. 

Choosing where to ride in NY in January could be tough- cars aren't expecting a bike in the road but the sides of the road will likely have accumulated ice or snow.  Where the cars drive is probably more clear of snow and ice. 

Honestly I prefer the rules of the road here because cyclists have the right to use the lane just as a car would. I've seen too many cars misjudge when they go around a cyclist who is on the right edge of the road.  I lost a friend that way. 

• Like 2

Honestly I prefer the rules of the road here because cyclists have the right to use the lane just as a car would. I've seen too many cars misjudge when they go around a cyclist who is on the right edge of the road.  I lost a friend that way. 

:grouphug:

A good friend of mine lost her brother in a biking accident a couple of years ago.  Neither he nor the motorist did anything wrong - he was making a left hand turn just shy of the peak of a hill and the motorist was approaching from the other direction and hit him head-on.  She was not speeding, but came upon him too fast to avoid hitting him.  (The speed limit of the rural road was 55 mph)

OP, I hope you can convince your wife not to make this trip in the winter.

• Like 2

Yes, I think it's different in Maine. Although, there would be an obstruction--snow--preventing a cyclist from riding on the right. She should definitely know and understand her legal rights, although they are a moot point if she doesn't survive a collision. Legality only goes so far.

As my dad would say, "You can be right, but you'd be dead."

• Like 8

:grouphug:

A good friend of mine lost her brother in a biking accident a couple of years ago.  Neither he nor the motorist did anything wrong - he was making a left hand turn just shy of the peak of a hill and the motorist was approaching from the other direction and hit him head-on.  She was not speeding, but came upon him too fast to avoid hitting him.  (The speed limit of the rural road was 55 mph)

OP, I hope you can convince your wife not to make this trip in the winter.

Yup- like someone upthread mentioned-even if neither car or cyclist do anything wrong, the cyclist is going to bear the brunt of the accident.  But I'm sure the motorist in the accident above felt awful too.

I hope if the OP's wife takes this trip she will be super careful and only ride during full daylight and on roads that are biker friendly. And a whole host of other precautions, too!

You know what I have to watch for? Snowmobiles! They pop out like deer and scare me to death- they cross the road without stopping to look.  And they ride day and night.  Our bike trail is closed to bikes and pedestrians now because it's too dangerous to  share the path. 

• Like 2

My definition of a recreational biker is someone who is biking for exercise/pleasure rather than needing to bike because she doesn't have any other form of transportation to get where she needs to be. 

Under this definition, your wife is definitely a recreational biker who will be traveling on roads that are not going to have the normal biking space available because the bike lane more than likely will not be "bikeable" due to snow on the roads.  This will force your wife to also ride her bike in the middle of the road in the exact same situation that wintermom experienced.  Unsuspecting drivers will come upon your wife and will have to perform evasive maneuvers putting everyone on that stretch of road in harms way.

Your rant was about the biker wintermom mentioned. We have no idea if that person was a recreational biker, so that rant was unwarranted. That was all. Of course my wife would be a recreational biker in this instance (not when she commutes to work though).

Anyhow, she got up at 9am and said she was still feeling cold (after having been inside for 2.5 hours, and it's not like we keep our house chilly). So, I'm getting the impression she may be changing her mind.

• Like 8

I bolded the part that seems to agree with what MEMama was saying.  In my area rarely is the road wide enough to safely let a bike ride beside a car. Sure, the bike can ride on the right, but they often have hazards there like parked cars, road debris, etc.  It's less safe to ride on the right and swerve in and out of the main traffic lane to avoid parked cars or debris. Cyclists can't usually see who is coming behind them and cars often can't judge how much space a cyclist needs to go around a parked car or other hazard. 

Choosing where to ride in NY in January could be tough- cars aren't expecting a bike in the road but the sides of the road will likely have accumulated ice or snow.  Where the cars drive is probably more clear of snow and ice. 

Ah yeah.  Here the streets are generally fairly wide.

The way the roads are aren't terribly friendly towards cyclists.  It's hard to ride near them.  I am super duper careful, but then that usually means I'm crawling when I have to pass them.  I wish more places would have bike lanes. 

• Like 2

You are lucky that there wasn't a car approaching in the lane that you swerved into to avoid the biker. It makes me angry to think that a biker is putting other lives in danger because of her poor judgement.

Recreational bikers should find another activity when the road conditions prevent them from riding in their designated area on the side of the road. They are putting more people's lives in jeopardy than just their own when they are in the middle of the road.

I live in a very rural area with hilly, narrow, unlit roads with speed limits between 45 and 55 mph. ( From our travels through NY state, I think our roads are very similar to those in rural NY.) Every summer, a biker is killed travelling on these roads when neither the biker nor the motorist did anything wrong. I can't imagine anyone wanting to travel on these types of roads in the winter.

You do realize the cyclist is a vehicle and is NOT supposed to be on the shoulder or sidewalk, right? Not every road has bike lanes or multi use trails, and if they are impassible the road is a legal and acceptable location even in states that have them. This sort of thing drives me nuts as a cyclist - they have every right to be in the lane and are indeed safer there than forced off to the side. They need to be in the right hand lane unless make a turn requiring their movement to the center or left, but I've found its drivers who don't understand that they aren't the only vehicle with road rights, along with a handful of stupid cyclists who aren't consistent in their maneuvering, that are the issue at hand. The bike isn't doing anything wrong even by cycling in winter. Sheesh. Edited by Arctic Mama

You do realize the cyclist is a vehicle and is NOT supposed to be on the shoulder or sidewalk, right? This sort of thing drives me nuts as a cyclist - they have every right to be in the land and are indeed safer there than forced off to the side. They need to be in the right hand lane unless make a turn requiring their movement to the center or left, but I've found its drivers who don't understand that they aren't the only vehicle with road rights, along with a handful of stupid cyclists who aren't consistent in their maneuvering, that are the issue at hand. The bike isn't doing anything wrong even by cycling in winter. Sheesh.

Again, no that is not correct everywhere.

Here they are supposed to be towards the side whenever possible.

• Like 2

Anyhow, she got up at 9am and said she was still feeling cold (after having been inside for 2.5 hours, and it's not like we keep our house chilly). So, I'm getting the impression she may be changing her mind.

And, nope. She just came downstairs (she's working from home today) and told me she considered last night to be a success. She spent 6 hours out there, and she's blaming the still feeling cold at 9 on being ill (I've had a cold for a few days now, so yeah, she might have a cold too - or, she might just be cold because she slept outside  :banghead:  ).

• Like 2

Again, no that is not correct everywhere.

Here they are supposed to be towards the side whenever possible.

So they are forcing cyclists to ride in the ditch? Again, the center to right half of a lane is one thing, but off on the shoulder is not. State law is requiring a vehicle to be operated off a legal road surface? Edited by Arctic Mama